View Full Version : Out of the recession / The Economy

Invisible
26-Jan-10, 13:53
Not quite time for breaking out the bubbly but the future is looking brighter

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8479639.stm

Phill
26-Jan-10, 14:02
Out of recession my bottom!

There are more cuts to come, but after the election of course!

Tom Cornwall
26-Jan-10, 14:55
the instute for statistics say that the UK is officially out of the recession (albeit, not by much)...why then does the media and their so-called economic experts keep talking it down...that'll even slow things down more than ever.. they don't seem to like reporting good news...

bekisman
26-Jan-10, 15:24
the instute for statistics say that the UK is officially out of the recession (albeit, not by much)...why then does the media and their so-called economic experts keep talking it down...that'll even slow things down more than ever.. they don't seem to like reporting good news...

Good news? maybe because it's 0.1%?
Seems we're the last one in Europe to 'come out' - wonder why?:confused

tonkatojo
26-Jan-10, 15:56
Good news? maybe because it's 0.1%?
Seems we're the last one in Europe to 'come out' - wonder why?:confused

Could it be we were shafted more than the rest by the bankers and still are.

bekisman
26-Jan-10, 16:19
Could it be we were shafted more than the rest by the bankers and still are.

"Bankers in the City of London reacted with fury to UK government plans to levy an immediate 50 per cent supertax on banks’ bonus pay-outs"

Love it.

Boozeburglar
27-Jan-10, 00:09
I hope it is shown to be more than the current figures.

Would like a level playing field for the election.

andrew.bowles30
27-Jan-10, 17:33
im not feeling it as a publican we have been hit hard first smoking bans then new licensing laws then pricing what next for the little locac pubs the govement sure wants a lot gone you see less pubs less to police and controle thats my fealing and ive been in the trade since 1983 but had a great cafe in lybster for some years should have stayed in tghat as my pub trade is getting harder less coming in :lol:

oldmarine
27-Jan-10, 18:03
Good to know that you folks are out of the recession. I don't see it so far here in Arizona, USA.

hunter
28-Jan-10, 08:12
I'm no economist, but I believe the Government is waiting for the private sector to start growing again before it wields the axe to the public sector - as tax receipts from business rise again, so spending on public services falls and the Government begins to balance the books again. Least that's the theory, I think.

Scotland has a higher proportion of people working in the public sector than any other part of the UK.

Phill
28-Jan-10, 10:43
The public sector cuts, and all the others, will arrive.....oooh sticks finger in the air......May 7th or soon after me thinks.

Believe me, all that we've seen and heard so far has been softly, softly.
Labour will be telling us we're going into the election with them having taken us out of recession.

They are laughing either way, they loose and they spend the next 4 years blaming the tories for all the cuts. They win they cut cut cut for 4 years and then give everyone a tax break before the the next election.

This country has a lot of money to recoup and it ain't going to be coming back from the banking sector.

Boozeburglar
28-Jan-10, 18:29
Labour will be telling us we're going into the election with them having taken us out of recession.

They have!

:)

ducati
28-Jan-10, 18:42
They have!

Hmm.. Natural course of events I'd say and def. time for a change of Gov.

Maggie would'nt have allowed all this nonsense

Phill
28-Jan-10, 18:52
They have!

I 'av always a bit slow.

tonkatojo
28-Jan-10, 19:12
Hmm.. Natural course of events I'd say and def. time for a change of Gov.

Surely you don't want the tory boys in government, as for "maggie" I despair. :(

sam09
28-Jan-10, 19:17
Now is the time to get us out of The Union and out of europe and be truly independant. Lets get some guts and use Scottish Oil revenue to rebuilt our country

Phill
28-Jan-10, 19:34
Now is the time to get us out of The Union and out of europe and be truly independant. Lets get some guts and use Scottish Oil revenue to rebuilt our country

Like Whitehall will just hand over the oil with keys to independence!

hunter
28-Jan-10, 21:42

Indeed she did!

The recession that occurred in the early 1980s, when much of the manufacturing base was wiped out, was the most severe of modern times until now.

Some even argue that Thatcher was responsible for allowing the financial services sector to replace manufacturing as the engine for growth in the economy.

hunter
28-Jan-10, 21:43

Keep in mind we'd take our pro rata share of the national debt. I'm guessing we'd start off something like £100-200 billion in the red.

tonkatojo
28-Jan-10, 21:51
Keep in mind we'd take our pro rata share of the national debt. I'm guessing we'd start off something like £100-200 billion in the red.

That sobering thought occurred to to me a while back. But what the hell go for it LOL or something like that eh SAM09 ??.

bluechesse
28-Jan-10, 23:32

Regretably, to the best of my knowledge, the rights to all of the oil fields are owned by companies who's head offices are registered in London. So although the oil may well be in waters off Scotland, it's not actually Scottish oil. Even Caithness Oil is registered in London. Although it would appear that they may not be much help anyway......

ducati
28-Jan-10, 23:37
Regretably, to the best of my knowledge, the rights to all of the oil fields are owned by companies who's head offices are registered in London. So although the oil may well be in waters off Scotland, it's not actually Scottish oil. Even Caithness Oil is registered in London. Although it would appear that they may not be much help anyway......

Same thing with all the renewable companies that are suddenly interested in the area-if they are even British-surprisingly, a lot of windmills come from Holland [lol]

ducati
28-Jan-10, 23:48
Indeed she did!

The recession that occurred in the early 1980s, when much of the manufacturing base was wiped out, was the most severe of modern times until now.

Some even argue that Thatcher was responsible for allowing the financial services sector to replace manufacturing as the engine for growth in the economy.

I thought I'd replied to this so if it turns up again-apologies

The Mfg. base was wiped out because pretty much every country in the world could do it better and cheaper. Thanks TUC 'et all.

Therefore we needed financial services to create growth. And I have to say that until recently we did very well as a result. The challenge now is to rebuild the banking system worldwide so we can get back to persuing our dream of freedom and justice for all-sorry too much? :D

Phill
28-Jan-10, 23:51
Same thing with all the renewable companies that are suddenly interested in the area-if they are even British-surprisingly, a lot of windmills come from Holland [lol]

Aye, this is a thread drift which really belongs in the Global Warming Propaganda thread. The investment for the windymills and the like are coming from companies such as Walmart in the states who jet across in a huge private jet (very green considering they could share a flight but hey ho) and has all to do with true eco planet saving moves, just a get rich scheme.

Similarly I think (IIRC) Caithness oil is US backed and maybe owned.

And the oil companies know where their pockets are lined. To start to have to deal with a new Republic, or whatever it would be, with a new set of rules and a new tax regime wouldn't be easy to get support for. Unless you were handing out huge tax breaks which would pretty much rule out any benefit.

sam09
29-Jan-10, 00:16
That sobering thought occurred to to me a while back. But what the hell go for it LOL or something like that eh SAM09 ??.
Whats to stop us but our own sense of cowardliness, All we hear is we could not make it without the tail that wags the dog (England) and the hand-outs we get from them. What a load of bullsh+t, U.K. plc would have sunk without trace with-out the revenue from the Scottish Waters. Never mind we got our own back, we gave them Blair and Brown. Then sent Darling to finish the job.

ducati
29-Jan-10, 10:09
Aye, this is a thread drift which really belongs in the Global Warming Propaganda thread. The investment for the windymills and the like are coming from companies such as Walmart in the states who jet across in a huge private jet (very green considering they could share a flight but hey ho) and has all to do with true eco planet saving moves, just a get rich scheme.

Similarly I think (IIRC) Caithness oil is US backed and maybe owned.

And the oil companies know where their pockets are lined. To start to have to deal with a new Republic, or whatever it would be, with a new set of rules and a new tax regime wouldn't be easy to get support for. Unless you were handing out huge tax breaks which would pretty much rule out any benefit.

I'm not getting involved with that thread-too many paranoid, conspiracy theory nutters

Phill
29-Jan-10, 10:53
I'm not getting involved with that thread-too many paranoid, conspiracy theory nutters

Yeah but they aren't committed to the cause, how many sit there with tin foil on their head like me?

Invisible
29-Jan-10, 12:32
The UK government announced that it is changing its emblem from a Union
Jack to a CONDOM because it more accurately reflects the government's
political stance.

A condom allows for inflation, halts production, destroys the next
generation, protects a bunch of tubes, and gives you a sense of
security while you're actually being screwed.

tonkatojo
29-Jan-10, 12:53
Whats to stop us but our own sense of cowardliness, All we hear is we could not make it without the tail that wags the dog (England) and the hand-outs we get from them. What a load of bullsh+t, U.K. plc would have sunk without trace with-out the revenue from the Scottish Waters. Never mind we got our own back, we gave them Blair and Brown. Then sent Darling to finish the job.

Whilst they were being lumbered with Blair Brown and Darling we were getting the same treatment as they are/were running the UK, where is that getting "our own back". :roll: