PDA

View Full Version : Speeding near schools

Turquoise
04-Feb-10, 23:05
Right, I am absolutely sick of people in their cars, who bomb away from the 20mph school speed zones, especially at primary schools. There are still kids in the vicinity and planting your foot on the accelerator up to 40mph, as soon as you see the 30 sign, defeats the whole purpose!

It is especially dangerous just now when the road conditions have been so poor. I have seen loads of kids having to jump back onto the pavement, when some berk whose journey has been 'delayed' decides to come flying round the corner [disgust]

joxville
05-Feb-10, 01:00
Take a note of their registration, get a few witnesses and report to the Police, maybe they'll give the driver a stern talking too.

Boozeburglar
05-Feb-10, 03:05
This is why I would welcome the change to 20MPH for the urban limit.

Then around schools 10MPH

ducati
05-Feb-10, 09:19
This is why I would welcome the change to 20MPH for the urban limit.

Then around schools 10MPH

I agree, what happened to that idea about the chap walking in front of the car with a red flag?

Turquoise
05-Feb-10, 11:21
Jox - I might just do that, it would teach these people a very harsh lesson. I think it was last year, a judge gave a guy an instant ban for doing 35 in a 20 zone.

I think I'll need a very big pad to write down all of the reg numbers!

Venture
05-Feb-10, 13:01
Jox - I might just do that, it would teach these people a very harsh lesson. I think it was last year, a judge gave a guy an instant ban for doing 35 in a 20 zone.

I think I'll need a very big pad to write down all of the reg numbers!

I agree with Jox on this one. Perhaps if you are seen with a notebook taking down numbers it will also act as a detterent.;)

caithnesslad
05-Feb-10, 13:54
I remember a few years ago a school teacher ran into a student at whs.. And also i seen a boy from dunbeath get clipped by a wing mirror and fall onto the road one time due to some one whizzing past.

northener
05-Feb-10, 14:04
I remember a few years ago a school teacher ran into a student at whs.. And also i seen a boy from dunbeath get clipped by a wing mirror and fall onto the road one time due to some one whizzing past.

Doesn't suprise me at all.

All you have to do is watch the kids coming out with a blatant and deliberate disregard for the traffic to see where part of the problem lies, mix them with numpty drivers with the hazard perception skills of a myopic rabbit and eventually somebody's gonna get badly hurt......

Thumper
05-Feb-10, 15:23
Castletown Primary has a bad problem with speeding cars,they slow down until just after the carpark and then put the boot down,they forget that there are children coming from boths sides of the school road and its an accident waiting to happen!x

sms
05-Feb-10, 17:00
Something needs done about this and especially at Watten Primary School, the drivers have no consideration at all.

Vistravi
05-Feb-10, 17:44
Maybe i'm just too used to inverness and needing to make sure we always have 30 min to spare just in case the centre traffic is full to the gallons but... caithness is such a small place so how can anyone get delayed in the traffic? "rush hour" traffic anywhere in caithness is like late night traffic in inverness. Nothing! So where is the delay?

Turquoise
05-Feb-10, 17:53
Maybe i'm just too used to inverness and needing to make sure we always have 30 min to spare just in case the centre traffic is full to the gallons but... caithness is such a small place so how can anyone get delayed in the traffic? "rush hour" traffic anywhere in caithness is like late night traffic in inverness. Nothing! So where is the delay?

The delay is them having to slow down for a whole 30 secs while they drive through the 20 zone, of course! ;)

Vistravi
05-Feb-10, 18:06
The delay is them having to slow down for a whole 30 secs while they drive through the 20 zone, of course! ;)

Aye ;)

Now they should try driving from one side of ness to the other and see how long they get delayed then. Leaving more time always helps wonders. ;)

bluechesse
05-Feb-10, 19:10
Doesn't suprise me at all.

All you have to do is watch the kids coming out with a blatant and deliberate disregard for the traffic to see where part of the problem lies, mix them with numpty drivers with the hazard perception skills of a myopic rabbit and eventually somebody's gonna get badly hurt......

An excellent point made by Northerner regarding kids with total disregard to traffic. While Im not denying that some idiotic motorists do drive through the 20 mph limits at speeds exceeding the limit, it's not always the motorists who are at fault. Drive anywhere in the vacinity of Wick High at half past 3 and it's a challange NOT to run one of them over, regardelss of speed! It's like one of the challanges on the Krypton Factor! Most dont even bother to look before they wander out in the road, and a great many of those who do just walk out anyway and expect the oncoming car to slam its breaks on and come to a total hault just because they cant be bothered to wait. Drivers in a hurry? Not as much of a hurry as some of the pupils!

I have witnessed people driving through Watten at excessive speed, regardless of whether the 20 mph lights are flashing or not. Personally, I always drive at 20 past a school during the day, regardless of whether its flashing. But I would have to say that, in my experience, the behavour of most divers past the Hillheaq school is very good. Not sure if thats just due to the location or what.

As for booze burgars idea of dropping the speed limit to 20 in the town, and 10 outside school, personally I dont think this is a particularly fantastic idea. Its already been suggested that the reason some motorists speed is because they are in a hurry, so what do you think will happen if you reduce the limit by 10mph? I'd say you will get a great many morons who are further "delayed" and will speed everywhere to catch up!

As I have said in a previous thread, speed is not the killer, it's inappropriate speed. Obviousley anything in excess of 20mph is not appropriate where there are kids around, but if people are going to drive at 30 in these areas, what difference will adjusting the limit make? The law abiding motorists will drive slower, but the idiots will still drive at 30. The answer is to enforce the 20mph limit, not reduce it further.

If it is reduced to 20 and 10 mph respectivley, how long before someone starts to suggest it should be 10 everywhere and 5 outside schools? It will happen! Soon enough we will all be walking. Lets see some police or speed cameras deployed outside the schools, in areas where there is a genuine risk of a large number of people being injured of killed by a speeding motorist, instead of hiding in laybys and behinds trees with speed guns on long, straight stretches of road in the hope of catching some poor who has accidentally strayed over the limit by 5 mph in a 60 of 70 so they can get another 60 quid in Gordon Browns pocket.

highland red
05-Feb-10, 19:25
There is really no excuse for deliberate poor driving: we all know that driving near schools has restrictions in law. But people still flaunt these laws and I am particularly fed up with boy/girl racers flaunting the law on the road out of Thurso. It would appear that there are some seriously pathetic individuals that "cruise" with noisy/ pathetic "cloned" cars up/down/up down, using the bus turning area to try to impress the girls/boys when they come out of their respective places of education, (which is why the restrictions are there at these times).

I think it's amazing that I find tyres and fuel are quite prohibitive at todays prices but these individuals appear to have the budget to match their extravagance.

Do the parents/guardians of these people realise, or care what these incredibly immature individuals do, on a day - to day basis: or are they willing to let their voices be shared with the rest of us in their terrible moments of grief via the local press/ news, when either THEY or OTHERS are killed or injured during these reckless pusuits?

Common sense is at a real premium these days.

P.S. It might be worth for the word OTHERS to be reseached.

feel better now.[disgust]

Boozeburglar
05-Feb-10, 19:56
http://ukpmc.ac.uk/articlerender.cgi?artid=431911

I don't hear any convincing argument against reducing limits.

bluechesse
06-Feb-10, 00:00
http://ukpmc.ac.uk/articlerender.cgi?artid=431911

I don't hear any convincing argument against reducing limits.

I cant hear one for reducing the limits. Much of what is talked about here is already in place. The local authorities can and do apply a reduced limit in urban areas where appropriate, thats why we have the 20 mph limits outside schools and in densely populated urban areas (large housing estates in towns etc.) now.

In my humble opinion, a blanket reduction in speed limit is not the answer, as it will not address the specific road safety problem, in this case excessive and inappropriate speed outside a school. Currently, local authorities can and do reduce the limit from 30 mph to 20 mph outside these problem areas. What we now need is for them and the police to enforce this limit properly, and for offenders to be appropriately delt with by he courts.
If this does not happen, you can drop it to 2 mph if you like, it will make no difference, as the 70% of drivers refered to in the article above who currently ignore the speed limit will simply continue to do so.

Blarney
06-Feb-10, 01:15
An excellent point made by Northerner regarding kids with total disregard to traffic. While Im not denying that some idiotic motorists do drive through the 20 mph limits at speeds exceeding the limit, it's not always the motorists who are at fault. Drive anywhere in the vacinity of Wick High at half past 3 and it's a challange NOT to run one of them over, regardelss of speed! It's like one of the challanges on the Krypton Factor! Most dont even bother to look before they wander out in the road, and a great many of those who do just walk out anyway and expect the oncoming car to slam its breaks on and come to a total hault just because they cant be bothered to wait. Drivers in a hurry? Not as much of a hurry as some of the pupils!

I have witnessed people driving through Watten at excessive speed, regardless of whether the 20 mph lights are flashing or not. Personally, I always drive at 20 past a school during the day, regardless of whether its flashing. But I would have to say that, in my experience, the behavour of most divers past the Hillheaq school is very good. Not sure if thats just due to the location or what.

As for booze burgars idea of dropping the speed limit to 20 in the town, and 10 outside school, personally I dont think this is a particularly fantastic idea. Its already been suggested that the reason some motorists speed is because they are in a hurry, so what do you think will happen if you reduce the limit by 10mph? I'd say you will get a great many morons who are further "delayed" and will speed everywhere to catch up!

As I have said in a previous thread, speed is not the killer, it's inappropriate speed. Obviousley anything in excess of 20mph is not appropriate where there are kids around, but if people are going to drive at 30 in these areas, what difference will adjusting the limit make? The law abiding motorists will drive slower, but the idiots will still drive at 30. The answer is to enforce the 20mph limit, not reduce it further.

If it is reduced to 20 and 10 mph respectivley, how long before someone starts to suggest it should be 10 everywhere and 5 outside schools? It will happen! Soon enough we will all be walking. Lets see some police or speed cameras deployed outside the schools, in areas where there is a genuine risk of a large number of people being injured of killed by a speeding motorist, instead of hiding in laybys and behinds trees with speed guns on long, straight stretches of road in the hope of catching some poor who has accidentally strayed over the limit by 5 mph in a 60 of 70 so they can get another 60 quid in Gordon Browns pocket.
Whilst I agree with you about the blatant disregard for their own safety displayed by High School pupils, I think that the point Turquoise made originally was that there was excessive speed at primary schools where the pupils are in greater danger because of their relative lack of road sense.