PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Top Gear?

Boozeburglar
24-Jan-10, 18:21
It used to be a show about cars, now they play second fiddle to the presenters.

Is it time for a proper consumer programme on Motoring from our public broadcaster?

Motoring in its many forms is a huge part of life in most parts of the world, so I think there is room for a more informative series on the subject.

Perhaps Quentin Wilson would be available for advice on classics, Mike Brewer for instructions on driving a bargain? Maybe another presenter who can actually drive rather than just talk about it like those TG goons, Tiff Needell would be the man for that!

How about Kate Humble checking out MPVs for carrying your menagerie, taking sea lions for lunch with Bill Oddie and some angry kingfishers?

I am dribbling in anticipation at such an idea, someone is bound to take this further after reading this!

:)

Leanne
24-Jan-10, 18:31
There's always 5th Gear. Not quite so humerous though ;)

Ash
24-Jan-10, 18:38
I love top gear the way it is now

Boozeburglar
24-Jan-10, 18:39
Unfortunately 5th Gear has been axed Leanne; but looking on the bright side them apples don't just look good ... they are available too!

Gronnuck
24-Jan-10, 18:51
It used to be a show about cars, now they play second fiddle to the presenters.

:confused You're right, Top Gear is now about the egos of three stooges rather than about cars and motoring. It's getting more boring by the week, time for change.

lasher
24-Jan-10, 18:52
Top Gear is about the only show worth watching on normal tv!!

changilass
24-Jan-10, 18:55
Unfortunately 5th Gear has been axed Leanne; but looking on the bright side them apples don't just look good ... they are available too!

The fact that this has been axed, yet Top Gear remains, means that folks want a bitty humour and not just a show that only geeks would be interested in.

Boozeburglar
24-Jan-10, 19:02
I don't think it is as simple as that.

Fifth Gear was a bit of both. Perhaps that is where it fell down.

jazzyr1
24-Jan-10, 19:20
Top Gear is about the only show worth watching on normal tv!!
have to agree with that,the show is funny and not too serious,
i know BB isnt keen on it as mentioned in another thread so if people dont like it,dont watch it,

upolian
24-Jan-10, 20:00
would rather top gear over eastenders/corrie and absolute rubbish like that,it really is the only programme worth watching!

hilary
24-Jan-10, 20:28
anyone who thinks top gear is great should get a life.

golach
24-Jan-10, 20:34
Its more entertaining than Big Brother, X factor or any of the so called reality shows, I prefer the Top Gear team to Jordon, Susan Boyle or any of them, much more entertaining.

camor
24-Jan-10, 21:27

Top Gear is 1hour of entertainment, no more , no less. I agree that the programme is now based round the presenters antics as opposed to detailed information about the cars but this is why it is so popular. Who wants to listen to someone drone on about camshafts and gearboxes for an hour, not me and I am a "petrolhead". It runs for 6-8 weeks unlike these horrendous shows like X-facter and Big Brother that seem to pick out examples of the worst people in our society ie intellectually stuntet, fame hungry morons who crave nothing more than their 5 minutes in the limelight. Sit any of them down to have a conversation with Clarkson, May or Hammond and I doubt if they could get past half a sentance.................. Rant over.[evil]

*Martin*
24-Jan-10, 21:33
I've noticed Top Gear has gone down hill something chronic this year! I think they are trying to aim it at such a massive market nowadays rather than just men who like to grunt and look at cars.

If they could just hold back on all the obviously scripted stuff and fire some more "realistic" cars in with the super cars I'd be happy.

Mike Brewer? Your having a laugh! The man speaks more nonsense than anyone on the tele!

I was watching wheeler dealers the other day and he was talking about an MX5 they had sorted out. He bent down beside the wheels, gave them a little stroke and said something like "Edd, what do you think off these lovely compomotive alloys I got for it"

They had a great big sticker saying ENKEI!!!

PLUM!!!

lapsylla
24-Jan-10, 21:33
The show had lost its way a long time ago,now its just about giving Clarkson and his brats a wad of our licence money and allowing them to indulge themselves in any crazy scheme they can dream up,all quite pointless !!!!!!

joxville
24-Jan-10, 22:56
I liked old Top Gear, it was quite informative though a bit stale, and Clarkson felt it had run it's course so left the show, only for it to be cancelled by the BBC about two years later. Clarkson and his mate, Andy Wilman, who was also a presenter on the old show, got together with the BBC with the idea of reviving it but changing the format completely, which has worked because it's continually the highest viewed show on BBC2. It may be well and good telling us about the latest Vauxhall Corsa's 0-60 times and fuel economy but to be honest, if you are going to be buying a new car you can find out that info from dealers, otherwise it would just take up valuable airtime. Also, a lot of the stuff wouldn't be relevant to foreign viewers so the BBC may find other countries would stop buying the programme. Top Gear in it's present format is shown in many countries so I doubt the BBC would want to lose that income just to suit a minority who want car stat's and eye candy.

In their recent blogs Clarkson and Wilman have hinted that there will be changes coming in future series because they too have recognised that viewers now know what to expect, that some stunts and sequences are contrived, so a freshening up is needed. I doubt they are going to change the presenters because it is a winning format, however I wouldn't be surprised to see the occassional guest presenter brought in, maybe get them doing something different from driving the 'reasonably priced car'. We'll just need to wait and see. :)

gleeber
24-Jan-10, 23:00
Ive never watched Top Gear but I'm familiar with Jeremy Clarkson. I imagine his celebrity status keeps the show alive. He seems a natural on television.

Boozeburglar
25-Jan-10, 00:31
I wouldn't be surprised to see the occassional guest presenter brought in, maybe get them doing something different from driving the 'reasonably priced car'. We'll just need to wait and see. :)

I would love to see the stars in the reasonably priced car also get a go in a Noble or something so we could see who has real chops, but I realise the safety implications! I also think an article on motor sport could fit in nicely on each show, taking a look at the different formats. (They regularly use saloon car racers, etc. on the show so it would be nice to see some background on those drivers' day to day jobs.

I have watched Top Gear 33 years. I would not say I hate it, only that I have watched it long enough to see when it is becoming stale.

I don't think anyone would need to be a geek to apprecaite articles on driver behaviour or insurance companies. I realise these would not have an international scope, but they can edit two versions of the programmes easily enough.

I like James May in particular. I think he has a lot of talent . . . and a winning smile.

Boozeburglar
25-Jan-10, 00:33
Ive never watched Top Gear but I'm familiar with Jeremy Clarkson. I imagine his celebrity status keeps the show alive. He seems a natural on television.

I think Richard Hammond is the real celebrity these days, which makes it all the more infuriating that he puts up with all those pathetic small guy jokes.

If all things were equal, I am certain there would be lots more bike articles on Top Gear.

After all, if you want truly hyper fast vehicles that are within the means of the general public, you are talking bikes.

sweetpea
25-Jan-10, 00:35
It used to be a good show but it's naff now;)

Boozeburglar
25-Jan-10, 00:43
I always thought it was ironic that three guys who dress respectively as Man at C & A, an Open University presenter and a New Romantic throwback considered they could assess how 'cool' a car was.

sweetpea
25-Jan-10, 00:45
Yeah agree, they are pretty woosy. Like to find out who the Stigg is though!

Boozeburglar
25-Jan-10, 00:57
OK, now 5th Gear has been axed, (which incidentally is purely to make way for the new show 6th Gear now that most cars have six forward gears), I can divulge the identity of the S.

Ladies and gentleman, or should I say ladettes and geeks, I give you Tiff Needell!

;)

sweetpea
25-Jan-10, 00:58
OK, now 5th Gear has been axed, (which incidentally is purely to make way for the new show 6th Gear now that most cars have six forward gears), I can divulge the identity of the S.

Ladies and gentleman, or should I say ladettes and geeks, I give you Tiff Needell!

;)

Everyone says they know the Stigg. Until I get proof I won't believe it.

lister
25-Jan-10, 01:03
I liked the old Top Gear and now like the new one even more.
Its funny and informative and as well as showing us what we can't afford, they're outlandish behaviour towards there races and the red tape that Britain holds so dear, with the serious side of buying cars or any other type of vehicle taken out.
A breath of fresh air in an otherwise staid and stuffy BBC.
They do have ego's but who on T.V. doesn't..?
If ya dont like it dinnae watch it...i dont watch soaps or weepies so i dont comlain about them either..
I have often seen folks disgust at some T.V. shows but i can see now these folk are watching the telly to tell all of us why they dont like watching the T.V ..

sweetpea
25-Jan-10, 01:07
I loved the show where they all raced to Edinburgh in a car, train and bike! So funny...