PDA

View Full Version : Roswell

Sporran
05-May-06, 07:26
The other night I was watching the History Channel here in the US. The episode was about Colonel Philip J Corso, and claims he made in his 1997 autobiography 'The Day After Roswell'. According to Corso, in the early 1960s, when he was stationed at the Pentagon, he was assigned the super-secret task of stewarding alien artifacts - recovered from the 1947 Roswell, New Mexico crash - to high-tech companies, so that the technology could be reverse engineered. He states that these actions led to the development of fiber optics, lasers, integrated circuit chips and more. Many scientists disagreed strongly; the invention of the transistor, for instance, is preceded by certain related patents dated 15 years earlier. But Colonel Corso claimed that we have alien technology to thank for the development of the integrated circuit for computers, as well as advanced night vision equipment.

What is your opinion? Do you think we really owe much of our technological advances to the findings at Roswell? Have any of you read Colonel Corso's autobiography, and if so, what did you think of it?

JAWS
05-May-06, 19:02
Sporran, I don't know about the Alien Technology and Reverse Engineering but some of the stories are absolutely laughable and by 'stories' I mean the official explanations.

The idea that the Officer in Charge of the only US Airforce Base which, at the time, was the only one where the Squadron which carried nuclear weapons operated from, could not tell the difference between something extremely unusual and a Weather Balloon is crazy even by American Standards.
I can picture the scene now! The phone rings, the Base Commander answers the phone. "Hello." (pause) "Yes." (pause) "The Alien Flying Saucer was a what? A Weather Balloon? Good grief, you do know you are on an unscrambled phone-line, you're sure it's safe to speak about it?" (Long pause) Well, I've never seen one before, I didn't even know such things existed. Are you sure Weather Balloons are not Top Secret? Do the Ruskies know we have them? They do? Well nobody told me about them!" Slams phone down feeling decidedly out of the Loop!

Then it wasn't a Weather Balloon but a highly secret operation to spy on Russia using high altitude balloons. The USSR, which had managed to get details of what was happening at Los Alamos seem to have been totally unable to find out about a few balloons. (I mean the ones that float, not the ones who invented that particular story).

The most recent invention I have heard is that the 'Aliens' were in fact Dummies and the object (again) was a balloon used for some unspecified High Altitude Tests. (Again, the only 'Dummies' that I can think of are the ones inventing that story)

Strange thing is that, apart from the Weather Balloon, there seems to be no records of these Highly Secret Balloons that have come to light even under the Freedom of Information Act.

I do not particularly believe in Little Green Men but surely the Pentagon can afford better Scriptwriters than the Balloons they already have.

For those who have no wish to know the facts behind the whole sad sorry tale, please stop reading now so I don't spoil your fun
I have carried out long, involved and highly dangerous (at times even life threatening) enquiries into this matter so, for the rest of you, it's like this:- Take one large balloon, add one Action Man Doll, place in the hands of a KGB Agent, dump in field, ply local farmer with lots of moonshine and let human nature take it course.

And you should have seen the size of the one that got away! (With apologies to all fishermen. oh yes, and ladies) [lol]

pultneytooner
05-May-06, 20:09
Well, for a start, who's to say ours is the only galaxy that does or can sustain 'intelligent' life, it would be pretty narrow minded to think that it is?
As for Colonel Philip J Corso, the more bizarre his autobiography, the more copies it will sell, he wouldn't make much money talking about a weather balloon.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
06-May-06, 17:42
Always thought that Roswell was the Americans trying out a new spy scheme on the U.S.S of R.The whole thing went weird and crashed.The luck turned to the U.S.A as folk started to blether about crashed U.F.O's,the American defence guys thought,if they want to talk about aliens let them go ahead....means we don't need to explain about trying to spy on the Ruskies.

JAWS
06-May-06, 22:24
Always thought that Roswell was the Americans trying out a new spy scheme on the U.S.S of R.The whole thing went weird and crashed.The luck turned to the U.S.A as folk started to blether about crashed U.F.O's,the American defence guys thought,if they want to talk about aliens let them go ahead....means we don't need to explain about trying to spy on the Ruskies.
Can't be that Cedric or the Russians would have told us about it years ago! :lol:

Kingetter
06-May-06, 23:17
I think that all those men (7 women) in white coats (etc) at Roswell should be visited by the other men in white coats and be taken away in those jackets that do up behind, to somewhere warm and secure and padded. They can take along whoever was responsible for it all.