PDA

View Full Version : Ethel Austin

Countryman
08-Feb-10, 14:02
Latest news from BBC Ethel Austin goes into administration

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8504086.stm

bky
08-Feb-10, 14:04
Clothing retailer Ethel Austin has gone into administration for the second time in two years. The 300-strong chain will continue trading as normal while a new buyer is sought, administrators MCR said.
But MCR said it could not rule out closures or redundancies as there were "no guarantees" that a buyer could be found in the current economic climate.
Administrators blamed the move on failure to secure necessary funding, compounded by poor trading in January.
"There is no doubt in our mind that the onset of the global economic crisis has hit the retail sector particularly hard," said Geoff Bouchier from MCR.
"As a consequence of this the companies have struggled to secure funders which in turn has impacted their ability to generate sales revenue."
Ethel Austin's sister firm, homeware retailer Au Naturale, has also gone into administration.
Ethel Austin, formed more than 70 years ago, is based in Knowsley, Merseyside.
It first went into administration in 2008, but was bought within a month by the former head of retailer MK One.

Countryman
08-Feb-10, 14:08
Glad to see you read my post

scrabster view
08-Feb-10, 16:03
Not surpised at all with the news.

Ethal Austin doesnt have great stuff. I couldnt even spend the £5 voucher that they gave you on the opening day because there wasnt anything there worth £5 (although I would have gotten it for free anyhow)!

Shame for the staff though.

Fluff
08-Feb-10, 16:16
Surprising. They have just opened up a new store in Reading, 2 levels with Au Natural. It required a fair bit of refurbishment.

Maybe that's where they spent all their money lol!

balto
08-Feb-10, 16:23
Not surpised at all with the news.

Ethal Austin doesnt have great stuff. I couldnt even spend the £5 voucher that they gave you on the opening day because there wasnt anything there worth £5 (although I would have gotten it for free anyhow)!

Shame for the staff though.
totally agree with you, i went to try and get tops for my 12 year old and they had nothing except black, nowt fashionable atall, now if your a baby girl you would be fine.

bettedaviseyes
08-Feb-10, 16:35
i dont think there is anything worth buying in that shop not for me but could be for other folk tho.

ShelleyCowie
08-Feb-10, 16:37
I thought it had some good stuff for the wee kiddies. I got a few bargains on pyjamas and vests for Athrun. Also got a thick outdoor coat for his christmas from my sister which is excellent. So if it shuts down i really will miss it for clothes for the little ones!

Turquoise
08-Feb-10, 16:39
Well I'd have to partly disagree, as I've had some good stuff out of the shop. It's like anywhere really - you have to be selective. I've had some lovely work tops and a few cardis, but on the other hand some of it isn't great. I've had worse stuff that I've paid 10 times as much for.

poppett
08-Feb-10, 17:25
Just love that shop. Was going to go in today for a browse, but got distracted and decided to go tomorrow..........As they say "never put off until tomorrow what you can do today".

Know a lot of the very helpful staff and hope they get other employment very soon.

cuddlepop
08-Feb-10, 17:42
Just love that shop. Was going to go in today for a browse, but got distracted and decided to go tomorrow..........As they say "never put off until tomorrow what you can do today".

Know a lot of the very helpful staff and hope they get other employment very soon.

Still trading Poppet so should be open tomorrow,although for how long is anyones guess.:confused

trix
08-Feb-10, 19:26
mmh...i da think its 'at great. iv only bought a couple o' things as i da think 'e quality is 'at great.
a cairdigan that only stood one wash before goin all bobbly, anither top that shrunk abit an faded.

quality means everythin, i wid pay extra for quality ;)

staff are always really nice.

Ash
08-Feb-10, 20:44
some stuff is ok
altho they have a poor attitude my mum bought a cardigan, the buttons fell off, she took it back asked for a refund, the manager say no as they cant refund it JUST because the buttons came off! she argued and got a refund eventually, im not suprised there in liquadation

kel24
08-Feb-10, 21:05
I bought a nice jumper in there for my OH last week, it's been through the wash once and has already shrunk! I find the clothes to be of poor quality and not very stylish. The staff are quite nice but everytime i've been in the place it has been practically empty, i'm not suprised it's gone into administration at all! Why can't we ever get a decent shop up here, one that will thrive!

Kevin Milkins
08-Feb-10, 22:22
Why can't we ever get a decent shop up here, one that will thrive!

We have, it's called Tesco.;)

It was very sad to see Woolworth go, and not just because it had become an iconic part of the high street in every town in Britain, but because it left a depressing looking glat in the high street, plus the loss of employment for many.
I was thrilled to bits to see a national chain move in as it fitted the location well and did a lot for the overall look of the street.
At our last orger curry night I ask the question as to whether it would survive because it did not look that busy most of the time, but although I have been in a couple of times for Christmas presents etc, I don't do shopping. Lets hope that they are succesful in finding a suitable buyer and keep the shop going.

ShelleyCowie
08-Feb-10, 22:31

But tesco are poop for wee boys clothes. They have very little to choose from. Go round the isle to the girls section and there is loads. Its really quite annoying :(

No wonder we have to turn to the Internet for so much nowadays, we have little to choose from.

ragdollyanna
08-Feb-10, 22:51
Well I'm gutted! The staff are lovely and I got 2 jumpers and a pair of slippers for a tenner last week! Mind, I don't expect they'll last long, as the quality of the stuff isn't great - but I get bored of clothes anyway!

What's the alternative.. another empty boarded up shopfront - how depressing. :(

Kevin Milkins
08-Feb-10, 22:53
But tesco are poop for wee boys clothes. They have very little to choose from. Go round the isle to the girls section and there is loads. Its really quite annoying :(

No wonder we have to turn to the Internet for so much nowadays, we have little to choose from.

I have to confess, Shelly, shopping for kids clothes would be a total mystery to me and its been a long while since my three lads were small.

When they were kids we had a neighbour with two boys of similar age to our three and Mrs M and the neighbour used to get together and make most of there clothes.

kel24
08-Feb-10, 23:08

It was very sad to see Woolworth go, and not just because it had become an iconic part of the high street in every town in Britain, but because it left a depressing looking glat in the high street, plus the loss of employment for many.
I was thrilled to bits to see a national chain move in as it fitted the location well and did a lot for the overall look of the street.
At our last orger curry night I ask the question as to whether it would survive because it did not look that busy most of the time, but although I have been in a couple of times for Christmas presents etc, I don't do shopping. Lets hope that they are succesful in finding a suitable buyer and keep the shop going.

Tesco's is great i won't deny it, but it's a supermarket and only wicks store sells clothes, i agree that it was awful seeing the empty shell that used to be woolworths, but something better could have gone it's place, maybe something young people would benefit from??

ShelleyCowie
08-Feb-10, 23:39
I have to confess, Shelly, shopping for kids clothes would be a total mystery to me and its been a long while since my three lads were small.

When they were kids we had a neighbour with two boys of similar age to our three and Mrs M and the neighbour used to get together and make most of there clothes.

Lol well shopping for Athrun is a nightmare. Luckily i got a voucher for the shop "wee ones" in Thurso and went and got him some lovely new jumpers. But i seriously struggle to get jeans or combats to fit the wee fella. Luckily he is still in 6-9 month clothes (he is 16 months old) so he does get the "wear and tear" out of the clothes he has.

northener
09-Feb-10, 00:00
Wick is too small a town to support most retail outlets.

Lets face it, Wick and Thurso are nothing more than glorified villages compared to places doon Sooth. We'll never get the range of outlets afforded to our Southern chums... add Tescos into the mix and that's everyone else screwed.

But, then again, many people were keen to get Tescos into Wick - you reap what you sow......

joxville
09-Feb-10, 03:39
mmh...i da think its 'at great. iv only bought a couple o' things as i da think 'e quality is 'at great.
a cairdigan that only stood one wash before goin all bobbly, anither top that shrunk abit an faded.

quality means everythin, i wid pay extra for quality ;)

Wash your clothes turned inside out, less chance of them bobbling. (Who would believe it, a man giving laundry tips!) :)

I doubt you could afford me. ;)

Metalattakk
09-Feb-10, 04:19
Wick is too small a town to support most retail outlets.

Lets face it, Wick and Thurso are nothing more than glorified villages compared to places doon Sooth. We'll never get the range of outlets afforded to our Southern chums... add Tescos into the mix and that's everyone else screwed.

But, then again, many people were keen to get Tescos into Wick - you reap what you sow......

Hammer - Nail - Head - *THUNK*

The world.wide.wundaweb has taken over folks/retailers. Move with it or die.

Vistravi
09-Feb-10, 12:46
totally agree with you, i went to try and get tops for my 12 year old and they had nothing except black, nowt fashionable atall, now if your a baby girl you would be fine.

I don't know about that Balto. For a baby girl its nothing but pink. Given that i am someone who dispises the colour pink in anything but socks its no use ;)

Vistravi
09-Feb-10, 12:47
I thought it had some good stuff for the wee kiddies. I got a few bargains on pyjamas and vests for Athrun. Also got a thick outdoor coat for his christmas from my sister which is excellent. So if it shuts down i really will miss it for clothes for the little ones!

I got some bargains on bibs, vests, fleecy blankets and bottles. Was delighted so for that i'd miss it but not for the clothes as its quite a limited selection.

itsteven
09-Feb-10, 16:25
i think its a shame all the staff in both wick and thurso might be goin to loose there jobs and prob most of them have kids its not so good and some people might think o well there stuff isnt that good but its still somthing in the town centre and not a empty shop i think it was a gd thing to come to wick .

balto
09-Feb-10, 17:11
i think its a shame all the staff in both wick and thurso might be goin to loose there jobs and prob most of them have kids its not so good and some people might think o well there stuff isnt that good but its still somthing in the town centre and not a empty shop i think it was a gd thing to come to wick .
its a shame if they do loose their jobs, i am an ex woolies so know how they feel, but what we need is a shop like woolies that sells a bit of everything.

katarina
09-Feb-10, 17:14
I miss woolies. you get almost anything. Lots of fiddly little things now I can't find.

ShelleyCowie
09-Feb-10, 18:38
I miss woolies. you get almost anything. Lots of fiddly little things now I can't find.

I agree, i miss it dearly too. When it closed down a wee piece of my soul got taken away! Me and my OH used to walk down to woolies nearly everyday cos there was always something to buy or look at.

Maybe since its back up online they can open up the shop again just for us! lol.

girnigoe
09-Feb-10, 19:18
I miss Woolies too but not as the shop it was in the few years before it shut but when Woolies was Woolies iykwim :confused:

webmannie
09-Feb-10, 20:10
At least some local retailers are embracing the 'world wide wunderweb' and are selling online, however not every consumer is online (yet). Must go look up the stats for Caithness.

A new 'class' system is developing. The 'on t'internet' and the 'not's'.

Mind you I still canna buy wallpaper over the internet, just disna work!!

bagpuss
09-Feb-10, 21:57
Primark- the answer to Tesco's world domination. In a word. In these hard times Primami is worth its weight in gold.

But then again- there's always M&S online- if you can't get th daily city fix

CLARABEL
11-Feb-10, 23:08
I think it is a terrible shame that the shop is closing. Contrary to what some folk have said on here, I found the shop full of very fashionable items and at reasonable prices and as for not catering to the younger generation, that is absolute rubbish as I am in my 20s and me and my friends have had a lot of great stuff from the shop. I feel sorry for the staff losing their jobs and will be very sad to see yet another fab shop closing. I think it is sad also when folk have nothing better to do but moan, they moan when the premises is empty, they moan when the shop is re-opened and now that the shop is closing they have nothing better to do but slag it off. Are the folk of Caithness ever happy??

Also Tesco has very fashionable clothes for boys, granted my wee boy is two now so possibly a better range for his age group but I never have any complaints and my boy always looks good :)

Aaldtimer
12-Feb-10, 03:54
A two year old child being used as a fashion statement...wonderful![disgust]

overthewallandfaraway
12-Feb-10, 14:49
I have heard from a few people today that Wetherspoons are looking for a suitable property in Thurso, think woolies would be ideal as a pub and liven up that end of town.
Also, hopefully they would have a TV in there removing Wick's unique claim to be the only Wetherspoons in the world that shows live footie:Razz

balto
12-Feb-10, 16:09
I have heard from a few people today that Wetherspoons are looking for a suitable property in Thurso, think woolies would be ideal as a pub and liven up that end of town.
Also, hopefully they would have a TV in there removing Wick's unique claim to be the only Wetherspoons in the world that shows live footie:Razz
think we heard this when woolies shut.

overthewallandfaraway
12-Feb-10, 16:25
Its good to hear that rumour control has not gone into receivership then!

mums angels
12-Feb-10, 20:56

LOL you can tell you have a boy shelly as the girls selections is just as poor as the boys if not in my opinion worse , its the same stock all of the time and when there new stuff comes in i am lucky to get a couple of items i like . I have both girls and boys and find getting clothes up here "ok" for the little ones but for the older ones its so difficult ,for boys especially unless you want to spend £25 for a pair of jeans for an 8 year old out of butteress . Ethel Austin was only good for pyjamas for the kids i won't be sorry to see it go but i hope the staff all fine employment soon .

ShelleyCowie
12-Feb-10, 21:44
LOL you can tell you have a boy shelly as the girls selections is just as poor as the boys if not in my opinion worse , its the same stock all of the time and when there new stuff comes in i am lucky to get a couple of items i like . I have both girls and boys and find getting clothes up here "ok" for the little ones but for the older ones its so difficult ,for boys especially unless you want to spend £25 for a pair of jeans for an 8 year old out of butteress . Ethel Austin was only good for pyjamas for the kids i won't be sorry to see it go but i hope the staff all fine employment soon .

Lol well i aint really bought for girls, buy some things for my niece though. She is just wee. :Razz

Went into Ethel Austin with the in-laws today. Some good wee bargains for their closing down sale! Kinda disappointed their cushions werent on sale. Have had my eye on them for a while cos they match my sofas! :lol:

Hope the staff find new jobs soon tho!

Korky
12-Feb-10, 23:38
At least it was a bit of life injected into the town for a wee while, the staff must be gutted and were still really nice and helpful today given the news.

Great for kids stuff, but no fitting rooms! bought stuff for myself today- does anyone know if i can get a refund tomorrow or is it just exchange only?

trix
13-Feb-10, 13:30
does anyone know if i can get a refund tomorrow or is it just exchange only?

i got a refund before, went strait back on til ma caird.