PDA

View Full Version : Tsunami

Chillie
03-May-06, 19:32
I was just reading the news on AOL and it said, A magnitude-8.1 earthquake has struck near the south pacific nation of tonga-triggering tsunami warnings for new zeland and fiji. Has anyone heard anything about this on the evening news tonight?
http://cdn.digitalcity.com/aoluk_articles/09/02/20060503124709990001.4458ed04-00191-00228-400cb8e1

Tonga, Fiji and New Zealand are braced for tsunami damage after the earthquake.

JAWS
03-May-06, 19:38
The alerts were issued but it seems they have now been cancelled. The Earthquake information seems to be correct but it looks like it didn't trigger a Tsunami.
Info from CNN at 1900 hrs.

Chillie
03-May-06, 19:39
The alerts were issued but it seems they have now been cancelled. The Earthquake information seems to be correct but it looks like it didn't trigger a Tsunami.
Info from CNN at 1900 hrs.

Thanks for that Jaws, i missed the evening news tonight and was curious.

JAWS
03-May-06, 20:22
Thanks for that Jaws, i missed the evening news tonight and was curious.
I didn't know about it at all until I saw your thread so at least you were better informed than me. :o

George Brims
03-May-06, 22:22
When I lived in Hawaii in 1988, there was a tsunami alert. All the lower-lying areas of town (Hilo) were evacuated, and we had a film crew on our upstairs balcony waiting for the event. When the wave arrived it was barely detectable. Unfortunately just knowing a big earthquake has occurred doesn't tell you if it has generated a tsunami. There have been a few more such events since, and people had started to get very complacent and ignore the sirens. However after the events a year and a half ago in Asia I am sure complacency has gone.