PDA

View Full Version : electricity bills

zarapopet
04-Feb-10, 19:40
[evil] has anyone noticed a massive increase in there electricity bill mine has gone from £120 to £627 surely thats a bit much . does anyone else have this or noticed this jump

candy
04-Feb-10, 19:49
according to our meter we have used £425 in eight weeks :eek: (we are mostly gas, phoned supplier who cut it in half:confused

chaz
04-Feb-10, 19:50
[evil] has anyone noticed a massive increase in there electricity bill mine has gone from £120 to £627 surely thats a bit much . does anyone else have this or noticed this jump

That must be an error, im dreading mine now:(

EDDIE
04-Feb-10, 19:56

Do u have gas or are u all electric
.I have gas for the heating so the electric is always a constant £30 month
and my gas is about £60 a month throughout the whole year

poppett
04-Feb-10, 20:08
Is the actual reading correct? Had a similar problem when meter reader transposed the two readings and the bill was huge. When I phoned with correct numbers the clerk told me, they knew there was something wrong, but relied on the customer to correct them. What an attitude, and what about old folk who would just have paid up and turned the heating down to economise and ended up with hypothermia.

zarapopet
04-Feb-10, 20:50
:~( no i have a enclosed fire so its not for the heating. have phoned but they recon its right i have never ever had a bill over 120 beginning to worry how going to pay it,

ShelleyCowie
04-Feb-10, 21:07
Wow that is.....well thats mega expensive!! Surely nobody can use that much electricity in that amount of time!

I have gas central heating and its £36 per month, electricity is £10 per week. Put in a bit more in the winter for having to tumble dry sheets. But that only takes it to £15 per week!

Surely yours is wrong? :confused I hope its wrong!!! :eek:

dx100uk
04-Feb-10, 21:14
well if you dont use leccy for heating then something is amiss.
have the two meter readings on the bill got E or A by them.

they've not backdated a price increase have they?
they can be very crafty that way.

PM if you wish.

dx

Phill
04-Feb-10, 21:36
I'd definitely be checking the readings and figures on the bill. Give them a ring, they should be able to explain it to you, lets hope it's just a crazy estimated reading.

I'm guessing this is a quarterly bill, worth considering changing to the monthly payments. You generally pay the same each month, overpay in summer and this gets used during the winter. It can help for budgeting and prevent nasty surprises like this.

horseman
04-Feb-10, 21:42
Dont' even dream of paying it poppet! Obviously way ott!
Much harder for them to get you to fork out, than you to get your dosh back from them!

Ricco
04-Feb-10, 21:52
Not yet... dreading its arrival. :(

zarapopet
04-Feb-10, 22:01
aye but wontthey just cut me off . i can see the point if the house a mantion but it a council houise eck .

bekisman
04-Feb-10, 22:20
Mine used to be way over what I expected, but then they don't do that many meter checks these days, and if you're away it's all 'estimated' - I'm with http://www.hydro.co.uk/ (http://www.hydro.co.uk/MyAccount/Profile/) so went on line and registered, every now and then I log on and put in a reading, get correct bills now...

dx100uk
04-Feb-10, 23:34
aye but wontthey just cut me off . i can see the point if the house a mantion but it a council houise eck .

well they wont do that, its a long way down the line from there yet.

now when was the last time they got a real reading? by you or by them coming to read the meter?

as a side note: if they have been billing you wrongly, lets say at the wrong rate , then they can only backdate 12mts, same on bills, if they have not read the meter atleast once in 24mts, or have not billed you for 12mts, then its only 12mts back they can claim from you...gen inf for anyone reading. same goes for gas too.

dx

EDDIE
04-Feb-10, 23:48

your bill has went x5 there must be something wrong you will have to go through your bills and work out how much units you are using.
Dare i say it but there is only one thing that would make a bill go x5 if you or someone in ure house was growing whacky backy and you have to watch because sometimes energy companys report excessive changes in bills to the police for that reason.
For it to go times 5 the dial in your meter box must be going at some speed? if it is there is something wrong.

fcalder577
05-Feb-10, 00:17
Hope no one has tapped into your supply,i have heard of it being done,x

shaz77
05-Feb-10, 00:34
i have noticed a big increase in my my bills!!! my supplier is scottish gas!!! and hve always been in credit!!! with both till recently my electricity is double amount a month frm £60 to £130 a month but gas has not changed and i use more gas!!! but my electricity is so over the top!!! for always been in credit over the years to been paying more!!! :confused

Fran
05-Feb-10, 00:53
It looks like they could be estimated bills. Read your meters and phone your suppliers with the proper readings and you should get new bills.
I have a 3 bed house, gas central heating radiators, gas fire, cooker and water, and i use a halogen heater in the kitchen a lot of the time. Both my gas and electric bills are never over £100 each per quarter.
But.....the phone bill, now thats another story, it goes up and up.

Boozeburglar
05-Feb-10, 01:44
Pay what you would normally pay while you are getting it sorted out.

Explain why you are only paying part of it.

Even if you owe it as they previously understimated your bill, it is their responsibilty to a large extent.

They should have at least asked you to give them an actual reading.

:)

EDDIE
05-Feb-10, 08:34
Pay what you would normally pay while you are getting it sorted out.

Explain why you are only paying part of it.

Even if you owe it as they previously understimated your bill, it is their responsibilty to a large extent.

They should have at least asked you to give them an actual reading.

:)

good point if u change your bills to a monthly direct debit it should all sort itself out over the summer when your not using so much electricity there is a lot t be said about getting meters fitted that tell you how much you have to pay rather than getting a meter that tells you in units and there is a long and winded formula to convert in to how much u have to pay

zarapopet
05-Feb-10, 09:28
this isnt an estimate someone read the meter .the only thing i can think of is they changed the tariff when they swopped from a card meter to one you pay direct debit from am thinking of getting card meter back in.

lorr_mun14
05-Feb-10, 10:00
I noticed a massive increase in my bill too, I normally only pay £40/month DD, I got a bill in for £218 on top of the £40/month!!! Don't know what's going on, I never thought about it until I read this thread!

Phill
05-Feb-10, 11:10
this isnt an estimate someone read the meter .the only thing i can think of is they changed the tariff when they swopped from a card meter to one you pay direct debit from am thinking of getting card meter back in.

Get onto the leccy co and get the readings checked and rechecked. Card meters are normally far more expensive.

Did they change the meter? Sometimes the new meters are not at 00000 so the readings are wrong from day one, get this checked out also.

Start taking daily readings, from this you can work out roughly what your bill should be.

Just make sure you speak to them about it, don't ignore it, it'll get worse.

poppett
05-Feb-10, 11:47
Meter readers get it wrong sometimes too, especially if meter is in an awkward place.

Some years ago it took electricity company 18 months to send out a proper bill, and when they did I was granted 18 months to pay it as it was their fault. The problem was no-one knew who owned the meter. I just kept a monthly note of the readings and kept phoning them in. In that same property when we were going away for six weeks and turned off the electricity at the mains the other residents couldn`t understand why there were no lights on the landing.!! Guess who had the wiring to their meter? We got compo from the council for that one, but it took over a year.

As long as you keep in contact with the company they can not cut you off if you are willing to make reasonable payments.

wkgeorge
05-Feb-10, 13:50
We have a monitor which was given to us for a xmas present and its great, it registers the electricy used on a daily basis and it is easy to watch what is using lots of power, for example, I have found out that the shower is pretty hard on electric.

cuddlepop
05-Feb-10, 13:53
We have a monitor which was given to us for a xmas present and its great, it registers the electricy used on a daily basis and it is easy to watch what is using lots of power, for example, I have found out that the shower is pretty hard on electric.

We're still waiting for ours to be delivered from Hydro as a freebee.

Our rough estimate is 50p a shower but thats with the usual culprits on and not exclusive but times that by 3 for 7 days and its expensive to keep clean.:roll:

Computer quiet hard on it too.:(

dx100uk
06-Feb-10, 01:16
Computer quiet hard on it too.:(

hope not! most pc's use <300w.

dx

dx100uk
06-Feb-10, 01:21

it is rather p'haps not the place to go into further details here , as there are better experts elsewhere, inc those from the eleccy co's on
http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/utilities-gas-electricity-water/

you will get direct help and answers
just create yourself a user name etc as you did with this forum & post your problems.

on the face of it something smells , as has already been pointed out with the change of meters etc.

a VERY common problem

i'm sure nottslad and the guys will help you get it sorted.

regards

dx

zarapopet
06-Feb-10, 10:16
:~(:~( thanks everyone i am taking daily readings and phoning again on monday. i always have had credit notes from the previous house i lived in i have only been here 5 months and there no way i usede that amount of electricity beginning to think it wasnt worth moving as thought id be better off but with this bill definately not [evil]

cuddlepop
06-Feb-10, 10:39
hope not! most pc's use <300w.

dx

Well when we're away we took a reading before and after.
Tele,shower,washing machine and computer were only things not really used.We done a rough estimate and found the computer when in use was "hard" on it.:(

brandy
06-Feb-10, 10:44
i recived a gas bill for over 800 pounds nearly fell over when we got it.. but had hubby check the meter call them and poof back down to a normal price! it was way over estimated!!

Boozeburglar
06-Feb-10, 13:02
If they bother you about your outstanding bill, tell them to give you a couple of years more and then you can make it truly outstanding!

Fluff
06-Feb-10, 13:28
I was very shock last month with our bill. We pay DD each month and got the usual estimated quarterly bill. Put the reading in, new bill pops through the door a couple of weeks later, we have been overpaying!
getting £150 back and out monthly payment is going from £77 pm to £37 pm -well pleased! (all electric too)

joxville
06-Feb-10, 15:17
i recived a gas bill for over 800 pounds nearly fell over when we got it.. but had hubby check the meter call them and poof back down to a normal price! it was way over estimated!!

That's excellent. I'll pretend I'm gay and get my bill lowered too. [lol]

Boozeburglar
06-Feb-10, 15:21
.................................................. ..................pretend?

Bazeye
06-Feb-10, 19:59
Ive got a sister who works for the leccy board, do you want a meter?

Julia
06-Feb-10, 20:32
My heating (not central) is all electric and I'm about £100 per month for 3 storage heaters and all the usual household appliances including a tumble dryer. The down side is my house if freezing in every room but the living room and kitchen, I have panel heaters upstairs but refuse to use them as they are so expensive.

brandy
06-Feb-10, 21:49
so dense!! took me a min to get that!! *laughs* thats so the american in me!!

froal
06-Feb-10, 22:05
I've noticed it for a whiley now, iam all electric i was informed it would go up but could believe by how much specially when those around me with Bigger houses and are at home all day have a lower bills......!!
mine payed by Direct dept monthly from £131 to £230 quite a diffrence....!!![disgust] i have a 2 bedroom house :( i've 4 storage heaters going to open up the fire place and put a log burnering stove in so don't need to use all the heaters.....!! plus the hydro were out and changed my metre and the timer was set properly this time so hopefully i might see a change by time maybe Lower we'll have to wait and see.....!!

Vistravi
06-Feb-10, 22:55
But.....the phone bill, now thats another story, it goes up and up.

Ah the beauty of free evening and weekend calls. As long as we don't phone mobiles all our calls are free. My mum's on the other hand is a different story ;) Properly something to do with the fact she's a chatterbox :lol:

LMS
07-Feb-10, 10:30
Regular readings phoned/emailed into them is the best way to keep surprises away.

Also, go onto Hydro website and check out their tariffs. There are heaps and they are all different. Low usage - maybe go for no standing charge but higher unit price. High usage - maybe go for standing charge and lower unit prices. Then you have to decide on quarterly billing or monthly DD (cheapest). Then there are various options such as internet or paper billing. There are a fair few to check out but a little investigation may make a big price difference. If you phone them, they will do a price comparison on various tariffs and help you make a decision.

Depending on your financial circumstances, they have a social tariff for those who put out more than 10% of their free income (income less rent) on heating and electricity. This more or less halves the cost per unit.