PDA

View Full Version : Children Abroad

Tweety
07-May-06, 19:43
Im planning on going abroad in July with my 3 year old. Can anyone advise whether it will be too hot as a few people have said that it probably will be.

Whitewater
07-May-06, 19:57
Depends where you are going. Dress in cool clothing, usehats for shade on the head, sit in the shade where possible, and pleanty of sun cream of the highest factor you can get. You should be OK, all resturants and hotels will be airconditioned so you can always go inside to cool off.

Have a good holiday.

bingo1
07-May-06, 20:06
I went abroad last year and i left my 5 year old at home as i thought he wouldnt cope with the heat. It was the worst thing i ever did as i missed him so very much. In orlando it reached heats that even i couldnt handle but we just went to the hotel at these times had shower and went to the pool. Next time i go i WILL take my little boy and just keep putting lotion on and sun hats etc. Go for it.

footie chick
07-May-06, 21:26
went to Turkey in june reached 32o were beside sea so didnt notice it too much younger ones had hand held fans if it got too hot LUCKY you have nice time

_Ju_
07-May-06, 21:37
Where you are going is very important. Is the water good quality (safest to use bottled opened by youif you want to avoid a holiday case of the runs). Also remember changes in diet will affect you, and more so, children. You might get loose stools- don't panic! It's normal with sudden dietry change.

Make sure to give alot of water to drink when its hot.

mareng
07-May-06, 21:47
Im planning on going abroad in July with my 3 year old. Can anyone advise whether it will be too hot as a few people have said that it probably will be.

I think you'll find that there are children "abroad" already.

garycs
07-May-06, 22:46
Young kids just seem to accept whatever comes their way, as long as you protect little 'un from the sun and make sure there's always plenty to drink you won't have any problems. What I would say is that if you are going somewhere very hot, do what the locals do and stay indoors in the middle of the day.

angela5
07-May-06, 23:04
do what the locals do and stay indoors in the middle of the day.

[lol] Sounds fab..

Kenn
08-May-06, 01:15
We first travelled with our 2 aged 3 and 4 but chose our moments and checked the temperatures at the resort we were going to.
We never went in high summer as they were both very fair but found that for Mediterranean destinations that late April and May were the best months.It's also green and very beautiful then.
If you are going in high summer then make sure you are armed with a very high factor sun cream, suitable sun hats and be prepared to do what the locals do and take a siesta in the hottest part of the day.
Happy holidaying.

George Brims
08-May-06, 18:47
A few comments on the "drink the water" business. Bottled water is not always what you think it is - check the seal *very* carefully as often the water is the local tap water in a refilled bottle. Unfortunately sometimes it's local tap water in a brand new bottle with a fake label!

Beware of ice if you get a drink in a bar or cafe! It is just the local tap water made hard.

In general you can get sick from local water wherever you go. A colleague of mine moved to Japan for two years and was sick the first week he went there, and sick for the first two weeks after he moved back!

And a last cheerful note. Bottled water even in non-third world countries (USA for example) is, guess what? Tap water. Tap water with the germ-killing chlorine filtered out. A US consumer magazine found your chances of drinking unhealthy levels of bacteria in commercial bottled water were ONE IN THREE. The legal standards for tap water are actually stricter than for bottled water in California. But Californians are generally hooked on the bottled stuff (we even have a brand with beef and other flavours for cats an dogs!).