PDA

View Full Version : Engagement rings.

sweetpea
25-Jan-10, 02:22
On a jewelerry site I noticed it said that the man should spend about 2-3 months salary on it[lol]

Boozeburglar
25-Jan-10, 02:30
I just went straight to the wedding band

good thing, in retrospect

butterfly
25-Jan-10, 03:14
On a jewelerry site I noticed it said that the man should spend about 2-3 months salary on it[lol]

There's been a misprint there,it should read 2-3yrs.;)

Metalattakk
25-Jan-10, 03:23

A jewellery site, you say? And they're recommending that people spend a lot of money on ...er...jewellery?

Shurely shome mishtake? :roll:

Boozeburglar
25-Jan-10, 03:33
or not a lot of money if yer paid on commision for yet witty contributions to message boards

Metalattakk
25-Jan-10, 04:19
If only..... ;)

[lol]

Phill
25-Jan-10, 09:12
'till the pop can manufacturers ed about with things you could get away with a ring pull.

Peeps today don't understand what romance is about.

northener
25-Jan-10, 10:12
No doubt this will be taken on board by the same dimwits who believe that you 'must' spend thousands on a wedding.....

Leanne
25-Jan-10, 10:40
No doubt this will be taken on board by the same dimwits who believe that you 'must' spend thousands on a wedding.....

It's a historic thing to allow a young man to prove to a young woman that his is responsible with finances and can save for a large item - that they are not frivolous. It takes away the 'spur of the moment' proposals and allows a man to think about whether he really wants to do it. If he changes his mind he can always spent the cash on a sports car

northener
25-Jan-10, 10:53
It's a historic thing to allow a young man to prove to a young woman that his is responsible with finances and can save for a large item - that they are not frivolous. It takes away the 'spur of the moment' proposals and allows a man to think about whether he really wants to do it. If he changes his mind he can always spent the cash on a sports car

My arse it is.
It's about a woman demanding money be lavished upon her. A good sign of a woman you should be walking swiftly away from.[lol]

Phill
25-Jan-10, 10:56
It's a historic thing to allow a young man to prove to a young woman that his is responsible with finances

Too right, let the father of the bride pay for the wedding!

:eek:

ducati
25-Jan-10, 10:58
I thought when I bought the marriage licence (about 7 bob I think) that was it, but oh noo...

Leanne
25-Jan-10, 11:02
My arse it is.
It's about a woman demanding money be lavished upon her. A good sign of a woman you should be walking swiftly away from.[lol]

Nah nonsense. It is about a man proving he is responsible enough with money to be able to support a family. In the grand scheme of kids and houses and the like a couple of months salary on a ring is nothing. If he can't prove his committment to that how on earth can he guarantee he will put his family finance responsibilities first?

Going back to my previous post - this is historic. Now adays, with women working full time and bringing in the eggs to go with the bacon, men can get away with a cheap ring from argos :roll:

Edit maybe that is why so many marriages end in divorce? Without having to save for so long men jump into marriage before they are ready to commit. Saving for an expensive ring would give them a chance to think if it is what they really want :)

ducati
25-Jan-10, 11:06
Nah nonsense. It is about a man proving he is responsible enough with money to be able to support a family. In the grand scheme of kids and houses and the like a couple of months salary on a ring is nothing. If he can't prove his committment to that how on earth can he guarantee he will put his family finance responsibilities first?

Going back to my previous post - this is historic. Now adays, with women working full time and bringing in the eggs to go with the bacon, men can get away with a cheap ring from argos :roll:

Edit maybe that is why so many marriages end in divorce? Without having to save for so long men jump into marriage before they are ready to commit. Saving for an expensive ring would give them a chance to think if it is what they really want :)

Maybe in this day and age the women ought to buy the man the engagement ring?

Phill
25-Jan-10, 11:07
Maybe in this day and age the women ought to buy the man the engagement ring?

Nah, just a crate of beer will do the trick.

northener
25-Jan-10, 12:06
Nah, just a crate of beer will do the trick.

Worked on me:Razz

Vistravi
25-Jan-10, 12:10
My partner would like to get married but i don't want to. I see it personally as a bit of paper if you're in the right relationship anyway and you only need to do it for legal reasons.

I've been looking in what we will need to do to register our child's birth and as we are not married and will not ever be married as i am not a marriage kind of girl and for my partner to have any rights he must accumpy me to the register office and we both have to sign declarations stating that he is the father of the our child.

Personally if we decided to do it for legal reasons in the future i would not allow him to spend anything on a engagement ring. It's better spent on the wedding rings. ;)

northener
25-Jan-10, 12:11

" A couple of months salary":eek:

Thats easily a couple of grand.....on a trinket to massage someones' ego with?

The money would be better spent doing something useful - like sticking in a high-interest account - for a house deposit or furniture. Not wasted on a frivolity to flash in front of chums.

Pah...kids terday.

Vistravi
25-Jan-10, 12:18
" A couple of months salary":eek:

Thats easily a couple of grand.....on a trinket to massage someones' ego with?

The money would be better spent doing something useful - like sticking in a high-interest account - for a house deposit or furniture. Not wasted on a frivolity to flash in front of chums.

Pah...kids terday.

Or used to keep the man alive through food....a dead husband to be is no use to his wife to be ;)

Phill
25-Jan-10, 12:20
My partner would like to get married but i don't want to. I see it personally as a bit of paper if you're in the right relationship anyway and you only need to do it for legal reasons.

I've been looking in what we will need to do to register our child's birth and as we are not married and will not ever be married as i am not a marriage kind of girl and for my partner to have any rights he must accumpy me to the register office and we both have to sign declarations stating that he is the father of the our child.

Personally if we decided to do it for legal reasons in the future i would not allow him to spend anything on a engagement ring. It's better spent on the wedding rings. ;)

Oh just get beered up and get down the registry office.

Wedding rings are cheap as chips, Argos item no 203/0463, £9.99. So yer right there stuff the engagement ring and drink the saving instead, you'll even have enough for a curry afterwards.

Fluff
25-Jan-10, 13:36
It was De Beers who started this 'tradition' of the man havign to spend x no of months wage on the ring. It's insane how much money can be spent on jewellery!

Invisible
25-Jan-10, 13:50
I take it Haribo rings are no longer acceptable then?

Loraine
25-Jan-10, 14:03
My arse it is.

LOL I agree! My engagement ring cost all of £130!! ;)

Phill
25-Jan-10, 14:42
LOL I agree! My engagement ring cost all of £130!! ;)

Y' wus robbed:eek:

horseman
25-Jan-10, 15:51
Best post since the ressurection of the farting theme.

Laugh wise that is-Leapfrogging the engagment ring-mere bagatelle-Commitment comes from Mum an Dad,-cost us an absolute fortune to get shot of youngest, an the little sod trotted back home 2 years later.Luckily she had decided not to go in for breeding-now that is where expenses can really pile up! Witness eldest filly -no please don't we are still trying to balance the books.
So a shiny engagement ring should be the least that a fiancee,if that is how you spell it, should be looking to fork out for.It's most likely to be his first serious commitment,less he is always going to be expected to fork out for the fish suppers.;)
Good luck to all of you who think otherwise.

ShelleyCowie
25-Jan-10, 15:56
Iv already picked my engagement ring, it costs £100....how good is that? I could pick one thats thousands of pounds....but nope! :Razz Has to be white gold tho....will accept nothing else!

Dont want a big wedding, i recon i can do it on a budget of £1000 or less. ;)

Now.....how on earth do i get him to propose! [disgust]

Phill
25-Jan-10, 16:13
I take it Haribo rings are no longer acceptable then?

I think they are still more than acceptable, dual use!

Dont want a big wedding, i recon i can do it on a budget of £1000 or less.

A grand, a bleedin' grand! I'd want the whole shootin' match for less than £250, rings (including the engagement), dress, weddin', dinner 'n all.

Now.....how on earth do i get him to propose! [disgust]Beer him up!

theone
25-Jan-10, 17:34

If you're planning children it's worth checking how your insurances etc work in the event one of you pop your clogs or have an accident.

Pensions, for example, may pay out to a spouse in the event of death, but not to a partner.

joxville
25-Jan-10, 17:36

So it's the man's fault if it ends in divorce? Regardless of the circumstances it comes back to him not spending enough on a ring?

Hogwash. :roll:

ShelleyCowie
25-Jan-10, 17:47
A grand, a bleedin' grand! I'd want the whole shootin' match for less than £250, rings (including the engagement), dress, weddin', dinner 'n all.

Beer him up!

I thought £1000 was really good considering what some people pay!! haha. Dont think i cud get a meal for 50 for too cheap.....but i cud try lol.

Alcohol doesnt work on him.....in the 3 years i have been with him, everytime he is drunk he is still very able to make decent desicions! [lol]

Phill
25-Jan-10, 18:04
everytime he is drunk he is still very able to make decent desicions

He is obviously not of this planet or he needs to drink more!

:confused

Phill
25-Jan-10, 18:06
Regardless of the circumstances it comes back to him not spending enough on a ring?

Wimmins logic Jox, wimmins logic!

ShelleyCowie
25-Jan-10, 18:13
He is obviously not of this planet or he needs to drink more!

:confused

He is not of this planet.....i think thats the right one :lol: We are not regular drinkers anyway.

I will just have to get him to propose with my lovelyness and continue to be a brilliant house-girlfrind. My promotion to house-wife will come in due time! [lol]

Leanne
25-Jan-10, 18:31
So it's the man's fault if it ends in divorce? Regardless of the circumstances it comes back to him not spending enough on a ring?

Hogwash. :roll:

Nah but if it costs a pretty penny they are less likely to propose just because they 'think' they are in love (met a few of those...). Saving up for a ring allows a cooling off period. And nope it's not the mans fault but the man is the one who usually proposes...

cazmanian_minx
25-Jan-10, 19:38
The 2 months salary thing only dates back to the 1930s - it was a marketing slogan by De Beers to get people to buy more diamonds to help them survive the Great Depression in the States.

Vistravi
25-Jan-10, 21:18
If you're planning children it's worth checking how your insurances etc work in the event one of you pop your clogs or have an accident.

Pensions, for example, may pay out to a spouse in the event of death, but not to a partner.

Child on the way atm so will need to think about doing it for legal reasons in a few years if he can stay that long with me that is lol. He's lasted 2 years and so many months so far so i don't think i'm that bad ;)

Aye for pensions and insurance wise when we are older i think we'll defintly get the bit of paper so that we know the other will be ok.

But right now i have no interest in going through the expense of paying for a wee register office wedding and the rings. It can wait a few years yet.

Vistravi
25-Jan-10, 21:21
I thought £1000 was really good considering what some people pay!! haha. Dont think i cud get a meal for 50 for too cheap.....but i cud try lol.

Alcohol doesnt work on him.....in the 3 years i have been with him, everytime he is drunk he is still very able to make decent desicions! [lol]

You haven't got him drunk enough yet Shelley ;)

My partner's cousin's partner proposed to her when she was in labour with their first child.

ShelleyCowie
25-Jan-10, 21:24

Im glad the fathers actually have rights to a child now. It only got changed a few years back.But yes your partner must be with you to register the baby if you want him on the birth certificate and to have the rights. Only takes like 15 minutes to do anyways :D

ShelleyCowie
25-Jan-10, 21:25
You haven't got him drunk enough yet Shelley ;)

My partner's cousin's partner proposed to her when she was in labour with their first child.

haha well himself never done that with me.....lets see if he does next time round!! [lol] [lol]

Vistravi
25-Jan-10, 21:28
Nah but if it costs a pretty penny they are less likely to propose just because they 'think' they are in love (met a few of those...). Saving up for a ring allows a cooling off period. And nope it's not the mans fault but the man is the one who usually proposes...

Aye but its not just men that rush into things when they think they're in love...my step sister and her boyfriend despite only knowing each other for 6 months are planning on getting engaged. She's only 19. I think she's daft to rush into it and should wait untill they've been together a year or so before jumping the gun. She knows her own mind though ;)

I really don't understand why some girls rush into things with men they barely know. I've had a few friends say to me how much they love this guy they have only known for a couple of weeks. Maybe i'm just harsh but honestly alot of young people have no idea of what love actually is. But then again maybe i'm just a careful heart. Considering that it was 6 months into our relationship that i felt love for my partner i would say i'm just a careful heart. Even then i was still not convinced we had a future untill nearly 2 years.

Vistravi
25-Jan-10, 21:45
haha well himself never done that with me.....lets see if he does next time round!! [lol] [lol]

Ah now when the second one comes along you should during gas and air say you would love it if he proposed. When he asks afterwards say you were delirious :lol:

Vistravi
25-Jan-10, 21:49
Im glad the fathers actually have rights to a child now. It only got changed a few years back.But yes your partner must be with you to register the baby if you want him on the birth certificate and to have the rights. Only takes like 15 minutes to do anyways :D

Aye he is coming with me.

It's just amazing the huge difference in how you regisiter a child's birth. Its nice and simple if you're married but complicated if you're not. We will also have the added complication of having a double barrelled name as baby's surname as well. I'd go with the double barrelled name or keep my own and become a ms instead of miss if we did get married in the far future.

horseman
25-Jan-10, 21:57
Just reclocked what it was sweetpea posted-Up to 3 months salery for the ring!!! Wonder what accountant thought up that one,sure wernt mine an if it was ,she would be an ex,an she has done me the world of good over the years.Sorry I missed that bit earlier on.

Stavro
26-Jan-10, 13:04
Jewellery a business with an extortionate mark up! :roll: