PDA

View Full Version : Oh dear if your in the highlands read this and weep !!

Alice in Blunderland
28-Jan-10, 20:19
I know we all at times go on about paying a premium for postage in the Highlands but this statement on ebay is a first.

I DO NOT POST TO THE HIGHLANDS OR ABROAD UK MAINLAND ONLY!

THANKS FOR LOOKING AND HAPPY BIDDING.

ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE MESSAGE ME AND I WILL GET BACK TO YOU ASAP!

My question is How good is your geography ?? :confused

Heres the ebay listing !

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BNIB-SYLVANIAN-FAMILYS-APPLEWOOD-COTTAGE-LOOK_W0QQitemZ320480540947QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Do ll_Bears_Dolls_EH?hash=item4a9e20f913#ht_704wt_116 6

George Brims
28-Jan-10, 20:29
I resisted the temptation to send that person a rude message (but it was close). I might have got carried away also with a critique of the spelling and grammar, as well as the ridiculous starting price for a broken toy.

macbreeza
28-Jan-10, 20:31
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

I have had this problem with actual supposedly reputable companies who charge more if your postcode starts with KW it so winds me up!

I could rant on and on but i guess we all feel the same :lol:

macbreeza
28-Jan-10, 20:39
I couldn't help it! I logged into my ebay just to ask a sarcastic question. I asked if the Highlands were part of the british mainland because I live here and i am worried i have been tricked and there is some false land area covering the highland island!

lotsoflovelorraine
28-Jan-10, 20:42
Hi

i sent him an email lets c if they reply;)

it ticks me right off that we have to pay more postage for KW[evil]

Bartlett Boy
28-Jan-10, 20:47
this is one my pet hate some folks charge more to post to highlands this is wrong because it still costs the same using royal mail and i so inform them unless they use a carrier so try saying to them it still same cost usualy works ive found

jazzyr1
28-Jan-10, 20:49
i too have asked an awkward question,do i live on the mainland or highland on the mainland,and as it was to be sent via royal mail what differnce does it make anyway,i will post my reply

camor
28-Jan-10, 21:15
I have also sent a question about the postage. I was once quoted £25 by a cycle shop in Wales to send me a reflective belt for my daughter on her scooter, the belt was £9.99!!! I told them to stick it where it would never reflect again.

sam
28-Jan-10, 21:24
It seems they have had second thoughts about posting to highlands.....
this was at the bottom of the listing...........
:confused

Questions and answers about this item
Q: Why wont you send to the Highlands. It is part of the mainland and costs the same?
A: Very sorry my mistake will send Kyly

girnigoe
28-Jan-10, 22:26
oooooooooooooooo..... check the bottom of the listing now :)

I AM AWARE OF THE FACT THIS LISTING HAS BEEN POSTED ON

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=97767

IT IS NOT MY FAULT COURIERS CHARGE MORE TO SEND TO THE HIGHLANDS

I WILL SEND THIS ITEM VIA ROYAL MAIL TO THE HIGHLANDS FOR THE P&P PRICE ON THE LISTING

redeyedtreefrog
28-Jan-10, 22:32
He's shouting the information at me.

Phill
28-Jan-10, 22:36
eBay be warned, the OUTRAGED .org's sleeping giant has awoken.

:evil

the World is for our taking!

M R
28-Jan-10, 22:45
It seems to be the e-bay trend for quite some time to charge more to post items up here.

On a positive note, i am now more inclined to buy locally so will be good for some shops when i have some money :confused

Blarney
28-Jan-10, 23:05
[quote=macbreeza;651794]Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

I have had this problem with actual supposedly reputable companies who charge more if your postcode starts with KW it so winds me up!

I guess the problem is the KW (Kirkwall) postcode and the assumption is that we are in the Orkney Isles.

balto
28-Jan-10, 23:17
I resisted the temptation to send that person a rude message (but it was close). I might have got carried away also with a critique of the spelling and grammar, as well as the ridiculous starting price for a broken toy.
someone aske the question, why they woulnt post to the highlands as it was on mainland, they have admitte to making a mistake and they will post to the highlands, so everyone get your bids in now.[lol]

bluechesse
28-Jan-10, 23:20
Not just an ebay problem I fear. And Im afraid the seller is correct,it's NOT her fault that courier companies charge more to send items up here. However she has tried to be helpful by sending it via royal mail, so I say well done to her!

I was once refused a mobile phone contract though, on the basis that the company did not post outside the UK mainland. When I pointed out that I actually lived o the mainland, the wifie on the end of the phone helpfully informed me that I was obviousley mistaken, and that in actual fact my place of abode was Orkney. Thank god someone finally pointed that out to me! 25 years under the impression that I lived in Wick!:lol:

M R
28-Jan-10, 23:27
Was there any mention of her using a courier ?

Says 2nd class royal mail and she is still charging £5

bluechesse
28-Jan-10, 23:35
Was there any mention of her using a courier ?

Says 2nd class royal mail and she is still charging £5

Her reply to the question mentions courier costs. And it says larger items would be delivered my parcelmonkey.

Im not sure how big a Sylvanian is (or even what it is!) but I think for novelty value, I'de quite like my parcels to be delivered by monkey:lol:

Mr P Cannop
28-Jan-10, 23:45
Not just an ebay problem I fear. And Im afraid the seller is correct,it's NOT her fault that courier companies charge more to send items up here. However she has tried to be helpful by sending it via royal mail, so I say well done to her!

I was once refused a mobile phone contract though, on the basis that the company did not post outside the UK mainland. When I pointed out that I actually lived o the mainland, the wifie on the end of the phone helpfully informed me that I was obviousley mistaken, and that in actual fact my place of abode was Orkney. Thank god someone finally pointed that out to me! 25 years under the impression that I lived in Wick!:lol:

we are on the uk mainland

bluechesse
28-Jan-10, 23:46
we are on the uk mainland
Thanks for that. You dont by any chance work for Vodafone do you?

Mr P Cannop
28-Jan-10, 23:48
no sorry dont work for them

Green_not_greed
28-Jan-10, 23:49
I checked out the advert and there is a question posted at the bottom:

Q: Why wont you send to the Highlands. It is part of the mainland and costs the same?
A: Very sorry my mistake will send Kyly

Also

On 28-Jan-10 at 21:09:40 GMT, seller added the following information:
I AM AWARE OF THE FACT THIS LISTING HAS BEEN POSTED ON

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=97767

IT IS NOT MY FAULT COURIERS CHARGE MORE TO SEND TO THE HIGHLANDS

I WILL SEND THIS ITEM VIA ROYAL MAIL TO THE HIGHLANDS FOR THE P&P PRICE ON THE LISTING.

Fair enough? Probably

Bazeye
28-Jan-10, 23:53
What about Mainland, Orkney, Whats that all about? :confused

Fran
29-Jan-10, 00:19
I can't get furniture i ordered delivered as i am not on the mainland. they wont even deliver to inverness as that is not on the mainland. I told them Inverness is a city and wick is a large town, they dont beleive me and say they dont deliver to islands.

ducati
29-Jan-10, 00:28
I can't get furniture i ordered delivered as i am not on the mainland. they wont even deliver to inverness as that is not on the mainland. I told them Inverness is a city and wick is a large town, they dont beleive me and say they dont deliver to islands.

Isn't coming from lodnon is it? They never know where anywhere is. Wick being a large town is pushing it a bit.:D

Dog-eared
29-Jan-10, 00:41
The last time I had this discussion with a supplier they said they worked on a ticket system. One ticket for a courier to the north of England, one to Inverness and one to Thurso. Three areas, three tickets.
The "Islands " thing was not a concern to them, it was the courier's system they went by.
I had parcelforce deliver my goods for 30% less than the suppliers quote, even though the suppliers had a price from parcelforce already !!

It seems that couriers are taking advantage of suppliers' lack of geographical knowledge. Doing it from this end, the couriers cant cheat so easily !

Gronnuck
29-Jan-10, 07:35
[quote=macbreeza;651794]Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

I guess the problem is the KW (Kirkwall) postcode and the assumption is that we are in the Orkney Isles.

:eek: If the KW postcode is such a problem has anyone ever asked Royal Mail to change it? There have been instances in the past where postcodes have been changed for geographic reasons and given the problems highlighted by Caithness residents it should be possible to request a change. If not 'KW' what? 'HI' is free. :confused

fender
29-Jan-10, 08:11
Blarney - KW is not Kirkwall post code but Wick. That is how we are KW1. You have fallen into the perception that it is. I to at one time believed that KW was Kirkwall but I was put right

tonkatojo
29-Jan-10, 09:56
[quote=Blarney;651880]

:eek: If the KW postcode is such a problem has anyone ever asked Royal Mail to change it? There have been instances in the past where postcodes have been changed for geographic reasons and given the problems highlighted by Caithness residents it should be possible to request a change. If not 'KW' what? 'HI' is free. :confused

"HI" might be free but the dimwits will think that's "Highland&Islands".

tonkatojo
29-Jan-10, 10:02
Blarney - KW is not Kirkwall post code but Wick. That is how we are KW1. You have fallen into the perception that it is. I to at one time believed that KW was Kirkwall but I was put right

Beggers belief why they put the initials the wrong way round if this is true, I am not saying I disbelieve you.

Venture
29-Jan-10, 10:24
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KW_postcode_area

According to above the KW postcode is known as the Kirkwall postcode. Why can't we have a WK postcode, there isn't one anywhere else. :roll:

Niall Fernie
29-Jan-10, 10:35
I have been contacted by the seller on E-bay and due to the level of hate mail that has been sent to them I am closing this thread.

I understand and have experienced the frustration caused by our little postcode problem. This frustration would be better vented against the big companies who should know better but not an individual seller on e-bay.

Again whilst I understand the frustration I am also very dissapointed that some members of our forum have stooped so low as to send personal abuse to someone who doesn't live here and simply didn't know the full facts of our situation.

I'm pretty sure that the first message pointing out our being a part of the mainland and that the Royal Mail would deliver here at no extra cost would have been enough.