it wont take the charge at all
(its a dell insperation 910)
looking for someone whos good with computers ect
to have a look at it
asap pm if you can help
thankyou

Phill
03-Feb-10, 21:27
I guess it'll be the power connector on the back, try giving it a waggle, gently though and wait to see if the charging light comes on.

Boozeburglar
03-Feb-10, 21:48
Is it working without the battery in?

George Brims
03-Feb-10, 21:52
How old is it? If it is a few years old the battery may well have died. If you can run it from the charger, TAKE OUT THE BATTERY in case it decides to set itself on fire. You should be able to buy a new one online.

_Ju_
03-Feb-10, 22:36
Your battery probably died. My computer warned me when mine was on the way out.
I was told by my brother in law not to have the battery in whilst working with it plugged in. So I remove the battery except when charging and only use the battery when plugging in is not convenient.

Boozeburglar
03-Feb-10, 23:29
Hey Ju, generally speaking it is cool to leave it in all the time.

It is your ups in case the lead gets pulled out apart from anything else..

I generally find I need a new battery slightly before I need a new laptop, but they are not so expensive. (£20-40 generally.)

That is if it is the battery. If you don't feel confident to check the terminals, etc. get someone who does feel that way to do it. I mean a friend, although I doubt a local PC repair person will stiff you for checking your battery.

Good excuse to meet a fellow orger, I am sure there are plenty who would not feel it an encumberance to have a look at it for you.

:)

Happy Guy
03-Feb-10, 23:35
I had the same problem, and PC World identified the problem as NOT with the battery, but with the charging circuit within the laptop, so you might want to check fully before spending money on a new battery, in case its not the problem!

henleys10
04-Feb-10, 07:26
i think its the bit where u plug the charget into the laptop
not to sur though
does any1 know anyone that could have a look at it & see could maybe fix it?
no to sure of anywhere in wick that does this?

henleys10
04-Feb-10, 15:30
I had the same problem, and PC World identified the problem as NOT with the battery, but with the charging circuit within the laptop, so you might want to check fully before spending money on a new battery, in case its not the problem!
thanks for that i thought it might be the circuit noticed the bit in it wobbley a few weeks ago but never thought nothing of it

sandyr1
04-Feb-10, 16:19
FYI....Check on the Dell Website as they had a lot of bad batteries and there are all sorts of recalls. I had one that was replaced......

dx100uk
04-Feb-10, 21:10
thanks for that i thought it might be the circuit noticed the bit in it wobbley a few weeks ago but never thought nothing of it

the bit in what?

describe yourself

dx

henleys10
04-Feb-10, 22:24
the bit in what?

describe yourself

dx
theres like a metal thing that pokes out for the bit where u put the charger in the laptop

Phill
04-Feb-10, 23:02
theres like a metal thing that pokes out for the bit where u put the charger in the laptop

Yup, deffo sounds like the centre pin of the power connector has failed. Quite common.

The parts are cheap enough, couple of quid off ebay, but you'll pretty much have to strip the lappy down to get to it. And you need to be steady with your soldering iron.

Bitch of a job.

dx100uk
04-Feb-10, 23:55
yep agreed
if the lappy is less than 12mts old then dell will do it FOC.
even if outside pf 12mts, it should still be fixed under SOGA.

was it a direct purchase from dell?
if not, you should really go via your point of sale to invoke SOGA.

p.s though, simple job if you can solder, just a pig to get at though guides are on the net.

dx

henleys10
05-Feb-10, 12:26
i got it with my vodafone mobile brodband contract so ill get in touch with them
thanks for your help everyone:)

dx100uk
06-Feb-10, 01:12
i got it with my vodafone mobile brodband contract so ill get in touch with them
thanks for your help everyone:)

ok well def vodafones problem & it is so until the contract ends, works like hire purchase scheme.

technically its still theirs till you conclude the contract, if they refuse to repair, you quite within your contract rights to refuse further payment, as they would have thus broken their T&C.

dx

emb123
07-Feb-10, 02:35
just for information, the power connection to a laptop is probably the most common part to fail with all laptops. (Excuding dropping it and breaking the screen or spilling beer/coffee/vodka delta on it)

Either the connector itself on the back of the laptop breaks or the solder joint holding that connector to the motherboard breaks. The plug connector at the end of the power lead and leads themselves quite often break as well. Regular tripping up on the cable is probably the main culprit!

If the laptop works when it is connected to the mains then the failure is either the battery itself or a switch a relay or a diode. If you connect the mains adaptor and wiggle the connector or lead about and it switches betwen charging/not charging/charging/not charging etc then it's a much simpler fix.

If it's under warranty then it's a definite no-brainer :) Hope they get it fixed for you quickly :)

dx100uk
07-Feb-10, 02:47
it matters NOT if it is under warranty or NOT.

this is a XX mts CONTRACT , if the item goes wrong during that time, the goods still belong to the Co. that issued the contract, and they are not useable and must be repaired or replaced under the terms of that contract. else they have broken the contract.

dx

Joboco
23-Sep-10, 20:08
Give it back:lol::lol::lol: