PDA

View Full Version : old desolate petrol stations

Sage
02-Feb-10, 20:04
Hi guys,

Ok, do any of you know of any "very eerie old fashioned desolate petrol stations" ? One of the guys I speak to on another forum is after a location for a film he's working on.

I've told him about the old station at Brora but Im wondering if any of you Orgers know of any...there must be loads around.

talla
02-Feb-10, 20:25
think there is one in lairg?? not sure though but defo on the road to falls of shin.

Dog-eared
02-Feb-10, 20:27
Kinbrace used to have pumps. Dont know if theyre still there. Ask a railworker??

macbreeza
02-Feb-10, 20:30
i think there is one on the A9 between dunbeath and berriedale, might be called castlehill? don't think they are very old though.

hope this is a help!

Sage
02-Feb-10, 20:35
Thanks guys, I'll look into those for him.

Im not sure if he realises exactly where we are though :lol:

northener
02-Feb-10, 23:39
Heading North out of Brora on the A9 there is an old wooden garage on the right that still has an old pump outside.

I believe the plot has been sold for building, so your friend had better be quick..

Fran
03-Feb-10, 01:50
Isnt there one at the top of the hill, after first right at Reiss.

Nacho
03-Feb-10, 02:02
Caithness could become a hot spot for film makers wanting to get that desolate, abandoned, post apocalyptic shot .... are we missing a veritable goldmine here ?

they could have some shots of the Esso in Thurso with the £1.18 a litre backdrop ... the audience south of Inverness could gawp in disbelief !!

who needs speshull effects ? we've got the setting for Mad Max 5 ...

.... bandits touring the county stealing oil with mangy dogs for lookout ....

Stack Rock
03-Feb-10, 08:32
Isnt there one at the top of the hill, after first right at Reiss.

Theres one at Lochshell about a mile north of Wick on the A99 with a canopy and pumps still on site.

ClachanHope
03-Feb-10, 09:11
"very eerie old fashioned desolate petrol stations" ?

There are still old pumps at Kinbrace garage. Also there might still be some at Garbhault Hotel, out past Kinbrace and this is also supposed to be the most remote hotel in Britain......makes for spooky...[para]
Old filling stations at Helmsdale & Latheron

Sage
03-Feb-10, 10:18
Excellent! :D

Now Kinbrace would be good...it's a Zombie film too, that far out would make for very atmospheric settings!

northener
03-Feb-10, 10:46
Excellent! :D

Now Kinbrace would be good...it's a Zombie film too, that far out would make for very atmospheric settings!

Film it in Portgower and use locals as extras - they won't need any makeup or acting lessons.......

Sage
03-Feb-10, 11:36
heheh Very true Northerner...but I would fear for the crew's safety! :eek:

dont suppose any of you have any photo's or know where there are any of these petrol stations?

northener
03-Feb-10, 11:51
heheh Very true Northerner...but I would fear for the crew's safety! :eek:

dont suppose any of you have any photo's or know where there are any of these petrol stations?

it could be worth having trawl through the photo albums on here, lots of 'local' photies, you never know....

Aussiewicker
03-Feb-10, 13:56
Old petrol pumps, Brora:

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/6605/2775648188f3ab6ef5cco.jpg (http://img17.imageshack.us/i/2775648188f3ab6ef5cco.jpg/)

Turquoise
03-Feb-10, 13:58
Film it in Portgower and use locals as extras - they won't need any makeup or acting lessons.......

My thoughts entirely, Northerner!

Were there not some pumps at the old shop before Janetstown?

It was a wooden shack with pumps outside, if I remember correctly?

Fluff
03-Feb-10, 20:19
Turquoise, you are right. Just before Janetstown there is one. It has/has a Levi's sign?