PDA

View Full Version : castletown shop

sam
08-May-06, 18:52
I went into the shop in castletown for a lettuce and a small bottle of lucozade the lettuce was £1.39 & the lucozade £1.09, i know that smaller shops tend to charge a bit more but that is ridiculous.
you can buy a letttuce for 89p and a bottle of lucozade for 95p in the town so how can they justify the prices that they charge[disgust]

Big G
08-May-06, 19:03
Yeah i quite believe it, it is really expensive that shop!

Btw their capaldi's ice cream is V Good but its 89p for a small small tub!

connieb19
08-May-06, 19:10
The thing is, they have no competition. They can charge whatever they like because they know people have no choice. :( Some-one should open the other shop along the road..

emszxr
08-May-06, 19:42
is that the shop owned by john murray

ullevi
08-May-06, 20:32
Just bought a lettuce for 39p and the Lucozade was 69p anyone beat that

connieb19
08-May-06, 20:34
Just bought a lettuce for 39p and the Lucozade was 69p anyone beat thatWas that from the Castletown shop?

Big G
08-May-06, 20:57
is that the shop owned by john murray

yes it's John Murray that owns it!

mareng
08-May-06, 21:12
I went into the shop in castletown for a lettuce and a small bottle of lucozade the lettuce was £1.39 & the lucozade £1.09, i know that smaller shops tend to charge a bit more but that is ridiculous.
you can buy a letttuce for 89p and a bottle of lucozade for 95p in the town so how can they justify the prices that they charge[disgust]

14p extra on the Lucozade - you're kidding, right?

What do you expect with the differences in economic scale compared to the supermarkets?

Tell you what............. Stop shopping in the local shop, then when it closes - see how you get on.

Be sure to let us all know.

sam
08-May-06, 21:20
14p extra on the Lucozade - you're kidding, right?

What do you expect with the differences in economic scale compared to the supermarkets?

Tell you what............. Stop shopping in the local shop, then when it closes - see how you get on.

Be sure to let us all know.

i certainly dont expect to be ripped off, there is no excuse for prices like that, i dont care what anyone says i know they have overheads and all the rest of it but there are other small shops dont charge to that extreme.
as for shopping locally i certainly didnt pay the prices they were asking am not that stupid[disgust]

William
08-May-06, 23:47

Sorry but i think you might have seen the price for the bigger bottle of lucozade there is not much difference in size but there is a 380ml bottle and a 500ml bottle cos i get the 380ml one when i go in there and it is not that dear as for the lettuce i leave that for the healthy people lol

fred
09-May-06, 09:06
Sorry but i think you might have seen the price for the bigger bottle of lucozade there is not much difference in size but there is a 380ml bottle and a 500ml bottle cos i get the 380ml one when i go in there and it is not that dear as for the lettuce i leave that for the healthy people lol

I think if anyone stops and thinks about the problems of selling perishable goods in a small shop they will realise why they are so expensive.

If you have to buy a box of lettuce from the wholesaler but only sell half a box and throw the other half away you lose money. You have the choice of not stocking lettuce and letting people drive to Wick or Thurso if the sun shines and they fancy a salad or charging more to pay for the waste.

fred
09-May-06, 09:24
The thing is, they have no competition. They can charge whatever they like because they know people have no choice. :( Some-one should open the other shop along the road..

That would be the shop that was making so much money ripping off the locals that it closed down would it?

A small shop can't sell things as cheaply as a supermarket I would have thought that was obvious. It doesn't mean the small shop keeper is ripping people off it just means he has to pay more when he buys and has higher overheads per customer.

When I see a small shopkeeper driving round in a Rolls Royce like the Directors of supermarket companies do then I'll believe they are ripping people off but all I'm seeing at the moment is small shops closing down because they can't make a living.

On the Tesco board, it was the commercial and trading director, John Gildersleeve, rather than the chief executive, Sir Terry Leahy, who was the highest-paid director in the 2004-05 financial year. Mr Gildersleeve's pay topped £6m after his retirement from the board after 20 years prompted him to cash in all his long-term performance plans and share option schemes. Sir Terry's total was just over £4m.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/executivepay/story/0,,1542124,00.html

Marty McFly
09-May-06, 12:42
i certainly dont expect to be ripped off, there is no excuse for prices like that, i dont care what anyone says i know they have overheads and all the rest of it but there are other small shops dont charge to that extreme.
as for shopping locally i certainly didnt pay the prices they were asking am not that stupid[disgust]

I can't really work out whether posts like this annoy me because of the greed and/or ignorance displayed, or the whole "local shop/supermarket giant" arguement that has appeared countless times in recent weeks in the Org.

Just because a small shop charges excessively doesn't mean anyone is being "ripped off". Try asking anyone who runs such a shop...they'll tell you how difficult it is to make ends meet these days when faced with other stores that can buy more bottles of Lucozade in a day than the wee shop will sell in a year. And you think they can price competitively?

If you've never run a shop, or owned one, it may be hard to grasp the economics of it all. But open your eyes...take a look around Wick and Thurso...count how many local shops have closed in this last year alone or are about to close.

Like Fred says, wait 'till local shopkeepers are driving Rollers before you announce your lack of stupidity. [disgust]

sam
09-May-06, 18:11
I can't really work out whether posts like this annoy me because of the greed and/or ignorance displayed, or the whole "local shop/supermarket giant" arguement that has appeared countless times in recent weeks in the Org.

Just because a small shop charges excessively doesn't mean anyone is being "ripped off". Try asking anyone who runs such a shop...they'll tell you how difficult it is to make ends meet these days when faced with other stores that can buy more bottles of Lucozade in a day than the wee shop will sell in a year. And you think they can price competitively?

If you've never run a shop, or owned one, it may be hard to grasp the economics of it all. But open your eyes...take a look around Wick and Thurso...count how many local shops have closed in this last year alone or are about to close.

Like Fred says, wait 'till local shopkeepers are driving Rollers before you announce your lack of stupidity. [disgust]
#
As for my lack of stupidity? what the heck is that all about lol!!
please do explain what you mean by lack of stupidity, or is it that i am just not as stupid as you.
I do realise that small shops have to charge a bit more for their goods , but when i went to town and bought the lucozade and lettuce there, it was cheaper and from another small shop. You just like a few others just assumed that i had bought it from a supermarket, so maybe next time you will get your facts right before blowing your mouth off lol[disgust]

sam
09-May-06, 18:13

i know it was the bigger of the two small bottle's lol but still 14p of a difference is bang out of order when another small shop in town can sell it at the cheaper price.[disgust]

sam
09-May-06, 18:15
I think if anyone stops and thinks about the problems of selling perishable goods in a small shop they will realise why they are so expensive.

If you have to buy a box of lettuce from the wholesaler but only sell half a box and throw the other half away you lose money. You have the choice of not stocking lettuce and letting people drive to Wick or Thurso if the sun shines and they fancy a salad or charging more to pay for the waste.

its no wonder they would only sell half a box at that price, and they had the cheek to tell me the price was so high cos the lettuce's are out of season. i dont think so lol[disgust]

fred
09-May-06, 18:52

I knew a butcher had to make all but the middle bit of his sausages out of bread because he had difficulty making ends meet.

connieb19
09-May-06, 21:41

If you have to buy a box of lettuce from the wholesaler but only sell half a box and throw the other half away you lose money. You have the choice of not stocking lettuce and letting people drive to Wick or Thurso if the sun shines and they fancy a salad or charging more to pay for the waste.I'm not surprised they're throwing half the lettuces away, at £1.39 each I'm surprised they manage to sell any at all. :roll:

pultneytooner
09-May-06, 21:56

I thought the small shops bought from wholesalers, are they being ripped off by these companies, I doubt it?
Also, are you saying they can't buy their goods at a decent price and still still make a healtyhy profit when they sell them to the public?
I reckon they could survive well enough without ripping the eyes out of people.

fred
09-May-06, 22:08
I'm not surprised they're throwing half the lettuces away, at £1.39 each I'm surprised they manage to sell any at all. :roll:

They wouldn't sell a lot of lettuce anyway, theres no way they can sell them cheaper than the supermarkets and it's not the sort of thing you run out of and have to run out and buy like coffee, sugar or whisky. Not the sort of thing someone suddenly gets a craving for like ice cream, not essential like bread or milk, not the sort of thing you find you need for a recipe, more the sort of thing you can manage without.

I think that the shop owner should be commended for doing the community a service by stocking them at all.

sam
09-May-06, 22:13
They wouldn't sell a lot of lettuce anyway, theres no way they can sell them cheaper than the supermarkets and it's not the sort of thing you run out of and have to run out and buy like coffee, sugar or whisky. Not the sort of thing someone suddenly gets a craving for like ice cream, not essential like bread or milk, not the sort of thing you find you need for a recipe, more the sort of thing you can manage without.

I think that the shop owner should be commended for doing the community a service by stocking them at all.

so how do you explain smaller shops in the town selling them cheaper then:confused:

pultneytooner
09-May-06, 22:15

Do we not grow vegetables locally that these shops could buy, grocers used to manage to sell vegetables and didn't need a commendation for being heroes of the community. Is the mark up on a jar of coffee higher than a lettuce in this shop?

sam...so how do you explain smaller shops in the town selling them cheaper thenWhen they have a monopoly on your custom as far as nipping out for things you've just ran out of and want quickly, then they try and charge what they like and rather than head to the supermarket most people will just pay the price.

connieb19
09-May-06, 22:18

I think that the shop owner should be commended for doing the community a service by stocking them at all.I disagree, for me anyway, I find lettuce is a essential, and I will run out to buy one, but at £1.39, I've now decided to grow my own..:)

sam
09-May-06, 22:19
Do we not grow vegetables locally that these shops could buy, grocers used to manage to sell vegetables and didn't need a commendation for being heroes of the community. Is the mark up on a jar of coffee higher than a lettuce in this shop?

well said, if they supplied more locally produced produce then they could lower the prices, although i must admit they do sell some local produce like tatties and eggs.

fred
09-May-06, 22:19
I thought the small shops bought from wholesalers, are they being ripped off by these companies, I doubt it?

The wholesaler doesn't have anything like the buying power of a supermarket chain hence can't buy things as cheaply and then the wholesaler has to make a profit as well.

It's the supermarkets that are ripping people off, with their advantages they should be able to sell things even cheaper than they do, British supermarkets make four times the profit of supermarkets on the continent. The small shops are strugling to make a profit at all and are closing down at an alarming rate.

sam
09-May-06, 22:22
I disagree, for me anyway, I find lettuce is a essential, and I will run out to buy one, but at £1.39, I've now decided to grow my own..:)

here lol, you could supply them wi cheaper lettuce's,but there again they would probably put a high percentage on them aswell,
or maybe i could just buy them direct from you lol:roll:

sam
09-May-06, 22:24
The wholesaler doesn't have anything like the buying power of a supermarket chain hence can't buy things as cheaply and then the wholesaler has to make a profit as well.

It's the supermarkets that are ripping people off, with their advantages they should be able to sell things even cheaper than they do, British supermarkets make four times the profit of supermarkets on the continent. The small shops are strugling to make a profit at all and are closing down at an alarming rate.

well theres no fear of the castletown shop struggling or closing down, when they charge a lot more that smaller shops in the town

connieb19
09-May-06, 22:29
here lol, you could supply them wi cheaper lettuce's,but there again they would probably put a high percentage on them aswell,
or maybe i could just buy them direct from you lol:roll:If I can sell them at £1.39 each, I'll give you a beep when I'm passing you in a couple of years time in my Roller..lol:lol:

pultneytooner
09-May-06, 22:35

What about booker cash and carry or the Landmark Cash & Carry. some of the largest Buying Groups in the UK.

fred
09-May-06, 23:05
What about booker cash and carry or the Landmark Cash & Carry. some of the largest Buying Groups in the UK.

Nothing like the buying power of the supermarkets.

Tesco alone control over a third of the uk groceries market and the big four around three quarters.

Then, like I said, the wholesaler has to make a profit as well.

Between 2000 and 2004 7,330 indipendent retailers went out of business in Britain, I just can't see them doing that if there was any way for them to make money.

Marty McFly
09-May-06, 23:10
Between 2000 and 2004 7,330 indipendent retailers went out of business in Britain, I just can't see them doing that if there was any way for them to make money.

Precisely! ...and at the same time, Tesco and company are expanding at an alarming rate. [disgust]

fred
09-May-06, 23:18
Precisely! ...and at the same time, Tesco and company are expanding at an alarming rate. [disgust]

And are being investigated by the Office of Fair Trading for the third time in seven years.

Loafer
10-May-06, 06:58
Seeing as we are on a fruit and veg point, is anyone aware that Tesco get FIRST CHOICE of all the fruit and veg that is imported into the country?

And did anyone see breakfast TV when they were saying the pressure that Tesco put on suppliers to provide, for example, cheap bread. They FORCE the supplier to sell it to them at 40p, whereas your wee corner shops, and even some bigger supermarkets have to purchase it at 60p??? I'm all for cheaper stuff as I have said before on other threads, but Tesco, Asda (Wal Mart) etc come across to me as nothing more than playschool bullies.

The Loafer

fred
10-May-06, 10:07
Seeing as we are on a fruit and veg point, is anyone aware that Tesco get FIRST CHOICE of all the fruit and veg that is imported into the country?

And did anyone see breakfast TV when they were saying the pressure that Tesco put on suppliers to provide, for example, cheap bread. They FORCE the supplier to sell it to them at 40p, whereas your wee corner shops, and even some bigger supermarkets have to purchase it at 60p??? I'm all for cheaper stuff as I have said before on other threads, but Tesco, Asda (Wal Mart) etc come across to me as nothing more than playschool bullies.

Once they have a farmer supplying the vast majority of their produce to them they can put the sqeeze on, sell cheaper or lose 90% of your trade, they can dictate the terms. The farmer then has no choice but to find ways of cutting costs, hire illegal immigrants for manual work, buy the cheapest feeds with reclaimed animal protein instead of organic leading to disease epidemics. To make a crop grow faster they must pump the land full of nitrogen killing rivers. They must spray with toxic weed killers and insecticides so the crop looks more presentable and because they can't afford to lose even a small portion of their crops to insects. Calves are given antibiotics even when they aren't ill, in America cattle are given steroids to make them grow bigger and faster.

Under the EEC subsidy system Europe accumulated mountains of unwanted food, stupid but it shows we have the capacity to produce more than we need without resorting to genetically altering the crops. We don't need to cut down rain forrests in South America to produce soya for our supermarket products. We don't need to ship our food half way round the world. The only reason we are killing the planet we live on is because the average consumer can't see further than the price tag.