PDA

View Full Version : Stairgate Advice

Truewoman
01-Feb-10, 21:01
Bit of a longshot but having trouble finding a stairgate suitable for the bottom of our stairs. We live in one of the two beds in Dunnet Road Thurso, has anyone in one of these houses had a stairgate which works at bottom of stairs, they curve round & window beside door means normal pressure gate won't work.

Have tried to make this as clear as possible but hard to describe, any suggestions greatly received. Thanks.

ShelleyCowie
01-Feb-10, 21:03
Do you mean like a curve in the stairs, then you have 2 stairs before the curves when you go up??

Do you have a wall to one side of the stairs and something like a wooden beam/banister/wall at the other side?

If so then there was stairgates i got from mothercare for mine like that. Really cheap, a bit fiddly to install but once in they are secure.

Will go see if i can find the link

Phill
01-Feb-10, 21:07
2x1 and lots of it, can't go wrong.
:cool:

We got an adjustable foldy clicky thing, so it can actually be shaped a little and then still have adjustable pressure etc. It's a travel one I think but we found it works on quite a range of odd stairs.

ShelleyCowie
01-Feb-10, 21:07
Right-o.... im pretty sure this is the ones that i got

http://www.mothercare.com/Mothercare-Wall-Extending-Safety-white/dp/B002GUVF4C/sr=1-4/qid=1265054720/ref=sr_1_4/279-7469212-4409354?_encoding=UTF8&m=A2LBKNDJ2KZUGQ&n=42869041&mcb=core

Not sure if it will work for you but worth a look! :)

Truewoman
01-Feb-10, 21:11
Yeah, kinda. Normal step at the bottom then three that curve round. There is a solid wall on the right which is fine and the left has a wall where bottom of gate would go which is fine also , but the wall stops and there is a window ledge & window where the top of the gate would go so not possible to fit. Sorry, am trying to make as clear as possible but difficult to describe.

Truewoman
01-Feb-10, 21:14
Thanks Shelley, had a look at the link but these wouldn't work either.

Thought of a better way to describe, the gap where the bottom of the gate would go is 82cm and the gap where the top of the gate would go is 99cm.

Phill
01-Feb-10, 21:21

Thought of a better way to describe, the gap where the bottom of the gate would go is 82cm and the gap where the top of the gate would go is 99cm.

Try having a look at the travel ones, the one we have is adjustable width so it folds up all tiny like, but you can set the top & bottom to different widths.

Truewoman
01-Feb-10, 21:24
Thanks Phill, will have a look at these. Someone else also suggested making one to fit ourselves so will do this if all else fails.

LMS
01-Feb-10, 22:14
I know the layout of your house, mine is the same! I have had a look on the internet and I can't see anything that would do. Only suggestion was to create a stair-guard rather than a gate. See if you can barrier around the bottom step. Not easy but can't suggest anything else.

Having had three children, if they get on the stairs, they soon get the hang of them and the odd tumble makes them more alert the next time. :D

ducati
01-Feb-10, 22:37
I know the layout of your house, mine is the same! I have had a look on the internet and I can't see anything that would do. Only suggestion was to create a stair-guard rather than a gate. See if you can barrier around the bottom step. Not easy but can't suggest anything else.

Having had three children, if they get on the stairs, they soon get the hang of them and the odd tumble makes them more alert the next time. :D

Oh, Confused, thought this was the Alien thread again-Sorry

ShelleyCowie
02-Feb-10, 01:26

Try this one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lascal-Kiddiguard-Stair-Gate_W0QQitemZ170439289764QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Ba by_Baby_Safety_ET?hash=item27aef92ba4

It can be quite expensive....but its worth it! My mate has it and it is really good. Extends to 130 cm

And its flexible! :Razz

Brodar
02-Feb-10, 10:11
Hi i also live in a 2 bedroomed house in Dunnet Road and we bought our stair gates from Argos and the bottom one worked fine but the left hand top pressure mount could not be used as it was over the window ledge. It was secure enough and never caused us any problems. Hope this helps.
xx

twiglet
02-Feb-10, 10:49
Lived in an house ages ago that had an impossible stair so we made our own out of mdf.

simpsoney
02-Feb-10, 12:03
I live in Park Avenue and i know exactly what you mean. We did have the stair gate on the living room door but it was apain trying to get the buggy out from under the stairs. We have now got it on the bottom of the stairs with some bits of wood to secure it.

Truewoman
02-Feb-10, 21:51
Thanks to everyone for the idea's, hubby is going to make something to fit :)