PDA

View Full Version : Should we too consider this?

Kenn
26-Jan-10, 17:26
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8480161.stm

I find no problem with the various scarves that are worn by muslim ladies,after all it is not so long ago that covering one's head when going to church was considered correct.
I do how ever have some reservations about the full veil and have often found it very difficult to communicate with some one who's face I cannot see as their expression is hidden from view.

ducati
26-Jan-10, 17:35

I find no problem with the various scarves that are worn by muslim ladies,after all it is not so long ago that covering one's head when going to church was considered correct.
I do how ever have some reservations about the full veil and have often found it very difficult to communicate with some one who's face I cannot see as their expression is hidden from view.

No, everyone knows the Frogs are racist

northener
26-Jan-10, 18:05
Ridiculous idea. I like the bit in the report where it states that they haven't got the guts to go for a 'full ban' for fear of a backlash from Islam.

In other words, they don't want the veil but are so dedicated to their own idea of 'Liberty' for all that they won't follow it through....[lol]

Why not ban the Turban and the Hasidic Shtriemel as well? They are religious garments worn exclusively by males....must be bad.

Metalattakk
26-Jan-10, 18:11

Nah, I think they should be allowed to do what they want, as long as they respect the rules of society.

For instance, I'd get in trouble if I walked into a bank wearing a balaclava...

northener
26-Jan-10, 18:22
Nah, I think they should be allowed to do what they want, as long as they respect the rules of society.

For instance, I'd get in trouble if I walked into a bank wearing a balaclava...

Which shows the level of perceived 'fear' we live in these days.

I'm on a motorbike forum and one of the regular gripes that comes up is fuel stations who go into 'panic mode' at the first sign of a biker wearing a lid......:roll:

I'm not convinced there's been a swathe of burkah wearing bank robbers rampaging across this septic isle, but I await developments.....

Angela
26-Jan-10, 18:22
Why not ban the Turban and the Hasidic Shtriemel as well? They are religious garments worn exclusively by males....must be bad.

I think the turban could well be already banned in France... in any case, a man's ID has to show him bareheaded.

I have a Sikh friend who went on holiday from Edinburgh to Paris with his family recently. He had a lot of trouble getting into the country because his passport photo shows him wearing his turban, as he always does. No problem matching the real man with the photo you'd think :roll: but the customs officers weren't happy about it.

A bit like saying 'yes sir, we see you've got a beard, but it might be a cunning disguise, so we need to see a photo of you without a beard!' [para][para]

Boozeburglar
26-Jan-10, 18:43

I take it you find it hard making telephone calls then?

The actions of the French play into the hands of those who would seek to claim they are being victimised, for in this case they surely are.

Kenn
26-Jan-10, 18:52
With regard to telephone calls,I do not talk faceless machines, avoid call centres like the plague and if I get even so much as the opening chord of Vivaldi's Four Seasons the phone is put down faster than it was picked up!

joxville
26-Jan-10, 18:59
Look on the brightside, if they fart at least it's only them that are going to suffer. :D

Boozeburglar
26-Jan-10, 19:08
Well Lizz, I can only tell you that in my experience it has never hit me as a problem, and I worked in the NHS and similar settings for years in London and Manchester for years as well as studying alongside women wearing all sorts.

:)

horseman
26-Jan-10, 19:14
With regard to telephone calls,I do not talk faceless machines, avoid call centres like the plague and if I get even so much as the opening chord of Vivaldi's Four Seasons the phone is put down faster than it was picked up!

But it you gotta' talk to someone-then you gotta' hold on to get someone to come across,what a poxy place to be.:(

Phill
26-Jan-10, 19:15
It's a silly idea and pretty much unenforceable really.

I'd hate to think of the UK contemplating something like this, look at the section 44 fiasco.

Can you imagine the magnitude of a cockup the British legislative process would make of it, and then screwed up delivery by PC Numpty and is powercrazed mates.

They could specifically rule out burkhas, that wouldn't be PC. It'd have to be anything that is obscuring the face.

It would end up to be an offence to have a beard in a public place and off to guantanamo if your a beardy and taking photo's.

Except if you are of a Middle Eastern appearance or mildly Asian in looks, then the coppers wouldn't touch you for fear of ethnic tensions or a march on Wootton Bassett.

Once again the it'd be the normal people in the streets getting harassed and we'd be playing into al Qaeda's hands.

bekisman
26-Jan-10, 19:26
Many years ago I used to grow a full beard over the winter and shave it off in the Summer - I asked about this at Passport House and advised to send additional photo of me with Beard.. So inside the passport next to shaved face it says "see page 17" - anyone else got two photos to show full identity?

Leanne
26-Jan-10, 19:53
Try telling a child to be PC... My 3 year old nephew ran around a supermarket screaming in terror as there was a 'monster' - who was in fact a woman wearing full black face veil. Poor soul was frightened to death :(

But I do not agree that they should be banned - it is the womans choice to wear them. And some do so very proudly! It isn't about degrading of women - it is about them being proud of their history and culture. Unfortunatley it doesn't help with integration...

tonkatojo
26-Jan-10, 20:24
Try telling a child to be PC... My 3 year old nephew ran around a supermarket screaming in terror as there was a 'monster' - who was in fact a woman wearing full black face veil. Poor soul was frightened to death :(

But I do not agree that they should be banned - it is the womans choice to wear them. And some do so very proudly! It isn't about degrading of women - it is about them being proud of their history and culture. Unfortunatley it doesn't help with integration...

They must be ugly s to want to hide behind the Burka. ;)

Turquoise
26-Jan-10, 20:51
Well, I used to know lots of Muslim girls from different mosques and they all had differing ways of wearing the headscarf - some didn't even wear it at all. It really depended upon how strict their mosque and/or families were and how they actually felt comfortable to wear it. Many of them said it was natural for to them to wear it, as to them it's just another piece of clothing. Many said that back home in Pakistan, most of the young girls go about with no headscarf on and that girls tend to wear it more in Britain :confused

So, I think leave it up to the individual, but I agree it can certainly make integration more difficult as there will always be people who don't like it.

redeyedtreefrog
26-Jan-10, 22:06
But black is so slimming, and the UV protection is second to none.

Phill
26-Jan-10, 22:14
Unfortunatley it doesn't help with integration...

Integration is a two way street, with education and understanding.
I don't know what is covered in Religious Education at schools these days but I hope it is a damn site more than I had, other faiths were barely touched on and certainly didn't cover the why's and wherefores of the clobber people wear.

The UK is it's own biggest enemy with the sodding PC brigade getting offended on other peoples behalf.
A friends daughter attended a school in the inner city of Manchester, an area called Hulme and Moss side, what a melting pot of culture, Race & Faiths. And come Christmas she was sent home with a letter from teacher and her Christmas Cards that she took to hand to her mates.
It was deemed offensive for her to hand these out at the school as it was attended by many other faiths, Hindu, Muslim etc. etc.

However, some months later she came home with Bindi on her forehead. They had been celebrating some Hindu ceremony and everyone took part as a way of integration!

My mate naturally skitzed, as did other parents. I remember it ended up making front page news locally.

I'm thinking this is the truth in the matter!!
:lol:

Boozeburglar
26-Jan-10, 22:18

Again, not the case in my experience. Not at all..

Turquoise
26-Jan-10, 22:24
Integration is a two way street, with education and understanding.
I don't know what is covered in Religious Education at schools these days but I hope it is a damn site more than I had, other faiths were barely touched on and certainly didn't cover the why's and wherefores of the clobber people wear.

Absolutely! When I first moved to Englandshire, I was laughed out the room by a Sikh girl when I asked her what religion she was... It was like I was supposed to have a sixth sense (or sikh sense :roll:) when it came to 'knowing' what religion people were. I explained that where I came from we really had very few people of ethnic origin and that I only knew pretty much what had been taught in RE at school...so not much!

Phill
26-Jan-10, 22:26
Emergency, which service do you require?

Get the polis quick!

nee naw nee naw nee naw schreeeech

ello, ello, ello! What's goin' on 'ere then?

I just seen some wimmin wearin them gurka things, they ran round there...

PC plod goes to investigate.

'evenin ladies 'ave either of you been wearing a Burka?

Oh no officer, not us.

Right sir, can you describe these women please, were they blonde, brunette, red head?

err I didn't see their hair

OK what colour eyes?

err dinnae see them either

look sunshine are you wastin' police time, wait....what's that?

it's me camera

and what have you been doing with that then sir?

err takin pictures, up the strath....of the wildlife like

Wildlife hey! D'you think I was born yesterday, your nicked!

tonkatojo
26-Jan-10, 22:26
Again, not the case in my experience. Not at all..

How are you privy ??

oldmarine
27-Jan-10, 18:14

LIZZ at 84 years of age, I likewise remember when it was fashinable for ladies to cover their heads while in society.