PDA

View Full Version : classroom minimum temperatures?

wickscorrie
01-Feb-10, 08:40
i know the minimum temp under the education regulations is 18 deg.C, but what happens when the temp falls in practise,

my oldest has been grumping that the classrooms are freezing! and that they are not allowed to keep their coats on.
if the temps are below 18deg them what rights do the kids have
or how does the school cope
was swithering whether give them a thermometer and ask them to take a note of the classroom temps.
its the wick high they attend

ShelleyCowie
01-Feb-10, 08:50
To be honest i would phone the school myself. Advising your concerns. It worries me too about the kids not being warm enough in the school.

I thought that if the temperatures dropped below regulation temperature whilst they were at school then the school had to send them home. But to be honest i dont think i have ever seen it done. :confused

And if it were me then i would phone the school before the kids went to ask the temperature of the classes, they are supposed to keep check on it. if it is not regulation temp i wouldnt send them. Simples! :cool:

wickscorrie
01-Feb-10, 08:58
love the simples,
according to the paperwork, if the classrooms aren't above 18deg then they have to give 24hrs written notice before closing the school. or provide extra heat through other forms of heating!

e bairns says that they were chattering the other day,

ShelleyCowie
01-Feb-10, 09:01
love the simples,
according to the paperwork, if the classrooms aren't above 18deg then they have to give 24hrs written notice before closing the school. or provide extra heat through other forms of heating!

e bairns says that they were chattering the other day,

We all love simples! lol.

Well again if it were me then my kids would not go to school. I would inform them why i wasnt sending them and until the heating was turned up to a more appropriate temperature they will not be returning.

And i dont get how they have to give 24 hours notice? The kids go to school on the monday morning, its freezing and they cant go home! :eek: Thats just stupid to be honest.

And i never took my coat off when i was in school, ever! But that was Thurso High school and they knew not to tell me to take it off lol

Venture
01-Feb-10, 09:01
i know the minimum temp under the education regulations is 18 deg.C, but what happens when the temp falls in practise,

my oldest has been grumping that the classrooms are freezing! and that they are not allowed to keep their coats on.
was swithering whether give them a thermometer and ask them to take a note of the classroom temps.

I think as far Wick High is concerned the temperature would vary from class to class. Some are in better condition than others. If you have any concerns get on to the school or the education authority. Don't forget that the heating in the school is controlled from Inverness.;)

wickscorrie
01-Feb-10, 09:03
venture, can they keep their coats on in classroom if the temps are low

kid is saying that they aren't, but if the room is below the regs then surely they have the right to do so

i know that inverness control the heating (stupid system)

Venture
01-Feb-10, 09:14
venture, can they keep their coats on in classroom if the temps are low

kid is saying that they aren't, but if the room is below the regs then surely they have the right to do so

i know that inverness control the heating (stupid system)

You need to speak to the school, I can't give an outright answer to that. What I can say is normally they would not be allowed to keep coats on. In weather like this I would think that if the classroom is noticeably freezing that staff will be sympathetic about the situation and act accordingly.

Perhaps if some of the pupils wore warmer clothes it might help too.

Mrs Bucket
01-Feb-10, 09:41
You need to speak to the school, I can't give an outright answer to that. What I can say is normally they would not be allowed to keep coats on. In weather like this I would think that if the classroom is noticeably freezing that staff will be sympathetic about the situation and act accordingly.

Perhaps if some of the pupils wore warmer clothes it might help too.

Have you tried to tell a teenage girl to dress sensibly. Believe me it is no an easy message to get across.

Venture
01-Feb-10, 10:47
Have you tried to tell a teenage girl to dress sensibly. Believe me it is no an easy message to get across.
With the length of some of the skirts I've seen in school I'm inclined to agree with you on that one Mrs Bucket.;)

Dadie
01-Feb-10, 11:01
Skirts?
T?hought some of the girls wandering around forgot to put on their trousers to go with the belts they are wearing:lol:
Legs that look like corned beef are never attractive and it would be more to vanity that they bunged on trousers than sense if it was pointed out that their legs were an unattractive purple:lol:

BRIE
01-Feb-10, 11:40
My kids have complained about the school being freezing before & they too werent allowed to keep their coats on! At the time the school heating wasnt actually working but the rector refused to close the school[evil]. I sent a letter into the school stating that my children would be keeping their coats on until the heating was fixed & that solved the problem.:)

Invisible
01-Feb-10, 12:42
Why aren't they allowed to keep coats on?
I always remembered being allowed to when it was cold or wintry.

wickscorrie
01-Feb-10, 12:47
my one has school trouser with leggings under as well, two pairs of socks and ugg boots (or equivalent, canna afford uggs) 2 tshirts and school hoodie. so she is one of the ones who does dress appropriately.
and is still cold
mind you if you are sitting still for any length of time in a cold enviroment then you'll still feel cold

wonder in this day and age if the school have thermometers.

though today a least for mine it dosen' matter as i kept her at home, as i didn't fancy driving her in the road conditions, so she is in a warm place (the kitchen) doing her homework

davem
01-Feb-10, 12:48
Never - young girls with short skirts - wouldn't have happened in our day!

Hello - have people turned into their own grandparents?

Venture
01-Feb-10, 15:14
Never - young girls with short skirts - wouldn't have happened in our day!

Hello - have people turned into their own grandparents?

We most definitely have.[lol] I can still hear my granny saying "You'll catch yer death a coold in that." And just like today's teenagers I never listened to my elders when good advice was being given out.;)

Mind you I can't remember wearing mini-skirts to school.

_Ju_
01-Feb-10, 18:55
We had to kneel and our skirts had to be touching the floor in front of our knees or we'd e sent home......:eek:

EDDIE
01-Feb-10, 19:04

I would phone the school and complain
If your genuiningly cold you wear warmer cloths whether it be a coat or jumpers its common sense does the teacher not teach common sense with the kids its quite amazing just by wearing a a hat on how much heat it keeps in on your body it makes a big differnce in keeping u warm

mumof2
01-Feb-10, 23:31
i was hearing that the high school pupils aren't even allowed to wear scarves at school, not just in the classroom but at school in general. that's a bit sad if it's true.