PDA

View Full Version : Andy Murray - British or Scottish?

Green_not_greed
28-Jan-10, 23:16
And a major well done to the man and best of luck for the final.

Well he's both Scots and British as far as I am concerned but it REALLY winds me up when the BBC change their allegiance depending on how well he's playing.

Last year he started being described by the BBC as Scottish and by the time Wimbleton came around he was well and truly British. After he was knocked out he was Scottish again. When the Oz open started he was being described as Scottish and now he's in the semis he's British again!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

bluechesse
28-Jan-10, 23:23
Aye. He's only British when he's winning.....

When he gets thumped and then goes on to give one of his legendary personality filled interviews, he seems to revert to being Scot again. Weird that.;)

gleeber
28-Jan-10, 23:42
Nah, surely no. I think that idea is exclusive to Scotsmen with chips on their shoulders. Its a Scottish thing but its better than attacking London with Claymores. :eek:
Andy Murrays a Scotsman whose also a British citizen.

golach
28-Jan-10, 23:54
. When the Oz open started he was being described as Scottish and now he's in the semis he's British again!

But he is in the final soon not the Semi's and all the quotes I have heard, he is being called Scots. But as Gleeber pointed out he is British also.

Bazeye
28-Jan-10, 23:55
Who cares? Hes as British as Anjem Choudry.

gleeber
29-Jan-10, 00:43
Who cares? Hes as British as Anjem Choudry.
Thank Bazeye, I never laughed so much since I last saw dads Army. Its no very politically correct either, is it? :eek:

Amy-Winehouse
29-Jan-10, 01:03
He has a passport of the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland, so whether he likes it or not , hes Brittish [lol]

Nah Ive changed my opinion of him, hes an extremely talented tennis player & I hope he wins on Sunday , Im no fan of Federer but Federer is scared of Murray as he doesnt show him the respect that Fed thinks he should.

That to me is a good sign of confidence in his own ability, something we dont see too much as we dont have many world class sportsmen in Scotland & Murray undoubtdly is about to become one . Starting sunday whether its Fed or the other guy(name escapes me)

He can be scottish or Brittish for me, but I bet he is supporting the same teams as me in the Fifa world cup in June, He certainly was last night ;)

tommy1979
29-Jan-10, 01:23
Andy Murray - British or Scottish?

Both :roll:

charlie
29-Jan-10, 01:38
"He can be scottish or Brittish for me, but I bet he is supporting the same teams as me in the Fifa world cup in June"

I note the plural "TEAMS" :)

Aaldtimer
29-Jan-10, 04:32
It reminds me of Kenneth Wolstenholme's commentary of the European Cup final in May 1967. When Celtic went down 1-0 to a penalty, they were a Scottish team, when they equalised they were a Scottish team, when they won the match, all of a sudden they were the "First British Team " to win the the Cup!:roll:

Same guy, previous year stated that the "English" Union Jack was flying proudly over Wembley Stadium when England won the World Cup!:eek:

docker
29-Jan-10, 07:18
Andy Murray will be going out to win on Sunday for himself, tennis majors are contested by individuals and they are not team sport divided into national teams. What is nationality, but an indicator of where you were born, or where you have chosen to live. Why people get worked up over an individual sportsman’s nationality is beyond me.

porshiepoo
29-Jan-10, 09:19
He's British. Happens to have been born in Scotland but he's British all the same.

Many Scots seems to have a chip on their shoulder with the issue of whether he's called Scottish or British in commentaries. The chip is entirely on your shoulders and quite frankly it's boring now.

Andy Murray probably couldn't give a flying sausage about where he originated from when he's on the court. He's playing for himself first and foremost and then maybe he's playing for his country - Great Britain.

loganbiffy
29-Jan-10, 09:25
He is Scottish. I'm tired of hearing the BBC commentators saying he is British when winning yet Scottish when losing, make your ruddy mind up!!

I class myself as Scottish and it's nothing to do with having a chip on my shoulder, I was born in Scotland to Scottish parents.

I don't see why people suggest we have a chip on our shoulder, it's about being proud of where you come from.

ducati
29-Jan-10, 09:44
Amy,Charlie It's BRITISH look on a map if you don't know how to spell it!

That poss. should have been in the outraged thread :confused

Jeid
29-Jan-10, 09:48
To be fair, when I read the BBC website the other day, they were calling him a Scot and he said that he'd like to win "for British sport"

tonkatojo
29-Jan-10, 09:51
Andy Murray will be going out to win on Sunday for himself, tennis majors are contested by individuals and they are not team sport divided into national teams. What is nationality, but an indicator of where you were born, or where you have chosen to live. Why people get worked up over an individual sportsman’s nationality is beyond me.

Does Murray not live in a mansion in the south of England now ??.

Angela
29-Jan-10, 10:22
I'm fed up hearing that he's 'only the second British player to reach the Australian Open'.

It's of more interest to me that he's the first Scotsman to get there, so far as I know, but I admit I look at it from my own Scottish perspective. No chip on my shoulder at all - I just happen to have had Scottish parents, to live in Scotland and to think of myself as Scottish.

I too have noticed that the London-based media tend to refer to him as 'British' when he's doing well and 'Scottish' when he's not.:roll: This is nothing new of course and I'm not sure they're even conscious that they're doing it.

In recent years I think many people in most parts of the UK have come to think of themselves as less 'British' than they used to do. In fact I think that a lot of the pride in being 'British' came from the British Empire and now there is no Empire the London-based government and the media seem determined to manufacture a sense of 'Britishness' that's no longer genuine.

Personally I feel Scottish, I am a UK citizen, I have no antipathy towards any other part of the UK, but I have little if any sense of being 'British'.

I'm sure Andy Murray plays for himself anyway! :lol: He only plays for 'Great Britain' in the Davis Cup of the Olympics when he's a member of a British team.

Boozeburglar
29-Jan-10, 10:41
Does Murray not live in a mansion in the south of England now ??.

That is relevant in what way?

:)

Bazeye
29-Jan-10, 10:55
I class myself as Scottish and it's nothing to do with having a chip on my shoulder, I was born in Scotland to Scottish parents.

Youve got to realise its not as simple as that nowadays. According to our Government anyone who arrives on these shores and is given a British passport is deemed British as well. Sad but true

veritas
29-Jan-10, 10:59
Andy Murray is Scottish first and foremost

he trains in Spain that doesnt make him Spanish !!

In his interview he mentioned he was proud to be the first Scot (Succesful) Tennis Player and was over whelmed at the Support he was recieving back home(Scotland)this has real importance because it has now trebled the amount of Kids in Scotland that are playing Tennis with clubs so future Andy Murrays can come through.

Nice to see his shirt sponsors are RBS and Highland Spring

Angela
29-Jan-10, 11:06
Youve got to realise its not as simple as that nowadays. According to our Government anyone who arrives on these shores and is given a British passport is deemed British as well. Sad but true

Well maybe that's part of why I don't feel 'British', Bazeye? :confused

All I can say is I feel Scottish in a way I don't feel British. I think I did have a sense of pride in being British when I was wee but not now.

My husband was a Cotswold lad born and bred and he didn't feel British either -he thought of himself as English. We got on fine and co-existed very happily without having to think of ourselves as both being British! :lol:

I just tend to feel there is a false sense of 'Britishness' that's peddled by the media, no doubt encouraged by the government in the interests of keeping the UK together, but sporting occasions quite often give the lie to this.

Sorry, this is going well off the subject of Andy Murray and I wish him all the best for Sunday's final. :)

Ooops, sorry Bazeye, just noticed you were quoting Loganbiffy and not me!

porshiepoo
29-Jan-10, 11:11
I see myself as English because I was born there but it doesn't define who I am. If I was asked what nationality I am I would say British.

I'll explain why I believe that many Scots get narky every time Andy Murray (and other athletes etc) are described as anything other than Scottish.
IMO it's not down to being proud of Scotlands achievements as would be claimed by many, it's down to this chip that some Scots have about what they see as an injustice by the English. They shouldn't perceive it that way but they do.
Let it go! English people let go of such injustices years ago, It's much healthier for the mind!;)

achingale
29-Jan-10, 11:12
And a major well done to the man and best of luck for the final.

Well he's both Scots and British as far as I am concerned but it REALLY winds me up when the BBC change their allegiance depending on how well he's playing.

Last year he started being described by the BBC as Scottish and by the time Wimbleton came around he was well and truly British. After he was knocked out he was Scottish again. When the Oz open started he was being described as Scottish and now he's in the semis he's British again!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Well said! I noticed this too.

Boozeburglar
29-Jan-10, 11:28
Let it go! English people let go of such injustices years ago, It's much healthier for the mind!;)

ROFL

What utter tosh!

The Germans, the French??? 'Foreigners' in general..

Who does the English NOT have a chip on their shoulder about?

northener
29-Jan-10, 11:39
Yawn...........

Flashman
29-Jan-10, 11:46
He is Scottish and he represents Great Britain, simple as that.

If Scotland were an independant country then he would be representing Scotland.

English, Welsh, Scots and Northern Irish all represent Great Britain in sports like Tennis, Athletics, Motor Racing so get over it.

Infact "British OR Scottish?" is a stupid question because being born anywhere in the United Kingdom qualifies you as being British.

Amy-Winehouse
29-Jan-10, 12:06
Amy,Charlie It's BRITISH look on a map if you don't know how to spell it!

That poss. should have been in the outraged thread :confused

Oh look its the spelling police, on your bike eh .

Invisible
29-Jan-10, 12:28
"He can be scottish or Brittish for me, but I bet he is supporting the same teams as me in the Fifa world cup in June"

I note the plural "TEAMS" :)

Algeria, Slovenia and USA by any chance?

tonkatojo
29-Jan-10, 12:43
That is relevant in what way?

Could it be Docker said "What is nationality, but an indicator of where you were born, or where you have chosen to live." :confused

Amy-Winehouse
29-Jan-10, 12:47
Algeria, Slovenia and USA by any chance?

LOL Any team with a Rangers player in it- Bougherra - Algeria ,
Edu , Beasley- United States . Not bothered about Slovenia tbh;)

Oh & Spain for the tourney, England will get to the semis imo .

Green_not_greed
29-Jan-10, 13:06
Lots of good posts here!

As I said, he is both Scots and British. Scots vs British is not really what this is about. Its about the BBC's lack of consistency depending on how well the man is playing!

BINBOB
29-Jan-10, 13:07
Aye. He's only British when he's winning.....

When he gets thumped and then goes on to give one of his legendary personality filled interviews, he seems to revert to being Scot again. Weird that.;)

Totally agree...Born in Dunblane...he is Scottish and only british when he loses.
Just as Tim Henman[I like him] was English when winning and british when losing!!!

Come on Andy...u great Scotsman!!!;):D

BINBOB
29-Jan-10, 13:09
It reminds me of Kenneth Wolstenholme's commentary of the European Cup final in May 1967. When Celtic went down 1-0 to a penalty, they were a Scottish team, when they equalised they were a Scottish team, when they won the match, all of a sudden they were the "First British Team " to win the the Cup!:roll:

Same guy, previous year stated that the "English" Union Jack was flying proudly over Wembley Stadium when England won the World Cup!:eek:
Exactly as my late dad always said........but he supported any brit in any sport........not me though!!!!;)

gleeber
29-Jan-10, 13:10
Lots of good posts here!

As I said, he is both Scots and British. Scots vs British is not really what this is about. Its about the BBC's lack of consistency depending on how well the man is playing!

Well you see I just don't notice that inconsistancy and if it is there then it is the BBCs prejudices and anyone who gets upset about it must at some level feel hard done by?
Is that likely to leave a chip on the shoulder? I would say possibly.

BINBOB
29-Jan-10, 13:10
He's British. Happens to have been born in Scotland but he's British all the same.

Many Scots seems to have a chip on their shoulder with the issue of whether he's called Scottish or British in commentaries. The chip is entirely on your shoulders and quite frankly it's boring now.

Andy Murray probably couldn't give a flying sausage about where he originated from when he's on the court. He's playing for himself first and foremost and then maybe he's playing for his country - Great Britain.

No CHIPS on my shoulder,just egg/beans!!!Drat,.;):lol:

BINBOB
29-Jan-10, 13:12
I see myself as English because I was born there but it doesn't define who I am. If I was asked what nationality I am I would say British.

I'll explain why I believe that many Scots get narky every time Andy Murray (and other athletes etc) are described as anything other than Scottish.
IMO it's not down to being proud of Scotlands achievements as would be claimed by many, it's down to this chip that some Scots have about what they see as an injustice by the English. They shouldn't perceive it that way but they do.

Still no sign of those elusive CHIPS!!!;)

porshiepoo
29-Jan-10, 13:23
ROFL

What utter tosh!

The Germans, the French??? 'Foreigners' in general..

Who does the English NOT have a chip on their shoulder about?

chip, chip, great big fat CHIP. :lol:

IMO English do not have a chip on their shoulder about the French or German. The English people do not look for and analyse every single comment made about them and then moan and gripe about it, especially when it's based on paranoia and / or an inferiority complex anyway.

I'm not saying that all English people are chip free it's just that it isn't a part of their everyday life to look for injustices that Scotland has made against them in the past or the present.

Boozeburglar
29-Jan-10, 13:43
The Scots are world reknowned for their open hearts and outward looking mentality.

They say behind every great man there is a great woman, well I am not sure about that.

What I am fairly certain of is that behind most of the major long lived achievements of modern Britain you will find a Scot or two.

I have spent a deal of time with Germans and French, and just like the Scots I have spent time with there is no such thing as an inferiority complex.

If you care to look up what that means, you will find it applies much more to people who rely on false notions to elevate themselves.

Look no further than the English as a nation for evidence of a severe inferiority complex.

They have spent so long being 'British' they really have no idea how to be anything else, so all their efforts to assert 'Englishness' are hollow.

Perfectly natural, given the loss of an empire that was thought of as their own, regardless of how untrue that was.

Is the Queen Scottish or English?

I would be perfectly happy to be rid of her.

Maybe your attitude engenders a reaction in Scottish people you deal with that lends you this view on them.

Flashman
29-Jan-10, 14:10
The Scots are world reknowned for their open hearts and outward looking mentality.

They say behind every great man there is a great woman, well I am not sure about that.

What I am fairly certain of is that behind most of the major long lived achievements of modern Britain you will find a Scot or two.

I have spent a deal of time with Germans and French, and just like the Scots I have spent time with there is no such thing as an inferiority complex.

If you care to look up what that means, you will find it applies much more to people who rely on false notions to elevate themselves.

Look no further than the English as a nation for evidence of a severe inferiority complex.

They have spent so long being 'British' they really have no idea how to be anything else, so all their efforts to assert 'Englishness' are hollow.

Perfectly natural, given the loss of an empire that was thought of as their own, regardless of how untrue that was.

I would be perfectly happy to be rid of her.

Maybe your attitude engenders a reaction in Scottish people you deal with that lends you this view on them.

That is pure drivel, selective history and looking back through tinted glasses.

Us Scots have a very dark history within the British Empire as well, namely with regards to the slave trade and the exploitation of people for pure profit taken straight back into Scotland.

The Scottish Merchant class was notorious for its greed.

The history's of nations is not black and white, there are good and bad in every nation.

I actually think to attack the English and make fun of them because they are struggling to deal with the weakning of the union is crass and shallow.

We are forgetting how many Englishmen stood side by side with us in arms defending this island when Europe was on the brink of another dark age.

Or do we Scots refer to them as British during the war?...maybe English if we lost ;)

Boozeburglar
29-Jan-10, 14:16
I actually think to attack the English and make fun of them because they are struggling to deal with the weakning of the union is crass and shallow

Well I guess I am not the expert when it comes to crass and shallow..

Green_not_greed
29-Jan-10, 14:21

Probably more German than anything else...... as far as I remember the House of Windsor came about towards the end of WWI because they changed their family name from Sachsen-Coburg.

Bazeye
29-Jan-10, 14:41
Probably more German than anything else...... as far as I remember the House of Windsor came about towards the end of WWI because they changed their family name from Sachsen-Coburg.

Before she was born, so I guess shes English.

Bazeye
29-Jan-10, 14:46
Nice to hear were all hanging on to our national identities here, wether its British, English or Scottish. In a few years time we'll probably all be classed as European (Atlantic sector). The EU.......paahh!!!

northener
29-Jan-10, 16:32
Bluster and flagwaving..what a load of crap it really is.

Going back to Elizabeth, she is Queen through the Stuart lineage and their links to the Hanover line (cousins, actually). When Queen Anne died the nearest suitable relative was a Hanover...I think this was part of the Act of Settlement IIRC.

So in a British context, it could be argued that Elizabeth represents the Scots by lineage more than the Engerlish.

Anyway, like I said, it's a load of nationalist tosh no matter what way you look at it. If more people expended energy upon moving forward instead of wittering on about past atrocities, double dealings and whose great granfather did what to whom - then we'd be a lot better off.
Leave all that crap to the Serbs, Croats and Bosnians...they're experts at whipping up historical hatred.[disgust]

Green_not_greed
29-Jan-10, 16:36
I agree completely, Northerner. This was supposed to be a grump about the BBC changing their description of AM's nationality.

I never mentioned the English. God bless 'em!

But I did mention the Germans. Once. Think I got away with it, though.....

Phoebus_Apollo
29-Jan-10, 17:39
Andy Murray is Scottish - to me the word British is synonymous with English - after years of repression and BBC debasement who can blame us Scots for wanting independence and a national hero would be great to boot.

JimH
29-Jan-10, 20:11
Having lived in Scotland on several occasions for several years, I usually find the Scots a quiet reserved people, (apart from the occasional drunk).
I have yet to see a picture of Mr Murray with his mouth shut.

George Brims
29-Jan-10, 21:00

Oh no, Wolstenholme was worse than that. He stated that Celtic were the first ENGLISH team to win the European cup. It very nearly ended his career. He was a crap commentator in any case.

crayola
29-Jan-10, 23:37
I have yet to see a picture of Mr Murray with his mouth shut.
What on earth do you mean?

http://i50.tinypic.com/2m6tz05.jpg

Boozeburglar
30-Jan-10, 04:46

Well it beats the times when 'we' used to arrive on any shore and declare it was British, and if they did not like it we would shoot a few of them..

Amy-Winehouse
30-Jan-10, 13:04
Oh no, Wolstenholme was worse than that. He stated that Celtic were the first ENGLISH team to win the European cup. It very nearly ended his career. He was a crap commentator in any case.

Thats bad, everyone knows theyre an Irish team :eek:

bluechesse
30-Jan-10, 16:00

Why did this thread degenerate in to a Scottish vs English debate almost immediatley? The question was is he Scottish or British, and the inference (correct in my view) was that the BBC discribe his nationality differently depending on whether he is winning or loosing.

There is no chip on my shoulder, Im quite well aware that Im a british citizen, and Im glad of the fact, as Im quite sure that Scotland could not survive with out England, but thats another debate all together....... The point is, he DOES get called British when he wins, and he DOES get called Scottish when he looses. Have a look at the back pages of the papers next time he gets beatin in a semi, I fairly certain somewhere along the lines you will see "Scot crashes out of major tournement" or somthing similar. This has nothing to do with Scots with imaginary chips on their shoulders, its simply the way its reported in the media.

What I can see it that it's only the Scots who notice this. So, for all the British citizens out there who were not born in Scotland, and who have not seen this rather slanted way of reporting the mans sporting prowess, and wish to accuse the Scots of having big huge massive enourmous fat chips on our shoulders, maybe you should take a minute to think about why you have not noticed it. Maybe, just maybe, its not JUST the Scots with a chip.

Hopefully this will not fuel any further Scotland vs England arguements, as thats certainly not what its intended to do.

From a Scot with a chip on both shoulders, so perfectly balanced!

tonkatojo
30-Jan-10, 17:25
Why did this thread degenerate in to a Scottish vs English debate almost immediatley? The question was is he Scottish or British, and the inference (correct in my view) was that the BBC discribe his nationality differently depending on whether he is winning or loosing.

There is no chip on my shoulder, Im quite well aware that Im a british citizen, and Im glad of the fact, as Im quite sure that Scotland could not survive with out England, but thats another debate all together....... The point is, he DOES get called British when he wins, and he DOES get called Scottish when he looses. Have a look at the back pages of the papers next time he gets beatin in a semi, I fairly certain somewhere along the lines you will see "Scot crashes out of major tournement" or somthing similar. This has nothing to do with Scots with imaginary chips on their shoulders, its simply the way its reported in the media.

What I can see it that it's only the Scots who notice this. So, for all the British citizens out there who were not born in Scotland, and who have not seen this rather slanted way of reporting the mans sporting prowess, and wish to accuse the Scots of having big huge massive enourmous fat chips on our shoulders, maybe you should take a minute to think about why you have not noticed it. Maybe, just maybe, its not JUST the Scots with a chip.

Hopefully this will not fuel any further Scotland vs England arguements, as thats certainly not what its intended to do.

Get in touch with the BBC and complain if you's have a grievance, I'm not sure if it will make any difference but at least you's will be asking the people who are doing it, perhaps a "points of view" question and post the result on here.:)

BINBOB
30-Jan-10, 19:18

Name 1 irishman in the present team!!!:roll:;)

Green_not_greed
30-Jan-10, 20:33

Thanks Bluecheese.

For those posting about complaining to the BBC, perhaps if in the BBC's eyes Andy Murray is to be British (which is fair enough) then we should ask the BBC to promote the British football team in this years World Cup......

charlie
31-Jan-10, 02:01

http://www.celticfc.net/home/players/firstTeam.aspx

Young Mr Darren o' Dea perhaps - what's the prize??
Born Dublin 4/2/1987

Aaldtimer
31-Jan-10, 04:39

The team that won the European Cup were 11 home grown Jocks, all born within a 30 mile radius of Glasgow, apart from one!
I doubt if it's been done since by any nation, or ever will be again!;)

crayola
31-Jan-10, 14:33
My son has just told me that they were all born within 30 miles of Glasgow. Which one do you think wasn't?

Phill
31-Jan-10, 14:46
I blame the French!

Phill
31-Jan-10, 14:48
Well it beats the times when 'we' used to arrive on any shore and declare it was British, and if they did not like it we would shoot a few of them.. :)

I think this could be a good tradition to bring back, be a bit of good sport, what-oh chaps.

:evil

aaahhh, when the world was pink.....

porshiepoo
31-Jan-10, 14:54
I changed my mind. He's Scottish ;):lol:

weeboyagee
31-Jan-10, 15:52
Scottish to the core - through and through.

And the English can call him whatever nationality they like whilst they're busy trying to find someone in their country to climb up the tennis ladder as far and replace him - it's the fact that the English don't have someone as far up the world rankings that have them commenting like this.

On the other hand - give the media control to the Scots and we'll correct the whole issue. I dare Westminster on that one.

English and Scots in the local pub the other night - brilliant and very LOUD debate - and you should have heard the level of debate and language that was being used to make the points about the Scots and the English on the same kind of thread - it was absolutley racist - but you know this - the laughter and the ability to have at and get the craic about the football, sport, hadrians wall, 1314 etc, was so refreshing it puts the whole thing into context - we're all Jock Thamsan's bairns - but post on the org like the craic we had and and it would shut down within the blink of an eye.

WBG :cool:

Alan16
31-Jan-10, 16:16
My son has just told me that they were all born within 30 miles of Glasgow. Which one do you think wasn't?

They all were: http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/may/25/newsid_5071000/5071020.stm

Also, well done to Murray today - he gave it a good shot, but Federer was just on fire.

Aaldtimer
31-Jan-10, 16:49

Ah, memory hold the door!:(
I really can't remember which one it was.
That link was from the time of the victory.
I think it was later found that one player was a bit further afield...not that much further actually, down the bottom of Ayrshire IIRC.:confused

Boozeburglar
31-Jan-10, 17:13
Bobby Lennox was born in Saltcoats, but I think it is just about in the 30 mile limit.

Amy-Winehouse
31-Jan-10, 17:49

Niall McGinn
Pat McCourt
Aiden Mcgiddy
Darren Odea

Now name the scot in the present team- Brown doesnt count as hes injured .

charlie
31-Jan-10, 18:20
Niall McGinn
Pat McCourt
Aiden Mcgiddy
Darren Odea

Well I am sure Mrs McGeady would say her bairn wee Aiden....he was born in Glasgow

Leanne
31-Jan-10, 19:07
They called him British today - even with the loss. I think this thread is now mute ;)

Boozeburglar
31-Jan-10, 20:19
Well wait for the papers tomorrow. We will see.

;)

ducati
31-Jan-10, 21:37
Yep, He's Scottish

Bazeye
31-Jan-10, 23:52
Who cares, its only tennis.

crayola
01-Feb-10, 00:06
Bobby Lennox was born in Saltcoats, but I think it is just about in the 30 mile limit.
My son says you're right and he knows everything there is to know about Celtic.

Saltcoats is indeed about 30 miles from here.

Alan16
01-Feb-10, 01:19
My son says you're right and he knows everything there is to know about Celtic.

Saltcoats is indeed about 30 miles from here.

By road it's what? A mile or two more than 30. As the crow flies it must be closer to 20-25 miles.

northener
01-Feb-10, 13:19
...........English and Scots in the local pub the other night - brilliant and very LOUD debate - and you should have heard the level of debate and language that was being used to make the points about the Scots and the English on the same kind of thread - it was absolutley racist - but you know this - the laughter and the ability to have at and get the craic about the football, sport, hadrians wall, 1314 etc, was so refreshing it puts the whole thing into context - we're all Jock Thamsan's bairns - but post on the org like the craic we had and and it would shut down within the blink of an eye.

WBG :cool:

Hit the nail on the head there WBG, I've had some blistering face-to-face taunting in the pub and on the motorbike forum I go on by my Jockenese chums. Half the people on here would never be seen again if they had to take on some of the more 'robust' posts I've had to endure.:Razz
One of the lads on Skye should be given the title of Poet Laureate Of Anti English Insults for his innovative and ruthlessly funny attacks. Brilliant fun.

FEB and proud of it.

BTW Murray is now definitely Scotch.[lol]

scotsboy
01-Feb-10, 14:58
Well I am sure Mrs McGeady would say her bairn wee Aiden....he was born in Glasgow

As were his parents I understand, but he felt compelled to choose his nationality as IRISH.

bluechesse
01-Feb-10, 15:08
FEB and proud of it.

BTW Murray is now definitely Scotch.[lol]

Scotch is Whisky. He's Scottish [lol]

northener
01-Feb-10, 15:47
Scotch is Whisky. He's Scottish [lol]

This is tooo easy:Razz

charlie
01-Feb-10, 15:47
As were his parents I understand, but he felt compelled to choose his nationality as IRISH.

You can't actually choose your nationality...tho he may qualify for 2 passports. The fact that he was born in Scotland makes him Scottish.

McGeady's paternal grandfather was Irish....hence he qualified to play for Ireland. As a young player, he represented the Scottish national team, up to Under-15s level and played for the Scottish Schoolboys national team until he joined Celtic.

As to his choice of which team to play international football for, I believe at the time Scotland actually missed out because of daft bureaucracy at the SFA (and Celtic). That said, Mr McGeady was free to choose to play for Ireland and in restrospect was probably a wise decision on his part, given the current state of Scottish international football.

The original poster asked to name somebody Scottish in the current Celtic team. Mr Mcgeady qualifies as this whatever country he CHOOSES to play international football for.

Invisible
01-Feb-10, 16:02
Niall McGinn
Pat McCourt
Aiden Mcgiddy
Darren Odea

he said name 1 not 4, but point well proven.

Boozeburglar
01-Feb-10, 16:36
You can't actually choose your nationality

You can. Nation only means the people who make up the population of a country unless you are talking about ethnicity.

charlie
01-Feb-10, 17:09
You can. Nation only means the people who make up the population of a country unless you are talking about ethnicity.

Now that is indeed opening up another can of worms which could qualify for a whole thread on its own :)

You are of course quite correct in your definition of nation...tho the definition of the nationality of the persons within that state is not directly related.

My understanding/thought are as follows

I would personally define nationality as the status of belonging to a particular nation by birth, or naturalization. This is a legally defined construction.

Ethnicity is a social construction. Members of an ethnic group share common cultural traits (might be colour,religion or even they all choose to wear yellow bunnets).

Hence an ethnic group is an identifiable minority within the larger nation-state.

veritas
01-Feb-10, 17:29

If hes that proud to be Irish why doesnt he go and earn a living there and play for one of the Irish lot

Amy-Winehouse
01-Feb-10, 18:57
You can't actually choose your nationality...tho he may qualify for 2 passports. The fact that he was born in Scotland makes him Scottish.

McGeady's paternal grandfather was Irish....hence he qualified to play for Ireland. As a young player, he represented the Scottish national team, up to Under-15s level and played for the Scottish Schoolboys national team until he joined Celtic.

As to his choice of which team to play international football for, I believe at the time Scotland actually missed out because of daft bureaucracy at the SFA (and Celtic). That said, Mr McGeady was free to choose to play for Ireland and in restrospect was probably a wise decision on his part, given the current state of Scottish international football.

The original poster asked to name somebody Scottish in the current Celtic team. Mr Mcgeady qualifies as this whatever country he CHOOSES to play international football for.

Wise decision ???!!!! Hows that then ? He still isnt going to the World cup for another 4 years at least, He shouldve picked Scotland , he was born 4 miles from Hampden.

charlie
01-Feb-10, 19:17
Scotland COULDN'T pick him because of their own ancient rules about schoolboy football.

Ireland did.

Did we expect him to hang around and turn down international opportunites till the SFA sorted out their rulebook?

Scotland should have given him the opportunity i fully agree.

(Though he was the width of Thierry Henry's hand of going to the World Cup in SA with Ireland....unfortunately Scotland never got so close)

Amy-Winehouse
01-Feb-10, 19:24
Scotland COULDN'T pick him because of their own ancient rules about schoolboy football.

Ireland did.

Did we expect him to hang around and turn down international opportunites till the SFA sorted out their rulebook?

Scotland should have given him the opportunity i fully agree.

(Though he was the width of Thierry Henry's hand of going to the World Cup in SA with Ireland....unfortunately Scotland never got so close)

Ireland didnt take their chances, Like Roy Keane said it was their own fault- Aidsy missed a sitter at the end of normal time IIrc. Robbie Keane missed a sitter in extra time.

Scotland had a dud manager- hope Levein can change things but back to topic,
Andy Murray was British on Five Live at lunch time BUT the commentators were downing him :eek: Man hes just played the best of all time in the sport & they were slating him!!!!??

Federer paid Murray a compliment when he said it had been a very hard final to win & Murrays time is coming, he has youth on his side so its not all bad

BINBOB
01-Feb-10, 19:31
he said name 1 not 4, but point well proven.

She said 1....but 4 still does not make it an IRISH team!!!;)

Boozeburglar
01-Feb-10, 19:34
You are of course quite correct in your definition of nation...tho the definition of the nationality of the persons within that state is not directly related.

Actually it is.

I would personally define nationality as the status of belonging to a particular nation by birth, or naturalization.

Then you CAN choose your nationality! You changed your mind?

charlie
01-Feb-10, 20:09
"Then you CAN choose your nationality! You changed your mind?"

By process of naturalisation...then yes I must agree.
Boozeburglar wins by a technical knockout :)

Amy-Winehouse
01-Feb-10, 20:24
She said 1....but 4 still does not make it an IRISH team!!!;)

Make that 5, sHELLIK have signed Robbie Keane on loan:roll:

BINBOB
02-Feb-10, 12:39
Make that 5, sHELLIK have signed Robbie Keane on loan:roll:

Still NOT an IRISH team!!!;)

scotsboy
02-Feb-10, 17:25
Still NOT an IRISH team!!!;)

Well Dr Joseph M Bradley, senior lecturer in Sports Studies at the University of Stirling and author of Ethnic and Religious Identity in modern Scotland and three Celtic Minded books would disagree Binbob.

McGeady is Irish, he considers himself Irish and I am happy he plays his football for the Republic of Ireland.

BINBOB
02-Feb-10, 17:30
Well Dr Joseph M Bradley, senior lecturer in Sports Studies at the University of Stirling and author of Ethnic and Religious Identity in modern Scotland and three Celtic Minded books would disagree Binbob.

McGeady is Irish, he considers himself Irish and I am happy he plays his football for the Republic of Ireland.

Surely to be an IRISH team ,proper,it must have 11 plus FULL IRISH men...........?????:roll:that is not the CELTIC team........;)

scotsboy
02-Feb-10, 17:41
By your logic (sic) Chelsea are not an English team.

northener
02-Feb-10, 17:44
Surely to be an IRISH team ,proper,it must have 11 plus FULL IRISH men...........?????:roll:that is not the CELTIC team........;)

Binbob, I think the 'Irish' reference goes back to the clubs origins. Hence they are an 'Irish' club, not really to do with the present lineup.

Mind you I know sodall about footie, just chucking me two penceworth in.:D

Metalattakk
02-Feb-10, 19:12
The team that won the European Cup were 11 home grown Jocks, all born within a 30 mile radius of Glasgow, apart from one!
I doubt if it's been done since by any nation, or ever will be again!;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_European_Cup_Final

Steaua Bucharest in '86 won the European Cup with only Romanian players. No idea about their birthplaces being 'within 30 miles' or any of that meaningless crap.