PDA

View Full Version : How would you feel if?

lister
01-Feb-10, 20:21
How would you feel if someone you knew requested they die when they knew they had an incurable or terrible existence to come?

This is not a poll but a talking point as Sir Terry Pratchett(my favorite author) has requested the debate be opened for the release of the terminally ill on the News today.
Very sad so it is but if/when we face this question would we request anything different to death by humane measure's or face the pain and suffering that's to come?:(

ShelleyCowie
01-Feb-10, 20:27
There are so many sides and opinions that will come into this.

I have many opinions about it. But if a human being is in pain, is suffering constantly then why make them live when they want to actually pass on. Why cant it be their choice?

If an animal is in pain or is suffering then they get put to sleep. Not even an objection by the courts for that.

I know of a few people in my family who are or have suffered. It breaks my heart but the difference is they want to keep living for the sake of everyone around them.

As i said....different situations...different opinions. Good thread tho lister!

Vistravi
01-Feb-10, 20:28
I think they should die the way they want to not forced to live on longer when they don't want to or forced into hospital when they want to stay at home.

It is hard seeing and hearing someone you love wanting to die on their own accord but if you love them you let them have it their way. To keep them alive when they don't want to die in pain is selfish. My dad refused to go back into hopsital after the doctors told him there was nothing they could do for him and he got his wish to die at home. It was very hard to watch and see but it was on his terms.

lister
01-Feb-10, 21:37
There are so many sides and opinions that will come into this.

I have many opinions about it. But if a human being is in pain, is suffering constantly then why make them live when they want to actually pass on. Why cant it be their choice?

If an animal is in pain or is suffering then they get put to sleep. Not even an objection by the courts for that.

I know of a few people in my family who are or have suffered. It breaks my heart but the difference is they want to keep living for the sake of everyone around them.

As i said....different situations...different opinions. Good thread tho lister!
Thankyou Shelly..its a tough i will agree, one that has made me think hard an deep about OUR rights,whats the point in suffering and in so much pain to ourselves and others,but then again should we be forgetting about the suffering of others and their situations as well as the moral dilemmas of not taking our own lives as the righteous and biblical teachings have sought to explain to us,should we not suffer for we shall see salvation in our deaths to a peace full and religious afterlife with God or such beliefs as we see fit.
I don't know what we should do?
I cannot decide but maybe only the suffering and terminally ill can with their ultimate insight into the real reality in life that which i have not faced yet but which question faces nearly all of us at some point.
Maybe its released to us when we're ready to hear and understand it,Sir Terry was quite succinct with his opinion as he is to soon face this,when he says loosing his memories will be his real time death(and to many others who read and enjoy his work) ,as always ,on his own,as we are all aware until the final question is put.
Sad but unavoidably true..

Boozeburglar
01-Feb-10, 21:55
I was worried you were talking about Terry Wogan there!

The right to end one's life is one I support.

The possible obligation for health professionals to assist is a different thing, and we need to be very careful that by forcing them to provide moral or religious objections to avoid being obligated we don't make assisted death the norm.

As it stands it is often put in the hands of the patients and carers. We all know it. Making that an obligation for doctors is just a step too far.

Mik.M.
01-Feb-10, 21:56
Having seen both my parents die suffering from Cancer,they had to endure agonising pain for what seemed like ages. When my dad asked the nurses if they could give him something they had to say sorry we can`t.It`s not nice seeing your loved ones suffer and it must be the same for medical staff.We all know what`s going to happen so if there is no hope for someone I have to ask why not let someone die with dignity. I know what I`d choose.We don`t let animals suffer intense pain so why do humans have to? Mik.

lister
01-Feb-10, 22:41
I was worried you were talking about Terry Wogan there!

The right to end one's life is one I support.

The possible obligation for health professionals to assist is a different thing, and we need to be very careful that by forcing them to provide moral or religious objections to avoid being obligated we don't make assisted death the norm.

As it stands it is often put in the hands of the patients and carers. We all know it. Making that an obligation for doctors is just a step too far.Ahhh the great Sir tel .
Will be a dark day indeed when this auld ager goes..
Have listened to him for some 38 yrs and now miss the man so much..cest la vie.

I also wonder the morals of the proffesionals and there views on taking a life when they are so much in favour through there jobs of saving lives .
To me its a helluva dilema..

joxville
01-Feb-10, 23:02
Personally I support the right to end someone's suffering if their quality of life has diminished so much that they need round-the-clock care, however it's such a moral and legal minefield that whatever is decided by the courts/Governement will still anger the pro-life campaigners. As Shelley pointed out, we will readily end an animals suffering yet it can't tell us whether it wants to live or die, where as humans that are regarded as the most advanced species is denied that choice.

redeyedtreefrog
01-Feb-10, 23:06
It's strange. Humans, the most intelligent, highly-evolved species are the only ones that don't have a right to die. It's not that good not being allowed to be let out of pain and suffering simply because I'm not a canid.

Kodiak
01-Feb-10, 23:18
It's strange. Humans, the most intelligent, highly-evolved species are the only ones that don't have a right to die. It's not that good not being allowed to be let out of pain and suffering simply because I'm not a canid.

So Why are Assisted Suicides not legal, there is only one answer to this and that is Fear. Fear that some nasty person will Murder and claim that they were only assisting them to kill themselves.

So a Blanket Law is made to make all assisted suicides against the Law, just in case. So until fear can be taken out of the equation then this Law will remain.

lister
01-Feb-10, 23:44
A bit late but watch Sir Terry on BBC1 22.35 - 23.25 monday 1st feb..or on BBCi player.on his case for assisted suicide..

lister
01-Feb-10, 23:48
Personally I support the right to end someone's suffering if their quality of life has diminished so much that they need round-the-clock care, however it's such a moral and legal minefield that whatever is decided by the courts/Governement will still anger the pro-life campaigners. As Shelley pointed out, we will readily end an animals suffering yet it can't tell us whether it wants to live or die, where as humans that are regarded as the most advanced species is denied that choice.
I agree Jox but could you assist someone's death...yes/no...
I could not as it would mean me taking a life before its due date,for this is against my religious moral fibre.
And yes i would suffer myself rather than see someone pay the price(if their is one)for my easing..
I will die as will all..and in history we are such a small blip in time to be insignificant no?

joxville
01-Feb-10, 23:54
Could I help someone end their life? I'd like to think I could, that it truly would be an act of kindess having known that person all my life. If it was me suffering I'd hope one of my siblings would do it for me, failing that I'd find the means for doing it myself. If I was able to, a trip up the Cairngorms on a very cold night with a bottle of vokda and some pills, slowly go to sleep......

Boozeburglar
02-Feb-10, 00:36
I don't know if I would trust Baldrick with any plan.

Needing round the clock care is not a measure of quality of life.

Mrs Bucket
02-Feb-10, 14:49
You have no way of knowing until you face it head on. No easy answer. It depends on what you believe happens after death.

Vistravi
02-Feb-10, 15:25
I agree Jox but could you assist someone's death...yes/no...
I could not as it would mean me taking a life before its due date,for this is against my religious moral fibre.
And yes i would suffer myself rather than see someone pay the price(if their is one)for my easing..
I will die as will all..and in history we are such a small blip in time to be insignificant no?

Could I help someone end their life? I'd like to think I could, that it truly would be an act of kindess having known that person all my life. If it was me suffering I'd hope one of my siblings would do it for me, failing that I'd find the means for doing it myself. If I was able to, a trip up the Cairngorms on a very cold night with a bottle of vokda and some pills, slowly go to sleep......

I like Jox like to think i could do it. After seeing my dad go the way he did i think i could help someone end their life on their own terms not on the terms od their terminal illness. I may blame myself when i miss them but the knowledge that i made them happy would ease the guilt.

Thumper
02-Feb-10, 17:27
I think that anyone who has had to watch someone close to them suffer a long and painful death would say yes,there is nothing worse than to have to sit by and watch the pain someone you love goes through while they are dying.I would do it if I had to for somebody i loved if there were in severe pain and distress,but there are a lot of "loopholes" that could be used if it becomes legal to do so and i think thats the main reason there is such reluctance to allow assisted suicide,as many may try to use it to unburden themselves from a relative with altzimhers(sp) or similar or indeed to "speed up" an inheritance so there are pros and cons for both sides I suppose x

wickscorrie
02-Feb-10, 19:10
hey i struggle to cope with a common cold, i would hate not to be allowed to have a say on when to end my life.
I would be the first in line to ssay yes to assisted suicides or euthanasia for humans
as said before if we are the most "intelligent" life source on this planet then why do we not have the personal right to say "yes I don't want to live anymore and i give so and so the right to take my life" without any form of reprisal.

my life my choice

Olin
02-Feb-10, 19:31
I'd let them die? I mean it's up to each and every person what they do with their life no? Well at least they do until some law decided by someone else decides what they can and can't do...

If someone doesn't want to live anymore should we force them to?

zarapopet
03-Feb-10, 21:17
i would be with them you should have the right to die .you donbt see vets keeping animals alive when they are critically ill so wht should drs .
we have enough to suffer in our lives so we should grant these people there wishes. i have no intentions of being keep alive when very ill or should i say terminal.
its my life so should be my choice .