PDA

View Full Version : we're back to snow!

mumof2
29-Jan-10, 11:01
oh my goodness looked out this morning and it was blooming snowing. not sure i can be bothered with the stuff again. i know everyone was forecasting snow but i kind of hoped they were wrong. Is this snow going to be hanging about or is it going to be a short term thing? Ah well time to crack open the hot chocolate and wrap myself in a big blanket until i have to go into work.

ShelleyCowie
29-Jan-10, 11:07
i was a bit shocked to see it this morning too, dont want it! :( I liked the snow when we had it before....but not now. Its bloomin freeeeeeeeeezin out there. I have my fleece blanket wrapped firmly around me. Even athrun has his wee blanket wrapped around him and he is lying on the floor watching cbeebies (i could kill Mr Tumble)

mumof2
29-Jan-10, 11:15
it's freezing alright, i did the decent thing and gave OH a lift to work so he didn't have to cycle to the other side of town in this weather. he's now gone to work feeling suspicious of me, he thinks i'm after something because i never offer him a lift ever. saying that i am planning a trip to Aberdeen next month and if he would like to offer a cash donation i wouldn't say no lol. the car said -0.5 at half 8 but with that horrible wind blowing it felt like about -500000000000. well maybe not that cold i'm just being dramatic. Anyone else out there that feels like hibernating?

dietcokegirl
29-Jan-10, 12:33
Yes! I've had a bad morning and all i want to do is go home and crawl under a blanket. I stood outside in the freeeeezing cold waiting for a bus at 8.15 this morning, waited for 20 minutes and it never appeared.

Went home with intentions of getting the 9.15 bus to work (which would make me late for work, but hey - not my fault) this bus did come but managed to splash in the biggest puddle of slushy snow when pulling up to stop....and of course it was me that ended up with soaking wet trousers. :(

Now I'm sitting at work still unable to warm up, trousers have started to dry out but i swear I've got frostbite in my tootsies.

BINBOB
29-Jan-10, 13:14
HATE IT ,HATE IT.......go away ,snow!!;)

Loraine
29-Jan-10, 14:22
Go away snow!! It's fine for a few days of fun to play in but really annoying when you need to travel in it. I have to be in Tain, then Inverness later on today... :roll::mad:

cuddlepop
29-Jan-10, 14:30
Snowing here too and lying at least its still snow so hopefully it wont freeze tonight.

Dogs just love the snow so are glad its back.:D

Kathy@watten
29-Jan-10, 14:40
Blooming freezing out here too, nearly died of cold feeding the animals this morning! All water frozen again and having to lug water containers about again...not good! the dogs love it tho and keeps the ground nice and clean looking...hides the poops and mud!

Dadie
29-Jan-10, 14:56
Sledge was the transport of choice for the nursery school run today!
1 very happy 3 yo, though daddy was a bit cold!
The road to Wick was a bit slippy when I went through to the dentist but a bit better on the way back, saw the gritter going in the opposite direction than me both ways:roll:

andrew.bowles30
29-Jan-10, 16:45
tp same hear in bridlington yorkshire it the wind its getting worse as the day goes on:confused

oldmarine
29-Jan-10, 17:00
Snow in Caithness? I did not see too much of that stuff in Thurso while there and that was in December. Must have been the wrong time of year.

golach
29-Jan-10, 20:14
Snow in Caithness? I did not see too much of that stuff in Thurso while there and that was in December. Must have been the wrong time of year.
Maybe just the wrong year Grunt try here

http://www.caithness.org/atoz/snowycaithness/index.htm

Stavro
30-Jan-10, 00:08
Brrr .... it's cold outside. :roll: What happened to global warming? :roll:

Rictina
30-Jan-10, 00:14
We didnt get snow until this afternoon here in Inverness. :)

Boozeburglar
30-Jan-10, 00:32
We didnt get snow until this afternoon here in Inverness. :)

??????

There was snow last night. Not much, but it was there in the morning, and lay on North facing slopes all day.

Rictina
30-Jan-10, 00:39
??????

There was snow last night. Not much, but it was there in the morning, and lay on North facing slopes all day.

LOL, you carnt call that splattering snow. ;)

Yes, my car had a smithering of snow this morning, but it looked to me more like heavy frost, lmao.

Wivis has had a covering for most of the week.

This evening is the heaviest TBH, I was quite suprised earlier when I let the dogs out.

Boozeburglar
30-Jan-10, 00:45
I agree it was slight, but it was never the less snow.

I was out in it in the middle of the night with the dog.

Tonight's has been lovely and crisp, 2 inches where I am.

Roads were treacherous.

:)

Rictina
30-Jan-10, 00:48
I agree it was slight, but it was never the less snow.

I was out in it in the middle of the night with the dog.

Tonight's has been lovely and crisp, 2 inches where I am.

Roads were treacherous.

Yeahy, its lovely out there right now just like cotton wool. :)

Kodiak
30-Jan-10, 00:51
It is Horrible out there, It is Cold, Wet, Icy, Slippy and dangerous to walk on. The sooner the weather changes and the Snow goes the better as far as I am concerned.

Boozeburglar
30-Jan-10, 00:53
I agree, but the snow here is wonderful underfoot. Makes a nice change from the ice crust we had for those weeks lately.

Kodiak
30-Jan-10, 01:00
The ONLY time that Snow is wonderful is when it is on a Christmas Card. If I have to try and walk on it it is Horrible and Dangerous.

Boozeburglar
30-Jan-10, 01:03
I can appreciate that if you have any kind of disability or problem.

I have to take my dog out on the lead right now as he is injured, it is not great when there is snow, but I have an area of grass to stick to. As long as the snow does not get deeper it should be ok.

Most of us have had enough for this year. It is still only the end of January though, so traditionally we can expect some more yet..

ShelleyCowie
30-Jan-10, 10:55
I dont mind the snow as much today! Dont know what changed my mind.

But there is no way i can take the pram out in this so its house-bound for athrun.

I can understand that people with disabilities are house bound too and its not so good for them. My granny cant get out in this, neither can my grandad. So i will be offering to see if they need anything taken to them (im sure they wont because they keep enough food to feed 5,000)

And my lucky mother is in Lanzarote right now lying in the sunshine. :eek:

Gronnuck
30-Jan-10, 11:22
:eek: Snow? what snow?

celtic lass
30-Jan-10, 16:45
was working in thurso yesterday afo i then left thurso at 6 god it took me nearly an hour to get home to wick.I love the snow but hate driving in it

bingo1
30-Jan-10, 18:07
Im sick of the snow as i find it very hard to walk in as i am paranoid about slipping as i have a Kneecap that likes to pop out a bit too flaming much!

oldmarine
30-Jan-10, 18:53
Maybe just the wrong year Grunt try here

http://www.caithness.org/atoz/snowycaithness/index.htm

Great photos golach. Looks like you may be correct - wrong year!!! lol

suzyq
30-Jan-10, 22:03
My granny cant get out in this, neither can my grandad. So i will be offering to see if they need anything taken to them (im sure they wont because they keep enough food to feed 5,000)

Anyone else noticed how older people are so much better prepared for any bad weather - they've been there, done that, and could write the book. :D

ShelleyCowie
30-Jan-10, 22:19
Anyone else noticed how older people are so much better prepared for any bad weather - they've been there, done that, and could write the book. :D

Definetely! My granny and grandad basically have a supermarket in their house! :lol: Always got plenty to eat. They are very prepared for anything.

redeyedtreefrog
30-Jan-10, 22:20
I love the snow until it gets gritted, then it turns to a horrible brown slush that makes my shoes and trousers dirty and makes my socks and feet wet.

Iggle's Mummy
30-Jan-10, 22:33
i love the snow . but i have to travel to Dingwall on Thursday hope its gone by then coz i hate traveling in it . :D:D

Invisible
31-Jan-10, 17:37
A99 road is really bad today, took 40mins for me to travel 15miles from Wick

neepnipper
31-Jan-10, 21:56
Snowed heavily here (Auckengill) all afternoon, got a few inches now and just started to snow again! Alright if you're at home but not if you have to go out and about in the stuff.

William
01-Feb-10, 00:09
The A9 from Brora to Wick today after dinner time was well deep loads of drifts an snow every where it was the best drive north i've had in ages loved it!!

Dadie
01-Feb-10, 11:09
The snow is persisting down in Watten.
Nursery is cancelled :(
I didnt want to battle with the buggy in these conditions as the pavements are thick with snow and the side roads are bumpy!
But Lauren is upset but inside activities today!
I batch cook so have enough to feed us all for ages if I dont go shopping...
but spag bol can get a bit boring after 3 days:lol:

Loraine
01-Feb-10, 11:37
The A9 from Brora to Wick today after dinner time was well deep loads of drifts an snow every where it was the best drive north i've had in ages loved it!!

It was really scary - I was there!! We left Tain at 6pm and didn't get to Thurso until 8.30pm! At one point we were on the navidale bend just north of Helmsdale and our car was going nowhere. Loads of cars were spinning and weaving all over the road. One completely lost control and went off the road. Thankfully my husband was driving and knew what to do. I'd have panicked and probably turned back for the night!! When we got on the causeymire we passed a minibus lying on it's side completely blocking the southbound lane. It had obviously just lost control and flipped over. Very dangerous driving conditions. Thankfully the braes and dunbeath bridge were well gritted and ploughed. The drifts on the sides of the roads were amazing - 3-4 feet in places. And the worst part was the winds kept blowing it off the drifts straight onto the road. It was like driving through a snow tunnel with absolutely no visibility!! Here's hoping I never have to go through a journey like that again!! :eek:

mumof2
01-Feb-10, 12:30
sent my lot off to school as normal just for them to return 10 minutes later with big grins on their faces announcing "schools shut" so spent the morning sledging with Brandys family and all our dogs, brill! won't be able to work this afternoon either as kids are at home. Think it'll be hot soup and then more sledging, my arms are aching now so just going to sit and relax with my cuppa while trying to get in contact with my boss. hope everyone is getting on ok in this weather.

Kathy@watten
01-Feb-10, 13:21
Well I packed my wee lad off to meet the bus this morning...he had to wait about 30 mins but never the less the bus appeared and off he went....sadly other child not got playgroup, so one huffy puffy 4 year old to amuse, doubt he will enjoy what I normally do all morning. All my jobs out and about feeding horses took twice as long this morning. Dog walk was nice tho!

Vistravi
01-Feb-10, 13:34
I dont mind the snow as much today! Dont know what changed my mind.

But there is no way i can take the pram out in this so its house-bound for athrun.

I can understand that people with disabilities are house bound too and its not so good for them. My granny cant get out in this, neither can my grandad. So i will be offering to see if they need anything taken to them (im sure they wont because they keep enough food to feed 5,000)

And my lucky mother is in Lanzarote right now lying in the sunshine. :eek:

Ach you take one hand and i'll take the other and we'll walk the lad through the snow. He'll love it. Also theres two of us to share the load when carrying him has to be done. ;)

Phill
01-Feb-10, 13:55
Wifey tried to get to work today, first day of a new job an' all so she thought she'd make a half decent attempt.

Usual story with the side roads and drifting snow and she ended up sliding into the ditch at the side, so orf I went wiv me shovel and started to dig her out and all the usual pushing and shoving to get her back on the road.

Then along comes a bod in a 4x4, I'm digging away still (working up quite a sweat now as I don't do manual labour) and I think we maybe in with a shot of lashing the rope up and pulling the car back onto the road, all of a foot or so.

Only to look up again and see them turn round and off.
Which was nice!

oldmarine
02-Feb-10, 14:34
Reading all these posts reminds me of the concern about Global Warming. lol

Alan16
02-Feb-10, 15:56
Snowed over night and most of the morning in Edinburgh. And here was me thinking I wouldn't see any more for about a dozen months...

William
02-Feb-10, 22:06
It was really scary - I was there!! We left Tain at 6pm and didn't get to Thurso until 8.30pm! At one point we were on the navidale bend just north of Helmsdale and our car was going nowhere. Loads of cars were spinning and weaving all over the road. One completely lost control and went off the road. Thankfully my husband was driving and knew what to do. I'd have panicked and probably turned back for the night!! When we got on the causeymire we passed a minibus lying on it's side completely blocking the southbound lane. It had obviously just lost control and flipped over. Very dangerous driving conditions. Thankfully the braes and dunbeath bridge were well gritted and ploughed. The drifts on the sides of the roads were amazing - 3-4 feet in places. And the worst part was the winds kept blowing it off the drifts straight onto the road. It was like driving through a snow tunnel with absolutely no visibility!! Here's hoping I never have to go through a journey like that again!! :eek:

I'd do it again tommorrow maybe not in a car tho wouldn't be as good.

Iggle's Mummy
02-Feb-10, 22:14
the shock gets you . glad use are safe .:)

Turquoise
02-Feb-10, 22:33
The Ord is looking really bad again...

http://www.trafficscotland.org/lev/index.aspx

Invisible
02-Feb-10, 22:47
Meant to be heading to ness tomorrow, not so bothered if I have to stay in bed.

ShelleyCowie
02-Feb-10, 23:01
Meant to be heading to ness tomorrow, not so bothered if I have to stay in bed.

im going down soon til Ness, the snow better be clear by then cos i have an appointment, i have been waitin 6 years for this appointment! :D

purplelady
02-Feb-10, 23:10
tis snowing here in wick again wish it would go away now was so getting used to walking without having to worry about falling over lol xxxxxx

ShelleyCowie
02-Feb-10, 23:12
tis snowing here in wick again wish it would go away now was so getting used to walking without having to worry about falling over lol xxxxxx

I never realised how icy it was outside my house here in Thurso, nearly fell on my bum too many times! :eek: So decided to walk on the road instead!

The Angel Of Death
03-Feb-10, 00:31
Few bursts of lightning now as well and a clap of thunder near wick

Also caught one coming home tonight back of 6 / 7 ish mile or so outside haster as well lit up the whole road instant light was almost a night into day flash as well pretty cool after the initial errrr what was that moment

Bobbin
03-Feb-10, 00:38
Glad someone else saw the lightening. I thought I was imagining things. :eek:

wickscorrie
03-Feb-10, 23:06
just watching the met office radar wonder if we are in for a blast of snow tonight.
met office warning out, think i'll wait for another half hour and check the live eyes at the ord
closet weather watcher i am
if i was in the states i'm sure i'd be a tornado chaser

golach
03-Feb-10, 23:12
Snowing down here........Grrrrrrrrr

shazzap
03-Feb-10, 23:16

Just read your post and looked out the window.
Not snowing here.......YET......... Wick.
Lets hope it stays that way.

caithnesslad
03-Feb-10, 23:20
Just read your post and looked out the window.
Not snowing here.......YET......... Wick.
Lets hope it stays that way.

Could be a fair chance maybe because he's from Edinburgh, No snow out here yet.

laguna2
03-Feb-10, 23:21

and here :(

wickscorrie
04-Feb-10, 00:05
its snowing on the ord camera
http://www.trafficscotland.org/lev/index.aspx

shazzap
04-Feb-10, 00:55
It's raining. Hope it washes the snow away.

Aaldtimer
04-Feb-10, 03:47
Well Thurso is really getting it just now!:(