PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Bike Brakes

porshiepoo
25-Jan-10, 17:38
Anyone know of a shop round Wick that can replace mountain bike brakes without charging a small fortune?

Gronnuck
25-Jan-10, 17:43
:cool: How about doing it yourself?
You can get all the bits you need from http://www.edinburghbicycle.com (http://www.edinburghbicycle.com)

porshiepoo
25-Jan-10, 20:29
Thanks for the link to the webiste. At least I know where to get spares form now.
If it's anything more than an adjustment though I think I'm better off leaving it to an expert. At least I know they'll work that way. lol

I've had a very generous offer from an Orger to fix them for me.:)

George Brims
26-Jan-10, 02:28
Porshie, I recommend you learn as much as you can about maintaining your bike yourself before you set off on your big adventure. Even commuting into and out of Edinburgh, where I was never far from a bike shop or a lift home, knowing how to fix stuff was always handy.

Looking back on those days reminds me of a tip. Always lock your bike lock when you take it off the bike and put it in your backpack. That way you won't come out of a shop to find you've chained your bike to a railing but you've lost the key!

Aaldtimer
26-Jan-10, 04:26
Porshie, I recommend you learn as much as you can about maintaining your bike yourself before you set off on your big adventure. Even commuting into and out of Edinburgh, where I was never far from a bike shop or a lift home, knowing how to fix stuff was always handy.

Looking back on those days reminds me of a tip. Always lock your bike lock when you take it off the bike and put it in your backpack. That way you won't come out of a shop to find you've chained your bike to a railing but you've lost the key!

Couldn't agree more with your first paragraph George!

Your second has left me somewhat puzzled though!:confused

porshiepoo
26-Jan-10, 09:39

Point taken. I've watched an internet video so I can have a go at adjusting the brakes myself but if it turns out to be more than an adjustment needed then I'm leaving it to someone who knows.
I can do minor stuff like punctures, seat adjustments etc etc but brakes are far beyond me. You're correct in that I do need to learn though.

sprint95m
26-Jan-10, 19:51
Anyone know of a shop round Wick that can replace mountain bike brakes without charging a small fortune?

The Spot toy shop (by the Cliff Bakery) sell spare parts from stock and offer a repair service.