PDA

View Full Version : Cavity Wall Insulation

Truewoman
24-Jan-10, 21:35
Was wondering if anyone has any experience of or knowledge of this, we're getting ours on Tuesday but having read some down sides to it am now having second thoughts.

Any info greatly appreciated, thanks.

Cattach
24-Jan-10, 21:40
Was wondering if anyone has any experience of or knowledge of this, we're getting ours on Tuesday but having read some down sides to it am now having second thoughts.

Any info greatly appreciated, thanks.

Had a previous house done many years ago by a different system but no problems. This hous two winters ago and a great success. New peroducts safe and efficient so do not belive any of the doom and gloom merchants we have around - especially on the org!

Hard to judge cost saving due to energy price increases but I do know that if I get up during the night the house is much warmer having retained the heat for a longer time.

You will not be disappointed.

Truewoman
24-Jan-10, 21:56
Thanks Cattach, was worried after reading about damp spots developing, reasuring to know no probs after two years.

bekisman
24-Jan-10, 22:27
We had part (two 20ft wings of double-skinned extensions - middle part solid stone) of our house done four years ago.

Immediately we noticed an improvement in warmth, and also higher sound-proofing.

First thing we did was go around and ensure that the holes that were bored for the material which was injected, were filled, so no rain/moisture could get in. We regularly coat the walls with masonry paint and Thompson's waterseal, and, although we get the full fury of the storms (out on Strathy Point) no problems whatsoever.

Some 25 years ago we had our previous house also Cavity Wall Insulated and that was also well worth it..

So go ahead, but ensure the bored holes are filled in!

igglepiggle
25-Jan-10, 12:23
We had ours done towards the end of last year, and it has been the warmest winter we have had in our house since we moved in. I would highly recommend it!

Each
25-Jan-10, 14:54
Only do this if you know that the outer walls are suitable - ie blockwork inner and outer leaf - even then be careful.

If you have a timber frame house - do not install cavity insulation - they need a ventilated cavity to prevent moisture build up leading to interstitial condensation and eventually rot. (this will take about 10 years to manifest itself and you wont even know its there, until one day....)

Almost all houses in the North of Scotland are timber frame these days.
Any houses built in the last 5 years will already have high levels of insulation.

I have had reps trying to get my mum to install cavity insulation - her house is only 5 years old (and timber frame) - cavity insulation would be a disaster.

If you are increasing the insulation of your house - you will also need to consider carefully how you are going to ventilate the internal a atmosphere - as the internal temperature increases - the amount of moisture carried by the air will increase exponentially - dramatically increasing the risks of surface condensation, dampness and mould.

Maintaining the correct balance of insulation and ventilation is very important.

Do not rely on the technical knowledge of these reps (they are no more than sales people and do not have the training to understand the technical complexities of the building fabric).

If in doubt get an architect to check first.