PDA

View Full Version : Cinderella

DIH
04-Feb-10, 23:18
Much to our delight our 14 month old daughter has recently taken her first steps. I decided to go and get a good fitting pair of shoes for her and got her feet measured. My daughter I discovered has very wide feet with the result that I can't get a pair of shoes for her in Wick. The girls in DE shoes were great and ordered a pair in for her but when we tried them on, her feet wouldn't even go in them. I think they tried every children's shoe on her but like Cinderella she went home shoeless.

The shoes that were ordered in were Clarks. I always thought this was a great make but was disappointed to find I only had a choice of two pairs in their widest fitting (H). My daughter is almost an (I) fitting and they don't do this size. The colour choice was brown or baby pink!! I hate brown and the pink one's didn't fit.

I also went to Gunn's and they hadn't got anything that would do either. I'm now faced with a trip to Inverness (with my daughter) to the Clark's shop there to see if they can suggest anything.

I've also gone Online in the search of shoes but have been unable to find anything. Has anyone else had this problem? Can anyone suggest anywhere I can get shoe's for her? I really don't want to squash her feet in shoe's that don't fit but she can't go bare foot forever.

NLP
04-Feb-10, 23:36
Was a story in the P&J today about a man who has been barefoot for 7 years surely by then you'll find something for her lol.:roll:

Karen
04-Feb-10, 23:44
I used to have trouble getting shoes to fit my son when he was little as his feet were so narrow, he was a B fitting. I could only get Start-rite shoes in his size and we went to Inverness for them.

DIH
04-Feb-10, 23:49
Was a story in the P&J today about a man who has been barefoot for 7 years surely by then you'll find something for her lol.:roll:

What a caring auntie you are lol

DIH
04-Feb-10, 23:51
I used to have trouble getting shoes to fit my son when he was little as his feet were so narrow, he was a B fitting. I could only get Start-rite shoes in his size and we went to Inverness for them.

Where did you get them in Inverness?

Karen
04-Feb-10, 23:56
I can't remember the name of the shop, it was an old fashioned shop with boxes piled high all round the shop, sadly it's no longer there. I think First Footers sell Start-rite in Inverness now.

ShelleyCowie
05-Feb-10, 00:03
Much to our delight our 14 month old daughter has recently taken her first steps. I decided to go and get a good fitting pair of shoes for her and got her feet measured. My daughter I discovered has very wide feet with the result that I can't get a pair of shoes for her in Wick. The girls in DE shoes were great and ordered a pair in for her but when we tried them on, her feet wouldn't even go in them. I think they tried every children's shoe on her but like Cinderella she went home shoeless.

The shoes that were ordered in were Clarks. I always thought this was a great make but was disappointed to find I only had a choice of two pairs in their widest fitting (H). My daughter is almost an (I) fitting and they don't do this size. The colour choice was brown or baby pink!! I hate brown and the pink one's didn't fit.

I also went to Gunn's and they hadn't got anything that would do either. I'm now faced with a trip to Inverness (with my daughter) to the Clark's shop there to see if they can suggest anything.

I've also gone Online in the search of shoes but have been unable to find anything. Has anyone else had this problem? Can anyone suggest anywhere I can get shoe's for her? I really don't want to squash her feet in shoe's that don't fit but she can't go bare foot forever.

Howdy!

Your not the first person that has a child with this problem! It is so common now and shoe shops need to prepare for this.

What width is her feet? Also what length if u dont mind me asking? Im a shoe fitter and was for a good few years, my granny was a shoe fitter for over 30 years and my mum is aswell so we are all well trained.

If you can let me know her width and length i will try find something for her.

DIH
05-Feb-10, 00:21
Thanks for your help Shelley. The girls in DE's measured her feet size 4.5 and the width was between a H and an I fitting.

Fluff
05-Feb-10, 00:28
It might be worth trying John Lewis? They normally have quite a large children's show range

ShelleyCowie
05-Feb-10, 00:36
Thanks for your help Shelley. The girls in DE's measured her feet size 4.5 and the width was between a H and an I fitting.

And they couldnt order anything in for you? Wick DE's is a clarks stockist. They should be able to order any size/width fitting for you. Infact they can get more than any clarks store.

I will go on the hunt tomorrow for you. Will let you know then.

Also...any specific style? Colour? Just so i know what i am looking for!

DIH
05-Feb-10, 07:44
Shelley they did order me in the pale pink pair in a 4.5 H fitting but they wouldn't even go on her feet. They only had a choice of the pale pink pair or brown pair in their order book in an H fitting.

I've been on the clarks website and they only have 3 choices in the H fitting. The pale pink ones that didn't fit, the brown ones or a darker pink pair. The choice isn't great. Since posting I've ordered the dark pink pair in size 5 H (they didn't have any 4.5H in stock) and 4.5H in brown from the clarks website. I now have to wait for a text to say they are in stock in the clarks shop in Inverness and will then have to take my daughter down to see if any of them fit. They can only deliver to a clarks shop!!

I was trying to find a black pair or dark pink. I've ordered the brown just in case they fit but its a colour I really hate. A shoe on her feet in any colour would be better than none though.

Allsorts
05-Feb-10, 09:03
HI, my son has really narrow feet so we always have problems getting shoes but first footers in Inverness ( just up the hill from M&S) are great and do lots of continental makes so can usually find something to fit but like you we don't get much choice. If you phone them before you go down they will order shoes in for you to look at.

Good luck

Dadie
05-Feb-10, 11:28
We use first footers as well!
It saves the disappointment of not getting shoes after trailing round the shoe shops in Caithness ordering a few pairs that dont fit...etc ..etc..
They also take their time to make sure the shoes are fitting properly and the bairns are walking in them ok!

To find first footers come out the eastgate centre the old main entrance by markies and what was/is fat face and turn left up the hill, the shop is about half way up ( its a killer of a hill with the pram)

ter21wat
05-Feb-10, 12:23
Hi there, Startrites have a website and do a girls shoe in 4.5 up to an H fitting, http://www.startriteshoes.com/childrens-shoes/girls. Might save you a trip to inverness. :)

Thumper
05-Feb-10, 13:36
Try- shoesforkids.co.uk they have some x

cjb
05-Feb-10, 15:44
I always try to shop local but I've had 4 children with non standard width fittings and for anything other than wellies and slippers I use First footers in Inverness, though Clarks are very helpful they never seem to have much outwith the mainstream.
After 16 years of funny feet (and another 10 to go probably before I give up), I'd say go to Inverness and get them fitted, you could order a gazillion pairs that are the size they have been measured but the wrong shape or not well sized ... the only way to get a really good fit is to have each one tried on, and lovely as our local shops are we just don't have the population for them to stock enough for all shapes and sizes.. us weirdies have to head south. :lol:
Good Luck whatever and let us all know how you get on, if you discover something new.:Razz

ShelleyCowie
05-Feb-10, 17:17
Shelley they did order me in the pale pink pair in a 4.5 H fitting but they wouldn't even go on her feet. They only had a choice of the pale pink pair or brown pair in their order book in an H fitting.

I've been on the clarks website and they only have 3 choices in the H fitting. The pale pink ones that didn't fit, the brown ones or a darker pink pair. The choice isn't great. Since posting I've ordered the dark pink pair in size 5 H (they didn't have any 4.5H in stock) and 4.5H in brown from the clarks website. I now have to wait for a text to say they are in stock in the clarks shop in Inverness and will then have to take my daughter down to see if any of them fit. They can only deliver to a clarks shop!!

I was trying to find a black pair or dark pink. I've ordered the brown just in case they fit but its a colour I really hate. A shoe on her feet in any colour would be better than none though.

I have had a look for you and there are absolutely no "I" fittings online. But yes they were correct in ordering a half size bigger, that will give extra width.

Unfortunately kids feet being wide, high instep or even extremelly narrow is becoming more and more common. I have seen from the most narrow to wider than most could imagine on a wee one. And it upsets me that these kids can not get shoes to fit properly.

Incorrect fitted shoes cause extreme damage to feet. I have seen a 8 year old with bunions before and it was not a pretty site.

Correct fitted shoes are a must, only wear high heels for a short amount of time also. Even wearing trainers too often can result in flat feet which is uncomfortable.

I know more than i would like to about shoe fitting and peoples feet problems, it upsets me when people wont see sense.

If your child is not walking then no shoes at all are the best thing for them, let their feet breath. Obviously yes it will be fine if you are going out-doors then a soft shoe will be fine.

The last point i will make is if a child is starting to learn to walk let them go in bare feet, this lets them feel the balance they need. Shoes on their feet can confuse them sometimes as they have to walk differently in them.

DIH
05-Feb-10, 18:43
Thank you all for your help. I'll have a look at the suggested website and when I go to Inverness next week I'll have a look in first footers as well. I never thought it would be this hard to get my girl a pair of shoes.

Amy-Winehouse
05-Feb-10, 21:58
Both of my children have wide feet and the only shoes that fit them well are the wide fitting adidas shoes or vans which i order online. Got the adidas ones from gunns and there the ones i have to stick with as the other trainers and shoes are far to narrow.

telfordstar
05-Feb-10, 22:05

I hve the exact same problem with my son. My son was in a h fitting as well for a while some clarks fitted him in the h fitiing but the other ones( which were leather and a size h) didnt.

Thankfully as he got older he moved to a g fitting which is what he is now.

We took ous son to the clarks shop in inverness and they were fantastic and what a selection of shoees as well.

Godd luck!!!