PDA

View Full Version : Who should be the new rector of Wick High?

crayola
05-Feb-10, 23:39
According to the Groat....

WICK High School looks set to be without a rector at the helm for a number of months

:

A Highland Council spokesperson confirmed yesterday that none of the six candidates had got through to the second stage of the interview process and that the local authority would be re-advertising as soon as possible.No candidates forward for Wick post (http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/7795/No_candidates_forward_for_Wick_post.html)

I think it's about time the Org helped out. We can surely find them a person or persons to run the school until they uncover a great talent to take over one of our county's most important establishments.

Who can we think of that has plenty to say but is currently either unemployed or under employed, or has recently experienced a change of circumstances that has given them time to burn?

I'll provide the short list. You decide who gets the job.

joxville
05-Feb-10, 23:43
Wot, no poll? :eek:

telfordstar
05-Feb-10, 23:43
I think In my honest opinion that what Wick High School needs is some fresh blood in as a new rector. Someone who dosnt pussy foot around being friends with everyone gets the school and staff whipped into shape and takes it up to a better standard. Thats my opinion.

Amy-Winehouse
05-Feb-10, 23:45
Is this another dodgy poll Crayola :D

What about Rheghead ?? When he was a member on here he posted a lot- now hes got time to go outside & see the real world, I think he gets my vote. If he makes a hips of it , I wont hesitate to let him know :Razz

emb123
05-Feb-10, 23:48
Maybe Gordon Brown will be looking for a new job soon. From the sounds of it he seems to fit the bill. He's certainly pushy enough and I can't see him being friends with anyone lol

crayola
05-Feb-10, 23:52
Is this another dodgy poll Crayola :D

What about Rheghead ?? When he was a member on here he posted a lot- now hes got time to go outside & see the real world, I think he gets my vote. If he makes a hips of it , I wont hesitate to let him know :Razz
He's already on the short list. Great minds think alike eh? :D

Maybe Gordon Brown will be looking for a new job soon. From the sounds of it he seems to fit the bill. He's certainly pushy enough and I can't see him being friends with anyone lol
He's not out of a job. Yet.

On the other hand his predecessor missed out on the top EU job recently.

northener
06-Feb-10, 00:00
Just leave the little sods to me..........

Alice in Blunderland
06-Feb-10, 00:06

Oh I can see your first introductions as the head.............

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:RMFtUVrkvOzOmM:http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=685598

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:pQvq6KSuCbPj_M:http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_TGisiI_dI2E/SJIKq9j-KAI/AAAAAAAAAFA/egQcRx6yFxU/s400/School%2Bbelts.jpg

and the trebuchet ?

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:aLSpja21pEnJxM:http://www.civfanatics.com/images/civ4/warlords/trebuchet_ca.gif

redeyedtreefrog
06-Feb-10, 00:30
Just out of curiosity, who make up the triumvirate?

Blarney
06-Feb-10, 00:33
What a pity that Prof. Baikie isn't going for the job himself. They need someone with his credentials and the tenacity to stop all the nonsense and get on with building a decent school and rebuilding the reputation of Wick High as an establishment that produces first rate scholars.

Tubthumper
06-Feb-10, 00:54
Prof Baikie would seem the obvious candidate to me. Crayola, please amend your poll.
We paid for his education, now it's time for some compensation...

crayola
06-Feb-10, 01:00
I've already tried to amend it but there isn't an option to do so.

You paid for my education too, can I have the job? On second thoughts most of my higher education was paid for by Mirror readers and I wouldn't want them to get the job. :eek:

Tubthumper
06-Feb-10, 01:04
You paid for my education too, can I have the job? On second thoughts most of my higher education was paid for by Mirror readers and I wouldn't want them to get the job. :eek:
Ah but you're not here, and you're not spearheading. Also you're not a professor (?)
Daily Mirror readers?? - Explain please?

crayola
06-Feb-10, 01:19
Where I am should be neither here nor there if I were the best candidate but I'm not so I won't pursue that avenue.

I paid my way through uni courtesy of the 'readers' of a certain red top. It wasn't my proudest moment but it paid for a decent flat in Finchley and better food, drink and clothes than my peers. :)

Tubthumper
06-Feb-10, 01:22
What, like.... boobies???
I bet the parent council meetings would be full...

Moira
06-Feb-10, 01:29
I may have considered voting on this poll. Truth is. Crayola has no clue.

crayola
06-Feb-10, 01:33
Actually I do. I know one of the six. I wouldn't have hired him either.

Cattach
06-Feb-10, 09:08
I think In my honest opinion that what Wick High School needs is some fresh blood in as a new rector. Someone who dosnt pussy foot around being friends with everyone gets the school and staff whipped into shape and takes it up to a better standard. Thats my opinion.

Couuld hardly accuse Mr Traill of pussy footing around. The school made excellent progress under him in a short time. He sorted out many of the long standing discipline issues and just a pity he did not have a few more years left in hm before retirement.

northener
06-Feb-10, 09:44
Oh I can see your first introductions as the head.............

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:RMFtUVrkvOzOmM:http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=685598

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:pQvq6KSuCbPj_M:http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_TGisiI_dI2E/SJIKq9j-KAI/AAAAAAAAAFA/egQcRx6yFxU/s400/School%2Bbelts.jpg

and the trebuchet ?

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:aLSpja21pEnJxM:http://www.civfanatics.com/images/civ4/warlords/trebuchet_ca.gif

Trebuchet good.

The sling will be large enough to fit two of the little darlings in. The target is the harbour.

Forced marching, manners, plus developing a questioning mind and independant thinking will be the mainstay of my academic year.

Alice in Blunderland
06-Feb-10, 10:10
Trebuchet good.

The sling will be large enough to fit two of the little darlings in. The target is the harbour.

Ah but northener they lost the use of the swimming pool at the high school a few years ago which means some of the darlings cant swim......................... :eek: or is that the plan. ;)

Forced marching, manners, plus developing a questioning mind and independant thinking will be the mainstay of my academic year.

Errm when can you start ? I believe the post is vacant and a prompt start would be an advantage..........oh and are you any good with bricks and mortar as there may well be a small building project coming off ? :lol:

Boozeburglar
06-Feb-10, 12:49
Rheghead?

No way! With his lenient views on certain matters, he would allow anyone to teach there!

;)

joxville
06-Feb-10, 15:15
Ah but you're not here, and you're not spearheading. Also you're not a professor (?)
Daily Mirror readers?? - Explain please?

What, like.... boobies???
I bet the parent council meetings would be full...

Crayola claims to have been a Page 3 bird in her earlier life. She was also on pages 4,5 & 6. :eek: ;)

[lol]

LMS
06-Feb-10, 16:32

As soon as I read the original post, I decided that Northerner was the man for the job, then I was just scrolling down to the bottom to post and noticed the above.

Have you any teaching qualifications Northerner? When can you start?

balto
06-Feb-10, 16:36
i went to wick high school many years ago, to many for my liking lol, whats it like these days, as in bullying and the such like, my oldest is starting high school in august, but is having hassle over the internet from a few girls who will be a year or 2 above her when she goes, they were threating her an stuff, and they turne up near our home today, and as we have spent most of her primary school years with bother i would rather she didnt start thurso high.

sweetpea
06-Feb-10, 19:26
I was talking to four young lads from the school the other day and they said they thought it was a shame Mr Traill was gone and that he was 'ok' they thought. Said he stood for no nonsense.
Balto, i'd reckon all school have the same problems andf in my experience girls are worse than boys for bullying. They have some techniques like excluding each other socially and stuff. It's a choice you and your daughter have to make but if she is going to go to Wick then probably best that she starts in 1st year than changing half way through.

im behind you
06-Feb-10, 20:20
Couuld hardly accuse Mr Traill of pussy footing around. The school made excellent progress under him in a short time. He sorted out many of the long standing discipline issues and just a pity he did not have a few more years left in hm before retirement.
i thought he did have a few years left in him. but ching ching saw the pound signs and went. to which any decint person would do i suppose

girnigoe
06-Feb-10, 20:33
BRING BACK MR TRAILL!!!! I say.....

That school has gone to the dogs since he left!! He really did a lot for the school with regards to bullying.... I think its going down hill again [mad]

american gal
06-Feb-10, 21:24
Mr Traill is a bully himself he could relate with the bullies very well indeed, no way should he be taken back however Mr Manson was rector and Mr Clarke deputy when i was there and they ran that school very well bring them back i say. Mr Allan History teacher was another good teacher.:D

girnigoe
06-Feb-10, 21:58
Mr Manson was RUBBISH at dealing with the bullying!! The kids had absolutely NO respect for him at all. I dont think Mr Traill was a bully though I felt the kids knew they had to tow the line when he was in charge.

Amy-Winehouse
06-Feb-10, 22:02
Mr Traill is a bully himself he could relate with the bullies very well indeed, no way should he be taken back however Mr Manson was rector and Mr Clarke deputy when i was there and they ran that school very well bring them back i say. Mr Allan History teacher was another good teacher.:D

I disagree, Alistair Traill was a good teacher, I had him for a year in Geography & if you were respectful & got on with your work he was sound with you- It also helped if you supported the Rangers & played football ;)

Since I left the school I have been in Alistairs company in the FSC & he was spot on- as was Tom Allan, I was a bit wary of him at school but a better guy you couldnt meet tbh & he was a good teacher imo

redeyedtreefrog
06-Feb-10, 22:03
Mr Manson was RUBBISH at dealing with the bullying!! The kids had absolutely NO respect for him at all. I dont think Mr Traill was a bully though I felt the kids knew they had to tow the line when he was in charge.

Yeah Mr Traill was very intimidating, but not a bully. As are the rest of senior management.

2little2late
06-Feb-10, 22:21
And the bullying still goes on. Is there any one capable of Rectoring the High School? (No offence intended). Let's face it some of the pupils are out of control.

Tubthumper
06-Feb-10, 22:26
And what are the parents doing about these out-of-control pupils? They must belong to someone, mustn't they?
You all want a great Rector. But if WHS is as bad as you say, what great Rector is going take over Wick and burst his hump, to have endless streams of parents complaining about every little aspect of everything?
A great school starts with great parents. Sort it out.

crayola
07-Feb-10, 00:26
Good grief, Bill Fernie is winning. :eek:

He isn't eligible because as far as I'm aware he doesn't satisfy the criterion of being 'either unemployed or under employed, or has recently experienced a change of circumstances that has given him time to burn.'

Moira
07-Feb-10, 01:01
Actually I do. I know one of the six. I wouldn't have hired him either.
Why then do you seek to trivialise such an important issue by posting another one of your silly polls? I would suggest that you are easily bored. :)

Boozeburglar
07-Feb-10, 01:35
Why then do you seek to trivialise such an important issue by posting another one of your silly polls? I would suggest that you are easily bored. :)

Hey, that seems uncalled for. I did not even know about this issue until I saw Cray's thread.

What is the problem with a bit of satire?

:)

sweetpea
07-Feb-10, 02:07
Good grief, Bill Fernie is winning. :eek:

He isn't eligible because as far as I'm aware he doesn't satisfy the criterion of being 'either unemployed or under employed, or has recently experienced a change of circumstances that has given him time to burn.'

That's not criteria, bottom line is you need some experience as deputy first and have a geniune interest. I haven't voted cos I don't like the poll choices,lol

Sporran
07-Feb-10, 04:53
Hmmm, I have to admit that Rector Rheghead has a nice ring to it! :cool:

LMS
07-Feb-10, 10:19

Well said.

The children don't need a nicey-nicey rector, they need someone who installs a sense of fear into them. They need to know to tow the line. A decent rector has these attributes and that doesn't make them a bully. Children are at school to gain an education, they are not there for a social life with softly-softly teachers.

Any decent candidates are probably put off the job with the 'don't blame my Johnnie' culture from parents. Parents can't accept that their little Johnnies are little brats outside the house, and should Johnnie receive any form of reprimand at school, they are up knocking on the school door complaining. The rector couldn't win - reprimand the thugs and you get Mrs Thug at the door, go easy on the thug and you get Mrs Smith at the door.

Mr McIvor in Miller Academy was a brilliant headmaster, the children quaked whenever they saw him and there was no nonsense - firstly because most of the children wouldn't dare and secondly, because those who did were sorted out and told that such actions would not be tolerated.

I think the whole decent rector debate goes back to society in general, we are far too tolerant of thugs and chavs, and then those who stamp on anti-social behaviour are told to be nicer and accused of being bullies. As mentioned in a previous post, stamp out behaviour at home with responsible parenting and then the rector's life is much easier. A wee bit of authority from him or her, would keep any errant little dear in check.

Blarney
07-Feb-10, 21:31
Well said.

The children don't need a nicey-nicey rector, they need someone who installs a sense of fear into them. They need to know to tow the line. A decent rector has these attributes and that doesn't make them a bully. Children are at school to gain an education, they are not there for a social life with softly-softly teachers.

Any decent candidates are probably put off the job with the 'don't blame my Johnnie' culture from parents. Parents can't accept that their little Johnnies are little brats outside the house, and should Johnnie receive any form of reprimand at school, they are up knocking on the school door complaining. The rector couldn't win - reprimand the thugs and you get Mrs Thug at the door, go easy on the thug and you get Mrs Smith at the door.

Mr McIvor in Miller Academy was a brilliant headmaster, the children quaked whenever they saw him and there was no nonsense - firstly because most of the children wouldn't dare and secondly, because those who did were sorted out and told that such actions would not be tolerated.

I think the whole decent rector debate goes back to society in general, we are far too tolerant of thugs and chavs, and then those who stamp on anti-social behaviour are told to be nicer and accused of being bullies. As mentioned in a previous post, stamp out behaviour at home with responsible parenting and then the rector's life is much easier. A wee bit of authority from him or her, would keep any errant little dear in check.
Couldn't agree with you more LMS. The decent folk in society are being swamped by thugs and chavs who are eroding the quality of life in the whole country. Good manners and respect for others are unheard of for some and the anti-social brigade is infiltrating society at an alarming rate. Bring back deterrents and authority figures who will command respect and maybe there will be hope for the coming generations.

Cattach
07-Feb-10, 21:54
i thought he did have a few years left in him. but ching ching saw the pound signs and went. to which any decint person would do i suppose

He was over the retirment age - maybe just that he looks young!!

Tubthumper
07-Feb-10, 21:57
...Children are at school to gain an education, they are not there for a social life with softly-softly teachers.

Any decent candidates are probably put off the job with the 'don't blame my Johnnie' culture from parents.... A wee bit of authority from him or her, would keep any errant little dear in check.

...The decent folk in society are being swamped by thugs and chavs who are eroding the quality of life in the whole country...
OK so what are we going to do about it? Here in Wick I mean?

Cattach
07-Feb-10, 21:58
I disagree, Alistair Traill was a good teacher, I had him for a year in Geography & if you were respectful & got on with your work he was sound with you- It also helped if you supported the Rangers & played football ;)

Since I left the school I have been in Alistairs company in the FSC & he was spot on- as was Tom Allan, I was a bit wary of him at school but a better guy you couldnt meet tbh & he was a good teacher imo

Always thought he was an Aberdeen supporter.

Turquoise
07-Feb-10, 22:14

Why exactly Moira do you insist upon making nasty comments about the purpose of members' posts/polls?

It is a public forum and as such, Crayola is perfectly entitled to post whatever she likes. If you don't like the subject, don't post on it.

Boozeburglar
07-Feb-10, 22:26

Not my experience with him.

Blarney
07-Feb-10, 23:06
OK so what are we going to do about it? Here in Wick I mean?
Unfortunately, Tub it won't be up to us to do anything about it. As I said previously, Prof. Iain Baikie would be my choice as a suitable rector as I think he has proved himself to be a man of integrity and principle who is undoubtedly of a far superior intellect to many of the numpties who represent us at regional level. My personal solution to the dilemma would be far too radical and certainly not up for discussion on a public forum..

ducati
07-Feb-10, 23:34
Couldn't agree with you more LMS. The decent folk in society are being swamped by thugs and chavs who are eroding the quality of life in the whole country. Good manners and respect for others are unheard of for some and the anti-social brigade is infiltrating society at an alarming rate. Bring back deterrents and authority figures who will command respect and maybe there will be hope for the coming generations.

YES,YES Charlie Manson-he has my vote!

northener
08-Feb-10, 02:09
I would say that acedemic capability is a secondary skill when it comes to running schools these days.

My brothers' father in law was a head teacher for many years, he left because he finally saw himself a merely being a manager as opposed to being a head teacher.
In other words, he felt he was constrained by those above him and had no influence upon the teaching methods and routine of those who were 'below' him in the schools.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.....

Like I said, leave the little darlings to me.:evil

Flashman
08-Feb-10, 13:46
Hope they bring in someone externally, that School needs a massive overhaul.

Far too many teachers are just picking up a wage and there must be many a child who has under achieved in Wick High's recent history because they were not pushed or led in the right direction.

Amy-Winehouse
08-Feb-10, 14:25
Always thought he was an Aberdeen supporter.

I thought he was a bear ??:eek: Mostly coz he was praising Mr Smith so much.

Invisible
08-Feb-10, 15:23
I see no-one wants Stephen Hawking as the rector, is there no wheelchair access or is it his accent?

Cattach
08-Feb-10, 15:52
I thought he was a bear ??:eek: Mostly coz he was praising Mr Smith so much.

In this context I do not know what a bear is and as for Mr Smith - which one?

Tubthumper
08-Feb-10, 17:46
Hope they bring in someone externally, that School needs a massive overhaul. Far too many teachers are just picking up a wage and there must be many a child who has under achieved in Wick High's recent history because they were not pushed or led in the right direction.
Working in a slum. With parents who don't support the parent council, wittering on this site about having to buy school uniform, saying 'My Johnny would never bully anyone,' 'this teacher bullied my daughter', 'no-one saw anything'.
Yeah, you're going to get a top-class performer to beat a path to this toxic school, aren't you?
The parents need to sort themselves and their kids out. And those whose kids are genuinely suffering need to get together to sort out the bums and hobos whose kids are causing the problems.

Invisible
08-Feb-10, 17:52
If John Terry get's the post does that mean he would sleep with the teachers wife's?

Turquoise
08-Feb-10, 18:03
I would say that acedemic capability is a secondary skill when it comes to running schools these days.

My brothers' father in law was a head teacher for many years, he left because he finally saw himself a merely being a manager as opposed to being a head teacher.
In other words, he felt he was constrained by those above him and had no influence upon the teaching methods and routine of those who were 'below' him in the schools.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.....

Like I said, leave the little darlings to me.:evil

Please Northerner, go and get some teaching qualifications...you would be brilliant!! I bet you would give 'em a proper education!

BRIE
09-Feb-10, 12:01
I didnt like Mr Traill at all found him very unapproachable & very rude if you questioned his methods.His no nonsense approach boiled down to ringing the police whenever there was an incident of any sort which didnt go down to well with the local constabulary:eek:
not a bad wage for a new rector though £66,000!

Tubthumper
09-Feb-10, 13:44
So the new Rector is expected to be decisive and sort out the problems without being unapproachable. In the event of an incident, he should take firm action (which may be questioned by all and sundry) but not be rude or call the police. And above all Brie should like him or her.
The person that meets those criteria will be well worth £66k.
Sheesh, you people....

BRIE
09-Feb-10, 21:45
why should i have to like him or her tubthumper??:confused
I would think they would have to be approachable if they wished to succeed in their post, would be a hard job if you werent!

Cattach
09-Feb-10, 21:55
I didnt like Mr Traill at all found him very unapproachable & very rude if you questioned his methods.His no nonsense approach boiled down to ringing the police whenever there was an incident of any sort which didnt go down to well with the local constabulary:eek:
not a bad wage for a new rector though £66,000!

How do we know the problem was not caused by you. Maybe the way you treated him made him unapproachable and apparently rude to you. Being liked universally is not a requirement for a good head teacher. Nowadays many parents can see no wrong in their children so when those children are chastised then the child is defended right or wrong. The vast majority of the cooment regarding Mr Traill I have heard, and that is a lot, has been very favourable and he left the school in a far better state than he found it. Maybe you will only see his worth after the next incumbent gets started in the job!

BRIE
09-Feb-10, 22:07
maybe it was me that caused him to be like that as he was ok until i questioned his methods! :lol:. Just a shame he couldnt remain professional in the situation.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
09-Feb-10, 22:07
Alistair was spot on as rector,IMO.The new rector of the school,I would go for Les Gunn.I never went to Wick High,so maybe I havnae the right to say.Mr Gunn or Mr Legg.I think Mr Legg has retired.Doin his own arty stuff noo and again:lol:.

So I say Mr Gunn.

Cattach
11-Feb-10, 09:17
maybe it was me that caused him to be like that as he was ok until i questioned his methods! :lol:. Just a shame he couldnt remain professional in the situation.

Just because someone diagrees with you when you question them makes them unprofessional. And I just wonder how and about what you questioned him.

BRIE
11-Feb-10, 13:57
Just because someone diagrees with you when you question them makes them unprofessional. And I just wonder how and about what you questioned him.

no of course them disagreeing doesnt make them unproffessional! but putting down the phone on a parent & refusing to see a parent privately to discuss a school matter is.If you do a search im sure you will find the thread where it was all explained but I would be digging it all up again. Like i said i didnt like the last rector & i will be glad to see a new one take over.

KitKat
11-Feb-10, 17:39
no of course them disagreeing doesnt make them unproffessional! but putting down the phone on a parent & refusing to see a parent privately to discuss a school matter is.If you do a search im sure you will find the thread where it was all explained but I would be digging it all up again. Like i said i didnt like the last rector & i will be glad to see a new one take over.

Highland Council's policy is very clear:

http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourenvironment/healthandsafety/healthandsafetypolicies/hs-policy-viol-wrk-hs.htm

If you raised your voice and were objectional in any way he would have been totally within his rights to put the phone down.

If there is any risk at all that a member of the public may become abusive in any way, Highland Council staff are advised not to see that person on their own. They are also advised to terminate contact if they feel in any way or manner threatened by a member of the public. This policy applies to all Highland Council employees.

Sometimes what one person sees as being persistant or forceful can be sen by another as harassment or intimidation. What one person sees as being unprofessional another may see as self preservation. At the end of the day it comes down to an individual's judgement of the situation

Tubthumper
11-Feb-10, 19:36
... Like i said i didnt like the last rector & i will be glad to see a new one take over.
And when he/ she puts the phone down on you for getting irate and yelling in their ear, you won't like them either.

What is it you people want???

BRIE
12-Feb-10, 09:58
And when he/ she puts the phone down on you for getting irate and yelling in their ear, you won't like them either.

What is it you people want???

in reply to you & kitkat. You obviously havent met me! or maybe you wouldnt be so prosumptious! I speak to people in the same way i wish to be spoken too, raised voices do not solve problems. but thank you both for being unbiased.:lol:

florence
13-Feb-10, 21:14
I think it would be a good start if the new rector actually liked young people and wanted to make a positive difference to their futures. Rule by love not fear, that's what I say;).

Best teachers I had never raised their voices: they never had to.

crayola
05-Jun-10, 00:33
I'm saddened to read that WHS still hasn't appointed a permanent rector four months after I started this thread. :(

On the positive side I'm delighted to read in the Groat that funding has been announced for a brand new school. :)

Wick High plan gets cash boost (http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/8221/Wick_High_plan_gets_cash_boost.html)

WICK High has secured funding to the tune of £18.4 million towards the building of a new "all-singing, all-dancing" school which will include a community swimming pool, library and performance venue.