PDA

View Full Version : Resisting Tempation.

cuddlepop
07-Feb-10, 16:16
My wee grandaughter is gorgeous and all I want to do is keep her close but thats just "silly".

So I'm at home wishing I was there.Its only a ten minute walk which isnt far but need to give them space especially just now as they only came home yesterday.:eek:

Chocloate I can resist but this is torture.

How do other grannys manage.:lol:

Vistravi
07-Feb-10, 16:25
Your daughter in law will properly thank you for staying away for now. I know that i would not like my partner's or my parents always being there after giving birth. I would want some alone time with my wee one and my partner. My folks i know will make sure i have enough time on my own with my partner and my new baby particularly my mum as she hated her mother in laws interference.

There is always the phone though and you could always ask over the phone if she minded a short visit. You may be able to do some jobs for her which i'm sure she'd appreciate.

Being a granny is the best as my mum has told me as you have them for a wee while and hand them back. ;)

cuddlepop
07-Feb-10, 16:28
Your daughter in law will properly thank you for staying away for now. I know that i would not like my partner's or my parents always being there after giving birth. I would want some alone time with my wee one and my partner. My folks i know will make sure i have enough time on my own with my partner and my new baby particularly my mum as she hated her mother in laws interference.

There is always the phone though and you could always ask over the phone if she minded a short visit. You may be able to do some jobs for her which i'm sure she'd appreciate.

Being a granny is the best as my mum has told me as you have them for a wee while and hand them back. ;)

The way my son was with her lastnight I'd need to have her first to give her back.
Besotted is an understatment.:lol:

Vistravi
07-Feb-10, 16:42
The way my son was with her lastnight I'd need to have her first to give her back.
Besotted is an understatment.:lol:

He's obviously a very delighted daddy!

I can see my partner's mum feeling the same as you cuddlepop. When i got our buggy on thursday we left it at my partner's parents house to air out before i tackle the cleaning job. I've gotten really excited now we have the buggy and all the stress i've been feeling has lifted of my shoulders so i was pushing it about unwilling to let go. His mum was the same untill his dad told her to put it back and leave it.

cuddlepop
07-Feb-10, 16:44
I can see my partner's mum feeling the same as you cuddlepop. When i got our buggy on thursday we left it at my partner's parents house to air out before i tackle the cleaning job. I've gotten really excited now we have the buggy and all the stress i've been feeling has lifted of my shoulders so i was pushing it about unwilling to let go. His mum was the same untill his dad told her to put it back and leave it.

I meant my son was besotted with his new daughter even poor mum has to ask for a hold of her.
I was given the third degree about holding her and I've had three kids.
:lol:

Vistravi
07-Feb-10, 16:46
I meant my son was besotted with his new daughter even poor mum has to ask for a hold of her.
I was given the third degree about holding her and I've had three kids.
:lol:

A simple reminder of who gave birth to her may help ;)

cuddlepop
07-Feb-10, 16:51
A simple reminder of who gave birth to her may help ;)

I think when mums not so tired she'll give him what for if he "hoggs" her for too long.:lol:

Mrs Bucket
07-Feb-10, 17:41
Congratulations Cuddlepop on becoming a granny. I have this picture of you from your posts as being twenty something. Being a Granny is the bestest thing in the world. Just let them know you are there for them if and when they need you and they will need you. It can be handwork in lots of ways but the rewards are endless.

Angela
07-Feb-10, 17:44
My wee grandaughter is gorgeous and all I want to do is keep her close but thats just "silly".

How do other grannys manage.:lol:

It's not "silly" at all cuddlepop, I think it's completely understandable. I found it so exciting being a 'new' granny!

You're right -you do need to give them space to get used to being a family. It's lovely that your son's so smitten with his wee girl, but once the initial excitement's worn off a bit, they'll feel tired and they'll need you and welcome your help. :)

So long as you resist the temptation to "take over" or criticise how they do things (which may NOT be your way!;)), you'll have plenty of time with your granddaughter over the weeks, months and years ahead.

I'd just advise to you to phone and ask if it's a good time to visit, rather than "just dropping in" all the time! At least to begin with.

unicorn
07-Feb-10, 17:45
You will soon get loads of chances for hugs and cuddles as well as many floor pacing times I am sure. At the moment mum and dad will be infatuated especially as it is their first baby but your time and invaluable experience will soon come in as their saviour I am sure.
Congratulations x

ShelleyCowie
07-Feb-10, 17:48
My mum and my sister always threaten they are going to steal Athrun. He is such an addictive cheeky chap!

Grannys get extra special cuddles tho. But as you said, new mum needs rest. I had quite alot of visitors after having athrun and i found it hard. I was unable to move from my seat cos of having a section.

Long time ahead for cuddles tho! :Razz

Angela
07-Feb-10, 17:54
Grannys get extra special cuddles tho.

They certainly do, Shelley! :lol: I got loads from my wee granddaughter yesterday. :D

That's when I wasn't having to play at being Spot the Dog........having my 'lead' put on and crawling about on all fours ... before being given my bowl of 'dog food'! :eek:

taffy
08-Feb-10, 14:05
I love being a granny and I have the most wonderfull grandson. I love him so much and I have him with me as much as I can. Sad thing is he is going away to live in spain this year and my heart is breaking at the thought of it.:~(

Dadie
08-Feb-10, 14:35
To keep yourself busy offer to make some freezer meals for them!
That will be very much appreciated!
Or offer to do the washing/ ironing/ hoovering etc so some sleep can be had:lol:

cuddlepop
08-Feb-10, 15:02
To keep yourself busy offer to make some freezer meals for them!
That will be very much appreciated!
Or offer to do the washing/ ironing/ hoovering etc so some sleep can be had:lol:

The wee one was round this morning and all she done was sleep.
Just now she's managed to turn day into night.

My two were up all night because she'd only sleep for 20minutes top.

Maybe I should offer to do night duty.:lol:

Dadie
09-Feb-10, 14:26
Euan doesnt sleep at night, he is awake between 2 and 6 everynight for 4 hours!
The girls start to get up between 6 and 7!
I wish someone would have freezer meals ready for me for the times hubby comes home and asks whats for dinner.... and I havent got a clue...
Im not sitting down doing nothing either!
I am feeding Euan while on here, somedays thats all he wants to do!
Oh Im also supervising a jigsaw being made!
Your DIL will be tired but may not ask for help with the boring household stuff but that is where the most help is needed in the first few weeks...shopping, food, laundry, typing up thank you letters etc!

cuddlepop
09-Feb-10, 14:45
Euan doesnt sleep at night, he is awake between 2 and 6 everynight for 4 hours!
The girls start to get up between 6 and 7!
I wish someone would have freezer meals ready for me for the times hubby comes home and asks whats for dinner.... and I havent got a clue...
Im not sitting down doing nothing either!
I am feeding Euan while on here, somedays thats all he wants to do!
Oh Im also supervising a jigsaw being made!
Your DIL will be tired but may not ask for help with the boring household stuff but that is where the most help is needed in the first few weeks...shopping, food, laundry, typing up thank you letters etc!

I have gone shopping,made them stew for tonight,done the dishes and put the washing on and out.

Didnt get a single cuddle but its worth it.:D

Wish someone had done this for me, so infuture I'll remember to do what I wish my mil could have done.:D

BINBOB
09-Feb-10, 15:56
Congratulations ,cuddlepop.:D