PDA

View Full Version : Challenge for Nirofo

Kenn
05-Feb-10, 02:24
I was delighted a few weeks back to see a Merlin hunting but my camera is not up to getting a picture.
So have you managed to get that bird in shot?

nirofo
05-Feb-10, 03:47
Just for you LIZZ.

Merlin male at nest.
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o71/nirofo/Birds/Merlinmaleatnest.jpg

nirofo.

Kenn
05-Feb-10, 10:41
Great picture, has to be one of the most beautiful raptors and was a treat to see it in the wild.

catherine nicol
05-Feb-10, 14:46
Wow, great picture.

Is there anything feathered that you don't have a photo of???

#Wow# awesome collection of pics you have.

dafi
05-Feb-10, 15:53
Exelent shot....i hope you had a licence ;)

kas
05-Feb-10, 18:38
He sure does Dafi.

Nice photo there as usual.

nirofo
05-Feb-10, 20:39
Exelent shot....i hope you had a licence ;)

Schedule One Licence for photography held since 1967.

nirofo.

dafi
06-Feb-10, 01:22
Cool as can be !!

Aaldtimer
06-Feb-10, 04:43
Erm...enlighten me. One needs a licence to take photos of birds?:confused

Kevin Milkins
06-Feb-10, 11:19

I wouldn't have thought you would need a licence to take photos of birds, but if you are likely to come into the zone of protected species and take a photo of Merlin from above the nest, then you would have to climb the tree to do it.
That would take a bit of skill and common sense as not to disturb the nest or the birds.

Kevin Milkins
06-Feb-10, 11:33
That is a cracking photo of a Merin and and it has been a delight to see a few of them since moving to Caithness.
My best sighting ever was last year when we were heading out of Reiss towards Castletown. On the long bit of straight road we were joined by a Merlin flying at window height along side the car for ages and looking at us as if to say "this is my road ,so clear off".
I suppose, because the Merlin usually nest on the ground in heather land it was seeing me off from what could have been near it's nest site.

dafi
06-Feb-10, 14:42
Here you go Kevin , you will find all you need to explain in these pages.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/ourwork/policy/wildbirdslaw/birdsandlaw/wca/index.asp

As to flying along bwside the car. This is probably a ruse to catch any small birds that are flushed by your passing. You can see the same behaviour from time to time if you watch behind a passing henharrier. Ocasionaly merlins will trail behind a quartering bird looking for a startled meal. I have had short eared owls do the same thing hunting along the fence line beside the bike whilst it is moving slowly. Its pretty smart when it happens...all be it rarely!!

nirofo
06-Feb-10, 17:11

The photo of the male Merlin in the old Hoodie nest was taken in 1973 under Schedule One Special Photograhy Licence, I no longer have a copy of the original licence, however here is a copy of a similar licence I used in 1994.

Schedule One Photography Licence.
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o71/nirofo/Miscellaneous/Merlin-Photographic-Licence-1994.jpg

The next photo is of a female Merlin at the nest containing young, she is calling to the male who has landed nearby with his latest catch of a Meadow Pipit. This was photographed under Schedule One Photographic Licence in 1984.

Merlin - female at nest with young.
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o71/nirofo/Birds/Merlin-female-at-nest-with-young_1.jpg

At one time nearly all bird photgraphy was done at or near the nest by necessity in order to get close enough to the subject and obtain a decent useable picture. Photography equipment, especially the lenses were either not up to the task of photographing birds at a distance, or were so expensive for mere mortals that very few were used successfully. Eventually lenses of good quality at affordable prices became available to almost everyone and film improved to such an extent that it was no longer necessary to get so close to the nest. Nest photography became less and less accepted in the birding fraternity and now virtually all bird photography is done away from the nest.

nirofo.

Aaldtimer
06-Feb-10, 18:43
Thanks for that nirofo, I never knew about the licences, but makes a lot of sense.
Great photos! :)

dafi
06-Feb-10, 23:31
Great stuff!!