PDA

View Full Version : Backer closed??????????

Tosh
01-Feb-10, 11:53
Have heard that the backer has closed its doors can anyone confirm this??????

Katy
01-Feb-10, 11:57
It was open on Saturday night.....

Wouldn't be too surprised though since they changed it back to members only.....think it wasn't the best idea really....

Kxxx

gemma89
01-Feb-10, 12:06
Its now law to have all clubs members only since the new licensing laws came in in September

Tosh
01-Feb-10, 12:36
Have heard more info that there is an EGM next monday 8th feb to decide what to do.

northener
01-Feb-10, 13:26

Have you tried knocking or shouting through the letterbox?

Amy-Winehouse
01-Feb-10, 15:12

I was told that they were in a very bad way months ago, a committe member told me on Sunday that closure looked to be the only way out for them :(.

A bit of a shame as there is NO where to go in Wick after 12 o clock on a saturday night (licence rules strike again!!) The Backer would be a good venue to have some live music for those of us who dont go to the waterfront to be surrounded with folk half our age :)

When I heard it yeaterday I thought , my old man will be turning in his grave if he knew about this- oh well , its a sign of the times

trix
01-Feb-10, 15:54
'e lounge is closed until efter 'e spring hes started. 'e stag bar will be open as normal. live music goes doon no bad in 'e stag...last time roddy mackay an barry reid played it wisna bad at'all. guid sound an all e' people wis enjoyin themsels...

catran
01-Feb-10, 23:28
I was told that they were in a very bad way months ago, a committe member told me on Sunday that closure looked to be the only way out for them :(.

A bit of a shame as there is NO where to go in Wick after 12 o clock on a saturday night (licence rules strike again!!) The Backer would be a good venue to have some live music for those of us who dont go to the waterfront to be surrounded with folk half our age :)

When I heard it yeaterday I thought , my old man will be turning in his grave if e knew about this- oh well , its a sign of the times

Bad times,bad management is all one can say of a good club gone down the tube due to bad representation, committee ect. How was this allowed to happen

Pooch
02-Feb-10, 16:05
Bad times,bad management is all one can say of a good club gone down the tube due to bad representation, committee ect. How was this allowed to happen

Not really the new laws have made a big difference on all pubs and have made it difficult for everyone. These laws are made for the big cities not us up here and has made a huge dent. Its ashame I don't really enjoy Wick as much as I used since these laws

Flashman
02-Feb-10, 17:24
Worst thing they done was let women in the Stag Bar, that place used to be a sanctuary for when us blokes when we needed to escape them.

Now any old drunken hen party can get in and ruin things :(:(

Alas now the Backer may be no more.:~(

sammycat1
02-Feb-10, 18:09
Well flashman i think you should go live with fred flintstone, its the 20th century not the 18th!
Used to be a sanctuary you say, at least the old hen parties was bringing money into the club, where was yours? [lol]

Bazeye
02-Feb-10, 18:27
Well flashman i think you should go live with fred flintstone, its the 20th century not the 18th!
Used to be a sanctuary you say, at least the old hen parties was bringing money into the club, where was yours? [lol]

Er... actually, its not the 20th century. And er... i dont think Fred Flintstone lived in the 18th century either.

trix
02-Feb-10, 19:38
thurs a meetin on monday nite, a guid chance til air yer views...providin that yer a member 'at is.

macbreeza
02-Feb-10, 20:40
I tried to give the backer a chance i really did but last straw was when i was there the Friday before xmas about 9pm and everything stopped for the annual xmas raffle draw which happened after the bingo! I couldn't get out of there fast enough I was scared to speak or laugh with my 2 friends incase i got shushed! If it was more inviting to guests then they may decide to become members!

I am 33 and there is no way i would go back there again as everytime i have gone its the same thing. Its ok for private parties and if there is live music on but other than that I don't bother. I am not a member as i have only returned north again after 5 years away and I would never use the membership to my benefit. Bingo and raffles are not for me.

trix
03-Feb-10, 17:35
eclipse is playin in 'e backer a week seturday :D

only thing is 'e couple o' pals that i want til come wi me arna members :( gona hev til use ma powers o' persuasion me thinks.

what if i say...."if ye da let ma pals in then 'e band wilna play??"

da think 'at'l work...maybe they will cough up an become members....or i could say that "wur wi 'e band" :cool:

whativer happens, il wilna be square....

Flashman
04-Feb-10, 13:33

Going into the Spoons tills instead!

In principle whats actually wrong with having a wee bar for male members only anyway?

fred
04-Feb-10, 14:55
eclipse is playin in 'e backer a week seturday :D

only thing is 'e couple o' pals that i want til come wi me arna members :( gona hev til use ma powers o' persuasion me thinks.

what if i say...."if ye da let ma pals in then 'e band wilna play??"

da think 'at'l work...maybe they will cough up an become members....or i could say that "wur wi 'e band" :cool:

whativer happens, il wilna be square....

Unless the law has been changed recently a member of a club can take guests in provided they sign for them in the visitors book.

burstbucker
04-Feb-10, 15:00
I'm sure any visitors getting signed into the club have to live outwith Wick.

The Angel Of Death
04-Feb-10, 17:26
Going into the Spoons tills instead!

In principle whats actually wrong with having a wee bar for male members only anyway?

Exactly thats what i used to like about the stag bar

Remember there is nothing wrong with females having there own equivilent dont think us blokes would be up in arms over it etc

Flashman
05-Feb-10, 10:44
Exactly thats what i used to like about the stag bar

Remember there is nothing wrong with females having there own equivilent dont think us blokes would be up in arms over it etc

Well this is it, it is all out of balance now.

Pooch
05-Feb-10, 15:17
I'm a female and have no problem places having stag bars or male only bars. At least that way there is no chance of misbehaving :lol: but I don't really see the problem with a stag bar?

Macwull
08-Feb-10, 23:27
For any members that didnt manage the meeting tonight here is what I took from it

-club is in £34000 debt
-one off membership fee is now due of £25 for all members payment asap but by end of normal fee paying time (April/May time?) (Not red card members)
-EGM was a bit of a shambles but if the club can make the next few months then it should be financially viable for the future if they can sell the flat.

The committee has done a fair bit of work to try and save the club and have explored every avenue possible, they have been in far worse circumstances but they cant get any money during the credit crunch as no one will lend.

The commitee said they welcome any ideas, one possible one mentioned is to open the hall to the public and leave the lounge and stag as members only areas.

Sadly everything costs money and sadly thats something the dont have a lot of at the moment, a lot of assets but no cash!

The Angel Of Death
08-Feb-10, 23:33
one mentioned is to open the hall to the public and leave the lounge and stag as members only areas.

Are they aloud to do that with the new laws that were passed ?

I was under the impression you couldn't go into the backer unless you had a membership any more much with the rest of the clubs in the town ?

Personally I would favour more if you are a non member then you pay a £1.50 at the door I am sure if that was put in place it would make a bob or two via that

Macwull
08-Feb-10, 23:39

I was under the impression you couldn't go into the backer unless you had a membership any more much with the rest of the clubs in the town ?

Personally I would favour more if you are a non member then you pay a £1.50 at the door I am sure if that was put in place it would make a bob or two via that

They would have to apply for a new license which would cost £1200 then £200/yr after.

They are looking into the pay at the door method but need to write a new constitution or something.

Everything costs and takes time both of which the backer hasnt got!!

There biggest point was that there were near 800 members but only 100 or so are regulars, the membership cant keep the club alive they need more members to frequent the place more regularly!

2little2late
09-Feb-10, 03:57
Is it true that as member you cannot sign a guest in to the club if they live in Wick? Have heard this many times from different people.

Amy-Winehouse
09-Feb-10, 11:46
Is it true that as member you cannot sign a guest in to the club if they live in Wick? Have heard this many times from different people.

That was true, you werent allowed to sign anyone in if theyt lived within either 2 or 3 miles of the club & there was limit to how many times you could be signed in. In busier times these rules were adhered to & then eventually anyone could get in on a Saturday night. I was a member for 17 years but lapsed 2 years ago as I dont go in the place anymore

katarina
09-Feb-10, 13:40
I wouldn't join because I used it about 4 times a year, but always enjoyed it when I went. It could be a good going venue, and always was when they had dances on a saturday night, I mean where else is there for peeps of a certain age to go? spoons have a good atmosphere, but no dance floor. Many years ago we used to go to the dounreay club, in its heyday and it did well. always dances and new bands coming up. then the commitee changed and the rest is history. Another great venue lying empty. Mind you, It would make a great yoputh club, the present one can't cater for all the kids that want to go. Or it could be turned back into a cinema. Think Wick needs a massive injection!

bagpuss
09-Feb-10, 21:13
The Back Bridge Street was where the blokes used to go to hide from their better halves. The no women rule in the stag bar once prompted me to copy the girl from the Chanel 19 advert and sneak in to try and get a game of snooker- a game I play appallingly badly but enjoy very much. I was stupid enough to engage in a game with old Ernie- my friend's dad, who was gallant enough not to let on he knew me until he'd annihilated me.

So who has a funny Backer story?

Legend had it that a Frank 'the way I tell him' Carson gig someone in the audience dropped dead and it was almost an hour before anyone noticed.....

scorrie
09-Feb-10, 21:33
So who has a funny Backer story?

I was playing snooker doubles in The Backer one night with my regular pairs partner (someone well known locally but nameless in this story). After playing a shot, I was drawn aside and asked a very unexpected question:-

"Here, I'm not trying to be funny, but would you mind taking a look at my goolies in the toilets, as I think something is amiss with them"

After due consideration (one millisecond) I declined the invitation.

Shortly afterwards I noticed my man having a conversation with a chap at the bar. A half gill of whisky changed hands and they then disappeared into the lavvy briefly. After the frame was over my partner told me the other gadgie had had a look and definitely thought something wasn't right in the scrotal area.

"That's it, I'm off to the Doctor tomorrow" was the conclusion.

The following night we were given the diagnosis, over a game of crib.

"Aye boys, the Doctor sussed the problem out with only two pieces of information, one was that I had recently started working as a Postman and the second was that I like to go without underpants."

Then came the line that cracked the whole club up and that lives on with some of those who were there at the time.

"So that was it boys, here was me worrying about having picked up the "Ganny Ganny Gackas" and it turned out that it was the Post Office troosers that was doin it!!"

2little2late
09-Feb-10, 22:31
So did any members of The Backer go to the meeting on Monday night, if so what was the outcome regarding the alleged closure?

Macwull
10-Feb-10, 21:49
So did any members of The Backer go to the meeting on Monday night, if so what was the outcome regarding the alleged closure?

post 22 above sums up what I took from it, business as usual but for how long!?

Lumberjack
10-Feb-10, 22:28
I have been a member of the Town & County Club (T&CC) for many years and have spent some memorable nights there.
It must be about 15 years ago, that one night I heard some noise coming from the Gents' toilets and went in to see what was happening.
Well, a gentleman friend of mine was trying to pull a condom over his head, whilst encouraged by about ten members. The trick, apparently is to pull it over your nose and then blow it up until it bursts.
I immediately went back out, got my pint and went back in to view proceedings.
What a shame, he was almost there, when his fingernail caught on the prophylactic and it went into a hundred pieces.

Aah, the simple pleasures of the poor.

Anyway, this brings me to the point of this post.
I have not been a member of the T&CC for the last two years.
The incident that finished it for me was one Monday I went in at about 5 past 11 in the morning to have a look around.
I fancied a punt on the fruit machine and went to the Stag bar for change.
There was an elderly Gentleman in front of me, and he asked for a Grouse and a half pint of lager.
He was told that the Grouse bottle was finished and the lager barrel was also finished, but she would bring his drinks to him when the stocks were replenished.
I got my change and went out to the lobby to try my luck.
Now, I cannot be sure how long it took me to play my £20, but I fancied trying my luck again with another £20.
Before I did this, I went out to the front to have a smoke, only to see the Gentleman mentioned beforehand doing the same.
I said to him, "By jove, it is a good job you were not in a hurry for your drinks", whereupon he replied, "Oh, I still have not received my drinks yet"

A quick check of the clubs financial situation convinced me that that was enough- I have never been back since.

katarina
11-Feb-10, 12:09

I always thought it would be a good idea for clubs to charge for dances. that way they could bring good bands to the area and turn the business round. Perhaps less for members.
Personally as a none member, I would be happy to pay more than £1.50. If it was a good local band, £4 - 5, thinking about the amount of young non-members that used to go there, I think they would soon be in the black. what they need is a good businessman on the committee.
I'm sure there must be some loop-hole somewhere. Maybe reducing fees, would bring in more members, hence more money over the counter.
Do the maths.
I would pay the £25 for membership, but what's the point of going there now? since the public have stopped getting in, there are very few people there and therefore no atmosphere - so I've heard anyway.

sprint95m
11-Feb-10, 14:51
Maybe reducing fees, would bring in more members, hence more money over the counter.

Fair point, but in practise I believe your suggestion would make no difference. Currently one Wick Club's annual fee is 2/3 of the others (ie £10 as opposed to £15) but has less members than the Backer. Secondly, there are a considerable number of members who make an annual visit to the Club just to pay their fees, which suggests to me that lowering the fee will make no difference to them.

The Backer has over 900 members (including OAPs who qualify for free life membership) but under 100 "regulars". Their operating costs have been reduced to the minimum possible. Finding ways of increasing the number of "regulars" is the way forward in my opinion.