PDA

View Full Version : Try this.

anonnymus
03-Mar-04, 23:42
If you have enough Wickers banging randomly on typewriters they will eventually type the entire works of Shakespeare.

Try this http://user.tninet.se/~ecf599g/aardasnails/java/Monkey/webpages/index.html#results

webmannie
04-Mar-04, 01:49
The point is?

George Brims
04-Mar-04, 21:37
Are these monkey's being fed on banana's?

Partan
05-Mar-04, 08:41
Are these monkey's being fed on banana's?

When I first read this I said:

Oops, apostrophes!

Then I thought:

George Brims? Yes.

Country loon? Yes.

Rural primary education? Yes.

Inaccurate punctuation? No way!

So I looked back at the original post of this thread. There it was, an errant apostrophe! So I was right. It wasn't George! He was being gently corrective!

Sorry for even doubting you George.

Penitently,

Partan

George Brims
05-Mar-04, 19:55
Hehe I just remember the ruler across the knuckles you could get for an errant apostrophe like that. Made me a stickler for accuracy in punctuation. Since I've spent a good bit of my career feeding text to computers, which will happily do exactly what you typed instead of exactly what you meant, this is probably a good thing.

Partan
05-Mar-04, 23:36
If you have enough Wickers banging randomly on typewriters they will eventually type the entire works of Shakespeare.

To ensure consistency surely it should read "Wicker's"? :roll: :roll:

Pedantically,

Partan

simian sally
07-Mar-04, 01:06
It did. It doesn't now. Anonnymus corrected the mistake. You are still scoring points. That's not very Christian of you. :evil

Partan
08-Mar-04, 08:17
It did. It doesn't now. Anonnymus corrected the mistake. You are still scoring points. That's not very Christian of you. :evil

Hi Sally

Your interpretation is that Anonnymus corrected the mistake; my view is that he/she sought to obscure it. Your interpretation is kinder than mine; that does not mean it is more correct. Only one person can supply the real interpretation.

I wait with bated breath.

You say I am being un-Christian. You may be right, but other people might say I am being un-Islamic or un-Buddhist or even un-Humanist. You are being partial when you imply that kindness or tolerance is the monopoly of the Christian religion. I think you do a disservice to the adherents of other religions and of none.

Partan

simian sally
09-Mar-04, 00:58
Yes, anonnymus corrected the mistake that you so kindly brought to the attention of all and sundry.

But

You are still scoring points. That's not very nice of you.

Is that better?

I see you are at it with apostrophe's elsewhere on the ccws cite

http://www.caithness.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=26091&highlight=#26091

Are you always this annoying? :roll:

With much love and many xxxxx's ;)
--SG

squidge
09-Mar-04, 14:25
:eyes

A missing or additional apostrophe is not a capital offence. As long as we understand what the person is trying to convey do we really need to point out their grammatical inaccuracies. I know grammar mistakes annoy the pants off some people but it is not a disaster if someone adds or misses an apostrophe.

Maybe we could collectively give up apostrophes for lent.... whaddya reckon?

jjc
09-Mar-04, 22:55
:eyes

A missing or additional apostrophe is not a capital offence.

No... bUt ThIs Is [lol]