PDA

View Full Version : Getting better - Onions?

Seagull
01-Feb-10, 18:06
At the hairdressers I heard that several years ago many of her employees were coming down with the flu and so were many of her customers. The next year she placed several bowls with onions around in her shop. To her surprise, none of her staff got sick. It must work.. (And no, she is not in the onion business.)

I did read somewhere that onions and garlic placed around the room saved many from the black plague years ago. They have powerful antibacterial, antiseptic properties.

Does anyone else use onions when they have someone sick in the house?

bekisman
01-Feb-10, 18:39
Most of us are aware of the powerful odor of onions. Did you know this is their secret weapon against viruses and bacteria? That pungent odor is caused by the rich sulfur compounds that promote health and well-being. Throughout history onions have been held in high regard for their culinary and medicinal qualities. They have even been used as a currency in Egypt to pay the workers who built the pyramids.
Onions have phytochemicals and quercetin which assist the body by moving and breaking up the mucus in the head and chest. The powerful odor causes the eyes to tear and the nose to run. It is this affect on your body that stimulates the immune system to fight the virus or bacterial infection. This is helping your body shed the virus and reduce the inflammation from congestion.
The onion is a warming, stimulating and penetrating herb. It is used in soups and even cough syrups. But you don't have to eat it to experience its healing affects. Apply them externally as a poultice and inhale and feel their pungent effects. Onions bring heat to the area and this action brings the fever to that part of the body to control how far the infection spreads.
You can also cut them in slices and put them in a bowl by your bed at night or in any room in the house. It is said they absorb the viruses and bacteria from the air. A doctor during the 1918 Spanish flu discovered a farmer and his family doing this very thing and they did not catch the flu, so the story goes.
Onions are anti-bacterial, ant-viral, and anti-parasitic. They are rich in vitamin C, potassium, chromium, fiber, manganese and vitamin B6. So eat onions every day, learn to make poultices and syrups and continue a 5,000 year old remedy

jings00
01-Feb-10, 18:55
i am never without an ingan
ingans are incorporated into just about every meal when possible, and garlic.
i canny mind the last time i had a cold

ShelleyCowie
01-Feb-10, 19:21
I made a pan of soup last week, i only used a wee bit o the onion so wrapped the rest up in cling film and tin foil cos i knew my OH would want a cheese and onion sandwich later....

So anyways...just a few hours later i went in the fridge to get the milk for a brew and what a smell came out my fridge! So strong!!!! My eyes started watering and stingin :eek:

Well that onion never lasted long in there and i binned it! Never again will i do that. Even now my fridge still smells of onion and i have a fridge deoderisor in it.

So i cudna imagine leavin onions dotted around the house! And chances are my cats would try and eat them too :lol:

Leanne
01-Feb-10, 19:47
We feed garlic to the horses and dogs. It's supposed to boost the immune system and also keeps off the flies :)

Gronnuck
01-Feb-10, 19:54
:eek: After a hot bath rub yourself thoroughly all over with an onion and garlic poultice. You wont catch anything from anyone 'cos no one will come near you! [lol];)

ShelleyCowie
01-Feb-10, 19:57
We feed garlic to the horses and dogs. It's supposed to boost the immune system and also keeps off the flies :)

i gave it to my horse too. Not sure if it ever really done anything. still used to get surrounded by flies lol

Leanne
01-Feb-10, 20:10
i gave it to my horse too. Not sure if it ever really done anything. still used to get surrounded by flies lol

I always wondered how bad the flies would be if I didn't use it...

George Brims
01-Feb-10, 20:29
I used to work with a bloke who swore by garlic pills for both preventing and treating colds. They didn't work at preventing his, but when he caught one, he didn't pass on the bug because none of us could get within ten feet of him for our eyes watering.

ShelleyCowie
01-Feb-10, 20:44
I always wondered how bad the flies would be if I didn't use it...

Give it a try this summer! [lol]

roadbowler
01-Feb-10, 20:59
bekisman, good post! I'm a huge fan of garlic and the entire allium family. Pickled garlic in my research is the best which you can either pickle yourself or buy from t?%@co in massive jars fairly cheaply. I get through one a fortnite! Lol

jings00
01-Feb-10, 22:53
ah pickled garlic is deffinately nice :-)

Kevin Milkins
01-Feb-10, 23:04
bekisman, good post! I'm a huge fan of garlic and the entire allium family. Pickled garlic in my research is the best which you can either pickle yourself or buy from t?%@co in massive jars fairly cheaply. I get through one a fortnite! Lol

Where our chickens used to be kept we had an adjacent piece of land that had wild garlic growing on it. We used to allow the chickens access to this ground for about an hour a day, and threw a few handfuls of wheat amongst it for them to scratch at.
When you cracked the eggs into a pan you would get that faint whiff of garlic, and during that period we could not keep up with the supply of garlic flavoured eggs.

joxville
01-Feb-10, 23:05
Edited Does anyone else use onions when they have someone sick in the house?

Yes, I do all the time. A big red one in the mouth and a shallot up each nostril stops them spreading their germs in my direction. :)

chaz
01-Feb-10, 23:25
Our horses,dogs and chickens all get garlic,helps thier immune system.Chickens benefit from it every week mashed with cod liver oil.Also acv.

Phill
01-Feb-10, 23:33
Apparently after decorating you can leave a couple of sliced onions about and they will get rid of all the paint odours etc.

What that has to do with colds I don't know. :eek:

roadbowler
02-Feb-10, 00:44
Where our chickens used to be kept we had an adjacent piece of land that had wild garlic growing on it. We used to allow the chickens access to this ground for about an hour a day, and threw a few handfuls of wheat amongst it for them to scratch at.
When you cracked the eggs into a pan you would get that faint whiff of garlic, and during that period we could not keep up with the supply of garlic flavoured eggs.
i bet those eggs pickled would have been really nice!!:D

Serenity
02-Feb-10, 01:13
I am an addict to eating loads of red onion in my salad. Sometimes a whole one, haha. Probably eat red onion most days. And when I am cooking something I use huge amounts of garlic too. But I still catch every blooming bug that goes around :( The rest of my diet isn't great so that is probably why.

Kevin Milkins
02-Feb-10, 03:01
i bet those eggs pickled would have been really nice!!:D

Although Mrs M has done pickled egg before, we never did have a go at pickling garlic flavoured egg.:confused I wonder if we could get wild garlic to grow in this part of the world?:roll: