PDA

View Full Version : Teusday 9th save a life!

_Ju_
05-May-06, 22:41
Teusday the 9th of May you can save 3 peoples lives by giving blood at Wick Assembly rooms.
It doesn't hurt, won't do you any harm and will, infact, do your self-esteem a world of good. And I hope it never happens, but one day you or someone in your family will need blood.....

I hope to see you all there and wonder who is who as I lay back on the canvass bed.

connieb19
05-May-06, 22:49
It's something I've always wanted to do but I'm too scared and always end up backing out..:(

Ann
05-May-06, 23:27
Yes Ju, a really worthwhile hour spent resting! And they treat you like royalty especially if it is your first time.
Connie, believe me when I say you will feel really good if you can pluck up the courage to go. Go on girl, you can do it!
cheers,
Ann

The Angel Of Death
06-May-06, 01:24
I HATE needles cant stand them but im there and have been at everyone since i started giving about 2 1/2 years ago

I cant beleve some people "i cant go im scared of needles" wonder if they would be scared of the needle if the needed a blood transfusion !!!

I had a blood transfusion when i was born if not i wouldnt be here i cant stress how important it is to do

Believe it or not the worst part is when you get your finger pricked to test the blood first time i got it done i was waiting for the nurse to say are you ready took me well by suprise but the teacake i got more than made up for the sore finger :D

Fran
06-May-06, 01:27
Yes, please go and give blood. i used to do it and it doesnt hurt at all and you get a cup of tea after it. you never know who will be lying next to you!!! I had a big blood transfusion 10 years ago, without those donors i would have died and i will always be so grateful to them. please go and save a life, even a newborn baby can need blood.

Loafer
06-May-06, 07:34
I encourage everyone to go along and give a pint. It really is easy! I used to donate regularly, but due to my medication, I can no longer give.

The Loafer

Lucy
06-May-06, 13:50
I used to always give blood when i could but new rules stated that if you had a blood transfusion yourself you couldn't give any longer. I got 3 units when my daughter was born over 18years ago. I understand why i can no longer give but still a bit peeved. There must be a lot like me so the service has lost a lot of donors through no fault of their own. Please, Please go to the assembly rooms and give blood. Have a lie down and a lovely cuppa when your done.

You never know when you or some-one close might need it like i did.

badger
06-May-06, 17:52
They are desperate for donors, I had a letter saying they are well down on the minimum needed. I always go when I can - they don't want people with colds etc. for obvious reasons, in fact there are so many people excluded from giving now that they really do need everyone who can. It's fine - good excuse to lie down and do nothing for a while without feeling guilty :)

The Angel Of Death
06-May-06, 18:21
I used to always give blood when i could but new rules stated that if you had a blood transfusion yourself you couldn't give any longer. I got 3 units when my daughter was born over 18years ago
Anyone that has had one since 1980 cant its because of cjd and all that i dont think its possible to test for it in blood

But it does make it even more important that everyone that can goes along

doyle
06-May-06, 23:29
I'm not keen on needles either, but if all you have to "suffer" is a wee jab to save someones life, then go along - its not that bad! It also gives you a good feeling of doing something to help someone - you never know the time you may need blood yourself. I have not been able to give blood this last 3 years because of medication i'm on, but as soon as i'm off my tablets and able to give blood again - i'll be there!

rockchick
07-May-06, 09:44
I'm not just scared of needles, I'm terrified of them! But, a couple of years ago I forced myself to work through it and donate, and have been doing it every possible occasion since.

The first time was awful...I was shaking, and started crying, and really freaked the nurse out until I explained what was going on, then they were really nice to me, made certain I couldn't see the needle at all, and then I was fine.

As it turns out, my blood type is quite valuable as I'm a "universal donor" 0-negative, so its even more important for me to make the effort. I'm really glad I have.

Liz
07-May-06, 12:50
Well done to all you blood donors. You are life savers!:D

I would like to donate blood but can't due to illness and medication.:(

dirdyweeker
07-May-06, 18:39
if you do not mind giving blood maybe you might consider a 4-6 weekly trip to Inverness to donate your Platelets. Another part of your blood that is desperately needed. I do this now and BTS say they are desperate for more Platelets donors. (Get a days shopping in at the same time!)
Ask about it when/if you go to give blood on Tuesday.

weeboyagee
07-May-06, 19:15
Hey Rockchick - see you on the beds! I'm a Universal donor also but it is absolutely essential that anyone who can give blood does - the mail shot that we all got tells us how short they are on supplies.

Go here for more information www.scotblood.co.uk

Session is at Wick Assembly Rooms Tuesday 9th May from 2pm til 4pm and from 5pm til 8pm. Call 0845 30 17 2 70 also for more info.

I took the decision to give blood because my mother used to when she was younger and can't. She was 'O' neg and I was aware that I might also be 'O' neg - where your blood can be given to anyone without a problem of matching (as far as I am led to believe). You never know - you may have a rare blood but remember, the greater part of the population are 'O' positive and therefore they need as much of this type as possible, so no matter your blood or your fear of needles (we'll help you through - I don't like needles either!!!) you don't feel a thing - and there are may others in the hall when you're there - you certainly don't feel alone AND you'll be surprised who will be on the next bed beside you and you end up having a right natter - before you know it - it's all over and done with and you are having your tea with yet another natter round the table. :)

GO ON - YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!

WBG :cool:

weeboyagee
07-May-06, 19:21
Following on dirdyweekers point, if you are a blood donor or are going to become one and you really want to make a big contribution to the world around you, ask them to consider you as a bone marrow donor when you go. I did this a few years ago. They will arrange for you to be tested at a blood donating session and you will be held on a register for the possibility of having your bone marrow save a cancer patient's life.

Think about it and consider asking them,......P-L-E-A-S-E....... :)

WBG :cool:

connieb19
07-May-06, 20:05
How long does it take to give blood?

_Ju_
07-May-06, 20:11
Depending on how many people are there, but from when they start processing you till you sit down for your tea no more than 20/30 minutes. I've never timed it to tell you the truth.

Whitewater
07-May-06, 20:28
I would still go but I'm told I'm too old now, they don't take over 60s although I'm still very fit.

dirdyweeker
08-May-06, 11:52
You can give your first donation up until you are 60years old and then go on donating until you are 70 if you are fit.

And for Bone Marrow donors upper age limit is 40, but you can start donating aged 18years. As weeboyagee says you could really be making a big contribution to the world around you. I am positive you would feel good knowing that something you can give for free could save a life.
Make this year one to remember........................

_Ju_
08-May-06, 18:46
Just to bring it to the front of the .org cue again....remember tomorrow.

weeboyagee
09-May-06, 09:51
......and to bring it to the top of the page again today. It's today - see you all on the beds :)

Please attend and give a chance to others,..... WBG :cool:

candyfloss
09-May-06, 11:02
Well done to everyone who goes along today:D you should be really chuffed with yourselves.:D
I lost count of the number of units of blood i had when i was in hospital and platelets too.
And if you could consider being a bone marrow donor than would be even better Well done again

Fran
12-May-06, 00:23
why not have a Caithness org blood donation session? You could all arrange to go at the same time and then you will meet each other and can give each other support. then arrange the same time for the next time the transfusion service are up.