PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know?

Vistravi
06-Feb-10, 22:26
Does anyone know if it is possible to get your handmade cards published? My partner mentioned it to me today and it got me thinking about maybe getting mine punblished as such. Don't even know if its possible but does anyone know how you could do it?

Here is an example of one of mine. My family and friends and anyone who has recieved a handmade card from me over the last year have all told me that they are really good even the ones i was doubtful about after finishing. I'm not being arrogant and it is my family and friends who have all told me to go for it and give it a go.

http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac291/MJA1988/DSC00017.jpg?t=1265492183

changilass
06-Feb-10, 22:29
I thought publishing was more for 'printed' work rather than 'craft' work?

Vistravi
06-Feb-10, 22:37
I'm really not sure as to what you would call it. My partner thought i could sell them to hallmark or a company like that. I honestly don't even know if it can be done :eek:

ShelleyCowie
06-Feb-10, 22:41
Chances are you might be able to sell bundles to local shops first, like in thurso you could sell to Jimbews, Frame It, Tickity-Boo....Shops like that sell wee crafty cards.

Worth a try! :cool:

Kodiak
07-Feb-10, 00:42
I can advise you of this. The Greetings Cards Company's all use their own inhouse Artists. The main reason for this is Copyright. Every inhouse Artist has to sign an agreement that any and all designs that they create and that "All the Copyright" belongs to the said Company.

So due to this they will not normally consider any form of Artwork from a outside source.

cuddlepop
07-Feb-10, 16:06
Chances are you might be able to sell bundles to local shops first, like in thurso you could sell to Jimbews, Frame It, Tickity-Boo....Shops like that sell wee crafty cards.

Worth a try! :cool:

You seen all those handmade cards over here for sale too,there must be a market as everyone seems to be at it,

We have black and white photographs as cards with a religious message for sale at our shop.
They are very effective.:D

Give it a go Vistravi

locini
07-Feb-10, 16:50
LMAO...:roll:!

That's given me my laugh for the day!

Blarney
07-Feb-10, 23:32
Does anyone know if it is possible to get your handmade cards published? My partner mentioned it to me today and it got me thinking about maybe getting mine punblished as such. Don't even know if its possible but does anyone know how you could do it?

Here is an example of one of mine. My family and friends and anyone who has recieved a handmade card from me over the last year have all told me that they are really good even the ones i was doubtful about after finishing. I'm not being arrogant and it is my family and friends who have all told me to go for it and give it a go.

http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac291/MJA1988/DSC00017.jpg?t=1265492183
Without being unkind, I feel that you have answered your own query here. As you have said, it was your friends and family who complimented you on your handiwork so they would indeed be biased at it was made especially for them. Therefore, they would appreciate the sentiment and time taken to put it together but from an outsider's perspective my advice would be to stick to making them for your friends and relations. From your example I would venture that your efforts are somewhat lacking in originality of design and as someone else has already pointed out, there are quite a number of card makers out there already so you would be entering a fairly saturated market. I'm sorry if that sounds brutal but you did ask for an opinion. I think it's wrong that folk should be encouraging you to spend a substantial amount of time and money on something which in my opinion would be doomed to failure.

Kevin Milkins
08-Feb-10, 00:14
While reading this thread, Mrs M just brought me her latest bit of handy work to show me, (a birthday card for a friend) and although it was delightful and very original I doubt very much if there is any shillings to be made out of the job.:confused
Good luck all the same.

porshiepoo
08-Feb-10, 00:28
I completely agree that this market is a hard nut to crack nowadays.
There are just too many people already on the bandwagon and handmade cards are looking more and more professional and less 'handmade' as it were.
That may be a contradiction in terms but nowadays it seems to me that being 'handmade' just doesn't cut it anymore. With home shopping channels selling card making goodies that leave cards looking more professional than handmade, the competition is stiff.

Vistravi it's good that you have a passion for what you do and I wish I could advise as to how you could go forward with such a project.
Perhaps you could make a selection of cards and sell them at work? Or ask those relatives who are encouraging you forward to take selections to work and try to sell them? Or perhaps craft fayres may be of some use to you?
You could also try EBay where you could also perhaps venture into homemade tags etc too?

I love making cards and I too have been told by many that I should sell them but I'm aware of the degree of competition out there now and to be honest for the effort that is involved in making the cards I make, it's probably not going to make me any money.
I'm quite happy to make luxury cards for the benefit of friends and family only.

Good Luck though :)

Vistravi
08-Feb-10, 00:37
I can advise you of this. The Greetings Cards Company's all use their own inhouse Artists. The main reason for this is Copyright. Every inhouse Artist has to sign an agreement that any and all designs that they create and that "All the Copyright" belongs to the said Company.

So due to this they will not normally consider any form of Artwork from a outside source.

Thank you Kodiak you have answered the question my partner made me think about.

I completely agree that this market is a hard nut to crack nowadays.
There are just too many people already on the bandwagon and handmade cards are looking more and more professional and less 'handmade' as it were.
That may be a contradiction in terms but nowadays it seems to me that being 'handmade' just doesn't cut it anymore. With home shopping channels selling card making goodies that leave cards looking more professional than handmade, the competition is stiff.

Vistravi it's good that you have a passion for what you do and I wish I could advise as to how you could go forward with such a project.
Perhaps you could make a selection of cards and sell them at work? Or ask those relatives who are encouraging you forward to take selections to work and try to sell them? Or perhaps craft fayres may be of some use to you?
You could also try EBay where you could also perhaps venture into homemade tags etc too?

I love making cards and I too have been told by many that I should sell them but I'm aware of the degree of competition out there now and to be honest for the effort that is involved in making the cards I make, it's probably not going to make me any money.
I'm quite happy to make luxury cards for the benefit of friends and family only.

Good Luck though :)

Thank you porshiepoo i think i will try craft fayres and ebay. I love making cards and get asked by my friends and family to make them cards for other people. My example was for my partner's grandmother who is in her 80s so i didn't want to make too complicated looking a card. Decided to go with simple and elegant. My partner liked it and his grandmother loved it.

Vistravi
08-Feb-10, 00:42
Without being unkind, I feel that you have answered your own query here. As you have said, it was your friends and family who complimented you on your handiwork so they would indeed be biased at it was made especially for them. Therefore, they would appreciate the sentiment and time taken to put it together but from an outsider's perspective my advice would be to stick to making them for your friends and relations. From your example I would venture that your efforts are somewhat lacking in originality of design and as someone else has already pointed out, there are quite a number of card makers out there already so you would be entering a fairly saturated market. I'm sorry if that sounds brutal but you did ask for an opinion. I think it's wrong that folk should be encouraging you to spend a substantial amount of time and money on something which in my opinion would be doomed to failure.

Thank you for your structured criticism. ;)

Vistravi
08-Feb-10, 00:44
Thank you for your replies, you have all helped me answer the question my partner made me think about. ;)