PDA

View Full Version : Emotions

Kevin Milkins
06-Feb-10, 22:50
Emotion.

Not the usual “what are we having for dinner” thread, but I will give it a go anyway.

I have often wondered what makes us sad, glad, happy or miserable, yet I have never been too analytical about it either.
A couple of years ago we had to make a very tough call to put our much loved Boxer dog, Aled , to sleep because he had a suspected brain tumour, and it is something you cannot prepare yourself for.

We took the professional advice given to us, and although it was without a doubt the correct thing to do at the time, I had no idea that the emotional strain that this course of action would have on us and although I kept myself together, (grown men don’t cry), my heart felt as heavy as an anvil.

More recently, (as many that visit the pet section will know) we thought that we might have to face the same dilemma with our old girl ,Megan, but fortunately, with medication and good veterinary care she is doing fine and is enjoying an extended life.

My eldest son had a red Labrador that would be the same age as Megan, (ten and half years old) and was suffering with arthritis badly and in recent times has struggled with his health and got to the stage where he could not get himself off the floor.

When we had to make our decision to let Aled go , our son could not believe how sad and miserable we were and told us to ,”pull yourself together, it’s only a dog” and we would get over it.

Yesterday my son phoned and asked for my advice on his dog (Jez) as he could see no way forward for him and the quality of his life has gone and is just getting by on a mixture of medication and pain killers, and my advice could only be, “you must do whatever you feel is right for you and Jez”, and he took him to the vets and had him put to sleep.

I was awoke at three thirty this morning with a phone call by my son (still in tears) to apologise for how callous he must of sounded when we had to make the same decision with Aled a couple of years ago and he now realised how difficult things must have been for us. He told us he cuddled his dog on the floor of the vets in uncountable tears for over ten minutes while his eight year old daughter rubbed his back and comforted him with,”never mind dad, Jez is gone to heaven now”, and all this from a seventeen stone roughly toughie rugby player that spent fourteen years as a Royal Marine.

I am sure you must be wondering what this post is about, and it’s simple, what is the purpose of emotions?

ShelleyCowie
06-Feb-10, 22:54
Reading that story of yours just made me cry! :eek: Thats really sad.

gleeber
06-Feb-10, 23:16
I am sure you must be wondering what this post is about, and it’s simple, what is the purpose of emotions?

Don't worry Kevin emotions are instinctive so it makes me believe thay are as natural as arms and serve a purpose. Otherwise, nature would not be perfect and because I believe nature is perfect, my world would crumble if I thought it wasnt . Thats emotion and it's purpose is to dement me. :lol:

highlander
06-Feb-10, 23:22
That is a very good question kevin, emotions is what makes us feel we are human, thats not to say that the animal kingdom dont have any. Reading what you typed made me very sad as it brings back my own emotions when our wonderful dog bruno was put to sleep, i personally feel that all children should be allowed to have a pet, it lets them understand about life and death of a loved one. Many times when i felt sad i would get on my knees and sit and talk to bruno and tell him all my woes, lol poor dowg, then there would be many times we would be dancing in the kitchen and just acting a total nutter to let off steam, yes emotions can come in many forms and i am so glad i can feel them.

gleeber
06-Feb-10, 23:26
This post reminds me of a science fiction movie with Arnold whatever in it when if you needed a dog you just nipped down to the cloning shop and get the same one recycled. I wonder what would happen to our emotions then? :confused

goldenguernsey
06-Feb-10, 23:28
that was so sad to read kevin and anyone who's lost a much loved pet knows exactly how it feels.

Kevin Milkins
06-Feb-10, 23:29
Reading that story of yours just made me cry! :eek: Thats really sad.

Sorry ShellyBain, it was not my intention to make anyone sad.

Don't worry Kevin emotions are instinctive so it makes me believe thay are as natural as arms and serve a purpose. Otherwise, nature would not be perfect and because I believe nature is perfect, my world would crumble if I thought it wasnt . Thats emotion and it's purpose is to dement me. :lol:

I understand that emotions are instinctive, and I am sure they have a purpose, (I just can't see what purpose they have).
I can see that fear would put someone on a high state of alert for a reason, and pain would have it's place in our being to stop us from coming to physical harm, but what good reason could mother nature have for making a grown man cry, because he lost a pet?

Vistravi
06-Feb-10, 23:31
Interesting question you have asked Kevin. I suppose emotions are there to remind us we feel and makes us more human. As mammals we all feel. Humans can put a name to it hence emotions.

ShelleyCowie
06-Feb-10, 23:34

I know Kevin, its ok. Im just a very emotional person right now lol.

But in the past when i have lost a pet, or had to have one put down it broke my heart. Even selling on my horse tore me to shreds.

I find it extremelly easy to block emotions about some people. Its something i have done since i was really young, i block emotions until eventually i burst and whoever is closest to me gets the brunt of it. I try to take it out on my sister because she knows whats wrong and why im doing it. Its been a while now tho...lol

Why is it that some men find it hard to show any emotion at all? Im not saying all men by the way!!! I had never seen my OH shed a tear until our son was born. And i aint seen any tears since then.

miranda
06-Feb-10, 23:37
oh how sad !!!

I have just finished watching a film called..Hachiko.a dogs story and cried a boxful of tissues.
came on the org for a bit of light relief and now need another box of tissues.

have too have had to make the decision to have my dog of 12 years put down ..not easy but was best for the dog.

Vistravi
06-Feb-10, 23:44

I understand that emotions are instinctive, and I am sure they have a purpose, (I just can't see what purpose they have).
I can see that fear would put someone on a high state of alert for a reason, and pain would have it's place in our being to stop us from coming to physical harm, but what good reason could mother nature have for making a grown man cry, because he lost a pet?

Now pregnancy emotions are something i really don't see the point of. I have never cried as much as i have through this pregnancy. :eek:

Emotions are instinctive and the attachments we make to people and animals creates a strong bond that makes us feel empty without.

It has been proven that without an emotional attachment to someone babies do not learn and thrive. There was an experiment done to prove this. so many babies were given love and attention as well as washed, changed and feed while the other set were only washed, changed and feed. The babies that were shown love and allowed to attach to someone strongly thrived and learned as a child does normally but the babies that were shown no love and were never spoken to did not thrive or learn and some of them died. We see the same thing in animals. By giving love and attention you can tame a cat but when no love is given the cat will be feral.

changilass
06-Feb-10, 23:49
I think emotions are simply our release valve - not controllable for any lenght of time without an explosion.

sweetpea
06-Feb-10, 23:50
Kevin, to some people they might think I'm off my head because me pet is a rabbit, but when I imagine the day my gorgeous little Gordon passes away it makes me cry. I have to banish the thought an anyway he has years left!:(
My mum was the same as you with her dog Bobby, he was 18 human years so he really was a member of the family. He died in her arms at the vets eventually, at the last minute when she knew she had to take him.

Vistravi
07-Feb-10, 00:11
Kevin, to some people they might think I'm off my head because me pet is a rabbit, but when I imagine the day my gorgeous little Gordon passes away it makes me cry. I have to banish the thought an anyway he has years left!:(
My mum was the same as you with her dog Bobby, he was 18 human years so he really was a member of the family. He died in her arms at the vets eventually, at the last minute when she knew she had to take him.

I feel the same about my cat. As she was born a farmcat when i got her she wasn't sure about human contact. With love and patience she has turned into a very affectionate cat but only to people she knows. She'd never go to anyone she does not know but in the comfort of our home she will investigate our guests. She is only coming 4 so still have a long life ahead of her yet but I don't think i could have another cat if and when i lose her. It was almost like we were destined to be with each other as we are so well suited character wise. I firmly believe she choose me. To lose her would break my heart.

Liz
07-Feb-10, 00:21
Very interesting question Kevin and not an easy one to answer.

I think it is good to show your emotions whatever they are but your upbringing has a lot to do with it as some families don't show emotions and don't encourage this so they can be supressed which isn't good, and as you said, there is the stupid saying that 'big boy's don't cry'!

I have to say that tears don't come easily to me but the most I have shed have been when I have had to say goodbye to a much loved pet who has enriched my life and given such unconditional love that life is emptier without them.
Only other animal lovers can understand this raw pain.

Of course they also provide another wonderful emotion which is laughter! Not a day goes by that my pets don't make me smile or laugh out loud.
Your lovely dog Megan has made many of us chuckle with her trick of how many balls can she get in her mouth!!:lol:

My heartfelt sympathy to your son on the loss of his beloved dog.

NickInTheNorth
07-Feb-10, 01:06
Emotion.

seemplz - emotions are there to keep us sane

I'm an 18 stone ex roughy toughy squadie, but have always been able to cry with the best of 'em.

I am not ashamed of a single tear I have ever shed!

NickInTheNorth
07-Feb-10, 01:09
Just to expand a little, anyone seen a pressure cooker full of cabbage when the pressure has been set too high and the pressure cooker relives the pressure :D

If not let me tell you tears are a good thing

roadbowler
07-Feb-10, 02:12
to awaken you.

Aaldtimer
07-Feb-10, 04:01
Simple answer...to stop your heart from bursting!
Been there a few times, with different pets...it's never easy, but the animal's welfare has always come first.:confused

Bobbin
07-Feb-10, 10:21
Now pregnancy emotions are something i really don't see the point of. I have never cried as much as i have through this pregnancy. :eek:

Emotions are instinctive and the attachments we make to people and animals creates a strong bond that makes us feel empty without.

It has been proven that without an emotional attachment to someone babies do not learn and thrive. There was an experiment done to prove this. so many babies were given love and attention as well as washed, changed and feed while the other set were only washed, changed and feed. The babies that were shown love and allowed to attach to someone strongly thrived and learned as a child does normally but the babies that were shown no love and were never spoken to did not thrive or learn and some of them died. We see the same thing in animals. By giving love and attention you can tame a cat but when no love is given the cat will be feral.Have you a link to information on this experiment? It just seems very unlikely that children would be left to die just as some sort of experiment.

donnick
07-Feb-10, 10:44
:(oh u brought a tear to my eye ,as i to have lost a great companion about 5 years ago my black gorgeous lab who was a devoted friend and would have given his life i am sure to protect me who stuck by my side like a shadow came with me everywhere. my hubby had to make the horrendous decision to have him put to sleep and this did not only effect us but my family who lived next door .This tore a peace of my heart out which will never be replaced by any dog he has it with him ........yes emotions are a release

Angela
07-Feb-10, 13:15
I think anyone who's lost a much loved companion would realise it's not 'just a dog' (or cat or horse......) but a true friend. Until you've experienced such a loss it's all too easy to be judgmental and think folk are making a fuss about very little. :(

I just dread the thought of losing my beloved rescue cat and she's not even 2 yet! :roll:

If we didn't have emotions and felt nothing we'd just be machines, not human beings, and the fact someone is a big, macho man shouldn't mean he can't feel sadness and loss and cry with the best of us. No shame in that.

My sympathies to your son, Kevin. He's done the kindest, most loving thing he could do for Jez.

Vistravi
07-Feb-10, 16:16
Have you a link to information on this experiment? It just seems very unlikely that children would be left to die just as some sort of experiment.

Believe it, it happened. It was one of the controlled experiements done on orphaned children in an attempt to learn how children develop and learn. It was a experiment done to find out the importance of emotional attachment in babies.

I came across this paricualar experiment in a childcare book when learning about the theroies of child development. I'll try to find out for you a link.

cuddlepop
07-Feb-10, 16:25
I've just felt the tears start to rise in my eyes and that was just listening to the Scottish National anthem being song at the rugby just now.

My son was crying his eyes out when his wee daughter was born on Thursday.
Even now he admits he doesnt like anyone cuddling her,poor mum just doesnt have a look in just now.

Emotion is a strange one to put into words,its all just a natural "valve" that without we'd explode.:)

A good greet even in happiness makes us feel better.

My dogs are so special to me that it hurts just as much as when the kids are ill.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
09-Feb-10, 21:47
Emotions were first started in 2079 BC.When a wee mannie went to his biscuit barrell and noticed that all the KitKats had been nicked and aw that was left was bourbon creams.He told his neighbour,who told his freend and so on.

I wid put a link but they didnae have computers in that day.It has been a story told through the ages.One of his pals,also told the story that a guy was oot walking his dog and passed a massive crowd,so he ventured over to see what the curfuffle was aw aboot.Supposedly it was a guy called Frank getting crucified.This pal saw the nails going into the hands and said,"Jesus Christ,wid ye look at that."The crowd then started to blether that the guys name wisnae Frank after all,but a guy called Jesus.

Emotions are for the individual,everyone different.:)