PDA

View Full Version : Lift wanted Wick to Newcastle or nearer to Newcastle next week

emb123
05-Feb-10, 11:33
Hi,
getting a car from a dealer in Newcastle next week but unfortunately they can't get a driver to bring it up to their Inverness branch ('it's a long way. and we've had this problem before: the guys don't want to do it' :eek:).

They need to sort a few things out before selling it to me but are hoping to have it ready for Monday (but I suspect it may be Tuesday or Wednesday).

Is there anyone going down to that neck of the woods or to Edinburgh/Perth or somewhere a bit nearer who wouldn't mind giving me a lift down ? I can contribute towards the fuel cost and have fully comp insurance so can even help with the driving if required. (I drive a van all the time as part of my job and used to work as a taxi driver for a while.)

IF you can help I would be grateful if you would pls msg me, or call/txt either 01955 631229 / 07854060933
thanks!!

Stig
05-Feb-10, 12:23
Tell them if they don't get it to Inverness its a no deal, They'll soon get it up. sounds like Arnold Shark?

They just don't want to pay a driver, I had similar problem in Glasgow. I did go down but haggled a better deal. They have more to lose we just have the travel cost.
So HAGGLE HARD:lol:

rob1
05-Feb-10, 13:55
Good idea Stig. What about telling them you will charge them £2000 in a series of admin costs, time cost, cost of taking 2 days off from work, accomodation, subsutance, fuel, depreaciation cost on the cars and anything else you can think of.

emb123
05-Feb-10, 13:58
Tell them if they don't get it to Inverness its a no deal, They'll soon get it up. sounds like Arnold Shark?

They just don't want to pay a driver, I had similar problem in Glasgow. I did go down but haggled a better deal. They have more to lose we just have the travel cost.
So HAGGLE HARD:lol:
hi thanks for the tip. my boss says the same, mind you the deal is done and to be honest my haggling has been with other aspects of the car and I'm very with what has finally been agreed. I'm not going to mention which company, but I did find the salesman very helpful and he did agree a couple of very worthwhile things done if I collected. Still a pest tho'.

I might yet need to ask him to come up to Edinburgh at the least - its only 120 miles.

Hope the snow and ice is gone for the drive up!

cuddlepop
05-Feb-10, 13:59
Hi,
getting a car from a dealer in Newcastle next week but unfortunately they can't get a driver to bring it up to their Inverness branch ('it's a long way. and we've had this problem before: the guys don't want to do it' :eek:).

They need to sort a few things out before selling it to me but are hoping to have it ready for Monday (but I suspect it may be Tuesday or Wednesday).

Is there anyone going down to that neck of the woods or to Edinburgh/Perth or somewhere a bit nearer who wouldn't mind giving me a lift down ? I can contribute towards the fuel cost and have fully comp insurance so can even help with the driving if required. (I drive a van all the time as part of my job and used to work as a taxi driver for a while.)

IF you can help I would be grateful if you would pls msg me, or call/txt either 01955 631229 / 07854060933
thanks!!

I know you want this car but I'd tell them to stuff it.:mad:
Have you added up how much extra this is going to cost you.

northener
05-Feb-10, 14:07
I'll ask around over the weekend, mate.

BTW is that you on the avatar?;)

emb123
05-Feb-10, 14:28
I'll ask around over the weekend, mate.

BTW is that you on the avatar?;)

re the avatar, it a 'sort of'. I used to look like that pretty much. Don't have quite so much hair now tho' LOL

emb123
05-Feb-10, 14:36
I know you want this car but I'd tell them to stuff it.:mad:
Have you added up how much extra this is going to cost you.
I know I could have probably pushed a bit harder. I hate long drives anyway, so whilst a trip back from Edinburgh is one thing, drving back from Newcastle is a pain in the erm ...neck.

I've done my sums and it would cost a pretty penny, both to get down there and to drive back, plus I've had to ask a friend to dog-sit. Maybe I'll just go back to them and push for the car to brought up at least half way. They have enough dealers in-between. With the deal I've negotiated I might need to pay a bit over the agreed price, but I think it would be worth it.

Mik.M.
05-Feb-10, 14:53
As others have said tell them bring it at least half way up to you or the deals off.They are having a tough time now so you should be in charge,they should be bending over backwards for you, you`re the customer. Remind them that it`s customers who pay their wages. Mik.

emb123
05-Feb-10, 15:25
Thanks guys. You've persuaded me to at least call them and push for the car to brought up at least some of the way.

I have already paid a deposit but I don't think it is such a great hardship for them and I know they will be making a good amount out of the final sale price.

Waiting on a call back now :)

Boozeburglar
05-Feb-10, 20:15
I take it is is a used car?

upolian
05-Feb-10, 20:20
id see the point of a lift if it was a private sale,but a garage making you find your own way down:roll:id tell them to get stuffed,as you said they are making enough on the final price,so......

Boozeburglar
05-Feb-10, 20:48
By the way, check the exact details of your insurance.

The part where it suggests you can drive any other vehicle with the owner's permission is a bit misleading normally.

It usually restricts that cover to 3rd Party only.

emb123
05-Feb-10, 22:04
aye, it's a used car - can't run to anything even remotely constituting fun to drive that's also new :)

The salesman I spoke to has been extremely helpful and if necessary is willing to do some driving himself part way to help me out, but he's been off today. Will see what I can manage when he's back in work tomorrow.

Yes, I do want this car and I'm commited to the tune of a few hundred £ deposit but I'm confident we can meet up in a showroom a bit further north, heck he could even take the girlfriend for a paid trip up to have a weekend on the town in Edinburgh :) or maybe not go with the girlfriend for that matter ;)

Ultimately it's not even the money, it's driving an unfamiliar car in uncertain weather conditions after an early start for an 8 hour drive that I'm not looking forward to!

Will play it by ear tomorrow.

Yes, I wouldn't be at all surprised if my cover when driving a car not specified on my policy would be 3rd party only.

I suppose that when you put it into perspective, I'm paying the asking price, although for that I'm getting some work done (timing belt, mot & service, 2 tyres and battery and anything else needed for mot). I'm paying extra for road tax. If it were a private sale then I agree that 'come and get it' would be the norm, but the margin for trade sales is that much higher, plus they get most of the vat back. It does seem maybe a bit half-hearted to not at least meet at a showroom somewhere halfway or at least a third of the way.

Venture
08-Feb-10, 11:19
If you are still needing a lift there is one to Edinburgh available on Wednesday. I'll call your mobile.:)

Stig
08-Feb-10, 18:23
aye, it's a used car - can't run to anything even remotely constituting fun to drive that's also new :)

The salesman I spoke to has been extremely helpful and if necessary is willing to do some driving himself part way to help me out, but he's been off today. Will see what I can manage when he's back in work tomorrow.

Yes, I do want this car and I'm commited to the tune of a few hundred £ deposit but I'm confident we can meet up in a showroom a bit further north, heck he could even take the girlfriend for a paid trip up to have a weekend on the town in Edinburgh :) or maybe not go with the girlfriend for that matter ;)

Ultimately it's not even the money, it's driving an unfamiliar car in uncertain weather conditions after an early start for an 8 hour drive that I'm not looking forward to!

Will play it by ear tomorrow.

Yes, I wouldn't be at all surprised if my cover when driving a car not specified on my policy would be 3rd party only.

I suppose that when you put it into perspective, I'm paying the asking price, although for that I'm getting some work done (timing belt, mot & service, 2 tyres and battery and anything else needed for mot). I'm paying extra for road tax. If it were a private sale then I agree that 'come and get it' would be the norm, but the margin for trade sales is that much higher, plus they get most of the vat back. It does seem maybe a bit half-hearted to not at least meet at a showroom somewhere halfway or at least a third of the way.

Your not commited to anything until you pay for it. Surely your going to test drive it first before you buy? You might decide its not for you and pull out which your well within your rights to do. And you get your deposit back.
Don't be taken in by them, they can take it to Inverness if they wanted to. Make sure you get a warranty as well.

emb123
11-Feb-10, 00:30
Your not commited to anything until you pay for it. Surely your going to test drive it first before you buy? You might decide its not for you and pull out which your well within your rights to do. And you get your deposit back.
Don't be taken in by them, they can take it to Inverness if they wanted to. Make sure you get a warranty as well.
Hi guys, thanks for all e advice. I got the car & took it for a test drive first. It's a very fine car and I'm generally delighted with it although part of the deal was that the timing belt be changed if they couldn't prove that it had been done. They couldn't, and my next door neighbour who is a fully trained car mechanic among his other qualifications had a look and pointed out the bolts needed to change the timing belt which were as unmarked as the day the car left the manufacturer, also the oxidising of the aluminium which would have left telltales if they had done any work on the engine (within the last few years - such was the degree of oxidisation). He also pointed out that the valve stem seals would benefit from replacement and that the rocker cover gasket looked like it needed replacing. There are lots of signs that the car has been standing for a long time. I see that they did at least change the oil.

The car has a full 12 months parts and labour warranty with the dealer group and I didn't even need to frighten the salesman with the potential cost (to them) of a new engine under warranty if the timing belt snaps now it's at least 3000 miles past due for replacement.

I'm a little nervous driving it with this potential problem and am rather annoyed to be honest, but they are looking at booking it in for the jobs to be done in the Inverness branch next week.

I don't think it unreasonable that they should fork out either for my travelling costs (and lunch too for that matter) or, given how serious it would be should the engine go bang between now and arriving in Inverness maybe some time next week, send a courtesy car, collect the car on a transporter, do the jobs and bring it back and take back their courtesy car.

I'm definitely annoyed, all down to a mechanic in the Newcastle branch who is either too over-worked or too lazy and obviously feels he won't 'get it in the neck' should there be a problem with a car he's given the 'all clear' to, within 1 day after the purchase.

That said, once it's been done, I will be absolutely delighted.

Also thanks to the folks with their kind offers - it was VERY much appreciated!!

northener
11-Feb-10, 00:38
Good to see you out today.

Poop, Poop!:Razz

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:IWv0lwO9VPaDtM:http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/witwtoad2.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/witwtoad2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/lookalikes/3615/ian_holloways_s.html&usg=__T4VNBFf7zNnpyF5zlMlaBPGN53Y=&h=1098&w=800&sz=346&hl=en&start=11&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=IWv0lwO9VPaDtM:&tbnh=150&tbnw=109&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtoad%2Bof%2Btoad%2Bhall%2Bpictures%26 ndsp%3D20%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26rls%3Dcom.micro soft:en-us%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1)

emb123
11-Feb-10, 00:48
Good to see you out today.

Poop, Poop!:Razz

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:IWv0lwO9VPaDtM:http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/witwtoad2.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/witwtoad2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/lookalikes/3615/ian_holloways_s.html&usg=__T4VNBFf7zNnpyF5zlMlaBPGN53Y=&h=1098&w=800&sz=346&hl=en&start=11&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=IWv0lwO9VPaDtM:&tbnh=150&tbnw=109&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtoad%2Bof%2Btoad%2Bhall%2Bpictures%26 ndsp%3D20%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26rls%3Dcom.micro soft:en-us%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1)

LOL - good pic! Hi. You were on e Ducati (I think) ?

Boozeburglar
11-Feb-10, 01:23
So the timing belt was not done . . . but they will do it next week?

emb123
11-Feb-10, 01:46
So the timing belt was not done . . . but they will do it next week?
That's the plan. It was on the job sheet to be done for the mechanic at the branch who released the car as ready to go when I collected on Tuesday. It obviously hasn't been done. The oxidisation on the timing belt cover is a dead giveaway.

Ultimately, if it fails, it will be the dealership (who I'm tempted to name and shame) who will bear the horrendous cost of repair/replacement. After such a long drive on Tuesday I don't particularly fancy another 225 mile round trip so soon but I'm definitely not going to make a weekly habit of it so they had better be all set to get the jobs all done there and then in one day, not just 'looked at'. The longer they delay, the more likely it is to cost them a couple of thousand pounds for a new engine.

Hopefully all the jobs will be done as soon as possible next week and I can stop panicking and enjoy my purchase!

Boozeburglar
11-Feb-10, 01:55
Well it sounds like you got an okay deal.

Sorry I could not help you get down, I was down to Fife yesterday but I had my dog with me and he needed to be kept calm.

Some timing belts are not going to kill your head on failure.

It depends what year/car it is.

:)

emb123
11-Feb-10, 02:44
Well it sounds like you got an okay deal.

Sorry I could not help you get down, I was down to Fife yesterday but I had my dog with me and he needed to be kept calm.

Some timing belts are not going to kill your head on failure.

It depends what year/car it is.

no worries :) My dog drives me nuts on long journeys. He pants and pesters the whole way. Did an 800 mile run a couple of years ago with him panting beside me the whole journey except for no more than an hour and half and where every stop 'cos I'm totally shattered was the perfect time to go out and play :)

This engine has variable valve timing which has an extra belt between the inlet and exhaust valves so I dread to think what kind of mess would result if the timing belt snapped.

Whilst I'm fearful for this rubber band snapping that drives the car I'm quite anxious, but (only) once the jobs have been done I will heave a huge sigh of relief and will really enjoy driving it :D

Fran
11-Feb-10, 03:35
My timing belt suddenly went at stirkoke on my way to wick. It cost £1,000 to repair 3 years ago.

Boozeburglar
11-Feb-10, 03:38
Then it was inteference fit.

:)