PDA

View Full Version : A man has admitted trying to murder a 60-year-old woman in an Aberdeen park ...

Boozeburglar
28-Jan-10, 02:18
I cannot believe a man who went on to admit his intentions as reported would have ever been assessed as suitable for release.

We need to do something about this, we really do.

Venture
28-Jan-10, 09:02
So this is how the courts etc. protect the public from monsters like this. Unbelievable that this man was ever released.[disgust]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/8479269.stm

Stavro
28-Jan-10, 17:58
I've just read the report now, because there was no reference given by the OP.

Yates did this while the judge was waiting for a "risk assessment report" before sentencing him for another crime.

Now, after this sickening attack, the court is apparently waiting for another "risk assessment report."

This isn't due to be ready until APRIL.

What happens if the "risk assessment report" states that Yates is a misunderstood dyslexic who was somehow provoked and had a deprived childhood (or words to that effect), since the clowns who write these things always listen to the liars and criminals, rather than pay any attention to the victims?

The law seems to be little more than a tax collection agency I think. :mad:

Boozeburglar
28-Jan-10, 18:08
I've just read the report now, because there was no reference given by the OP

The content is not particularly uplifting, so I did not link to it as it is all too easy to click without thinking. I did not want to have to add that the content was possible upsetting.

:)

Stavro
28-Jan-10, 18:12
The content is not particularly uplifting, so I did not link to it as it is all too easy to click without thinking. I did not want to have to add that the content was possible upsetting.

Thought you just forgot it. :)

Boozeburglar
28-Jan-10, 18:26
Not like me to do that.

Check out the rules regarding Links to Other Websites..

I usually link to things I am referencing, but on this occasion I am talking about what happened, not a story about what happened.

Stavro
28-Jan-10, 19:58
Not like me to do that.

Check out the rules regarding Links to Other Websites..

I usually link to things I am referencing, but on this occasion I am talking about what happened, not a story about what happened.

Not quite so, old chap, since you clearly referenced something that had been "reported."

I cannot believe a man who went on to admit his intentions as reported would have ever been assessed as suitable for release.

We need to do something about this, we really do.

Your thread was simply meaningless without the link, but it's on track now. :)

Boozeburglar
28-Jan-10, 21:01
I am not referring to a singular story/report about what happened, but what happened itself.

You don't see the difference?

The 'reports' are in all the papers and dozens of sites.

With a profile as high as that, I don't think anyone capable of reading would find it hard to find coverage on their news sites of choice if they had not heard about it already.

It is up to me if I don't choose to add a link, it does not render my thread meaningless.

This pedantic clap trap is meaningless though!

Stavro
28-Jan-10, 21:05
I am not referring to a singular story/report about what happened, but what happened itself.

You don't see the difference?

The 'reports' are in all the papers and dozens of sites.

With a profile as high as that, I don't think anyone capable of reading would find it hard to find coverage on their news sites of choice if they had not heard about it already.

It is up to me if I don't choose to add a link, it does not render my thread meaningless.

This pedantic clap trap is meaningless though!

Dear, dear, this is certainly a rattle-out-of-the-pram diatribe. I note that Venture provided the link that you omitted, so all's well that ends well.

I'm all for getting back to the serious issue that I thought you wanted to talk about, though.

Boozeburglar
28-Jan-10, 21:23
Seems that your response to my disagreeing with you is to suggest I am throwing my toys out of the pram.

I gave an answer as to why I did not link the story directly.

You don't agree with me, that is fine by me.

The story appears all over the internet. I happened to lift my thread title from the BBC site, but that is not where I first read about it.

I don't think that report was particularly measured, and a bit sensasionalist.

I was interested to hear views on the matter, but you seem only interested in carrying on a childish debate about the merits of posting links to news items if we want to discuss them.

Should I link to the 10 different places I read about this before posting?

Idiotic.

The economy seems to be coming out of recession. Do I need to quote my sources, or is that topical enough?

Stavro
28-Jan-10, 22:00
I was interested to hear views on the matter,...

Is that why, out of my whole post, you only picked up the one brief reference to the OP?

I've just read the report now, because there was no reference given by the OP.

Yates did this while the judge was waiting for a "risk assessment report" before sentencing him for another crime.

Now, after this sickening attack, the court is apparently waiting for another "risk assessment report."

This isn't due to be ready until APRIL.

What happens if the "risk assessment report" states that Yates is a misunderstood dyslexic who was somehow provoked and had a deprived childhood (or words to that effect), since the clowns who write these things always listen to the liars and criminals, rather than pay any attention to the victims?

The law seems to be little more than a tax collection agency I think. :mad:

The economy seems to be coming out of recession. Do I need to quote my sources, or is that topical enough?

Off topic, mate. :D

Venture
28-Jan-10, 23:25
My apologies BB for jumping in I just thought you had forgotten to post the link. I promise not to be helpful to others again.;)

gleeber
29-Jan-10, 00:04
That case is awful.
Whoever made the decisions to free him will be horrified. It must be very difficult for people who are involved at the sharp end of assessing someones suitability to be released. Maybe the guy was pefectly coherant, even though he had committed an offence and obviosly whoever made the assessment got it wrong. Its horrific but how else do you stop it. Do you lock everybody up who you come across and is a bit weird?
Apparently a majority of prisoners serving time have a history of mental illness. Most of those illnesses would have been picked up when they were very young children.
I suppose until governments start spending large amounts of money on the causes of mental illness cases like those will happen.

Boozeburglar
29-Jan-10, 00:05
It seems that this country needs to learn some real lessons.

Why oh why after Tobin is this still happening again and again?

I cannot believe this case was ever borderline in any way, shape or form.

Hope someone is found responsible for this and there is some change in the system.

Could someone stupid enough to state the intentions he did actually have been clever enough to pass scrutiny for release?

Until the system is changed radically, I am moving to the idea that we should be informed of where these people live. If one or two end up the victims of vigilantes so be it.

No great loss.

gleeber
29-Jan-10, 00:17
That's a pretty extreme opinion BB and although I'm not saying your wrong I will say I dont want to live in a country where vigilantes are given any kind of respect.
We have the answers to most of the problems but there's no will to carry them out. People have known for over a hundred years that voilent people are formed in their early childhood. There may be exceptions but it would be unusual not so see a pattern in a murderers history where you could say He wasnt going to end up doing what he did.
I think it's the only way to go.
It would be a radical change but everyone in a community would be involved.

Boozeburglar
29-Jan-10, 00:25
Well, you would not be walking over a bridge that was unsafe without deciding to ignore the warning signs.

Where are the warning signs to tell you you have a sex beast living half a mile from your home?

Boozeburglar
29-Jan-10, 00:29
That's a pretty extreme opinion BB and although I'm not saying your wrong I will say I dont want to live in a country where vigilantes are given any kind of respect.
We have the answers to most of the problems but there's no will to carry them out. People have known for over a hundred years that voilent people are formed in their early childhood. There may be exceptions but it would be unusual not so see a pattern in a murderers history where you could say He wasnt going to end up doing what he did.
I think it's the only way to go.
It would be a radical change but everyone in a community would be involved.

That is a very good point, and I have said elsewhere that more profiling may be part of the answer to improve the Disclosure/CRB system.

The problem we face with deep profiling is in ensuring it does not prejudice those who are not going to act out their past.

How do we differentiate?

Current offending history is one way, and I would happily see those who have a history like this guy did being locked up permanently.

gleeber
29-Jan-10, 00:38
That is a very good point, and I have said elsewhere that more profiling may be part of the answer to improve the Disclosure/CRB system.

The problem we face with deep profiling is in ensuring it does not prejudice those who are not going to act out their past.

How do we differentiate?

Current offending history is one way, and I would happily see those who have a history like this guy did being locked up permanently.

If ever there was to be a major shake up in the attitiude to mental health everyone would have to be involved in one way or another. Its so easy to say the wrong thing at the wrong time and not know the effect we are haviing on someone else.
Thats why I'm a bleeding Liberal but I widna complain to the mods about a fox on a fence.

Aaldtimer
29-Jan-10, 04:16
The question here is why he was on the loose after? :-

"Two days before the incident he was put under a court order banning him from accosting females after a sex attack, the High Court in Edinburgh heard.
Sentence was deferred for a full risk assessment order. "

What is there to assess after he has served three prison sentences for similar offences? :confused

Stavro
29-Jan-10, 21:11
What is there to assess after he has served three prison sentences for similar offences? :confused

Exactly. I do not see what there is to assess at all, except for whether or not he ever gets let out.

Boozeburglar
29-Jan-10, 21:20
Totally agree. It is not as if he was a first time offender and it was out of character.

It seems that each crime is weighted evenly.

I think a second offence should attract much more time.

With crimes like this, it should be a huge length of time.

You won't catch me going on about anyone's human rights in this case, except the victims'.