PDA

View Full Version : Ths parents

unicorn
04-Feb-10, 12:14
are you aware our kids are standing in miller academy field in the freezing cold and have been since 10.30 due to an emergency evacuation.

Scarybiscuits03
04-Feb-10, 12:16
I've heard it is something to do with a gas leak - if so you'd think they'd send them home!

unicorn
04-Feb-10, 12:18
Why on earth would they leave children out in freezing coinditions of course they should send them home.

kriklah
04-Feb-10, 12:19
yep, spotted them all heading down the back road from high school to miller as i headed to vets. wondered why, then saw bright yellow coats up at the school. word is gas leak, whether real or suspected i dont know. but i thought, Oh great theyll be home early again!!![disgust]

Lavenderblue2
04-Feb-10, 12:20
Yes, my granddaughter phoned me more than an hour ago to say she was okay but THS had been evacuated due to a gas leak and she was standing in the grounds of Miller!!
Before that, they were in the playing fields at THS, I really think home would have been the better option, lets face it, they send them home for the least flurry of snow. :confused

manloveswife
04-Feb-10, 12:28
Just rang Miller who confirm they are all there due to evacuation due to a suspected gas leak. I know the car park / bus park had a good few emergency vehicles in it half an hour ago when we passed.
Apparently they are waiting to hear from the powers that be what is to happen.

rs 2k
04-Feb-10, 12:32
Thanx for letting us know unicorn

I have just phoned my sister and told her and she has phoned her daughters and told them to come home, which i think is quite right making them stand out in that freezing weather

unicorn
04-Feb-10, 12:37
I just phoned my daughter who thought they were now going back to school as people were leaving but she has not been actually told anything.

tartanyorkie
04-Feb-10, 13:05
Has anyone rang THS? I am just going to do that but thought I would see if anyone else had before I sounded neurotic, ringing again.

unicorn
04-Feb-10, 13:07
my daughter txtd to say they are back in school but no idea whats going on. ok groupcall txt this second all town pupils to go home country pupils will get something to eat in canteen then their buses home.

tartanyorkie
04-Feb-10, 13:09
Thank you. My mobile does not work until I get into the next street so I do not get the groupcall.

unicorn
04-Feb-10, 13:11
No explanation as to whats happened though so there will be a few surprised parents wondering whats going on.

tartanyorkie
04-Feb-10, 13:18
My son has just rung to tell me they are coming home and have been standing outside for two hours! Not very happy as he was partway through his Spanish prelim.

Cattach
04-Feb-10, 13:53
Why on earth would they leave children out in freezing coinditions of course they should send them home.

Sure they will do but if they get sent home before arrangements made and there is an accident then thye will be criticed for that!! The school cannot win.

tartanyorkie
04-Feb-10, 14:06
Why would police attend for a gas leak?

mama2
04-Feb-10, 14:11
I agree Cattach, I would think they have to make sure all parents are informed before they are sent home and I would imagine that would take a fair while!

I'm sure police attend all emergency situations and possibly they might have to check if it was deliberate.

newpark
04-Feb-10, 14:14
Gas leak at my work yestarday and there were fire, police and ambulance attending.

tartanyorkie
04-Feb-10, 14:17
Just curious when my son said he had seen police officers. I expected the gas board and fire service would be there but did not think the police would be.

slinky
04-Feb-10, 14:47
Just curious when my son said he had seen police officers. I expected the gas board and fire service would be there but did not think the police would be.
if an explosion happened and people were stuck ud be saying why didnt the police help when theres at many people in a suspected gas leak obviousley to keep people out make sure everyone has gone etc etc

ShelleyCowie
04-Feb-10, 14:57

Unfortunately the control teams that deal with these kind of gas leaks are in Inverness, so police would have to attend to keep the area clear and as safe as possible until the trained necessary people arrived.

Blast!
04-Feb-10, 15:00

why wouldn't the police attend?

bamboo
04-Feb-10, 15:48
Thank goodness it was noticed quickly and that the kids and staff were/are safe. They might have been a tad cold, but imho the school acted quickly - and were waiting for the 'all clear' from the authorities.

Venture
04-Feb-10, 16:17
I'm sure I heard on Radio Scotland that it was a tanker that was leaking and that another one was being sent from Grangemouth to transfer over the remaining contents today. Perhaps this was the reason for today's evacuation.

dragonfly
04-Feb-10, 16:23
I'm sure I heard on Radio Scotland that it was a tanker that was leaking and that another one was being sent from Grangemouth to transfer over the remaining contents today. Perhaps this was the reason for today's evacuation.

that was yesterday down at the Battery Factory and it was extended to the call centre too, today's incident is separate to that

Venture
04-Feb-10, 16:26
Thanks dragonfly. What a lot of disruption for pupils, particularly those doing prelims.

Caithness Lass
04-Feb-10, 18:03
The school was following its normal procedures in the case of an emergency. Phase 3 is to go down to Miller. Its just unfortunate that there was snow outside.

Bit of a pain that it was during all the Higher Maths Prelims

Phill
04-Feb-10, 18:53
Why so many gas leaks?
Is it a conspiracy?

Ricco
04-Feb-10, 21:56
Was the same in my day. It could be tanking down with rain and we still had to run round the pitch. Still turned into a healthy strapping lad, though. ;)

Penelope Pitstop
04-Feb-10, 22:28
My daughter was frozen to the bone when she got home. Blue and purple feet! Stuck outside with no coat on for a few hours. :~(

unicorn
04-Feb-10, 23:08
At least the kids doing PE got clothes. I had not even thought of those poor kids. I guess it was just unfortunate weather but my daughter did ask why they didn't get to wait in Millers gym. I assume it would be insurance.

Caithness Lass
04-Feb-10, 23:32
The Miller gym is tiny. It can barely fit the whole of the primary school in it and that is about 300 people. Around 900 kids (who are a lot bigger) trying to fit in there would just be impossible.

Connor.
05-Feb-10, 00:14
At the end of the day, would you rather them sit about in the classrooms if there was a gas leak?

They took precautionary measures to ensure the safety of the children, surely they would be wearing appropriate clothing to school anyways, especially with this weather. To my knowledge i'm pretty sure there is no ban on scarves in THS, so therefore you'd think they'd be able to grab something before going out.

I don't see the point in complaining, if the school had to make a decision concerning your kids safety and then having a go. Not everything can fall into place so if they were cold, that's unfortunate, however, due to the circumstances I think they did a good job.

Well done THS.

DOLLY30
05-Feb-10, 00:29
Is the school going to be back open tomorrow? Not heard anything.

Metalattakk
05-Feb-10, 00:29
My daughter was frozen to the bone when she got home. Blue and purple feet! Stuck outside with no coat on for a few hours. :~(

Why on earth wouldn't she have a coat on?

Turquoise
05-Feb-10, 00:30
Well said Connor!

LMS
05-Feb-10, 00:43

Buy her a coat then!:lol:

Boozeburglar
05-Feb-10, 03:12
I am sure it was character building.

Something today's bairns need, if ye ask me.

:)

DOLLY30
05-Feb-10, 09:18
We are assuming the school is back open today? My son just about to leave but nothing to say if it open or not. Taking it as no update means open? :roll:

Penelope Pitstop
05-Feb-10, 10:58
Why on earth wouldn't she have a coat on?

I asked that too. She was in the middle of Maths prelim exam. Coat was burried under a pile of other coats - she didn't get a chance to go for it - had to get out.