PDA

View Full Version : famous ancestors!

brandy
31-Jan-10, 18:31
wow, have decided to do the family history.. and have discovered that i am a direct decendant of Admiral Sir John Hawkins. Was that a surprise.. when i found that he died in
Puerto Rico in 1595 i was curious as to why i would have an ancestor even in Puerto Rico in 1595!! imagine my shock when i found out the details.. *Grins* however i dont know if i should be proud or ashamed of him *grins* also, seems i have a Hawkins cousin here who very publicly appologised for ALL OF US.. as his decendants for the things he had done.. so thoughtful of him (rolls eyes) whats weird is i read about it in the paper when it happened and thought.. you nutter.. whadda know.. its a member of my family .. makes so much sence now!

joxville
31-Jan-10, 19:53
C'mon, admit it, you're dressing it up a bit, you're really a descendant of his parrot. :roll:

Who's a pretty brandy. :)

;)

Boozeburglar
31-Jan-10, 20:10
dont know if i should be proud or ashamed of him . . . . very publicly appologised for ALL OF US

Your ambivalence speaks volumes.

. . . and you thought that he was a nutter for apologizing?

tonkatojo
31-Jan-10, 20:29
After not too much research I discovered I'm a descendent of Adam, ;)

joxville
31-Jan-10, 20:34
We must be related, I have a nephew, a brother, two uncles and a great-grandfather callled Adam. :)

golach
31-Jan-10, 20:35
On your Father's or Mother's side ?[lol]

brandy
31-Jan-10, 20:38
not so much the apology but traveling to gambia and wrapping himself in chains before village elders. in no way shape or form do i support slavery, but come on... its not our fault some one that lived hundreds of years ago decided that the best way to make money was to take up a buisness that the africans were already trading in themselves, and turn a pretty penny. that was the times and the way things were done.. were they right? by todays standards no way... however, the norse were aviking long before my ancestors and taking many a slave from our very shores.. its something that has been ongoing since the dawn of man and still is rife today. saying that he had some good qualities as well.. did a whole lot of good in his time, and basically changed the way ships were built complety. for you smokers out there.. they think he introduced tobacco to the UK and was the first to export tatties from ireland.. he was a spy and double agent.. as well as a privateer. he was def. UN pc!! but saying that he created a charity for old and ill marines that i think is still going today is some form.. so thats always a plus! *grins* this is fun reading.. and having a blast doing it.. wonder what else i will turn up!

ohh and so lovey of you to cut and paste from two seprate sections of my post to make it look that way.. *laughs* the first part is proud of all the cool things he did and a bit ummm wow at the slavery part.

tonkatojo
31-Jan-10, 20:39
We must be related, I have a nephew, a brother, two uncles and a great-grandfather callled Adam. :)

well I'll be ed it's a small world Jox.;)

tonkatojo
31-Jan-10, 20:41
On your Father's or Mother's side ?[lol]

That was a bit of a poser Golach, that's got me ed too.

Boozeburglar
31-Jan-10, 21:05
in no way shape or form do i support slavery, but come on... its not our fault some one that lived hundreds of years ago decided that the best way to make money was to take up a buisness that the africans were already trading in themselves, and turn a pretty penny. that was the times and the way things were done.. were they right? by todays standards no way... however, the norse were aviking long before my ancestors and taking many a slave from our very shores.. its something that has been ongoing since the dawn of man and still is rife today . . . was the first to export tatties from ireland . . . ohh and so lovey of you to cut and paste from two seprate sections of my post to make it look that way

You remind me of one of those people who proclaim, "I am not a gossip, but did you hear . . .", and proceed to pass on the local rumours.

I think most of us reading know something about slavery, but feel free to carry brushing over that part of your ancestor's dealings by suggesting it was totally normal back in those days. Perhaps not for the victims aye? Your reference to the Africans doing it themselves shows where you are coming from. You just want to tell yourself it is ok, I understand. If I found out my ancestor was so heavily involved in one of the greatest evils ever seen on this earth I might also want to indulge in some denial. I don't think I would become an apologist for them though.

He exported tatties from Ireland?

I deleted the parts of your post I was not referring to. That is quite normal. There was no intention to edit it to support my point. If that is what you are suggesting.

brandy
31-Jan-10, 21:13
rolls eyes.. oooookkkkkkkaaayy.. i dont know how finding out about an ancestor and being amused to know im not from country stock.. and able to track back more than a few generations.. turn into im a racist.. honey i know racism i grew up in it.. my family is full of it.. my own brother told me my son was a half breed because my husband is scottish.. and not just another red neck backwoods hill billy that he would have liked me to marry. to be honest people up here dont have a clue what racism really is.. i can remember crosses being burned in yards when a white woman dared to date a black man.. the KKK still runs rife where im from. dosent mean i proscribe to it.
in fact, i fancied a black boy that i grew up with.. sadly he was madly in love with his girlfriend.. the cow.. i still hate her *grins* he had the most beautiful eyes!! *winks* anyway... nope not prejudice.. but not very pc either. i dont think a great deal on slavery is all.. it happen'd there is nothing we can do about it now.. unless you have a time machine hidden in your garage? however we can learn from our mistakes and not hate so much.. or point fingers at others.... as my beautiful eyes boy once said. its all good baby.. its all good *laughs* to be 17 again!

yup he exported tatties .. you can look him up on wikipedia.. lots of great stuff on there.

ducati
31-Jan-10, 21:15
That was a bit of a poser Golach, that's got me ed too.

With all this ing going on I'm surprised anybody has any ancestors

Boozeburglar
31-Jan-10, 21:20
rolls eyes.. oooookkkkkkkaaayy.. i dont know how finding out about an ancestor and being amused to know im not from country stock.. and able to track back more than a few generations.. turn into im a racist.. honey i know racism i grew up in it.. my family is full of it.. my own brother told me my son was a half breed because my husband is scottish.. and not just another red neck backwoods hill billy that he would have liked me to marry. to be honest people up here dont have a clue what racism really is.. i can remember crosses being burned in yards when a white woman dared to date a black man.. the KKK still runs rife where im from. dosent mean i proscribe to it.
in fact, i fancied a black boy that i grew up with.. sadly he was madly in love with his girlfriend.. the cow.. i still hate her *grins* he had the most beautiful eyes!! *winks* anyway... nope not prejudice.. but not very pc either. i dont think a great deal on slavery is all.. it happen'd there is nothing we can do about it now.. unless you have a time machine hidden in your garage? however we can learn from our mistakes and not hate so much.. or point fingers at others.... as my beautiful eyes boy once said. its all good baby.. its all good *laughs* to be 17 again!

yup he exported tatties .. you can look him up on wikipedia.. lots of great stuff on there.

I am not removing anything from your post when I quote from now on . . .

Listen to me ONE time, and go back and read what I wrote.

I am not accusing you of being racist, not one bit!

Now I will have to roll my bleeding eyes!

brandy
31-Jan-10, 21:23
sorry.. *g* thats what i read.. but i did have two boys on me at the time.. trying not to get ready for bed.. one of my foibles.. is the racist card.. drives me batty.. i was so glad to leave that behind when i came over!

Boozeburglar
31-Jan-10, 21:24

Har har, that is a cracker man!

Kevin Milkins
31-Jan-10, 21:33
[quote=brandy;653100] for you smokers out there.. they think he introduced tobacco to the UK and was the first to export tatties from ireland.. [quote]

I was given to believe it was Sir Walter Raleigh that was responsible for the introduction of potatoes and tobacco to the UK.:confused

Boozeburglar
31-Jan-10, 21:39
sorry.. *g* thats what i read.. but i did have two boys on me at the time.. trying not to get ready for bed.. one of my foibles.. is the racist card.. drives me batty.. i was so glad to leave that behind when i came over!

I don't play that card as a rule.

I don't think you are racist, and I understand what you are saying about your ancestor.

But let's face it, his involvement in slavery really puts everything else into the shade morally.

In today's climate he is infamous rather than anything else.

You point out yourself that you have come from a background where the modern day echoes of the slave trade are all too real, so it really is not something that was done so long ago that no one need be sorry, it is a stain still present on modern society.

It is only recently that the descendants of those slaves have been given equality in the US. Your ancestor took part in something that has current effect.

I understand why someone would go to Africa and make a demonstrative apology.

Not my thing, but I understand it.

brandy
31-Jan-10, 21:48
heres the link about the tobacco and things.. its suggested so not in stone
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hawkins#Potatoes.2C_tobacco_and_sharks

brandy
31-Jan-10, 22:02
OMG.. i may just get run out of scotland.. dare i say it?
Edward I 'Longshanks', King of England

Boozeburglar
31-Jan-10, 22:50
i may just get run out of scotland..

No chance of that, you are one of us now! Wouldn't have it any other way, either. You brighten things up. :)

brandy
31-Jan-10, 22:52
awwwww... grins we Are amused.. waves hand..

Bobinovich
31-Jan-10, 23:54
My ancestral claim to fame is a link on my paternal side to Jeremiah Clarke (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremiah_Clarke), composer of the well-known Trumpet Voluntary (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trumpet_Voluntary).

DeHaviLand
01-Feb-10, 00:05
An ancestor of mine, MacFadyen, Lord of Lorn, was killed by William Wallace in a cave near Loch Awe. Its known to this day as MacFadyens Cave.

fingalmacool
01-Feb-10, 00:13
I thought it might be a good idea to look up my family tree, but then the fear of finding most of them still up there, stopped me:confused

brandy
01-Feb-10, 01:50
I thought it might be a good idea to look up my family tree, but then the fear of finding most of them still up there, stopped me

that gave me a giggle *Laughs*

Mrs Bucket
01-Feb-10, 10:30
REALLY boys you are lowering the tone.

northener
01-Feb-10, 13:32
I think my lot were pretty boring, really. Nothing outstanding been done by any of them by the looks of things.

Going off at a tangent, why the hell does anyone feel the need to apologise for what their ancestors were involved in? What a load of trendy handwringing mawkish crap.

mumof2
01-Feb-10, 23:36
i agree with northener why would anyone feel the need to appologise for someone and something you had no control or influence over?

joxville
02-Feb-10, 00:00
On behalf of my countrymen I'd like to *apologise to the English for Bannockburn. :(

*Yeah, right! [lol]

Amy-Winehouse
02-Feb-10, 03:44
I am actually a distant relation of captain cook and also vinnie jones found that out a few years ago:D

Boozeburglar
02-Feb-10, 08:12
... and what did Vinnie think about it?

George Brims
02-Feb-10, 20:36
On my mother's side, we're distantly related to Washington Irving, the American writer (Rip Van Winkle, Sleepy Hollow etc), and on the other side to "John Brymmes elder of Brymmes and his son", charged with sheep stealing in 1610.

Tugmistress
02-Feb-10, 20:46
I wouldn't have a clue how to even search for family history - i only know as far back as my nanas nana :(

rich
02-Feb-10, 20:52
You remind me of one of those people who proclaim, "I am not a gossip, but did you hear . . .", and proceed to pass on the local rumours.

I think most of us reading know something about slavery, but feel free to carry brushing over that part of your ancestor's dealings by suggesting it was totally normal back in those days. Perhaps not for the victims aye? Your reference to the Africans doing it themselves shows where you are coming from. You just want to tell yourself it is ok, I understand. If I found out my ancestor was so heavily involved in one of the greatest evils ever seen on this earth I might also want to indulge in some denial. I don't think I would become an apologist for them though.

He exported tatties from Ireland?

I deleted the parts of your post I was not referring to. That is quite normal. There was no intention to edit it to support my point. If that is what you are suggesting.

Even the most cursory glance at this shows it is ascribing motivation. "You just want to tell yourself it is OK" How do you know that? What insight into the portals of the subconscious mind do you have that permits such a statement?

rich
02-Feb-10, 20:59
Boozeburglar how do you know your ancestors are such paragons of virtue? What are you covering up? Come on confess! I have Bloody Claverhouse in my family tree! I might just send around a few English dragoons to sort you out. We used to feed off Scotsmen...

ducati
02-Feb-10, 22:34
An ancestor of mine, MacFadyen, Lord of Lorn, was killed by William Wallace in a cave near Loch Awe. Its known to this day as MacFadyens Cave.

Not lucky MacFadyen's cave?

northener
02-Feb-10, 23:43
Boozeburglar how do you know your ancestors are such paragons of virtue? What are you covering up? Come on confess! I have Bloody Claverhouse in my family tree! I might just send around a few English dragoons to sort you out. We used to feed off Scotsmen...

Bloody Clavers? Tsk, tsk.

Bonnie Dundee, if you don't mind, Sir.

Amy-Winehouse
03-Feb-10, 00:13
... and what did Vinnie think about it?

He is very protective of his family so watch your mouth [lol]

golach
03-Feb-10, 00:15
Bloody Clavers? Tsk, tsk.

Bonnie Dundee, if you don't mind, Sir.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsMTzU2-oc4 [lol]