PDA

View Full Version : Kids and there exams

zebedy
06-May-06, 21:49
Exams...

I find them such a stress..

I have revised slightly but not as much as I should be... I cant do anything without it being inturupted by Music lol sad maby... But thats me!

Wat like are all ure exams like all you folk who are older than me... me being 16!

Zebedy!

rfr10
06-May-06, 21:53
Which exams is it you are doing just now? Is it your standard grades or what?

JAWS
06-May-06, 22:45
Exams...

I have revised slightly but not as much as I should be... I cant do anything without it being inturupted by Music lol sad maby... But thats me!

Wat like are all ure exams like all you folk who are older than me... me being 16!

Zebedy!
Sounds just about right! Not only that, but I remember it well.
You should have asked 12 months ago at which time I would have kicked your rear end. You are not unusual and you are not alone and if you are lucky you will do better than you think.

For anybody who has yet to get to this position the best advice I can give, and I am sure most will agree, is that for the 12 to 18 months before your exams at the end of school you get your head down and you study.
Yes, I know there are more exciting things to do because I did them and never achieved my potential.
Eighteen months of hard work is not a lot when compared to the rest of your life.

The thing for you all to remember is that exams are set by people with a viscious and sadistic nature. The best thing you can do is to study hard and to totally ruin their enjoyment.

Never let your torturers win!

Good Luck to all of you and I'm glad it's not me. :lol:

zebedy
06-May-06, 23:48
yeah my standerd Grades..

them months.. Oh well already ruined my chances... in the middle of them already

Maths - Done... Struggled
English - I enjoy english
French - French isnt my strong point but i enjoy it.. lol
MUSIC - My strong point...
Art - Love art... Essays are easy... I'm good with a camera
Craft - Love the hands on not written
Chem - Nails... ttl hard !... No chance
History - The histoty way of things is in a another language!... its wierd

Chobbersjnr
07-May-06, 00:59
I slept through the whole thing & woke up with 5 Sgrade passes & immediately left for a life in the harrowing world of music...................oh the pain I bring on when I think of the Mcdonalds jobs I could've had if I'd studied

maybe I could've been a binman

or a safari park warden looking after the unspoken beasts of the org.......................

canuck
07-May-06, 02:17
Exams...

Zebedy!

We all hated exams!

I suspect that once the org regulars read your thread they will all want to post some story from their own deep pit of the universal teenage nightmare:exams. And that will be wonderful because it will give you an excuse to break from studying every fifteen minutes to see what new posts have arrived. As a little insight for you, marking those exams isn't much better than taking them. So, I also suspect that the org teachers in our midst will be looking for a good excuse to take a break and be checking as frequently as you are.

Org posters, let's have your worst (or best) exam stories. :lol:

The air of Caithness is great for studying. Two years ago I had my daughter with me the week before she was to write her final year high school exams here in Ontario. The school was horrified that I had taken her out for that week, but her marks went up a few percentage points as a result of those long Caithness evenings with nothing to do but study.

Good luck with the exams all you guys and gals. Sorry Chobbersjnr, I have got to agree with JAWS, all the work is worth it. An age thing I guess.

Tugmistress
07-May-06, 06:41
I guess I was one of the lucky ones, but i still hated my exams.
I figured that if i had been working towards them for the last few years, if i didn't know it then, then i never would so i didn't revise much except during the day on my study leave for maybe an hour each day.
it worked for me, i passed all my exams, maths, english language, physics, geography, metalwork, accounts and english literature, but not spanish and that was because i could talk with tonsilitis for my oral lol.
the only advice i would give is do what feels right for you. you know how confident you are in each subject and what you need to brush up on.

good luck, you can only do your best :)

_Ju_
07-May-06, 08:54
A bit different from here, I guess, but in Portugal, when I did exams, you only had to do them if you wanted to get into uni, and they counted 70% of your grade ( they apparently had no faith in teachers grading systems). I locked myself at home and school for 9 months (September to June)and had to do major in chemistry,physics, math and biology and another minor in math ( I know, the logic.....two uni's with different requirements). It's all different now ( we also have problems with the educational system back home).... they have started having exams every so many years, like here.

You just have to set your objective and work for it. If you want it badly enough, you will get the results you want. If you think exams are stressful, working and paying bills are going to be very difficult to deal with.

zebedy
07-May-06, 10:54
You see... Thats the wierd bit... I cant WAIT to get out of School and move away and have to work to benifit my self. I like the fact how I'm growing up and after 5th year i'm leaving to Perth. I'm hoping to get into Perth Music College to do a Session Drumming Cource or Sound Engineering. But i will prob end up her workin in the trade after I complete the cource....

I'm not intirly sure what I want to do with my life... But when some one asks... Zeb Wat do u wanna do when ure older... The only thing that comes to mind is me sitting behind skins with sum Vic Firth 7a Sticks. lol Drumming in other words folks if u didnt get it.

Maby I'm being a really stupid little boy sitting dreaming to much... But i do know that I will be doing music one way or another if its not for a livving or if its just for fun. It will always be with me, and i love it....

Music might how we say be my demon. 5 years ago i picked up a set of sticks and my life hasnt been the same again. I used to do karate with The Shotokan group.. Was there since i was 5 years old. I played for Thurso Youth Club football team since i was like 10.. Then moved til e Swifters for a few weeks. I played rugby when i was wee too for the mini caithness team. Did Athelitics since i was 8 and slowly feel outa love from all them for my music?

AM i sad or just hooked..??

I'd say hooked... ( well duh, no human bein calls themself Sad lol )

Chobbersjnr
07-May-06, 14:24
Sorry Chobbersjnr, I have got to agree with JAWS, all the work is worth it. An age thing I guess.

ahem, I agree with you on that canuck. However that is how my exam time went at the time & I've never looked back from my life of extreme musical indulgance

I have said a few times that secondary education should be put off untill 21, because up untill then I didn't want to be sitting in school & the number of people I know that say "if I could do it all again". I reckon it would be a different story now though. I wonder how well I would've done if I'd studied

so yeah I think it is an age thing, when one's heid is full of music, football, girls, the bell at 3:30 education is the last thing on the mind.

canuck
07-May-06, 14:25
Maby I'm being a really stupid little boy sitting dreaming to much... But i do know that I will be doing music one way or another if its not for a livving or if its just for fun. It will always be with me, and i love it....

I'd say hooked... )

I'd say right now you are just avoiding the books. You see, I recognize the tactic because I perfected it in my time.

It sounds like you have explored many options, have come to love music and have decided to explore it as a career. It seems to be a good way to approach things. Go for it.

Chobbersjnr
07-May-06, 14:29
I'm not intirly sure what I want to do with my life... But when some one asks... Zeb Wat do u wanna do when ure older... The only thing that comes to mind is me sitting behind skins with sum Vic Firth 7a Sticks. lol Drumming in other words folks if u didnt get it.

Music might how we say be my demon. 5 years ago i picked up a set of sticks and my life hasnt been the same again. I used to do karate with The Shotokan group.. Was there since i was 5 years old. I played for Thurso Youth Club football team since i was like 10.. Then moved til e Swifters for a few weeks. I played rugby when i was wee too for the mini caithness team. Did Athelitics since i was 8 and slowly feel outa love from all them for my music?

I'd say hooked... ( well duh, no human bein calls themself Sad lol )

sounds like my life story, if that's what your head tells you then go for it

I have never held or am likely to hold a nine to five job because I sacrificed everything to the music (from an early age I might add)

so if you're hooked then so am I

see you in rehab:Razz

zebedy
07-May-06, 14:47
sounds like my life story, if that's what your head tells you then go for it

I have never held or am likely to hold a nine to five job because I sacrificed everything to the music (from an early age I might add)

so if you're hooked then so am I

see you in rehab:Razz

Yeah lol

But i begin to doubt if its possible .. I look up for session drummers.. and it says... Its like you only get into the job through chance... Which is slim...

I so want to do it.. But doubt the fact of it happening.. Maby i should stop dreaming???

_Ju_
07-May-06, 15:16
Always have a plan B. You love music. Go for it. But that doesn't mean you cannot learn other things as well in the mean time and that would keep you untill you get where you want. Your education is the one thing you won't have to pack to take away with you.

zebedy
07-May-06, 15:32
Always have a plan B. You love music. Go for it. But that doesn't mean you cannot learn other things as well in the mean time and that would keep you untill you get where you want. Your education is the one thing you won't have to pack to take away with you.

I like the way you said that...

But what to have.... I dreamt of being a plumber one night after work when the sunk bluew up!, but meh i dunno...

So confused now!

lol

_Ju_
07-May-06, 16:22
If you are into working with your hands and creative ( as you obviously are because of the music), why not try carpentry?It's cleaner than plumbing, dry and well paid. Above all it's an artform.

weeboyagee
07-May-06, 19:35
Heh Zebedy!

Maths - Done... Struggled
English - I enjoy english
French - French isnt my strong point but i enjoy it.. lol
MUSIC - My strong point...
Art - Love art... Essays are easy... I'm good with a camera
Craft - Love the hands on not written
Chem - Nails... ttl hard !... No chance
History - The histoty way of things is in a another language!... its wierd

Maths wasn't my strong point - less so English - I hated it! Languages interested me but I didn't come through on that one so much until I finished school and landed up in college with German students - boy my German fairly advanced then!

Music - my life - since the age of 6! You lucky person having this as your strong point. It's a language and a form of communication all wrapped into one. You can express yourself, be yourself and loose yourself all at the same time playing music. I know a lot of people who studied at the Perth College doing doing the rock music course - and believe you me - that was nearly 20 years ago when the course first started! If that is what your dream is then follow it but I agree with _Ju_, have a back up plan because dreams don't always work. I dreamed of being involved in music as a career but took the first job offered me when I left college. I landed up in Business Management and have always had Music as my hobby - and a very satisfying one at that. I know HUNDREDS of people who have gone through the "choice" thing at your age and it's a difficult one! Not easy! :confused:

PM me if you want to talk about it Zebedy.

Exams - I hated them but believe you me, in this world the Standard grades and the Highers are only the minimum the world seems to accept these days - go on to University or College and make sure that the options your qualifications give you make you a valuable catch to an employer or give you multiple options in career. My tuppence worth folks - hope there is something there that will help. :)

Chobbersjnr
07-May-06, 19:58
Yeah lol

But i begin to doubt if its possible .. I look up for session drummers.. and it says... Its like you only get into the job through chance... Which is slim...

I so want to do it.. But doubt the fact of it happening.. Maby i should stop dreaming???

learn as much different stuff as you can style wise & check out the number of "drummer wanted" bulletins you see in city music shops

If you really want to do the session thing that's what to do & don't be picky about what to play either, you never know your fortune could be in a country band

A backup plan sounds good & all though..............I just went for music all the way & I am fortunate enough to keep working in the ol' musical rat race

zebedy
07-May-06, 22:07
I'm in a country band and ALl :eek:

Alamo!

Played at the Knashvill shinn dig!

Jeid
07-May-06, 22:20
You need to study English a bit more ;)

Kenn
08-May-06, 01:08
Exams are no great problem if you approach them from the right angle.
When told to turn over the paper, read all the questions before doing any thing, then go to those that you are sure that you know the answers to.This means you will not waste time on the questions that you are unsure of .
As regards revising, do whatever suits you, you may be the sort of person that has accumulated enough knowledge over the years and feel that cramming is an unecessary evil but for those that have a shorter memory or a photgraphic one then this may be the answer.
Whatever happens they are not the be all and end all, there is also the school of life that can teach us more than we will ever learn via a blackboard .
At the end of the day, each one of us is important and academic qualifications although looking good on a CV are not always best suited to each individual.
To those that have exams to sit in the next few weeks. good luck, good judgement and GO on surprise yourselves at what you have mastered.
I took my last ones a few years ago and I am old enough to be a grandparent to those that are sitting them now.
Life is a learning process and it can teach us more than was ever written between the pages of a book.

Chobbersjnr
08-May-06, 02:15
You need to study English a bit more ;)

you really are a nazi....who could've thought it JIED the kaitnessian nazi:Razz

zebedy
08-May-06, 11:17
well ive resolved to a bit of study now folks.. lol

just finished my chemistry exam a moment ago... and i found it quite easy to be honest... Came as a suprise to me...

Jeid a nazi of spelling mwhahaha

I'm revising craft at the moment in teh school librbay.. Well not really.. I'm writing this post... lol

Sitting with a mate the now going over craft work.. different joints for wood and all the terminology and stuff...

hee hee

L8rs
Zeb

Jeid
08-May-06, 11:33
What can I say... I blame the people who don't post.

JAWS
08-May-06, 21:07
Two pieces of advice which stuck in my mind (They remain very lonely because there is nothing else in there)

1. Make sure you understand the question - you get absolutely no marks for answering the wrong question.

2. Don't cram the night before the exam because those are the things which will stick in your mind and examiners are notorious for not asking the right questions.

One thing I will add to that.
Examiners are not paid to make sense of the illegible. If they can't make sense of it then it's wrong - NO MARKS

Chobbersjnr
08-May-06, 22:13
Two pieces of advice which stuck in my mind (They remain very lonely because there is nothing else in there)

LOL:Razz.............

nikki
08-May-06, 23:01
im at my exams just now too, and the only thing i like about it is the study leave. ive got a deal with my folks that 1 hr revision a day means im free at the weekends, which suits me fine. i dont think id revise at all if they didn't make me. then again they're just looking out for me. have already done tech studies, english, maths, and looking forward to french tomorrow, well nearly. then just got music, history, physics, biology.

good luck to zebedy, and any other .org posters who have exams just now.

nikki