PDA

View Full Version : Styles / Genres

linesix
08-May-06, 20:26
Looking at other threads , and thought i would start one my self for e' crack.

what all genres do you know of?? what do think of the meaning 'genre'?? etc.

my personal out look is that the whole , getting put into a category idea has gone a bit o.t.t ..... music is a universal language - everyone can relate to it, but i mean com'on lol - music is music, no matter what you call it lol ..... off the top of my head i can think of a few genres:

pop (by far the most twisted from its original meaning!!)
rock
rock n roll
blues
jazz
heavy rock
melodic rock
celtic rock
progressive rock
metal
heavy metal
heavy netal
nu metal
new metal
death matel
progressive metal
stoner metal
sort metal
experimental metal
indie
garage indie
underground indie
punk
scar punk
skate punk
pop punk
scremo
emo

etc etc ......... just to name a few lol!!

Chobbersjnr
08-May-06, 22:02
wow

yesiree there's a lot of splinters from the same style ie. metal & rock to name but 2

as a working session musician it's handy to be familiar with different genres. So for instance if I don't know the track in question the front dude can tell me it's...........rock & roll with a reggae bridge. That sort of thing

In this day & age you can generally take the sub genres & reduce it back to the genre eg. metal & rock

some of these genres are so modern I've never heard of half of them. The term metal started getting knocked about in the 70s (anyone older & more experienced feel free to pounce:Razz ) & rock & roll came about in the mid 50s, essentially the big/dance bands of the day that where all ace muso's started playing simple songs absolutely perfectly..................& the up & coming muso's of the rock & roll era started copying the rock & rollers without taking on what the originals had learned. Remembering that the original rock & rollers knew their instruments inside out & could play anything of the time

anyway I digress

as I said, I think of genre as a handy guide to help me know what I might be getting into. Also genre is there for others (& myself) to explore, if there was no genre & just music what would I diversify into as a player??. Also genres suggest images to people, for instance a jazz band might typically suggest trumpets & saxaphones & a rock & roll band might suggest sharp suits & quiffs where as classical suggests an image of sometimes boredom (I do like a lot of classical BTW)

There are certain elements that can't be changed in so far that (to a point!!) music is not what you want it to be, reggae music is not modern-classical-punk-folk because I want it to be, it's reggae always has been & always will be. There are the musicians & bands that have successfully crossed genres & come out laughing & in doing so create another genre!! (holds head as musical database of the brain starts to crash)

So it never ends really, but as many different genres as there are these days you can't ignore the fact that it all goes back to some cave man whacking a hollow tree with his latest hunt victim

Oh yeah & in medevil france they took it so seriously if you were caught practicing the art of music without qualifications you were (nothing to serious) EXECUTED!!!.........go figure

we got it to easy

what about
Psychadelic rock?? (good ol' sanfrancisco)
Funk
Classical
Country...
& western (apparently they are individual styles....you just got to be brain dead enough to differentiate)

just looking at the original post again there's about 9-10 genres/styles behind the list mentioned

cripes that was good typing practice I must say
TA folks

Deemac
08-May-06, 23:16
Billy goat poo paa
Pit band Panto
Free Jazz
Smooth Jazz
Cool Jazz
Ceilidh stomp
Celtic Acoustic
Blue Grass
Swing
Ping
Marching Band
Parade Ground March . . . .

So WHERE does the "Billy Goat Poo Paa" fit in with all this? Any takers?

Genres, just a bunch of labels on the jam jars!! Tribalism, no more, no less!!

Chobbersjnr
09-May-06, 00:38
Tribalism, no more, no less!!

what?? please explain

& I know I'd be hacked off getting raspberry jam when I wanted strawberry

or getting an ACDC cover duo when you're expecting an irish show band

Deemac
09-May-06, 19:51
I think this planet might just turn a bit more smoothly if you did on occasions get an Irish Show Band instead of AC/DC!!

An intelligent, open person, would take time to listen for a while, assess, maybe judge whether the music had any merit or musicianship that might touch you on a different level.

Believe me, I WAS that AC/DC fan once (well actually - Rush), with a highly developed blinkered musical vision!! Now, with experience and maturity I will listen to almost anything (Daniel O'Donnell excluded of course!!) that has been played and produced well and gets to me on some emotional level.

Yes, O course I have my own personnal preferences, who doesn't, but we could all do with de-emphasising this media fed obsession with genres and labels. It just ain't healthy.

At the end of the day its all music, food for the soul.

zebedy
09-May-06, 20:02
another " taste of almonds " one in its own eh Chobbers??

heehe

And sorry

But sum1 tell me.. Wat EMO is!

I see it as a kid with hair over one eye with tight black jeans who is really sad listening to Dashboard Confessional!

Anyone agree?

Jeid
09-May-06, 22:01
another " taste of almonds " one in its own eh Chobbers??

heehe

And sorry

But sum1 tell me.. Wat EMO is!

I see it as a kid with hair over one eye with tight black jeans who is really sad listening to Dashboard Confessional!

Anyone agree?

Its a fashion... not a musical genre

Bellz
10-May-06, 11:27
Isn't EMO just music that is somebody singing about being depressed or something? (EMOtional perhaps?) ANyways, i have a cd that describes itself as "Symphonic Epic Power Metal". How ridiculous is that? (the cd is by a band called Rhapsody if anyone cares!)

Jeid
10-May-06, 13:03
Emotional?... Surely that makes every type of music EMO. Everyone puts emotion into music, even Symphonic Epic Power Metal

Chobbersjnr
10-May-06, 13:38
Emotional?... Surely that makes every type of music EMO. Everyone puts emotion into music, even Symphonic Epic Power Metal

yep to true

EMO funk/baroque:Razz

linesix
11-May-06, 09:00
to my knowledge, Emo = Emotive music ....... so yeah, basically emotional!;)

good points back there Chobbersjnr!

a few other genres have popped into mind , all leading from the metal/rock n roll/cavemam with stick :

Hardcore
Post Hardcore
Pre Hardcore

lol ......... dont ask[lol]

Jeid
11-May-06, 12:25
to my knowledge, Emo = Emotive music ....... so yeah, basically emotional!;)

But all music is "emotive" so, you're basically saying all music is Emo?

zebedy
11-May-06, 13:02
EMO is a fashion

Its not a genre of music...

its a fashion along side loads like Mosher, NED, Etc

An entire subculture of people (usually angsty teens) with a fake personality. The concept of Emo is actually a vicious cycle that never ends, to the utter failing of humanity, and it goes something like this:

1. Girls say they like "sensitive guys" (lie)
2. Guy finds out, so he listens to faggy emo music and dresses like a dork so chicks will see that he is sensitive and not afraid to express himself (lie). He dyes his hair black, wraps himself in a stupid looking scarf, develops an eating disorder, and rants about how "nobody understands".
3. Now an emo guy, he meets Emo chick and they start dating, talking about how their well-off suburban lifestyles are terrible and depressing (lie)
4. Emo guy is just too much of a pussy. His penis is too small, he's too depressed to bathe, and has more mood swings than emo chick, and he doesn't even have a menstrual cycle. Emo chick dumps him, saying "It's not you, it's me." (lie) as she drives off with Wayne, the school jock and captain of the football team.
5. Emo guy goes home and cries, proceeds to write a weak song and strum a single string on his acoustic guitar. Another emo chick sees how he is so in touch with his feelings, and the cycle continues.

This is the sad truth of the emo lifestyle/music, and now that I look at how pathetic it really is, maybe the emos DO have something to cry about!

When she sees how sensitive and emo I have become, she'll definately go out with me!

moncur
11-May-06, 13:27
Thats a bit harsh zeb, yet very funny! I dont really get why people dress according to the music they're into. for example blink 182 style bands (notice how i didn't say 'punk') dressing up in skater shoes, dickies shorts hanging past their behind, a t-shirt, a hat and obligatory lip piercing to upset their MOM and dad. Then theres rock bands all dressed up in leather with greasy long hair and harley davidson vests that belonged to their elders. I'm not complaining but I just cant understand it.

Jeid
11-May-06, 14:03
Its not a genre of music...

2. Guy finds out, so he listens to faggy emo music...

Thought you said Emo wasn't a genre of music?

Nothing wrong with showing what you're into Moncur. I guess I dress according to the music I'm into. It's like wearing a t-shirt with a band name on it. You show you like that band. People follow bands and generally follow their fashion.

zebedy
11-May-06, 14:22
o well its wat a urban dictionary told me!

Jeid
11-May-06, 14:33
Then it contradicts itself :)

Chobbersjnr
11-May-06, 14:49
Then it contradicts itself :)

contradictory dictionaries

what a band name

tierce-de-picardie
11-May-06, 19:03
hmm ill have a think of sum.

swing
acid jazz
jazz fussion
baroque
renaisennce
romantic
new romantic
neo-classical
latin
fox trot
minimilism
grunge
speed metal
proggy jazz
proggy house
trance
trip-hop
a cappella
rockabilly
ska
nu-jazz
lounge
soul
industrial
grindcore
goth
acoustic
funk
drum n' bass
brass
gypsy speed
reggae
negro spiritual
plainchant (gregorian chanting)
glam
soundtrack
ambient
experimental

ive probly repeated half of wots already been said oh well its killd 10 min of bein bored he he.

davem
11-May-06, 20:35
you forgot psycho billy

Chobbersjnr
11-May-06, 20:41
you forgot psycho billy

LOL

it's been taken a touch to far

but no matter how many splinters the core "styles/genres" will never go away

whats gypsy speed BTW