PDA

View Full Version : confidentiality

Tom Cornwall
30-Jan-10, 12:01
when I was in the military, and later the Civil Service, I had to sign the Official Secrets Act, which meant that if I told something of a sensitive nature, to somebody else, I could get arrested for doing it. How is it, nowadays, confidential reports etc are being leaked all the time, and no-one appears to be brought to book for doing it. Is the Official Secrets Act now defunct and binned? Seems odd to me.

shazzap
30-Jan-10, 12:15
No it is not.
My husband had to sign this when he worked for a shipping company involved with the MOD about 6yrs ago.

Phill
30-Jan-10, 12:42
I guess there at a juxtaposition with now having whistleblowing policies.

Plus it's various MP's behind these leaks and we know how they comply with the rules and regulations don't we.

Cattach
30-Jan-10, 13:25
when I was in the military, and later the Civil Service, I had to sign the Official Secrets Act, which meant that if I told something of a sensitive nature, to somebody else, I could get arrested for doing it. How is it, nowadays, confidential reports etc are being leaked all the time, and no-one appears to be brought to book for doing it. Is the Official Secrets Act now defunct and binned? Seems odd to me.

Some folk will do anything for a few quid such as selling info to a journalist on the qt. Does not matter to them that is is or whom it may hurt.

crayola
30-Jan-10, 14:18
when I was in the military, and later the Civil Service, I had to sign the Official Secrets Act, which meant that if I told something of a sensitive nature, to somebody else, I could get arrested for doing it. How is it, nowadays, confidential reports etc are being leaked all the time, and no-one appears to be brought to book for doing it. Is the Official Secrets Act now defunct and binned?
I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you. Are you willing to make the ultimate sacrifice for your country? :)

I guess there at a juxtaposition with now having whistleblowing policies.
This is a good point. Similar tensions exist between Freedom of Information and Data Protection issues.