PDA

View Full Version : I miss having a cinmea

H
07-Feb-10, 20:38
Went to Inverness this weekend and went to Vue to watch It's Complicated with Meryl Streep - great film but I'd have preferred watching it at the All Star Factory.

Any word of this being taken over - I'm having withdrawl symptoms from not being able to go to the cinema..

Boozeburglar
07-Feb-10, 20:47
I miss it as well, keep bumping into people I thought I had escaped from when I go in Inverness. Not that that is often.

ShelleyCowie
07-Feb-10, 20:51
I miss it too. I cant get to Inverness to watch movies in the cinema there. I miss having the cinema here, was far easier to drop athrun off at my mums on the way there and pick him up on the way back. :(

If i had the money i would take it over. But will take me the rest of my life to save for that!

bobbyrussell09
07-Feb-10, 20:57
As much is the place was a dump ,i do miss not going to see films ,if they got the ones i liked up.would have loved to have saw avatar on the big screen

Boozeburglar
07-Feb-10, 21:35
I am sure someone like Cardozi will snap it up when the price gets low enough. You can look forward to it being focussed on alcohol sales.

Boozeburglar
07-Feb-10, 21:42
Shame it is not an old cinema, then Spoons might have been interested.

With the all the nouveau riche in their detatched rabbit hutches across from the Dunbar popping in for the two for one meals, and the hearty folks of High Ormlie providing the character, could it fail?

Cattach
07-Feb-10, 21:51
As much is the place was a dump ,i do miss not going to see films ,if they got the ones i liked up.would have loved to have saw avatar on the big screen

I miss it to but hardly a dump. If you were brought up in 'black and white' and not long after the talkings you would know what a dump was.

ShelleyCowie
07-Feb-10, 21:56
I am sure someone like Cardozi will snap it up when the price gets low enough. You can look forward to it being focussed on alcohol sales.

To be honest i hope that the person who does take it over removes the bar completely. Leaves a cafe and makes a soft play area. Its meant to be a family place. I dont want my kids coming out of the cinema and a bunch of drunk people there. [disgust]

bobbyrussell09
07-Feb-10, 22:04
To be honest i hope that the person who does take it over removes the bar completely. Leaves a cafe and makes a soft play area. Its meant to be a family place. I dont want my kids coming out of the cinema and a bunch of drunk people there. [disgust]dare say that be me lol

bobbyrussell09
07-Feb-10, 22:07
I miss it to but hardly a dump. If you were brought up in 'black and white' and not long after the talkings you would know what a dump was.
oh it was a dump,the loby was lovely ,looked good in the stone ,but when u went into the screens the place wasnt tidy ,seats were ripped ,ppl didnt treat the property well

Boozeburglar
07-Feb-10, 22:07
To be honest i hope that the person who does take it over removes the bar completely. Leaves a cafe and makes a soft play area. Its meant to be a family place. I dont want my kids coming out of the cinema and a bunch of drunk people there. [disgust]

I wouldn't worry, kids will be perfectly welcome in the bar.

ShelleyCowie
07-Feb-10, 22:10
dare say that be me lol

Wouldnt worry...the kids know who u are anyways! [lol]

I wouldn't worry, kids will be perfectly welcome in the bar.

Lol. Im sure they would be. Just want somewhere that is purely for family. Not to get drunk. There aint many places like that now. :(

Vistravi
08-Feb-10, 00:50
My partner downloads our films and ocassiaonally i'll add something on his list i want to see. We live in ness near a cinema but we can't afford it and would much rather watch a film at home in our own time.

To be honest i don't see anyone buying the place as much as it would be nice to make the use of it.

Flashman
08-Feb-10, 13:53
Nightlife aside what has Thurso actually got going for it now?

Outwith the times of 5pm on Friday until 4am on Sunday morning the place is a complete dump :D

bish667
08-Feb-10, 14:01
I dont miss it, apart from it being somewhere for a quiet drink :lol:

weefee
08-Feb-10, 20:25
I was in Golspie today and noticed they have a film society, if there were enough people interested and a suitable venue (caithness horizons may be an option) then this is maybe something that could be started in the interim.....i for one would be up for it....some films are just mean to be seen on a large screen.

This link looks really useful, i'm just doing some research into it

http://www.bffs.org.uk/

We may not get the lateset blockbusters straight away, but i think if enough people are interested it may prompt someone to invest in the cinema!!

Boozeburglar
08-Feb-10, 20:29
Nightlife aside what has Thurso actually got going for it now?

Outwith the times of 5pm on Friday until 4am on Sunday morning the place is a complete dump :D

Aside from the nightlife?

Thurso has thatgoing for it?

;)

lister
08-Feb-10, 20:34
Downloads and Dvd's with their old video's and ta boot..there's nothing like a good film in the Cinema to set the scene ,and hold you're memories..Days of a bygone age maybe...but memorable far beyond the above i think..from and older poster ..

Invisible
08-Feb-10, 20:52
was the venue ever used to host a band?

just checking the website is still up and running, maybe this is just a temporary closure.

2boyz1girl
08-Feb-10, 21:01
A long time ago! That's when the place was jumping every weekend night. I worked in the bar and the atmosphere was fantastic, distant memory now!! Wish the big shots in the County would get their heads together and make something of the place. Such a bloomin waste. Lots of room and potential for all sorts of ventures. Defo need to keep the Cinema though, sadly missed.

H
09-Feb-10, 14:47
Does anyone think a Community buy out would work.

or

Do you think the Ormlie Community Association would run and operate as a separate strand to their business?

weefee
09-Feb-10, 16:19
Stornoway has a very successfull community cinema, not sure if they lease or own the the building.......i left a link earlier...looks not to complicated to run, lots of assistance.....we may not get the big blockbusters at the time of release (seldom did anyway!) due to licensing costs, but i know there would be certain films that if ran i would defo go see on the big screen......

i guess if you use it you won't loose it!!

katarina
09-Feb-10, 17:15
I enjoyed going to the cinema now and again. and it was somewhere to take the kids.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
09-Feb-10, 18:13
It was a treat now and again to go to the All Star Factory.The seats themselves showed that a lot of bahookies had sat on them.I think the problem lies with the films coming out just now are far and few between.Ye need a film that will stay on for weeks and weeks.Avatar wid have been a success.

If ye were to put on a couple of latest films,but use one screen to show a classic.I'd go again.Well classics except for"Good Morning Miss Dove",they'd need to install lifeboats.:)

bagpuss
09-Feb-10, 21:21
What happened to the Moving Picture Show? Didn't it used to visit Caithness?

The All Star factory was sadly underused- and given Thurso Town hall has changed its identity to Caithness Horizons isn't it time the community took it on board as a venue for live theatre/music/dance as well as a cinema? How much would it cost to run it compared to Eden Court?

The Pepsi Challenge
01-Mar-10, 21:20
http://www.hi-arts.co.uk/HI-Arts/Features/march2010-feature-darren-manson.htm

Bazeye
02-Mar-10, 01:51

Stoners OK? :lol:

ShelleyCowie
02-Mar-10, 10:08
http://www.hi-arts.co.uk/HI-Arts/Features/march2010-feature-darren-manson.htm

I read that article last night, couldnt be bothered posting last night though, so anyway...i hope that when the cinema gets back up on its feet that the community support it.

It needs the right management and get it looking fresh i think it will do really well.

I would say prices need to be revised, i couldnt really afford for my whole family to go to the cinema on a regular basis before as much as i loved taking them to watch a movie on the big screen. :confused

Used to cost us £20+ to get everyone in, plus popcorn and a slushy each. Definetely not cheap!

Stoners OK? :lol:

Um im going to say no Mr B! But dont worry monkeys are allowed so you should be fine! ;)

Bazeye
02-Mar-10, 14:24
Monkeys? Got me with that one?