PDA

View Full Version : Roland Electronic drum kit

Deemac
01-Feb-10, 13:10
Anyone out there with one of these drumkits? What were your impressions? (positive & negative) How gig friendly were they?

I'm currently considering either a TD9 or 12. It would be great if I could have a wee shot on yours before I take the plunge!:)

K dragon
01-Feb-10, 16:02
i have a roland. tbh, i was sorely dissapointed. i used it for home recording for about a year, and just gave up with it. now collects dust. its framing is poor. i felt like i had different bloody pieces from different kits. no matter how tightly i secure the frame it moves across the floor. the bass drum pad is very picky, will go soft or hard on its own accord. my other complaint is i was given a crap pedal with it, but thats not the kits fault. the module i have with it is cack too. you cant edit it in anyway, its all preset, no ability to edit the sound. you can pick and choose which runbbish sounds you want on which pad, but no real personal customisation.

this was my personal experience.

hope it helps.

Deemac
01-Feb-10, 16:27
i have a roland. tbh, i was sorely dissapointed. i used it for home recording for about a year, and just gave up with it. now collects dust. its framing is poor. i felt like i had different bloody pieces from different kits. no matter how tightly i secure the frame it moves across the floor. the bass drum pad is very picky, will go soft or hard on its own accord. my other complaint is i was given a crap pedal with it, but thats not the kits fault. the module i have with it is cack too. you cant edit it in anyway, its all preset, no ability to edit the sound. you can pick and choose which runbbish sounds you want on which pad, but no real personal customisation.

this was my personal experience.

hope it helps.

K, which model did you get? Hope it wasn't a TD20!!

Jeid
01-Feb-10, 18:01
I've heard good things, but heard much better things about the Yamaha kits. The_Big_Mac has one and he loves it

Jude
01-Feb-10, 18:22
I had a TD8-KV which had mesh heads and rubber cymbals that swayed. The brain was pretty class, you could select sizes, materials and heads of each drum as well as being able to tune it (to a degree). Also, you could change the location of each kit for different overall sounds. There really is a lot you can do.

However, I ended up selling it. Its just not the same as a real kit. Probably better for recording than gigging but again, its just not like a real kit, the sound or the feel. For me and what I like anyway. I do know people that use it live and are very happy with it though.

the_big_mac
01-Feb-10, 23:51
I've heard good things, but heard much better things about the Yamaha kits. The_Big_Mac has one and he loves it

Indeed i do.

I tried the TD12 after buying my Yamaha, and was happy with my choice!

The heads are very "boucy". It just doesnt feel right. Plus, although the sounds are excellent, they are just not in the same league as Yamaha.

Although, I have heard and read some great things about the TD20. Honestly tho, you gotta ask yourself whether its worth the extra grand for the roland.

I would give each a try first before diving in.

Deemac
01-Feb-10, 23:54
Indeed i do.

I tried the TD12 after buying my Yamaha, and was happy with my choice!

The heads are very "boucy". It just doesnt feel right. Plus, although the sounds are excellent, they are just not in the same league as Yamaha.

Although, I have heard and read some great things about the TD20. Honestly tho, you gotta ask yourself whether its worth the extra grand for the roland.

I would give each a try first before diving in.

Thanks for the info. Which model did you get? Can't say I've looked at the Yamaha range in detail yet. I have one contact so far with the TD12 that I hope to try.

the_big_mac
02-Feb-10, 20:08
Thanks for the info. Which model did you get? Can't say I've looked at the Yamaha range in detail yet. I have one contact so far with the TD12 that I hope to try.

DTX extreme III.

SPA2
04-Mar-10, 21:47
I have the Roland HD1 LITE for practicing on but it could be used for gigging.

its very compact and has the mesh snare with the rubber toms and swaying cymbals,as jude says its not the same as a real kit but aint a bad substitute!
i use headphones when i want to play later at night so its great for that.