PDA

View Full Version : Bus fares

tartanyorkie
08-Feb-10, 12:10
My son is applying for Thurso college full time this year. Does anyone know if you can get a weekly bus pass or monthly bus pass for journeys into and out of Thurso each day? Looking at the SAAS website it seems students cannot apply for help with travel expenses until after the first term. Return journeys Thurso to Reay are going to take a large chunk out of his student loan.

alistair harper
08-Feb-10, 12:34
My son is applying for Thurso college full time this year. Does anyone know if you can get a weekly bus pass or monthly bus pass for journeys into and out of Thurso each day? Looking at the SAAS website it seems students cannot apply for help with travel expenses until after the first term. Return journeys Thurso to Reay are going to take a large chunk out of his student loan.

Hi there yes he can all he has to do is ask the driver for a caithness mega ticket cost £20 FOR WEEK OR HE CAN APPLY ONLINE AT stagecoach for a monthly mega pass.

tartanyorkie
08-Feb-10, 12:58
Thank you. I have just looked at that. I see it is £76 for four weeks so will at least save something.

kel24
08-Feb-10, 15:05
Hey, i know depending on income etc. that students get help with travel costs, i had a few people in my course last year that lived out of town, one in tongue and the other in reay, they both got picked up by a taxi every morning and dropped off each evening. As far as i know the college paid for the whole thing, but like i said i'm not sure if every student is entitled, might depend on parents income etc. Jean Porter used to deal with all that side of things, but i think she has left now, u could maybe try Anna Swanson!

I hope this has helped :)

Invisible
08-Feb-10, 15:18
When I was in college 3 years ago I got a bus pass which I got along with a bursary. I don't know if its still the case but worth asking about.

tartanyorkie
08-Feb-10, 15:20
Thanks. I know the girl next door gets a taxi from the college,forgot about that, I will ask when I see her. I am looking round the internet but I will remind him to ask at college when he goes for an interview.

Buttercup
08-Feb-10, 19:25
If you son has a Young Scot card it intitles him to a discount on bus fayres and that could end up cheaper than a bus pass. Drawback is that you can only use it on single tickets (not returns) and not all bus drivers will accept it (but you could contact the bus office if they won't).

gollach
08-Feb-10, 19:50

There is a certain level of transport costs built in to the student loan. That is why you can't apply for travel costs until part-way through the year.

William
08-Feb-10, 23:32
If you son has a Young Scot card it intitles him to a discount on bus fayres and that could end up cheaper than a bus pass. Drawback is that you can only use it on single tickets (not returns) and not all bus drivers will accept it (but you could contact the bus office if they won't).

That would get you 1/3 off an adult single fare