PDA

View Full Version : How To Fix The Ring Of Death - 360

celtic1888
26-Jan-10, 18:15
Turned on my 360 today and got the ring of death..gutted..
anyhoo i have looked up on it and a know that if its under warrenty you can send it away blah blah.. however any of you clever orgers know how to fix it your own way?

ShelleyCowie
26-Jan-10, 18:28
If your Xbox is still under warranty then i advise sending it away. We have gone through alot of 360's and one that was out of warranty we tried the "towel trick" and it made it work for another 2 days. Not worth it.

I would just send it away...also you will get an extended warranty on the ring of death.

To save you phoning the foreign phone lines do it online.

ducati
26-Jan-10, 18:31
Hey Whaaa?

joxville
26-Jan-10, 18:33
Check this thread for info: http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=65491&highlight=xbox

Iffy
26-Jan-10, 19:05
Hey Whaaa?

That's exactly wot I was thinking Ducati !!!:eek:

ShelleyCowie
26-Jan-10, 19:26
That's exactly wot I was thinking Ducati !!!:eek:

Its a fault that unfortunately most Xbox 360's have. Normally when you turn your xbox on, the light goes green. But the ring of death shows as red. Basically meaning your xbox has popped its clogs and it has to be sent to be repair to Germany (correct me if im wrong cos i cant remember if its Germany).

It can take weeks - months to get repaired and sent back to you unfortunately.

It is a very common problem, its microsoft...you expect nothing less really. :confused

And yes.....i still love my xbox! :Razz

sharona
26-Jan-10, 19:32
i had the ring ov death phoned xbox the next day it was collected and returned with in a week

joxville
26-Jan-10, 19:47
You are correct Shelley, it is Germany that it goes to. I've known of four machines, including my son's, and they were all returned within three weeks.

I'd advise Celtic1888 to read the thread that I linked to earlier, read about my experience with the helpline. :(

ShelleyCowie
26-Jan-10, 19:49
You are correct Shelley, it is Germany that it goes to. I've known of four machines, including my son's, and they were all returned within three weeks.

I'd advise Celtic1888 to read the thread that I linked to earlier, read about my experience with the helpline. :(

Ahh yay i was right! lol

When the ring of death started it took up to 6 weeks to get your xbox returned but now the turnover is faster. The last one we sent away a year and a half ago got returned to us within 2 weeks.

I agree the helpline arent very helpful. The link to do it online is in your thread that i gave to u before.

caithnesslad
26-Jan-10, 20:12
Red rings on the xbox can also mean that your HD Lead/AV Cable isn't plugged in correctly - Worth a look.

A_Usher
26-Jan-10, 20:37
Ive used the old towel trick also, got a month or two out of it. We are on console number 9, which is an Elite. We have two 360's, and the other one was home repaired, which obviously invalidates the warranty. The heat sink was the problem in our other box, which was easily repaired.

I would send it back, they are on a 7 day turn around at the moment.

The Angel Of Death
27-Jan-10, 12:39
Red rings on the xbox can also mean that your HD Lead/AV Cable isn't plugged in correctly - Worth a look.

That gives you the 4 segments flashing red and nor the 3 which means its proper broke

Towel trick works well for fixing it or even causing it if your needing it replaced because of another fault just keep an eye on it incase you burn the house down ;)

But if its in warrenty just get it exchanged less hassell all round etc

Flashman
27-Jan-10, 13:14
Buy a Playstation 3!!!

Bazeye
27-Jan-10, 13:31
I thought this thread was going to be about the morning after effects of a vindaloo. :eek:

The Angel Of Death
27-Jan-10, 13:46
I thought this thread was going to be about the morning after effects of a vindaloo. :eek:

Toilet roll in the fridge or freezer if its that bad ;)

celtic1888
27-Jan-10, 14:19
i bought the xbox from a friend,and they registed it.
how long does the warrenty last for?
is there a way of checking how long i have left on it?

The Angel Of Death
27-Jan-10, 14:30
The RROD is covered by a 3 year warrenty only way i think is to phone them up and see either that or try to register it again on the microsoft website if the serial is used they will soon tell you

M R
27-Jan-10, 14:31
Buy a Playstation 3!!!

They break down aswell, alot.

Phill
27-Jan-10, 14:53
Why don't you stop being a bunch of saddo's and bin these silly arcade games.
Get outside and do something real, we live in a fantastic place with endless scope for healthy outdoor activities and yet all you want to do is watch Jet Set Willy jump up and down on yer telly.

Get a life!

, the batteries 'av run out in me wii controller again!

The Angel Of Death
27-Jan-10, 14:53
They break down aswell, alot.

Nowhere near as much as the 360 less than 3 % or 4 % of them suffer from the YLOD (yellow light of death) the question to ask is simply do you know someone that HASNT had the RROD with there 360 ?

Given i had my first ps3 for almost 3 years before it broke with the YLOD (and i think it might have even been self inflicted) where as in comparison i had 3 xbox's within just over a year period all with the RROD and the main reason i got rid of the 360 that i had as well

ShelleyCowie
27-Jan-10, 14:56
i bought the xbox from a friend,and they registed it.
how long does the warrenty last for?
is there a way of checking how long i have left on it?

Go on to the microsoft website and put in the serial number from the xbox. It will tell you on there. But remember there is extended warranty on machines that get the RROD. :Razz

The Angel Of Death
27-Jan-10, 15:06
Get outside and do something real, we live in a fantastic place with endless scope for healthy outdoor activities and yet all you want to do is watch Jet Set Willy jump up and down on yer telly.

Get a life!

Think as the saying goes if you aint got something constructive to add don't bother posting if the topic is so sad and pathetic why bother to grace us "saddo's with your great presence

Then again if life is so great and real outside why bother using the org as well? Some people could class this forum as full of a bunch of saddo's with nothing better to do

zappster
27-Jan-10, 16:25
Just before xmas My sons Xbox was switching off after approx an hour playing it... It wasnt the 4 redlights (red ring of death)but 2-3 so i bit the bullet & tried fixing it masell..After Massive amounts of dust cleaned oot hey presto it has worked fine ever since! There are plenty of guides online how to open the Xbox which was the trickiest part of the job.

The Angel Of Death
27-Jan-10, 16:29
You can buy a tool that clips onto the front if it that pops all the brackets at the same time otherwise it can be a nightmare with a screwdriver

A_Usher
27-Jan-10, 16:41
You can buy a tool that clips onto the front if it that pops all the brackets at the same time otherwise it can be a nightmare with a screwdriver

Its easy enough to make a tool for the job, just get a spare plastic lid, the ones that come with DVD packs, measure out against the holes, cut it to shape, and then its an easy job to open it up. Inside you will need a hex style screwdriver or ratchet to take out the screws.

sharona
27-Jan-10, 17:12
i do some thing right but always go back to my xbox 360

andrew.bowles30
27-Jan-10, 18:26
Hi there I'm matthew and I have had experience in this field what you first need to do is to find out what the error code is you do this by:
1. turn the xbox on and wait for the red lights to come on
2. then press the cd eject button and the wireless together button which is located at the side memory card slots
3. 4 lights flashing means 0
3 lights flashing means 3
2 lights flashing means 2
1 light flashing means 1
then post the code to here
oh and when you press the buttons the first time you get the first number you will have press the buttons again to go onto the next number you will do this four times from Matthew Bowles

Flashman
27-Jan-10, 22:21

Get a life!

Yeah well said chap, wudna catch me playing those silly console games. Im an outdoors man through and through. I sometimes like to do a little bit of Parkour around about market square. Maybe do the odd 6 mile run and a little bit of swimming in Loch Watten. Keep myself outdoors and active.

BTW where do you live? Cos it certainly cant be Caithness!!

celtic1888
27-Jan-10, 22:31

Get a life!

If i asked for yer opinion i would throw you a bone.....

also matthew, code is 0020..

Phill
27-Jan-10, 22:33
Yeah well said chap, wudna catch me playing those silly console games. Im an outdoors man through and through. I sometimes like to do a little bit of Parkour around about market square. Maybe do the odd 6 mile run and a little bit of swimming in Loch Watten. Keep myself outdoors and active.

Only the odd 6 mile run! I'd expect at least 10 mile a day. Parkour, what gurly rubbish...."ooh watch me jump over this wall".

:Razz:Razz

T'was all in jest, I'm quite happy skiing on me Wii, whatever did happen to Doom?

Flashman
28-Jan-10, 13:39
Only the odd 6 mile run! I'd expect at least 10 mile a day. Parkour, what gurly rubbish...."ooh watch me jump over this wall".

:Razz:Razz

T'was all in jest, I'm quite happy skiing on me Wii, whatever did happen to Doom?

Aye you slag the X-box360 fan boys off at your peril, no matter how many times thier bucket of bolts breaks down and they have to wait a few weeks for a new one they still think it is the best thing since sliced bread!