PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know about electrics/Car ecu's..

caithnesslad
25-Jan-10, 23:07
Just been having trouble with a car i bought the other month. It's got an unlocked ecu and i'm pretty sure one of the wires must be loose because the car seems to be overfuelling and just backfires if i try to go above 3krpm..

So what i'd like to ask is if there's anyone that knows about car ecu's please drop me a pm and i will pay for you to come look at it :)

theone
26-Jan-10, 01:56
There's a guy in Wick who does the diagnostics, can't remember his name but I'll find out for you.

By 'unlocked' do you mean the ECU has been modded? A bad mod would explain overfuelling. Was it modded on a rollling road?

caithnesslad
26-Jan-10, 01:59
The ecu has been unlocked for mapping points, It's been mapped by Wallace Performance in Aberdeen. I disconnected the battery because i didn't want an airbag to blow off in my face and it seems as though its alterred the settings on the ecu causing it to overfuel.. If you could tell me about the guy with the diagnostics that would be great.

theone
26-Jan-10, 03:10
I'll find out tomorrow and let you know.

To be honest I'd suspect your remapping has been done badly - but I might be wrong.

ECU's do what the carb nozzles on non fuel injected cars used to do, determine the air/fuel ratio. Backfiring would result if their was too much fuel. Maybe the've sacrificed this for more performance? Whoever paid for the remap should be able to let you know.

That said, it could be a failed airflow sensor or one in the exhaust, the diagnostic will let you know.

Does the car have an ECU warning light? Is it on? That normally indicates a failed sensor.

caithnesslad
26-Jan-10, 03:56
Everything was sweet until the battery was disconnected which has maybe put the ecu to some sort of factory setting.

But very true about the sensors.. The EML light comes on if u keep putting a rev on it til it pops and bangs. Then goes out again! If you could find out that would be sweet.

Phill
26-Jan-10, 09:31
Google ecu fault codes and your car make.

Do the paperclip test and then you know where your looking.

upolian
26-Jan-10, 11:50
sounds like a common problem,because your car has after market cams like mine had....throwing a unlocked ecu on the car without having it rolling road isnt wise,as the map mite not suit that specific camshaft/spec you have....campbell gordon in wick uses krypton tuning to set up cars,possibilities are endless.....crank sensor/map(manifold absolute pressure)sensor,faulty lambda,leaking inlet,whats the idle like,check the timing..belt could have slipped a tooth,has it got an adjustable cam pulley..may need resetting

my nova had 285piper cams(fast road rally)2choices,car idles at 800rpm slightly lumpy but when it hit mid range bloomin quick it was,or have a nice idle 1100rpm and it would backfire like mad and down on power through the mid range.

moral of the story id get a pro to look at it incase its more serious than first thought before the engine goes bang:)

after all it is french on high miles :)

upolian
26-Jan-10, 11:56
after reading the replies....the ecu isnt suited to your aftermarket cam's!

id get campbell gordon in wick to have a look at it,him and the son are very good at this!

caithnesslad
26-Jan-10, 12:44
The ecu was working fine and set up well with the car until i had to disconnect the battery which seems to have reset and upset the ecu.

joxville
26-Jan-10, 16:21
This thread is a good reason for us to have a motoring section on the org. :)

theone
26-Jan-10, 16:51
after reading the replies....the ecu isnt suited to your aftermarket cam's!

id get campbell gordon in wick to have a look at it,him and the son are very good at this!

That's him, Campbell Gordon.

caithnesslad
26-Jan-10, 17:39

Agreed.. I wasn't sure where to put it..

That's him, Campbell Gordon.

Phoned him waiting for a call back to find out whats happening.. Definetely fuel related , got told could just need new injectors or a vacuum pipe could be disconnected?

S&LHEN
26-Jan-10, 17:39
Charlie Sutherland in Rae does diagnostics and his computer tells you in an instant the problem, you get a print out and its very cheap for what it does.
Id highly recommend

caithnesslad
26-Jan-10, 17:59
Charlie Sutherland in Rae does diagnostics and his computer tells you in an instant the problem, you get a print out and its very cheap for what it does.
Id highly recommend

Thats ace.. Any chance you could pm me a number for him?

S&LHEN
26-Jan-10, 18:01
yes i ll just find it for you xx

theone
26-Jan-10, 18:33

I don't agree.

It's not very often that threads like this come up so the general forum in perfect.

I would think there's more need for separate windfarm/muslim/immigration forums.

andyw
26-Jan-10, 18:49
Hi give Thomas Rapson a ring he does Remapping For all cars , and power performance tune up 07921379002

caithnesslad
26-Jan-10, 19:24
Isn't he from Sutherland?

I'm not sure if its the mapping now as i've phoned wallace performance and they say the Dastek has a saved memory if u disconnected it for years the settings wouldn't change.

So i've narrowed the possibilites down to :

MAP Sensor
Crank Sensor
Coilpack
Fuel Injectors.

upolian
26-Jan-10, 19:29

I'm not sure if its the mapping now as i've phoned wallace performance and they say the Dastek has a saved memory if u disconnected it for years the settings wouldn't change.

MAP Sensor
Crank Sensor
Coilpack
Fuel Injectors.

as i stated in my reply ;)

also check the TPS/cam sensor

upolian
26-Jan-10, 19:30

MAP Sensor
Crank Sensor
Coilpack
Fuel Injectors.

hes in helmsdale