PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Bird to watch?

ducati
07-Feb-10, 23:23
Mine is the Black Guillemot. Watched them for hours in Wick Harbour swimming around underwater-fascinating. :Razz

Kenn
08-Feb-10, 00:05
Got to be Puffins but run a close second by Gannets fishing.

kas
08-Feb-10, 00:16
Could not possibly choose. I change my mind every five minutes.

dafi
08-Feb-10, 01:55
Of all the terns...Little tern

ducati
08-Feb-10, 09:53

Yes me too now I think about it. :D

dafi
08-Feb-10, 11:16
How about your favorite raptor of all raptors then ducati?

NickInTheNorth
08-Feb-10, 15:36

I'm with you on that one!

My only totally honest answer is the one I'm watching!

On Sunday driving back to Thurso from Wick my favourites were a flock of starlings which had clearly just been frightened off the ground by a raptor flying overhead, the raptor (I think it was a buzzard, but as I was driving I didn't really look that closely) was then being mobbed by several members of the crow family (again I didn't look that closely).

What I did watch in amazement was the starlings as they did that amazing formation flying thing, split into 2 separate flocks while still looking totally magical, and then settled back to feed, total time in the air I would say about a minute, but what a minute! (I would guess something in the region of 10000+ birds).

Continuing to drive along and about 4 minutes later I said to my daughter, I'm just going to turn round, quick U-turn in the end of road to Lyth, back about 500 yards and park on the verge - something in the region of 50 whooper swans in a field, watched them for about 5 minutes, back in the car, then see a skein of geese, they are flying fairly randomly this way and that, probably about a 100 birds in all, watch them flying for a minute of so, then drive off. Turning round in the next convenient spot and low and behold, those geese are starting to circle and get lower, so stop the car - out again, walk just into the rather muddy field so we can just see over the slight rise in the field, and there they are all landing, honking away, about 5 minutes and a hundred greylags later, back in the car and head for home...

All of those were my total favourites, don't know what it will be next :D

ducati
09-Feb-10, 12:26
How about your favorite raptor of all raptors then ducati?

Thats easy-Golden Eagle no, White Tailed Sea Eagle no, Osprey no..Arrgh[lol]