PDA

View Full Version : School Safety on Roads

rfr10
03-May-06, 20:25
What should be done about the safety of young people travelling to school every day,walking and where are the main problem areas in Caithness? (eg. speeding cars, racers etc..)

Please answer carefully as I will use this info. with the S.Y.P.

IM CLOSING THIS THREAD AT 21:30 ON 4TH MAY IF THERE ARE NO MORE RESPONSES BY THEN.

teuchter
03-May-06, 20:30
Try to teach the kids the green cross code for starters. I dont know about the Thurso side, but Wick definetly suffers from indestructable high schoolers who wander off pavements and treat moving vehicles with no respect.

rfr10
03-May-06, 20:32
I think this goes both ways. There are many vehicles who also do not treat school children with care either, especially at the front of the High School.

Chillie
03-May-06, 20:33
What should be done about the safety of young people travelling to school every day,walking and where are the main problem areas in Caithness? (eg. speeding cars, racers etc..)

You should know Robin about speeding cars and racers running along the front of the high school during lunch and after school.

Francis street. Henreitta street. Ackergill street. Bignold park. Harrow hill. Too many more to mention.

JAWS
03-May-06, 20:34

Better Road Safety Training from an early age so that Road Safety becomes as natural to them as walking and breathing?
There would have to be regular refresher courses to remind those with short memories.

rfr10
03-May-06, 20:34
You should know Robin about speeding cars and racers running along the front of the high school during lunch and after school.

Francis street. Henreitta street. Ackergill street. Bignold park. Harrow hill. Too many more to mention.
Yes, I do certainly know but what can be done about it?

Chillie
03-May-06, 20:37
Yes, I do certainly know but what can be done about it?

Sadly Robin, nothing ever is done until someone is seriously injured or dies.

Chillie
03-May-06, 20:38
Speed cameras. Catch the boy racers.:)

Billy Boy
03-May-06, 20:38
not only do they wander of the pavement's they run out without looking,and the police need to do more speed check's in the 20 mph zone at least 3 in5 speed in them from what i see

rfr10
03-May-06, 20:39
Sadly Robin, nothing ever is done until someone is seriously injured or dies.

Is it up to the school, government or who to stop this?

rfr10
03-May-06, 20:40
not only do they wander of the pavement's they run out without looking,and the police need to do more speed check's in the 20 mph zone at least 3 in5 speed in them from what i see
Should there be any more 20mph speed limits positioned anywhere else in Caithness?

Billy Boy
03-May-06, 20:41
Should there be any more 20mph speed limits positioned anywhere else in Caithness?

they should replace the 30's:confused:

Chillie
03-May-06, 20:41

Agree with you there. High school children do tend to just walk out without looking they need to learn more about safety. It is a dangerous cocktail speeding cars and careless kids.

rfr10
03-May-06, 20:42
they should replace the 30's:confused:
Around every school or just the ones with problems?

rfr10
03-May-06, 20:47
I've got in contact with the council and am now waiting fot a reply. I will also make sure your views are taken into consideration by the SYP.

Billy Boy
03-May-06, 20:48
Around every school or just the ones with problems?

i think the speed limit should be reduced to 20 in all built up area's, down were my mother in law live's most sigh's say 20's plenty :confused:

JAWS
03-May-06, 20:53
I think this goes both ways. There are many vehicles who also do not treat school children with care either, especially at the front of the High School.
If they haven't learned not to walk in front of moving vehicles by the time they get to High School then there is not much hope for them.
"Walking in front of moving vehicles can cause serious damage to your health."
Simple solution, don't do it! Learn to take some responsibilities for your own actions.

Perhaps there could be warning signs approaching schools. "Danger! Brainless idiots wandering about in roadway!"
I've come across sheep with more road sense than some youngsters near to schools.

Walking onto main roads in the hope that everybody will take avoiding action is not exactly the most intelligent thing to do.
Some seem to take it as a sign of maturity that they can wander where they wish, heedless of any danger which may be there, in order to impress their mates.

rfr10
03-May-06, 20:53
There are speed limits everywhere but very little people stick to them. Even some sensible people are still breaking the limit. I notice that when I am out in the car at 60mph, cars still go speeding past the whole time. If the speed limit is 30, you will get people going at 40, if its 60, you will get people going at 80+. How can this be fixed?

rfr10
03-May-06, 20:56
If they haven't learned not to walk in front of moving vehicles by the time they get to High School then there is not much hope for them.
"Walking in front of moving vehicles can cause serious damage to your health."
Simple solution, don't do it! Learn to take some responsibilities for your own actions.

Perhaps there could be warning signs approaching schools. "Danger! Brainless idiots wandering about in roadway!"
I've come across sheep with more road sense than some youngsters near to schools.

Walking onto main roads in the hope that everybody will take avoiding action is not exactly the most intelligent thing to do.
Some seem to take it as a sign of maturity that they can wander where they wish, heedless of any danger which may be there, in order to impress their mates.

What I find is that, when I am walking to school, as I see there are no cars coming, I walk onto the road and then all of a sudden a car will come zooming round a corner without looking for anyone and also, I noticed one day that when someone was just about across the road but not quite, a taxi deliberatly sped up and aimed for the person and just slightly missed them.

teuchter
03-May-06, 20:59
Back to the green cross code again. Only cross when you can see that there is nothing zooming towards you. A lot of this problem stems from the kids, and you need to start with them first im afraid.

rfr10
03-May-06, 21:02
What I am saying is that I look both ways for cars and when I see that there are none coming, all of a sudden a car will get to a junction- look very quickly for cars coming and then zoom round the corner and sometimes it feels like they try to go faster just to scare you off the road.

It is very hard to cross the main road at francis street- there should be crossings on every route to school.

teuchter
03-May-06, 21:03
Dont cross near the junction then.

JAWS
03-May-06, 21:05
Outside Infant and Junior Schools probably, yes.
Outside High Schools it just reinforces the belief that nothing is every ones own fault, it is always somebody else to blame.
I keep being told that children mature faster in this day and age but every day I am told that they need more and more looking after because they cannot look after themselves.
I'm surprised that 15 year olds don't have to have their Mummies hold their hands all the way to the school gates if they are so unable to cross a road safely.

rfr10
03-May-06, 21:06
I don't cross near a junction, Im saying that a car will come speeding out if the junction and then just not look for anyone crossing. People driving cars play a part in this too. Just because people crossing have to look out for them, doesn't mean that they don't have to look out for us does it? Can they not also be considerate and let people cross, sometimes I find myself standing waiting for ages and ages for cars to stop coming past.

brandy
03-May-06, 21:06
now i have a 3 year old and 1 1/2 year old... it drives me crazy seeing cars zooming down the road.
my 3 year old is now on his bike outside. and it terrifies me when i see a car flying by.. even though i am there and right beside him.. theres always that one time one of them will get away from me.
they fly around the corner here.. and its so so dangerous .. you have a blind curve that is by garages where loads of kids play every day .. and they never even slow down!

and this is in a supposedly quiet side street

rfr10
03-May-06, 21:09
Outside Infant and Junior Schools probably, yes.
Outside High Schools it just reinforces the belief that nothing is every ones own fault, it is always somebody else to blame.
I keep being told that children mature faster in this day and age but every day I am told that they need more and more looking after because they cannot look after themselves.
I'm surprised that 15 year olds don't have to have their Mummies hold their hands all the way to the school gates if they are so unable to cross a road safely.

Can I just stand all day at the side of the pavement and wait until there is not a car in sight and then get to school late and say to the teahcer- Miss, im late because I had to wait for cars to stop coming to get across the road? Thats why they need crossings.

JAWS
03-May-06, 21:12
What I am saying is that I look both ways for cars and when I see that there are none coming, all of a sudden a car will get to a junction- look very quickly for cars coming and then zoom round the corner and sometimes it feels like they try to go faster just to scare you off the road.

It is very hard to cross the main road at francis street- there should be crossings on every route to school.
Why don't all adults seem to have the same problem? Can I have somebody to look after me whenever I want to cross a road in Wick?
What's the difference between somebody going to school and somebody going to work at the same time? Perhaps drivers just single out those going to school and avoid those going to work.

Billy Boy
03-May-06, 21:12
maybe more speed bump's is the answer in bulit up areas and school's:confused:

unicorn
03-May-06, 21:13
What bugs me is when I am going to nursery etc and people don't even make an effort to slow down as they approach kids who are not holding their parents hands and are too far away to be grabbed fast! How do these drivers know that the child won't step out???

rfr10
03-May-06, 21:14
Perhaps drivers just single out those going to school and avoid those going to work.

Yes, I think they do. The area near the High School though is always very very busy with cars, especially in the morning and at home time as pupils get lifts home which increases the amount of traffic.

rfr10
03-May-06, 21:15
What a good idea, that would stop speeding cars or maybe the younger ones will just find it as a bit of fun and start showing off and go speeding over them- even though it will wreck their car.

connieb19
03-May-06, 21:19
It is very hard to cross the main road at francis street- there should be crossings on every route to school.Isn't that why there's the Lollipop man in Frances Street?:confused:

rfr10
03-May-06, 21:21
Isn't that why there's the Lollipop man in Frances Street?:confused:
A lot of the time when I am on my way too school, he is never there because he is mainly for the primary school children.

Chillie
03-May-06, 21:24
What I find is that, when I am walking to school, as I see there are no cars coming, I walk onto the road and then all of a sudden a car will come zooming round a corner without looking for anyone and also, I noticed one day that when someone was just about across the road but not quite, a taxi deliberatly sped up and aimed for the person and just slightly missed them.

The taxi's are the worst for speeding they think the own the road, and the drivers act so cool with the dark glasses on , and outside it is peeing with rain:confused

rfr10
03-May-06, 21:25
The taxi's are the worst for speeding they think the own the road, and the drivers act so cool with the dark glasses on , and outside it is peeing with rain:confused
Totally agree!

Chillie
03-May-06, 21:31
Totally agree!

Well at least we agree on one thing ,he he

JAWS
03-May-06, 21:32
Can I just stand all day at the side of the pavement and wait until there is not a car in sight and then get to school late and say to the teahcer- Miss, im late because I had to wait for cars to stop coming to get across the road? Thats why they need crossings.
Set off for school earlier, that's what adults do when they have to get to work.
I'm just glad you don't live somewhere where there are busy roads. Wick is hardly the busiest place in Scotland.
Sorry, but "Stop the World, I have to get to school." just doesn't wash with me. If crossing a road on the way to School is a huge problem in your life then heaven help you and those like you when you leave school. There will be nobody then who will take your hand to cross you over the road so you might as well learn now or you will never learn how to do it.
My sons had to cross a busy six lane dual carriageway outside their school. If somebody had suggested to them that they needed somebody to help them and their mates to cross it they would have been disgusted. They would certainly have gone out of their way to avoid anybody who even tried to take them across it and if I remember correctly the speed limit was 50 MPH but was certainly not less than 40 MPH.
Those were by no means exceptional circumstances and even the main roads in Inverness are quiet by comparison, the roads were more like City Centre Glasgow.

Billy Boy
03-May-06, 21:33

what about white van man:rolleyes:

rfr10
03-May-06, 21:36
Set off for school earlier, that's what adults do when they have to get to work.
I'm just glad you don't live somewhere where there are busy roads. Wick is hardly the busiest place in Scotland.
Sorry, but "Stop the World, I have to get to school." just doesn't wash with me. If crossing a road on the way to School is a huge problem in your life then heaven help you and those like you when you leave school. There will be nobody then who will take your hand to cross you over the road so you might as well learn now or you will never learn how to do it.
My sons had to cross a busy six lane dual carriageway outside their school. If somebody had suggested to them that they needed somebody to help them and their mates to cross it they would have been disgusted. They would certainly have gone out of their way to avoid anybody who even tried to take them across it and if I remember correctly the speed limit was 50 MPH but was certainly not less than 40 MPH.
Those were by no means exceptional circumstances and even the main roads in Inverness are quiet by comparison, the roads were more like City Centre Glasgow.

School... earlier...? Don't like the sound of that. I didn't start this thread for me personally. Different committees from the SYP discuss different things and this is one of the topics being discussed. Just because the roads in Caithness are quieter than cities doesn't mean they are safer because they are not. I find it easier sometimes to cross roads in Inverness as there are pedestrian crossings on most of the main roads.

Rheghead
03-May-06, 21:38

What should be done about the safety of responsible drivers who drive at responsible speeds in an around school crossings but still have to put up with brainless kids running out in front of the car?

When I was at school, we were issued with armbands that we had to wear on the way to school and we had to do Tufty club and get regular visits from the Bobby. Of course new-age rectors will think that a police presence in school will intimidate the kids, but that is another thing...

I think the onus for personal safety should be emphasised on the individual rather than on someone else. Kids should indoctrinated to look after themselves instead of all relying on public funded road furniture..

Bring back Tufty!!

rfr10
03-May-06, 21:40
If you have ever been at the front of WHS at lunchtime, you will know that the road is definitly NOT safe and that the drivers ar NOT considerate. Maybe the older ones- yes but the younger ones who like to show off their cars- NO.

Alice in Blunderland
03-May-06, 21:54
I can just see it now *council tax* being spent on nice road crossings to help the youth of today get safely to school and for what ,the kids who wander across the road when cars are coming will still do it and they certainly wont be seen dead crossing at a designated point :roll: rather dead in the middle of the road.There are faults on both sides here with some drivers and with some kids.Educating them otherwise is a step in the right direction but it is a problem that is here to stay until some poor kid gets knocked down and killed then maybe some people will realise that cars,kids and speed is a dangerous combination.Living in Thurso Street I can say lunchtime is race time for some drivers doing the *circuit* round the high school and erecting a speed warning sign made it worse the idiots were trying to see who could hit the highest speed so the sign in front of the high school is no longer there.

footie chick
03-May-06, 21:56

good idea this would slow them down

rfr10
03-May-06, 22:00
Even though I have contacted the council, they will probably still do nothing about it and it is unlikely the SYP will do anything about it immediately. They can only advise the government on what to do. I think the only hope is speed bumps as speed warnings and restrictions will not work, speed cameras will not work as I saw the police at the front of the school one day with speed guns and as the speeding cars approached, they slowed down and as soon as they passed, they sped up again!

Alice in Blunderland
03-May-06, 22:04
Speed bumps will slow down the traffic the only problem is I wouldnt like to be in the back of an ambulance having just had a heart attack trying to get to hospital over them.

Chillie
03-May-06, 22:05
Throw a stinger in front of them a few times and the cost of repalcing the tyres will slow them down the little showoff gits that they are:lol:

rfr10
03-May-06, 22:05
Speed bumps will slow down the traffic the only problem is I wouldnt like to be in the back of an ambulance having just had a heart attack trying to get to hospital over them.

Ummmm... good point. Well em.. any more suggestions?

rfr10
03-May-06, 22:06
Throw a stinger in front of them a few times and the cost of repalcing the tyres will slow them down the little showoff gits that they are:lol:
Brilliant idea LOL

fred
03-May-06, 22:21
If you have ever been at the front of WHS at lunchtime, you will know that the road is definitly NOT safe and that the drivers ar NOT considerate. Maybe the older ones- yes but the younger ones who like to show off their cars- NO.

If there are people regularly breaking the law by endangering life outside the school then the police should be stopping them and prosecuting them. We already have enough laws to deal with it, speeding, driving without due care, dangerous driving. Nothing needs changing except laws which are not being enforced be enforced.

Other than that I'm with JAWS. At the curb halt, look left, look right, look left again. With the number of kids who just walk out into the road without looking, wander on and off the pavement as they are walking along or are walking along in a bunch with half of them in the road I'm surprised there isn't one killed at least every week, I can only put it down to the skill and consideration of the drivers in Caithness that they arn't.

I always slow right down for the corner by the railway station, especially in winter when the kids are returning to school after lunch because that's the time the sun hits you right in the eyes as you round the corner and nine times out of ten there is a bunch of kids in the road. Someone from out of town won't know this, they could probably get five or six in one go, I'm amazed someone hasn't. Keep the kids on the pavement, that's the answer, car drivers don't drive on the pavement kids shouldn't be wandering around in the road.

rfr10
03-May-06, 22:24
If there are people regularly breaking the law by endangering life outside the school then the police should be stopping them and prosecuting them. We already have enough laws to deal with it, speeding, driving without due care, dangerous driving. Nothing needs changing except laws which are not being enforced be enforced.

Other than that I'm with JAWS. At the curb halt, look left, look right, look left again. With the number of kids who just walk out into the road without looking, wander on and off the pavement as they are walking along or are walking along in a bunch with half of them in the road I'm surprised there isn't one killed at least every week, I can only put it down to the skill and consideration of the drivers in Caithness that they arn't.

I always slow right down for the corner by the railway station, especially in winter when the kids are returning to school after lunch because that's the time the sun hits you right in the eyes as you round the corner and nine times out of ten there is a bunch of kids in the road. Someone from out of town won't know this, they could probably get five or six in one go, I'm amazed someone hasn't. Keep the kids on the pavement, that's the answer, car drivers don't drive on the pavement kids shouldn't be wandering around in the road.

I understand what you are talking about but how can this be stopped? Just telling the kids won't make a difference so what will?

Alice in Blunderland
03-May-06, 22:32
Ahhhh bring back the belt six of the best for car dodging and Im sure the amount of kids in the middle of the road will half ;) okay now for everyone to give me a row for suggesting tongue in cheek violence towards the youth of today:lol: but it is I feel a no win situation.

rfr10
03-May-06, 22:43
So is that the end of this discussion? Should I close it and take all the views given to SYP?

JAWS
03-May-06, 23:27
This is most unusual, fred and I agreeing on just about everything. Of course, despite my giving some pain about kids and Road Safety, I agree wholeheartedly with what fred says about drivers. If they are behaving illegally, irresponsibly or dangerously then yes, they need to be dealt with in the appropriate manner.
The laws are there to deal with them and if they are driving in a manner which is irresponsible, the fact that they are doing so outside a school would go a long way to showing how irresponsibly they were behaving. Any resulting punishment should reflect that fact by it's severity.

Robin, whilst you and your peers have not yet had the experience of being adults, we have all had the experience of being teenagers and some of us were very stroppy, rebellious teenagers at that.
We've already done most of the daft things we moan about you doing which probably explains why we seem so unsympathetic at times.

fred
03-May-06, 23:36
I understand what you are talking about but how can this be stopped? Just telling the kids won't make a difference so what will?

Educating them.

We had road safety drummed into us from the age of 5. If a teacher had seen me behaving how kids behave today on the way to school I'd have been doing detention for a week writing out the Green Cross Code ten thousand times. By the time we got older it was automatic, we messed around on the streets a lot but on a main road we never left the pavement except to cross, never even entered our heads to, it just wasn't done, it would have been considered attempted suicide.

Ann
03-May-06, 23:48
Robin, I think road bumps are definitely the way to go.

West Banks isn't that long and there are alternative routes for an ambulance to take without increasing the time taken to get to the General from either side.

There are many other things that slow down an ambulance in a hurry; slow reacting drivers, cars parked, even schoolchildren.........
Ann

Smithy
04-May-06, 04:55
A safer routes to school project was carried out for Wick High School and there will be developments from this. I believe that in time all schools primary and secondary will have 20mph speed limits.

Alice in Blunderland
04-May-06, 07:56
Robin its a brave man that goes looking for any kind of money to be spent on roads these days.In time the way the roads are going we wont need speed bumps as there are plenty of large potholes in most roads now[evil] .....maybe thats why the council have left them there speed limits without effort.Speed bumps will slow traffic all traffic but where do you place them outside the school ,in the streets where the cars are going too fast and the kids think they are priority on the road...my guess is youre looking for speed bumps in every street in the town then.:)

flash
04-May-06, 13:52
Robin, have you tried going to a community council meeting and getting local councillors on side, to support this. Also Highland council have a road safety officer in Inverness who was running a safer routes to school project a couple of years ago, might be worth speaking to her direct

squidge
04-May-06, 16:04
A young boy was killed getting off the school bus at keiss a few years ago - he got off and ran out from behind the bus and he was dead - he was maybe 8 years old. A young girl - twelve gets off a school bus excited to show her mum something and steps out from behind the bus and gets hit by a van. fortunately she survived - several weeks in hospital but she was ok. Two incidents that illustrate that children are children - they are prone to be forgetful and they are prone to being distracted. Thats why we need BIG YELLOW SCHOOL BUSES and we need proper rules that prevent drivers overtaking these school buses when they are stopped. This is what happens in the states and makes perfect sense to me. There have been pilots run in the UK so it would be interesting to know the results of those and Robin that might be a good place to do some research

Venture
04-May-06, 16:05
I had occasion to be in a house in West Banks one lunchtime and counted these two cars playing follow my leader going up and down the street 38 times and that was only in the time I was there. They certainly weren't doing 20 mph either. The girls standing outside the school were certainly enjoying it.

rfr10
04-May-06, 16:08
I had occasion to be in a house in West Banks one lunchtime and counted these two cars playing follow my leader going up and down the street 38 times and that was only in the time I was there. They certainly weren't doing 20 mph either. The girls standing outside the school were certainly enjoying it.
Agree totally, they just do it to show off to the girls.

rfr10
04-May-06, 16:17
I don't know if it was just the time I went up to school at but I didn't notice a LOT of cars speeding past the high school today although I did notice a blue car going back and forth for ages and a work van. I do not think the employer of the person driving this van would be very happy.

Go to: http://www.saferoutestoschools.org.uk/

Niall Fernie
04-May-06, 16:35
Having had the misfortune of driving past the school at 9am ish I'd say the biggest problem is that so many pupils don't walk/cycle to school these days. At 9am most of the cars on the roads around all of the schools look like they are driven by parents dropping off their kids. I'd imagine that the same is happening at lunch times and the end of the school day. How many of them are running late for work as well as having to drop off the kids, can't imagine that making for safe driving conditions in the town.

Robin, you should try having a car counting exercise on West Banks Ave from say 8:30am to 9:15am, over lunch time and at the end of the day, you could extract all kinds of information from that. Busiest 15 minute period, total number of cars passed by, total stopped to drop off, etc. You'd also be able to see roughly how many pupils get dropped off in the morning but walk home in the afternoon. Couple that with a questionnaire on how pupils travel to school and you'd have some pretty good statistics on your hands.

rfr10
04-May-06, 16:41
Having had the misfortune of driving past the school at 9am ish I'd say the biggest problem is that so many pupils don't walk/cycle to school these days. At 9am most of the cars on the roads around all of the schools look like they are driven by parents dropping off their kids. I'd imagine that the same is happening at lunch times and the end of the school day. How many of them are running late for work as well as having to drop off the kids, can't imagine that making for safe driving conditions in the town.

Robin, you should try having a car counting exercise on West Banks Ave from say 8:30am to 9:15am, over lunch time and at the end of the day, you could extract all kinds of information from that. Busiest 15 minute period, total number of cars passed by, total stopped to drop off, etc. You'd also be able to see roughly how many pupils get dropped off in the morning but walk home in the afternoon. Couple that with a questionnaire on how pupils travel to school and you'd have some pretty good statistics on your hands.
Great idea, thanks for that advice. Yes, more kids should walk to school. I think this is the problem aswell. Today, I noticed that the most cars were passing the H.S. at 12:45- lunch time.

Marty McFly
04-May-06, 16:55
Great idea, thanks for that advice. Yes, more kids should walk to school. I think this is the problem aswell. Today, I noticed that the most cars were passing the H.S. at 12:45- lunch time.

Think you'd see it was the same two or three cars that are causing a potential hazzard doing the high school circuit every day...and I reckon I know who they'd be...the same fools who race around the town like it was their own personal racetrack. [mad]

rfr10
04-May-06, 17:00
Think you'd see it was the same two or three cars that are causing a potential hazzard doing the high school circuit every day...and I reckon I know who they'd be...the same fools who race around the town like it was their own personal racetrack. [mad]
Surley its a waste of money buying petrol the whole time.

rfr10
04-May-06, 18:09
http://www.camcycle.org.uk/newsletters/19/images/srts.GIF

PLEASE GO TO: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=112952104745

riggerboy
04-May-06, 18:11

speed humps (sleeping policemen as most of them are), i have tried to get them in seaforth avenue but got told there hasnt been enough accidents yet? does this mean the horse must bolt then we can see about shutting the door?

rfr10
04-May-06, 18:14
speed humps (sleeping policemen as most of them are), i have tried to get them in seaforth avenue but got told there hasnt been enough accidents yet? does this mean the horse must bolt then we can see about shutting the door?
Do a lot of people speed in Seaforth Ave.?

angela5
04-May-06, 18:30
Do a lot of people speed in Seaforth Ave.?

Seaforth Avenue is over loaded with parked cars making it very hard to drive around.

rfr10
04-May-06, 18:36
Seaforth Avenue is over loaded with parked cars making it very hard to drive around.
I noticed that there is a Petrie van or something like that always parked on the blind corner in Seaforth Ave.

angela5
04-May-06, 18:41
I noticed that there is a Petrie van or something like that always parked on the blind corner in Seaforth Ave.

That's right robin, it's an accident waiting to happen. I try to avoid going up that way but the other route is just as bad.

rfr10
04-May-06, 18:43
That's right robin, it's an accident waiting to happen. I try to avoid going up that way but the other route is just as bad.
Who owns that van? Do you know?

angela5
04-May-06, 18:48
Who owns that van? Do you know?

Eh'm robin, i'll take a wild guess at the van belonging to, petrie's painters & decorators.:lol: :lol:

Alice in Blunderland
04-May-06, 18:58
Its funny you should mention the fact that there have not been enough accidents yet. One lady in Thrumster has been campaigning for a few years now to have the main road speed limit reduced from sixty to thirty miles per hour as the children have to cross this road and wait for the high school bus,she received a letter telling her she needed a certain amount of deaths to help her cause,she replied give me that many councillors/politicians and Ill soon give you the number of deaths you need.Does someone realy have to lose their life before something is done on this subject which affects many areas.The bus stop is on a lovely long straight bit of road and the cars are not all doing sixty its not just in the town, its a problem all over.:(

rfr10
04-May-06, 19:18
I quote from the Department of Transport:

In one study of driving behaviour, over 70% of motorists admitted to speeding. In another, the figure was 85%. Many people actually approve of speeding. They claim "they can handle it, that it's often necessary and that they enjoy it".

What's everyone got to say about that?

Alice in Blunderland
04-May-06, 19:23
Hope they are still enjoying going at speed after a child without thought or warning runs out and goes right over their bonnet may their death give them as much pleasure as the thrill of the speed....:( but as they say *they can handle it*

rfr10
04-May-06, 19:59
Anyone want to make any more comments on this topic?

rfr10
04-May-06, 21:41
Thanks For All Your Suggestions And Comments. This Thread Is Now Closed.

rfr10
05-May-06, 17:44
http://www.tameside.gov.uk/tmbc1/20mphsign1.gif

Im opening this thread again for a wee while just so I can get proof to show that the majority of the people in Caithness think there should be more speed restrictions in Caithness for the s.y.p. to act on.

Please give your support to improve road safety in Caithness so that I can use it as back up when making my point to the SYP.

Thanks

fred
05-May-06, 20:11
Im opening this thread again for a wee while just so I can get proof to show that the majority of the people in Caithness think there should be more speed restrictions in Caithness for the s.y.p. to act on.

You arn't going to do that, there are 850 active members on Caithness forums most of which probably won't read this thread. You would have to show that those who do read the thread are representative of a cross-section of the population of Caithness and that more than half of those reading the thread think there should be more speed restrictions.

If that is clear and you will just use the information I give you as a rough guide and not go brandishing it as proof of anything I will continue.

I think there should be a 20 mph speed limit in the vicinity of all primary schools.

Other schools and places should all be considered on their individual merit, there are all sorts of factors to be considered. I would start off by finding a few places you think are most in need of a speed restriction and then giving your reasons why. If it is a place with an obstructed view where young people have to cross the road, poor lighting and where cars tend to go too fast then present this information and I'll offer an opinion.

You know I think everyone would be in favour of a speed restriction near to where they live, everyone wants their children to be safe. I don't think anyone wants a speed restriction near to where everyone lives, that would cover most of the county. You must be very careful about how you interpret any information you recieve from a source like this.

Alice in Blunderland
05-May-06, 20:17
There is already a speed restriction in front of the high school 30 mph many cars break this speed limit so lowering it would not make any difference to those who just dont care.A speed camera dishing out fines would soon get the speeds down.

rfr10
05-May-06, 20:17
You arn't going to do that, there are 850 active members on Caithness forums most of which probably won't read this thread. You would have to show that those who do read the thread are representative of a cross-section of the population of Caithness and that more than half of those reading the thread think there should be more speed restrictions.

If that is clear and you will just use the information I give you as a rough guide and not go brandishing it as proof of anything I will continue.

I think there should be a 20 mph speed limit in the vicinity of all primary schools.

Other schools and places should all be considered on their individual merit, there are all sorts of factors to be considered. I would start off by finding a few places you think are most in need of a speed restriction and then giving your reasons why. If it is a place with an obstructed view where young people have to cross the road, poor lighting and where cars tend to go too fast then present this information and I'll offer an opinion.

You know I think everyone would be in favour of a speed restriction near to where they live, everyone wants their children to be safe. I don't think anyone wants a speed restriction near to where everyone lives, that would cover most of the county. You must be very careful about how you interpret any information you recieve from a source like this.

Ok, thanks for that.

rfr10
05-May-06, 20:19
There is already a speed restriction in front of the high school 30 mph many cars break this speed limit so lowering it would not make any difference to those who just dont care.A speed camera dishing out fines would soon get the speeds down.
I'm trying my best to get speed cameras but I don't think the S.Y.P sound very happy about trying to do this as it costs a lot of money for 1 speed camera.

Mr P Cannop
05-May-06, 20:28
there should be speed cams in Wick & Thurso

rfr10
05-May-06, 20:51
To get the best results and so that more people will listen to what we have to say about road safety, I'll get the Highland Youth Voice, Highland Council, Department of Transport, the Scottish Youth Parliament, the UK Youth Parliament, Road Safety Scotland and YouthLink Scotland to look at this thread and ask them to give a response to me and I'll then tell you what's happening. Until then, I would appreciate any more suggestions or support from you here.

Thanks,

Robin

Mr P Cannop
05-May-06, 21:02
robin ask them to post their coments on here ??

rfr10
05-May-06, 23:38
Thanks for all your support on this topic. There is no doubt that something else will come up in the SYP and I'll be sure to keep you informed. If you would like to add a comment to this thread, PM me and I will temporaraly open the thread so you can do so. Once I have the ability to delete the thread, I will do so immediately. I will save this discussion and use the useful posts as part of a report to the SYP. If you have any more points to make, please email me.

Thanks,
Robin
http://www.drumchapelcf.org.uk/graphics/logo_syparliament.gif

rfr10
16-Oct-06, 18:37
Thought I'd just say that I'm glad to see that things are moving on with the new crossings in Wick and the Speed Bumps being installed in front of the High School.

Cazaa
16-Oct-06, 19:17
I've only just come to this Forum and I noticed this thread. I know that there was a 'Safer Routes to School' initiative launched in 2000/1 (?) and it encouraged school's and communities to take an active part in creating 'Safer Routes to School'. As far as I am aware, Thurso High School, Miller, Pennyland and Bower all put in suggestions/plans. If you contact one of the schools, I'm sure they could offer some suggestions (or lend a plan). It would be interesting to see just how much was done too.

rfr10
16-Oct-06, 19:39
I've only just come to this Forum and I noticed this thread. I know that there was a 'Safer Routes to School' initiative launched in 2000/1 (?) and it encouraged school's and communities to take an active part in creating 'Safer Routes to School'. As far as I am aware, Thurso High School, Miller, Pennyland and Bower all put in suggestions/plans. If you contact one of the schools, I'm sure they could offer some suggestions (or lend a plan). It would be interesting to see just how much was done too.

OK thanks.
You probably just noticed this thread because it was posted a while ago but nothing was done about it until now so I thought I would just add another comment.

sapphire
16-Oct-06, 20:15
Thought I'd just say that I'm glad to see that things are moving on with the new crossings in Wick and the Speed Bumps being installed in front of the High School.

I hate to add a low note to this thread but (as a regular driver along Thurso road) do you really believe that the kids going to school are going to cross both crossings? Or do you think ..as I do ( imo ) that they are going to continue as status quo and walk straight across to the opticians!
Not only that but I stopped to tell two young chaps how to use the crossing because they just hadn't got a clue![disgust] ......on the other side.....how many drivers ( given that this is Wick we are talking about! ) actually know how the crossing works ? Road Safety?...maybe eventually........:roll: