PDA

View Full Version : Weather for weekend?

cherokee
27-Jan-10, 16:09
Just wondering if anyone has heard the forecast for weekend; is it really meant to be more snow?

Maybe Tugmistress could help out with a wee forecast? ;)

roadbowler
27-Jan-10, 16:19
aye, more snow coming. Thinking about it already too. I keep popping in and out all day trying to get things done out there and bouts of wind keep sweeping in with the rain that wants to be snow already! Sair on the pus and, good excuse for goin in for another cuppa!

cherokee
27-Jan-10, 18:11
Thanks for that Roadbowler !

I did begin to think that I'd imagined the snow coming yet again !!:(

chaz
27-Jan-10, 18:16
Im dreading it,hope its not as bad as last time,waited 3 weeks to get oil as our road just fills in.At least got oil this time round :)

Boozeburglar
27-Jan-10, 18:26
I would check the forecasts on Saturday, they might have changed by then..

:)

suzyq
27-Jan-10, 19:14
Met office have issued an advisory. - Hope this link works.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/he/he_forecast_warnings.html

If not try www.metoffice.gov.uk (http://www.metoffice.gov.uk)

You can also subscribe to email alerts for weather warnings - great time saver if you have to live around weather conditions.

Tugmistress
27-Jan-10, 22:10
Hi
yes it's looking like we will be in for more snow, it wont be another 3 wweeks though, it should start warming up again later tuesday :)
obviously the higher the ground and more inland there may be more falls than here on the coast, but i don't think we will get any great dumpings of the stuff.

hope that helps

chaz
27-Jan-10, 22:15
Hi
yes it's looking like we will be in for more snow, it wont be another 3 wweeks though, it should start warming up again later tuesday :)
obviously the higher the ground and more inland there may be more falls than here on the coast, but i don't think we will get any great dumpings of the stuff.

hope that helps

Thank you,pleased not as long as last time :)

Turquoise
27-Jan-10, 22:15
Well I would honestly say that your forecasts are far superior to anything the Met Office come up with...bunch of amateurs!! :lol:

Kodiak
27-Jan-10, 23:19
Tugs is the best, her forcasts are better and more accurate then the Met Office. Three Cheers for Tugs. !!

Turquoise
27-Jan-10, 23:33
Tugs is the best, her forcasts are better and more accurate then the Met Office. Three Cheers for Tugs. !!

Pip, pip......

Tugmistress
27-Jan-10, 23:45
thanks, i do try to get it right, though i am sometimes wrong :o

changilass
27-Jan-10, 23:49
Like when? prey tell.

Phill
27-Jan-10, 23:50
Oh just look out the bloody window fer crissake.

If it's white it's snowin, if it's wet it's rainin, if it's dark stay in bed.

shazzy
28-Jan-10, 00:47
I was due to go down south to visit family for a late xmas at the beginning of Jan and got 'snowed off',due to try again end of Feb so it's bound to snow again!!:(

Boozeburglar
28-Jan-10, 18:13
Well they have already changed their 'forecasts' so you are to expect snow tonight.

Like I say, don't expect any forecasts to be accurate.

;)

Tugmistress
28-Jan-10, 18:49
Should start early hours of the morning and be rain by tuesday evening/night. as i say no great dumpings just light showers with the odd heavy moment thrown in to confuse people lol

i do *try* BB :o

Boozeburglar
28-Jan-10, 19:05
Weather forecasting is much less reliable than we are led to believe, hopefully people can see that for themsleves and rely more on their own observations.

I was brought up to understand the skies around me, and react accordingly. Something that probably saved my life at least a couple of times so far.

Tugmistress
28-Jan-10, 19:31
I don't think anyone up here would disagree with you about the reliableness of the forecasts that are relevant to us!
in my defense i don't claim to get it right all the time, i also state that i wont go further than five days ahead because of the way the weather patterns change almost hourly, and i will only use the 12z charts as the 00z, 06z and 18z charts are not as accurate for up here and i worked that out by watching the charts for a few months (each set) and seeing what actually happened. Even five days out, which isn't a long time in the big scheme of things is a lifetime in the terms of weather and i am only about 75% sure on that distance, by the time it gets to 3 days out i'll stick my neck out and say that that is what will happen give or take a few hours on my forecasts.

You fancy teaching me about the skies BB?

Boozeburglar
28-Jan-10, 19:35
Yeah, sure.

Look out your window. Is it dark?

That is night.

If it changes before tomorrow let me know.

;)

Venture
29-Jan-10, 09:13
Well Tugs you were right, it's looking a bit white this morning.;)

cherokee
29-Jan-10, 10:19
Thanks to everyone who replied to my query. :)

Very helpful information from you all and, as always, especially from you Tugmistress.

Spot on with your forecast. A wee skifting of snow here, just outside of Wick.

ducati
29-Jan-10, 10:25
Weather forecasting is much less reliable than we are led to believe, hopefully people can see that for themsleves and rely more on their own observations.

I was brought up to understand the skies around me, and react accordingly. Something that probably saved my life at least a couple of times so far.

Do tel? stories of daring do? :eek:

Boozeburglar
29-Jan-10, 10:28
Even five days out . . . i am only about 75% sure on that distance, by the time it gets to 3 days out i'll stick my neck out and say that that is what will happen give or take a few hours on my forecasts

75% is pretty impressive

where is it you make these forecasts?

Tugmistress
31-Jan-10, 18:44
75% is pretty impressive

where is it you make these forecasts?

i do them on here when asked for or privately by pm if asked for when people are travelling to/from caithness and are not sure whether to go/come or not due to the media forecasts.

sorry for late reply, am in shetland at the moment :D

cherokee
01-Feb-10, 16:35
Just a wee bump here - anything else gonna be dropping on us in the disguise of being "white" ?:lol:

Any words for us Tuggs would be appreciated ?

Tugmistress
01-Feb-10, 20:00
Hi Cherokee
just managed to have a look at the charts, first time since thursday, tuesday is still looking like a brief thaw but then wednesday the cold upper air comes back with a vengeance and it will finally disappear later on thursday. Yes mr frost may make an appearance if the nights are clear - i'll be back home on thursday so i'll be able to check the charts a bit more often for you all then

Paula

Dadie
01-Feb-10, 21:24
I am one of the pests that was very greatful to tugmistress for providing weather forecasts and road conditions over the christmas bad weather:lol:
I pestered her nearly daily for weather updates as I thought I would have a scary trip to Inverness!
Needless to say my fears were unfounded but I was pleased to get the updates that were more reliable/accurate for caithness!

cherokee
02-Feb-10, 09:14
Thanks for that Tugs !;)