PDA

View Full Version : Veggies. Why are we so popular here?

ducati
25-Jan-10, 20:34
I've been that way inclined for about 15 years ever since the farmers gave us all BSE.:roll:

I've noticed the ranges of V and Vegan food in local stores is very short compared with the same stores elswhere. I'm all for a big plate of Veg but I'd like a bit of variety.

Stavro
25-Jan-10, 20:42
I've been that way inclined for about 15 years ever since the farmers gave us all BSE.:roll:

I've noticed the ranges of V and Vegan food in local stores is very short compared with the same stores elswhere. I'm all for a big plate of Veg but I'd like a bit of variety.

Tescos had a wide range of vegetarian foods when they first came up, but it seems to be vastly reduced now, I think.

ducati
25-Jan-10, 20:49
Tescos had a wide range of vegetarian foods when they first came up, but it seems to be vastly reduced now, I think.

I agree it was better a couple of years ago.

_Ju_
25-Jan-10, 22:43

The farmers did not "give us all BSE". BSE came about through the use of animal protein in the concentrates fed to cattle. Economic pressure to produce cheaper meat and a readily available source of animal protein, nd voila.
The farmer did not have the choice of buying cattle nuts excluding animal ingredients and even if they did, at the time it was not known to do harm. It is like expecting the pre war smoker to stop smoking because of the risk of cancer.

horseman
25-Jan-10, 22:47
The farmers did not "give us all BSE". BSE came about through the use of animal protein in the concentrates fed to cattle. Economic pressure to produce cheaper meat and a readily available source of animal protein, nd voila.
The farmer did not have the choice of buying cattle nuts excluding animal ingredients and even if they did, at the time it was not known to do harm. It is like expecting the pre war smoker to stop smoking because of the risk of cancer.

I had an idea there was a reply to that post somewhere but could'ent get my mind round it -I think you got it for me.

Kevin Milkins
25-Jan-10, 23:40

That would be down to supply and demand, if plenty of people were buying vegetarian food then you can be assured that Tesco would be filling the demand for it.

Phill
26-Jan-10, 00:56
Me does be confuddled here.

If you are a Veggie, buy vegetubbubles.
If you are a meaty, by cow, sheep, pig etc.
If your a beery, buy beer.
If your a wino, buy wine.

I kinda do all of the above but all mixed up, ish.

Generally speaking we buy all the component parts for our meals, including meat, and we put them together how we please to suit our tastes.
Now for us to go veggie should we choose that path, all we need to do is stop the meat and alter a few odd n' ends like stock cubes.

So I refer to my first line....buy vegetububbles.

No?
:confused

macbreeza
26-Jan-10, 12:44
I am not a vegetarian but I don't like the taste of most meat, that's the reason I don't eat it nothing to do with animal loving or bse or that. I have always been a fussy meat eater. I only really like chicken and white fish and sometimes beef when it is not served as steak or roasted ie lasagne etc.

What I don't get is why some vegetarians buy fake meat products?? You get all sorts of products that look like meat based products but aren't. (quorn does some and I think Linda Macartney range does too) i don't think it tastes that good having tried it in the past, not much flavour and I suspect a fair few of the vegetarian ready meals would contain a good bit of salt, additives etc.

I would be interested in the percentage of veggies who do it for ethical reasons and those who do it for health reasons, would the animal lovers eat the fake bacon? I don't know......i just find it interesting finding out the reasons behind the choices.

Last thought........vegetarians who eat fish?! what is that about?! Surely they are the ones doing it for health reasons and are they really a vegetarian?

ducati
26-Jan-10, 13:07
I am not a vegetarian but I don't like the taste of most meat, that's the reason I don't eat it nothing to do with animal loving or bse or that. I have always been a fussy meat eater. I only really like chicken and white fish and sometimes beef when it is not served as steak or roasted ie lasagne etc.

What I don't get is why some vegetarians buy fake meat products?? You get all sorts of products that look like meat based products but aren't. (quorn does some and I think Linda Macartney range does too) i don't think it tastes that good having tried it in the past, not much flavour and I suspect a fair few of the vegetarian ready meals would contain a good bit of salt, additives etc.

I would be interested in the percentage of veggies who do it for ethical reasons and those who do it for health reasons, would the animal lovers eat the fake bacon? I don't know......i just find it interesting finding out the reasons behind the choices.

Last thought........vegetarians who eat fish?! what is that about?! Surely they are the ones doing it for health reasons and are they really a vegetarian?

My opinion: Eat what you want and don't worry about labels.

My opinion: I don't trust Farmers to put my health above profit.

My opinion: General animal welfare on farms is an issue.

My opinion: Farming methods in this area are considerably more
sustainable, welfare oriented and wildlife friendly than many other areas of the UK.

Phill
26-Jan-10, 13:08
You get all sorts of products that look like meat based products but aren't.

I don't get that either, sausages made from wood chippings 'n stuff. But each to their own.

I remember visiting some friends of wifeys once, they served up a bolognaise type of thing, while I was eating it I thought this tastes really weird and the texture was wrong, very wrong. But being a good guest I ate it up and hoped the meat wasn't dodgy.
Afterwards the host asked if we enjoyed it, and being a good young lad then not wanting to offend I lied and said I did.

AHAA! she said, that was qourn in that not meat! I should have slapped her for feeding me such muck!

ducati
26-Jan-10, 13:16
I don't get that either, sausages made from wood chippings 'n stuff. But each to their own.

I remember visiting some friends of wifeys once, they served up a bolognaise type of thing, while I was eating it I thought this tastes really weird and the texture was wrong, very wrong. But being a good guest I ate it up and hoped the meat wasn't dodgy.
Afterwards the host asked if we enjoyed it, and being a good young lad then not wanting to offend I lied and said I did.

AHAA! she said, that was qourn in that not meat! I should have slapped her for feeding me such muck!

Why muck? I eat this sort of stuff all the time it tastes fine. I often get that reaction though-weird:roll:

Also I'd like to bet there is more wood "chippings 'n stuff" in a pork sausage that a quorn one

Phill
26-Jan-10, 13:22
Why muck? I eat this sort of stuff all the time it tastes fine. I often get that reaction though-weird:roll:

I define anything I wouldn't normally eat as muck!! :lol:

I don't understand fake meat products, it seems a bit nonsensical to me. Unless your a meat fan but have welfare / animal rights issues.

I think that was my only experience with qourn and the biggest put off for me was the texture, yuck.

ducati
26-Jan-10, 13:27

I don't understand fake meat products, it seems a bit nonsensical to me. Unless your a meat fan but have welfare / animal rights issues.

I think that was my only experience with qourn and the biggest put off for me was the texture, yuck.

OK. OK. I'm not trying to convert anyone, its not a religion its just what I eat.

What I really wanted to test with this thread is why there is such a strong reaction whenever you tell anyone your a veggie-I still wonder why?

Phill
26-Jan-10, 13:38
I've no problem with veggies, it's a non issue for me. But I am confused by the qourn fake meat thing.

I can also understand that there may be some food products that would appear to be vegetarian on the surface but have meat derived additives in. I hate additives in general especially the amount of salt and MSG that goes into things (never stops me getting a takeout though!!). We cook as much as possible from scratch, and even use our own grown stuff, even got some piggies getting ready for dispatch.
But pigs aside, surely general foodstuffs aren't a problem?

If we were to have veggies round for dinner we wouldn't concoct something from qourn or other such stuff, we'd cobble something else together.

ducati
26-Jan-10, 14:25
Just had my meat free bacon style rasher lettuce and tomato sandwich for lunch-mmm

Phill
26-Jan-10, 14:31
Just had my meat free bacon style rasher lettuce and tomato sandwich for lunch-mmm

Is that the Bac-Os muck? :lol:

Wifey got some of them for some reason months ago, still in the cupboard unopened!

Stavro
26-Jan-10, 21:31
I've no problem with veggies, it's a non issue for me. But I am confused by the qourn fake meat thing.

This is a very good point. I, too, wonder why the manufacturers try to make their product taste like pieces of cut up animal. I suppose that the idea is to lure carnivores away by saying that this and that tastes "just the same"? Has not worked with you, though, and I do not think that it is going to work with many carnivores. :)

Ricco
26-Jan-10, 21:36

Have to agree with you, Phill. I can never understand why veggies have to have their mock meat look and taste like meat. If I have nut roast I want it to taste like nut roast, not fake meat loaf.

ducati
26-Jan-10, 23:59
Have to agree with you, Phill. I can never understand why veggies have to have their mock meat look and taste like meat. If I have nut roast I want it to taste like nut roast, not fake meat loaf.

Why do you even bother to think about it? ;)

Vistravi
27-Jan-10, 01:00
Variety is the spice of life ;)

roadbowler
27-Jan-10, 01:34
yep, fish eating vegetarians. That's me for the past 15 years. I take fish about 2 or 3 times a month and it's usually smoked mackerel or smoked salmon in a salad. For people that like labels it's called pesce-vegetarian. I just tell people if it doesn't have legs, i'll eat it. I do and don't understand the meat look a like stuff. Firstly, in my experience it doesn't really taste like meat. As phil has pointed out. Vegetarian mince stuff is mingin! Hubby who is a meat eater tried to impress me once with a veggie chili con no carne and dearie me it was terrible! ;-) my daughter doesn't eat meat nor has she ever had it but, likes those veggie sausage thingies every now and again. Anyways, vegetarians have been making nut roast cutlets, tofu burgers and lentil sausages since the hippies left woodstock. Not meant to taste like meat it's only tesco that thinks they should somewhat resemble a taste like meat. How long have the meat-a-like products been out? Not long. Certainly not when i stopped eating anything with legs. Tonite, for dinner i had asparagus, sprouting broccoli, chestnut mushrooms, sliced carrots, courgette, cherry tomatoes, cashews and whole cloves of garlic sauteed in a bit of butter with a dash of lemon juice, drop of hemp oil, chopped chives and a twist of black pepper on top of grilled halloumi next to a huge herby spicy salad with a big dollop of houmous! This my favourite type of meal and fairly light. You feel energised after eating it, not bogged down and feeling like you need to go for a sleep. ;-)

Stavro
27-Jan-10, 02:49
You feel energised after eating it, not bogged down and feeling like you need to go for a sleep. ;-)

That was a very energizing and nutrient packed meal. Meat has the opposite effect because of the acid content, which creates fatigue and therefore makes you feel heavy and like sleeping.

Phill
27-Jan-10, 10:24
That was a very energizing and nutrient packed meal. Meat has the opposite effect because of the acid content, which creates fatigue and therefore makes you feel heavy and like sleeping.

Nah, it's the bottle of red I 'av wiv me shteak! :lol:

northener
27-Jan-10, 11:03
My partner doesn't eat meat and hasn't for about 20 years - she just isnt bothered about it. She eats a lot of quorn pieces done in a variety of ways - and I'll eat it too, quite happily. I find that some of the meat substitute items for sale are bloody awful, but not Quorn.

I think the reason why we have meat 'substitutes' on our dish is that it (meat) has been central to the Northern European diet for a long time - so psychologically speaking we are 'conditioned' in our expectations of what a meal should look like. Remove the meat and suddenly it looks like half your meal has gone AWOL...because it has.:Razz

We are changing in our attitude, with the modern infusion of cooking styles and ingredients from all over the world, the notion of what we expect our meal to look like is slowly evolving away from the 'meat and two veg' standard format.
Let me put it this way, if you stuck a veggie stir fry in front of a comfortably off Edwardian family, they'd have looked at you as if you had two heads.....we've moved on since then.

Phill
27-Jan-10, 11:32
.....we've moved on since then.

I wouldn't be so sure around here!! :roll::lol:

There is a lot of sense there, it is the conditioning and the psychological side to it as well as tradition.

If I were to go to me Grandma's and turn down a meat 'n two veg dinner she'd think I (and anyone else) would be fit fer locking up.
You have meat and two veg', that's what you eat.

And what roadbowler & Stavro said about light meals and feeling energised, a lot of what we're conditioned to is feeling stuffed and needing a kip after a meal, especially on Sundays and Christmas. We expect to be stuffed to bursting and waiting for the little "waffer thin" mint to push us over the edge.

But I still wouldn't go in for substitutes, I'd rather have something decent in its own right without meat.

golach
27-Jan-10, 11:57
Vegetables are for making Soup!!!!!! with a large lump of boiling mutton for Broth, or Ham Ribs and Lentils [lol]

ragdollyanna
27-Jan-10, 12:09
I may be opening myself up to a slagging here! I've been a "vegetarian" for a year now - although I eat fish (shock horror! I would call myself a pescetarian but it sounds so pretentious) and I use loads of meat substitutes (more shock horror!). I will now explain myself!

I tried quorn and when cooked correctly for use in curries and chilli con carne etc I found it so similar to meat that I began to wonder if I really need to eat meat in order to enjoy my grub. The world is so grossly over-populated, I think the world's population has trebled in the last 50 years, I don't see how we can continue to farm animals for meat on such a huge scale. Rainforests are cleared for animal grazing (and for soya products too however) and animals produce more harmful gases that all the transport systems put together. Then there's all the hooha about what really goes into our meat...

And now, I can look a cow in the eye with a clear consciense :lol: I hope I don't sound like I'm preaching - I'm not, just trying to explain myself and hoping that others see my point of view...

Phill
27-Jan-10, 12:38
There are other options:

http://petsorfood.com/

macbreeza
27-Jan-10, 12:44
It's impossible to keep everyone happy I think! Meat eaters can feel guilt about the environmental implications of farting cows, but the same animals also give us milk and dairy products so should we all be vegan?? BUT regardless of whether someone is vegan or veggie shouldn't we all be buying local veg only and not anything transported due to carbon footprint thingy or only truley organic veg because of the effects pesticides have on us and the environment.

This thread has just made me think of all the things I have read about or have been reported on tv that i feel a pang of guilt about doing!

1 Using cleaning products that contain chemicals (bad for you )

2 Eating food from the other side of the world (carbon footprint)

3 Eating bacon (the recent cancer scare)

4 Eating any processed foods (additives)

5 Not eating 5 fruit and veg daily ( doesn't happen that often but i sometimes don't manage it!)

6 Occasional binge drinking (drinking a bottle of wine makes me feel a borderling alki which according to some reports i probably am)

7 Leaving the light on or the telly on standby!

8 Eating white bread (sometimes I crave it!)

9 Having chocolate for breakfast!

10 Not caring if everything is fair trade ( sorry )

It's never ending I think, soon i will be sat in the dark due to my crappy energy light bulbs, knawing on a raw carrot i just picked out my garden (cooking uses energy tut tut) in my hand knitted outfit(no cheap togs from sweat shop other side of planet)......oh wait a minute that means keeping a sheep somewhere....ok i give up, brain ache has set in.

Think i will just stick to being a car free and non smoking girl who turns the lights off when she isn't in the room and religiously recycles, that's the best i can do! I bet folk didn't feel this pressure and guilt 20 years ago :lol:

We can all only try and do our bit!

ragdollyanna
27-Jan-10, 14:19
"We can all only try and do our bit!"

Well said! I know "my bit" is not a flawless eco-plan - but if we all do a little, it will go a long way.

Meat Free Mondays!

Phill
27-Jan-10, 14:32
Meat Free Mondays!

Fillet shteak Fridays!

or is that not in the spirit of things

roadbowler
27-Jan-10, 14:49
haha. I agree about the red wine. That can do it too! Well, i'm not a vegetarian for ecological, population, or cow farting reasons. First off, i keep beef cows! I do not buy the over-population or cow emissions guff. Besides, no offence to the person above, going vegetarian for the above reasons is a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Because it also supports monocropping and production of genetically modified strains of vegetables. Both of these things are worse than cow fart emissions and make the world scarcer of food for our vibrant population. Basically, i see food as medicine. That's it, that's my theory, that's how i treat food now. It's a simple theory based on my personal observation. I spent roughly half my life eating a meat diet. 90% wild game. Mostly venison. I spent a lot of time being ill too. Small things that all add up, anaemia, frequent sore throats, caught every virus coming, skin problems, hair problems, constipation, heavy exercise induced asthma, migraines, bouts of slight depression, indigestion, frequent sinusitis, gastric problems here and there. Nevermind the low energy. I didn't know i was low energy at the time, not until i completely revamped my diet. Now, my list of ills is no longer my list of ills and long may it continue! I stay away from processed food as much as possible and when i do buy it i'm a label reader and nitpicker. ;-) i try to cram most my meals with carminatives and nutrients and i'm not religious about food combinations but, do pay mind to them somewhat. I'm always trying to make my diet better too like trying to grow more and more of my own veg and fruit and learning about and trying more wild foods. From my observation, it's made a huge difference in my health. Besides, then you can better getaway with any other vices you have, chocolate, one two many bevvies at the weekend, coffee, fags etc! Lmao! I'm not interested in converting carnivores to vegetarians. Like beating your head against the wall. :-) but, if we were all vegetarians of some description and stopped eating mostly processed rubbish, in my opinion, the nhs would have a severely lightened workload!

ragdollyanna
27-Jan-10, 15:11
It's also worth remembering that buying corn fed chicken and popping down to the butcher for locally sourced meat is not an option for your average family joe who are on a tight budget.

Phill
27-Jan-10, 15:17
Cant agree more about the processed muck.

We have started growing our own veggies (and meat!), we keep chickens for eggs etc.
What people end up shoving inside them, often unwittingly, from supermarkets is full of all sorts of muck.
The "low fat" & diet foods are often worse.

northener
27-Jan-10, 15:26

or is that not in the spirit of things

Spirit-free wednesdays!

for 5 minutes only.

golach
27-Jan-10, 15:44
Spirit-free wednesdays!

for 5 minutes only.

Phew , you caught me in mid glass there northener :eek: I was choost pouring my afternoon tiffin, nearly spilt it :(

Phill
27-Jan-10, 16:43
Spirit-free wednesdays!.

Hmmm, barely doable I suppose.

Could be Red Wine Wednesdays instead, that's not a spirit!

cuddlepop
27-Jan-10, 16:56
Someone once said to my Oh who was eating one of those healthy salad boxes..."
You didnt evolve from the food chain to eat "rabbit food",where's the dead animal..you are the hunter":eek:

Even if I make macaroni cheese now its got to have a bit of bacon.:lol:

ducati
27-Jan-10, 18:02
You didnt evolve from the food chain to eat "rabbit food",where's the dead animal..you are the hunter":eek:

Even if I make macaroni cheese now its got to have a bit of bacon.:lol:

I think choosing what we eat rather than eating what we can, shows we have evolved-dontcha think?:cool:

Stavro
27-Jan-10, 19:12
Basically, i see food as medicine.

http://www.sproutingseeds.co.uk/ :)

Couldn't get much healthier than eating your own sprouted seeds. I remember my mother growing alfalfa, mung, adzuki beans and many more varieties to put in our lunch boxes.

Turquoise
27-Jan-10, 22:01
It's also worth remembering that buying corn fed chicken and popping down to the butcher for locally sourced meat is not an option for your average family joe who are on a tight budget.

I can understand that it can be expensive buying meat from the butcher all the time can be expensive. I only eat meat a couple of times a week and it fairly saves money. Even just a couple of meat-free meals can save you a few quid every week :D

Blarney
27-Jan-10, 23:16
I can understand that it can be expensive buying meat from the butcher all the time can be expensive. I only eat meat a couple of times a week and it fairly saves money. Even just a couple of meat-free meals can save you a few quid every week :D
.....and they tell us that fish is much better for us anyway - the oily variety particularly. It's also very expensive even though there's a plentiful supply literally on our doorstep here. We can't win.

Turquoise
27-Jan-10, 23:32
.....and they tell us that fish is much better for us anyway - the oily variety particularly. It's also very expensive even though there's a plentiful supply literally on our doorstep here. We can't win.

Well I think the key is everything in moderation, whether it be meat, fish, booze, chocolate or processed food. There is lovely fish that's discarded by fishermen every day, which is perfectly edible. Nothing is really plentiful nowadays unfortunately - everything comes at a price, whether it's monetary or ethical.

We certainly don't need to eat meat nor fish every day. As mentioned earlier, it is the meat 'n' 2 veg concept, which sticks in people's heads.

I absolutely agree with MacBreeza, I feel guilt pangs about whether I'll have a Danish bacon buttie, whilst watching the tellybox, with a glass of vino, two lights on and substituting 1 of me 5 a day for my Reggae Reggae sauce... :confused

roadbowler
28-Jan-10, 00:01
http://www.sproutingseeds.co.uk/ :)

Couldn't get much healthier than eating your own sprouted seeds. I remember my mother growing alfalfa, mung, adzuki beans and many more varieties to put in our lunch boxes.
yea! Love peas out of my garden sprouted and thrown in a veggie fried rice! Used to be addicted to alfalfa sprouts too. ;)

northener
28-Jan-10, 01:25

Oh yes you can. Nip down to Wick harbour and ask around.......;)

luskentyre
28-Jan-10, 01:32

Except that most people "hunt" down the aisle of Tesco. I think people are far too detached from the source of their food these days.

Tilter
30-Jan-10, 22:50

I don't eat meat and fish for ethical reasons. For me personally it's immoral, but for anyone else it's not - it's whatever they feel comfortable with. Also I don't do it cos it's greener not to. That doesn't mean I don't like meat though - I really miss pate, salami and sausages. I do eat mussels and shrimps though sometimes when I'm out (hey - I imposed this on myself so I can make my own rules up). Also, if I go to someone's house for dinner and they don't know I'm veggie, I eat the meat and shut up - it would embarrass people otherwise. Although if they plonked a steak on my plate I don't think I could eat it but fortunately that's never happened. BBQ's are usually OK as no one notices you're avoiding the burgers. I quite like the Quorn mince but not the Quorn sausages, though I never buy it.

Blarney
30-Jan-10, 23:57
Oh yes you can. Nip down to Wick harbour and ask around.......;)
You're obviously cheekier than I am Northener! I'm much too shy and reserved to try and blag my dinner!:roll: