PDA

View Full Version : terrible

wicker8
23-Jan-10, 22:29
hi all i cant believe the front page of the groat the article from homeaid that these poor people cant afford to eat and they have no change of clothing at this day and age it is heart breaking we dont know how luck we are what are your thoughts on this thanks

bingo1
24-Jan-10, 00:40
Yes i agree i feel for people as the cost of livivng has gone up but the income certainly doesnt go up!! Price of energy is terrible, i know people who struggle to heat their homes and these are people with kids. On the other hand i also know of folks who have gone to home aid for that food box and they just spend their money on drink and they party all the time this has to make folks mad!!! I am lucky myself never having needed to get a food box but i feel for those who have had to.

changilass
24-Jan-10, 00:44
For those of us who don't have the paper, any chance of a link or even typing a bitty up for us please.

Fran
24-Jan-10, 00:54
I can't beleive that in this day and age and with social security payments that people in Caithness are so poor that they have no food or change of clothes.

charlie
24-Jan-10, 00:59
Linky for reference.
http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/7757/Charity_worker_s_shock_at_demand_for_food_parcels. html

dragonfly
24-Jan-10, 01:41
sorry to be controversial but my first thought on reading that article was how many of them smoke/drink/gamble?

priorities are often misplaced.................

riggerboy
24-Jan-10, 08:55
sorry to be controversial but my first thought on reading that article was how many of them smoke/drink/gamble?

here here you never go through the street without unemployed flok standing outside the bookies with a smoke in their hand, see it more and more now they cant smoke inside, half of them neither work nor want for anything

Mrs Bucket
24-Jan-10, 11:13
I understand where Riggerboy and Dragongfly are coming from but there could be innocents involved abused partners or children who might benefit. And I suppose the gamblers and drinkers need help Now Im being controversial my OH says I have been awkward this past day or two maybe he wil get peace if I have a rant on here. Serioulsy it is so sad to think this is happening in the 21st century we dont seem to have learnt much

BINBOB
24-Jan-10, 12:05
I can't beleive that in this day and age and with social security payments that people in Caithness are so poor that they have no food or change of clothes.

There are such folk,Fran...myself and 3 neighbours made sure that a very needy gentleman had a good Christmas ,with food,presents and cat food too.We are still helping him,one of my neighbours is almost a saint for looking out for this gentleman..........she gives him whatever he needs at anu time.I also give him little things now and again............we will be there for him throughout the year,not just at Christmas.

As he is an avid churchgoer,I did ask why they were not helping him more???:roll:The minister NEVER returned my call.:roll:

Cats protection are now helping with feeding his cat.
He is still trying to sort out his benefits which has gone on for weeks.
I am sure there are many others like this too,hidden away behind closed doors...........please try to seek and help.My neighbour also made sure he had a lovely NEW YEARS day dinner and a brandy!!!

The same neighbour has been there for me since I have been ill and even struggled through the snow for my prescriptions,on foot.I and my dear dogs would have struggled without her..........Thank u M. U knowwho u are.
Iam sure and know that u do same for folk,Fran...so Bless all of the silent soldiers who help their fellow human beings at any time.:Razz

EDDIE
24-Jan-10, 13:06

In some cases i agree with you there is a lot of people that play the system and do alright out of it.But the worst hing about living in caithness is there is not a lot of jobsgoing there compared to citys so if you lose your job and have a house and kids to feed you have a problem becuase its not as if u can look in the local paper and take your pick in jobs really.
I always think the government made a mistake in allowing an open door to all eu citizens to work in the uk.They should have had yearly work permits so you could control the numbers so then you could curb the unemployment levels so its not so bad in the uk

But having said all that even the poorest of familys in the uk are millionaires compared to people in africa iraq even parts in india in mumbia in the slums thats what people forget

Thumper
24-Jan-10, 14:25
I can understand why sometimes families need help with food ect,all it takes is for one of my kids to unexpectedly need new shoes,new jacket or some other unplanned expense popping up to throw my budget way off,there have been plenty fo times we have lived off beans for a week or two to cover an unexpected cost,I do try to put soem money aside but when money is limited its not always easy to do that,especially at times like xmas or birthday-as I know some people would say if you cant afford birthdays dont buy things but try telling that to a 9 year old child x

Shabbychic
24-Jan-10, 14:28
Why is it that the minute anything is mentioned about benefits or people needing assistance to survive, it quickly turns to scroungers/system cheats? There is no denying there are those out there who are dishonest, but the vast majority are genuine.

My first thoughts are it's disgraceful that people are having to live this way in this day and age, not that they are fleecing the system. I find it strange that some people always know lots of folks who cheat and never any geniune cases. Many may appear to be frauds, but unless outsiders know the exact circumstances of these cases, they should not judge. Looks can be deceiving.

There are too many who live by the principle, " it can't happen to me." Well it can, especially in the current climate.

So please, give these folks a break and look on them with compassion not disgust.

EDDIE
24-Jan-10, 14:48
Why is it that the minute anything is mentioned about benefits or people needing assistance to survive, it quickly turns to scroungers/system cheats? There is no denying there are those out there who are dishonest, but the vast majority are genuine.

My first thoughts are it's disgraceful that people are having to live this way in this day and age, not that they are fleecing the system. I find it strange that some people always know lots of folks who cheat and never any geniune cases. Many may appear to be frauds, but unless outsiders know the exact circumstances of these cases, they should not judge. Looks can be deceiving.

There are too many who live by the principle, " it can't happen to me." Well it can, especially in the current climate.

So please, give these folks a break and look on them with compassion not disgust.

If you can get to 65 without being made redundant i think your very lucky person i think most people some were along the road do experienece losing there job i have had happen 4 times

redeyedtreefrog
24-Jan-10, 14:51

True that the majority of those on benefits are honest people, but surely it's a bit wrong to spend your gov't money on fags and cheap cider?

Shabbychic
24-Jan-10, 15:11
True that the majority of those on benefits are honest people, but surely it's a bit wrong to spend your gov't money on fags and cheap cider?

So every single person on benefits buys fags and cheap cider? Even for those who do, who are we to judge?

I know of some who think that people on benefits should only be given vouchers to make sure they only get the basics to survive. They would also probably welcome a return of the poor/work house, where folks had to break stones to earn their keep.

These are human beings, and if some buy fags and cheap cider to stop them from becoming suicidal, then so be it. I don't personally think that is the way to go, but then I am not in their shoes, although I have worked with many who are.

Leanne
24-Jan-10, 15:24
These are human beings, and if some buy fags and cheap cider to stop them from becoming suicidal, then so be it. I don't personally think that is the way to go, but then I am not in their shoes, although I have worked with many who are.

It is when they buy cider and fags and neglect the basic needs of their children. If they can afford beer and fags then can afford to buy their own food, and not need charitable food parcels.

It's all about priorities :roll:

sweep
24-Jan-10, 15:37
i do think times are very hard for many people on benefits, i know what we spend on food, heating etc...
however its crazy to see someone at the post office getting their benefit then go straight over to the opposite counter and buy 5 or 6 lucky dip cards!!

Thumper
24-Jan-10, 15:42
My goodness there are a lot of assumptions being made on this thread :roll: how do you know they spent their money on fags,booze etc? MAYBE they had unexpected bills or expenses as I said before they DO happen and then when you have no money in the first place how do you pay the bill,buy the shoes,coat or whatever AND buy food? I get £60.50 a week to live on,its hardly much is it?Too many on here are quick to judge and would be better to think-there but for the grace of god go I-BEFORE postingx

danc1ngwitch
24-Jan-10, 15:44
[quote=Shabbychic;649747], who are we to judge?

I agree, who are we to judge?
Live and let live, fairly take and fairly give.

Shabbychic
24-Jan-10, 15:49
It is when they buy cider and fags and neglect the basic needs of their children. If they can afford beer and fags then can afford to buy their own food, and not need charitable food parcels.

It's all about priorities :roll:

Indeed it is all about priorities.:roll:

So how many statistically fit this catagory whereby they neglect their children to buy fags and cider, but collect charitable food parcels to feed these children? It is all presumption that everybody in need is on the take, buy fags and booze and neglect their children.

I stated that some poor people do by fags and cider, but that does not equate to child neglect.

I think what it all boils down to is that yes, some people do abuse the system, but the majority do not, and to concentrate on this minority, rather than see the larger picture of genuine hardship and need, is very wrong.

Sometimes it says more about the accusers than the accused.

Leanne
24-Jan-10, 15:51
I get £60.50 a week to live on,its hardly much is it?Too many on here are quick to judge and would be better to think-there but for the grace of god go I-BEFORE postingx

I earn a good wage but by the time all my bills have gone out I have very little money actually left for me. In fact, as I choose to have animals, I have no money actually left for me. If I had kids it would be the same...

I had a friend (who I now don't see anything of) who was living on the bread line with two kids. She really struggled so I used to take her round things for the kids, like nappies and juice. Over the period I was friends with her I gradually realised all this did was leave her 'free' cash to buy drink and fags. It actually didn't help the kids at all as they were still not getting anything themselves but they did have a mum that was drunk all the time. As hard as I found it I cut ties with her as I couldn't bear to see what was being done to the kids. And me helping actually made things worse for them. It's hard to watch people living an existence like that. Lack of pride in themselves doesn't make for a good life and things slip in order to afford things to take away the pain.

Of course not everyone is like this. Some can find joy in the things in life that are free :)

Thumper
24-Jan-10, 15:52
Indeed it is all about priorities.:roll:

So how many statistically fit this catagory whereby they neglect their children to buy fags and cider, but collect charitable food parcels to feed these children? It is all presumption that everybody in need is on the take, buy fags and booze and neglect their children.

I stated that some poor people do by fags and cider, but that does not equate to child neglect.

I think what it all boils down to is that yes, some people do abuse the system, but the majority do not, and to concentrate on this minority, rather than see the larger picture of genuine hardship and need, is very wrong.

Sometimes it says more about the accusers than the accused.

Finally somebody who can see sense and not judge everyone!Well done SC I wish there were more like you!x

Thumper
24-Jan-10, 15:57
I earn a good wage but by the time all my bills have gone out I have very little money actually left for me. In fact, as I choose to have animals, I have no money actually left for me. If I had kids it would be the same...

I had a friend (who I now don't see anything of) who was living on the bread line with two kids. She really struggled so I used to take her round things for the kids, like nappies and juice. Over the period I was friends with her I gradually realised all this did was leave her 'free' cash to buy drink and fags. It actually didn't help the kids at all as they were still not getting anything themselves but they did have a mum that was drunk all the time. As hard as I found it I cut ties with her as I couldn't bear to see what was being done to the kids. And me helping actually made things worse for them. It's hard to watch people living an existence like that. Lack of pride in themselves doesn't make for a good life and things slip in order to afford things to take away the pain.

Of course not everyone is like this. Some can find joy in the things in life that are free :)
All my bills come out of the £60.50 a week,and in winter I pay £50 in electric so that leaves me £10.50,I either feed the kids or keep them warm so I know how tough it can be,I have never asked for hand outs or accepted help from my friends and if I did I certainly wouldnt spend it on booze or fags but on my kids food,the point I am trying to make is not all of us on benefits are "milking" the system but most of us are made to feel we are!I have seen people go into the office in Wick and demand a payment and not leave until they are given one,I would never do that as I would be ashamed to ask for it but there are those who do,will and can take everything they can x

northener
24-Jan-10, 16:00
Part of the problem with the 'scrounger' element of society is that they are usually very visible. Most people who are struggling are too busy trying to live quiet dignified lives as opposed to hanging around bookies/bars/scratchcard counters.
Unfortunately, they'll cop the well deserved bullets that were aimed at the wasters.

Leanne
24-Jan-10, 16:11
All my bills come out of the £60.50 a week,and in winter I pay £50 in electric so that leaves me £10.50,I either feed the kids or keep them warm so I know how tough it can be,I have never asked for hand outs or accepted help from my friends and if I did I certainly wouldnt spend it on booze or fags but on my kids food,the point I am trying to make is not all of us on benefits are "milking" the system but most of us are made to feel we are!I have seen people go into the office in Wick and demand a payment and not leave until they are given one,I would never do that as I would be ashamed to ask for it but there are those who do,will and can take everything they can x

Some people, like yourself, need more recognition. It is a shame that a few bad apples sour the barrel. Budgeting should be something taught at school - the sheer genius of some to make money stretch deserves a grade A :)

catran
24-Jan-10, 16:21
Some people, like yourself, need more recognition. It is a shame that a few bad apples sour the barrel. Budgeting should be something taught at school - the sheer genius of some to make money stretch deserves a grade A :)

£60.50 is not a lot to live on especially when there are children. Does one still get family allowance?

I personally know of four different people who are all milking the system in their different ways. One has a full time job and a part time job and gets living disability allowance? Not bad considering they can walk the dog go out at weekends ect ect.Better than any pension and a lot more than Thumper is getting. Shocking state the country is in and it is obviously ill divided.....

Angela
24-Jan-10, 16:35
Part of the problem with the 'scrounger' element of society is that they are usually very visible. Most people who are struggling are too busy trying to live quiet dignified lives as opposed to hanging around bookies/bars/scratchcard counters.
Unfortunately, they'll cop the well deserved bullets that were aimed at the wasters.

I agree with you Northener, and with what Shabbychic and Thumper have posted on this thread.

Yes, there is a minority who will milk and indeed cheat any system, but the vast majority of folk living on some form of benefits have not chosen to do so and have no luxuries in their lives.

We just don't tend to see the people who are often struggling desperately to maintain the most basic standard of living when ends simply can't be made to meet, the people who are often too scared, confused, ill or anxious to apply for the benefits that they are entitled to. It can be a real struggle to negotiate the maze of the benefits system and a battle to get the money that you are genuinely owed by the DWP.

Benefits aren't calculated so folk can put money aside for a rainy day- the rainy day has already come! :roll:-so one unexpected but essential expense can make life very difficult, if not impossible, for a long time.

Those of us who have experienced joblessness, homelessness and so on know that it can happen to almost anybody. I know there are scroungers in society, but I do get annoyed with the smugness of some folk, especially younger folk, who believe this could never happen to them because it only happens to people who are lazy or feckless.

Vulnerable people down here have been offered food parcels over the very cold spell too. They were not only unable to afford food and heating, so had to make a choice, but they couldn't get out with the icy pavements and had no one to do their shopping. :(

We could do with much more compassion in our society.

Thumper
24-Jan-10, 16:35
Thank you Leanne,I have had to learn quickly just how to make it go as far as possible,I have sold all my jewellery from my "former life" and anything else that I can sell to get a bit extra for birthdays etc x

Thumper
24-Jan-10, 16:40
£60.50 is not a lot to live on especially when there are children. Does one still get family allowance?

I personally know of four different people who are all milking the system in their different ways. One has a full time job and a part time job and gets living disability allowance? Not bad considering they can walk the dog go out at weekends ect ect.Better than any pension and a lot more than Thumper is getting. Shocking state the country is in and it is obviously ill divided.....

Thank you catran,yes luckily i do get family allowance so it does help a bit,no luxuries though-not that I mind,it does help pay for the internet for my kids to do their homework on-schools just expect everyone to have a computer nowadays.The one thing i would love to be able to do is go and see my son at uni-he is the only person in his block of flats that hasnt had a parent visit but heyho how can I do that?
I shouldnt complain really,my fiance was made redundant in the summer and gets no help at all from DWP as he is a retained firefighter so he is expected to pay full rent ect on what little he gets from that,which I think is terrible really for someone who helps save lives and had paid full tax etc and then gets nothing when he needs it x

lasher
24-Jan-10, 16:50

Why don't you report them then!!!!!!

golach
24-Jan-10, 16:53

Instead of moaning and ranting on here, report them,your self, if you know so much about them.

http://campaigns.dwp.gov.uk/campaigns/benefit-thieves/

EDDIE
24-Jan-10, 17:10
Thank you catran,yes luckily i do get family allowance so it does help a bit,no luxuries though-not that I mind,it does help pay for the internet for my kids to do their homework on-schools just expect everyone to have a computer nowadays.The one thing i would love to be able to do is go and see my son at uni-he is the only person in his block of flats that hasnt had a parent visit but heyho how can I do that?
I shouldnt complain really,my fiance was made redundant in the summer and gets no help at all from DWP as he is a retained firefighter so he is expected to pay full rent ect on what little he gets from that,which I think is terrible really for someone who helps save lives and had paid full tax etc and then gets nothing when he needs it x

£60.50 that doesnt even cover my rent does the father of your kids not help out

Thumper
24-Jan-10, 17:17
Nope-rent does get paid luckily-I had to sell my house to the mortgage to rent scheme just to stay in a house,it was being repossessed after my hubby doing a runner x

Boozeburglar
24-Jan-10, 17:41
One has a full time job and a part time job and gets living disability allowance? Not bad considering they can walk the dog go out at weekends ect ect.

One of my best friends died recently, and she had been on DLA for years. She also worked full time and was able to walk, dance and appear absolutely without problems.

She was 35, and she looked 25.

What you don't know about people is what you don't know. Your assumptions don't change that.

changilass
24-Jan-10, 18:00
Would it not be better to teach folks to budget and to ensure that they have all the benefits they are entitled to, so that next week/month they are not in the same position. Giving out food packages just means that will need replenished on a regular basis.

Instead of complaining about folks who are bucking the system, REPORT them. If they are entitled to all their benefits then this will be proved, but if not then they can be taken off the benefits and less mud will then stick to the folks that are genuine.

Boozeburglar
24-Jan-10, 18:27
Ditto, great point Changi.

BINBOB
24-Jan-10, 18:31
So every single person on benefits buys fags and cheap cider? Even for those who do, who are we to judge?

I know of some who think that people on benefits should only be given vouchers to make sure they only get the basics to survive. They would also probably welcome a return of the poor/work house, where folks had to break stones to earn their keep.

Very well said ,,,so very true.More compassion needed to go round!!!

BINBOB
24-Jan-10, 18:36
Finally somebody who can see sense and not judge everyone!Well done SC I wish there were more like you!x

Hear..hear...There but for the grace of God,goes I.

catran
24-Jan-10, 20:17
The government has a lot to answer for Thumper, yes it is dreadful having to survive and scrape a living through no fault of one's own, it is a disgrace.

I am not ranting just saying how ill divided the payments are. Dreadful that some get no help whilst others appear to have the life of Riley that is all. There is something sadly wrong with the system. However maybe one should go to the Citizens Advice Bureau where they advise on the complexities of the Social Security Forms ect. I assumed to get disability one had to be unable to walk x amount of feet or help to cook a meal or needed assistance with their personal care or have I got it all wrong?

golach
24-Jan-10, 20:23
I personally know of four different people who are all milking the system in their different ways. One has a full time job and a part time job and gets living disability allowance? Not bad considering they can walk the dog go out at weekends ect ect.quote]

[quote=catran;649922]
I am not ranting just saying how ill divided the payments are. Dreadful that some get no help whilst others appear to have the life of Riley that is all. I assumed to get disability one had to be unable to walk x amount of feet or help to cook a meal or needed assistance with their personal care or have I got it all wrong?

In your last post you personally know of 4 different persons "milking the system, now your back tracking in my opinion, why dont you report them its easy.
http://campaigns.dwp.gov.uk/campaigns/benefit-thieves/

Stavro
24-Jan-10, 21:10
There are such folk,Fran...myself and 3 neighbours made sure that a very needy gentleman had a good Christmas ,with food,presents and cat food too.We are still helping him,one of my neighbours is almost a saint for looking out for this gentleman..........she gives him whatever he needs at anu time.I also give him little things now and again............we will be there for him throughout the year,not just at Christmas.

As he is an avid churchgoer,I did ask why they were not helping him more???:roll:The minister NEVER returned my call.:roll:

Cats protection are now helping with feeding his cat.
He is still trying to sort out his benefits which has gone on for weeks.
I am sure there are many others like this too,hidden away behind closed doors...........please try to seek and help.My neighbour also made sure he had a lovely NEW YEARS day dinner and a brandy!!!

The same neighbour has been there for me since I have been ill and even struggled through the snow for my prescriptions,on foot.I and my dear dogs would have struggled without her..........Thank u M. U knowwho u are.
Iam sure and know that u do same for folk,Fran...so Bless all of the silent soldiers who help their fellow human beings at any time.:Razz

That is a lovely account, BINBOB.

I think that this thread has drifted off towards a "scroungers" forum, but surely the whole point of the thread was to highlight the plight of the needy and the fact that some people are good enough to do something about it?

changilass
24-Jan-10, 21:19
The problem is Stavro, its not alus easy to distinguish the needy from the greedy. When in doubt be prepared to help out but also report.

BINBOB
24-Jan-10, 22:08
That is a lovely account, BINBOB.

I think that this thread has drifted off towards a "scroungers" forum, but surely the whole point of the thread was to highlight the plight of the needy and the fact that some people are good enough to do something about it?

Thank u ,Stavro....once again.;)

reddevil
24-Jan-10, 23:10
i think this thread is great,everyone has so many different opinions,there are some understanding people who know persons having or have had hard times,who no fault of there own has lost there job,or hubbie/wife left them,there are also the people who get sick and tired of seeing scroungers about the town spending there dole money on needless things,there are a lot of people out there that have worked all there lifes,and are still working,and maybe say to themselves,that this country is easy,the goverment is doing things all wrong,the bottom line is,well i think,we the working people the ones that pay all our taxes for all our years to keep the dole queue long and healthy, will always keep this country out of the list of poor counrties.i went on a bit,sorry i just thought i would like to add to this thread,i love a good debate.

Fran
25-Jan-10, 01:14
Quoted comment.......I get £60.50 a week to live on,its hardly much is it?Too many on here are quick to judge and would be better to think-there but for the grace of god go I-BEFORE postingx[/quote]
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................
I'm sure you are entitled to a lot more and should go and get advice. you should get council tax/rent rebate and other allowances for children or pension age , child allowance etc. Heating cold weather payments.
A lot of people dont claim all that they are entitled to.

sweetpea
25-Jan-10, 01:22
I suppose if your really skint it's easy to think 'aw I can miss a few meals'.

Thumper
25-Jan-10, 08:18
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................
I'm sure you are entitled to a lot more and should go and get advice. you should get council tax/rent rebate and other allowances for children or pension age , child allowance etc. Heating cold weather payments.
A lot of people dont claim all that they are entitled to.[/quote]

Thanks Fran but I have already checked,and seemingly i do get everything I am entitled to,because my kids are over 5 I do not get cold weather payments or free milk but I do get free school meals.
I didnt meant to turn this thread into a poor Thumper is having it hard kind of thread so I am going to say no more,I just had to let peple know that not everyone lives "on e bru" and lives a high life at others expense,infact when I had an accident I was told I should have had incapacity benefit which is a much higher payment and only found out AFTER I could have claimed :( I guess some people know how to "work the system" and they always will abuse it but I just get upset with people thinking that I dont want to work and that I am happy to scrounge.I volunteer 5 days a week to prove that I am not one of those types but I guess deep down I am still very sensitive about being on benefits and thats why I posted-and probably said too much x

Stavro
25-Jan-10, 20:26
... when I had an accident I was told I should have had incapacity benefit which is a much higher payment and only found out AFTER I could have claimed :( I guess some people know how to "work the system" and they always will abuse it ...

You have touched upon a real problem here, by bringing up incapacity benefit. This is seemingly a common scam in certain parts.

For instance, while out and about we have witnessed things like: someone being right at the top of a ladder painting the wall of their house (when the person is ferried around in a wheelchair when in the town); being right at the top of a step-ladder with a sledge hammer, driving in a sign post (when the person makes out that they cannot walk without a stick); lifting big rocks out of ditches; running across fields; driving quad-bikes; building a large, breeze-block shed;... And every one of them (very) long-term claimants of incapacity/invalidity benefit.

It is a shame that the needy are tarred with a brush because of the scammers.

Home Aid does a wonderful job, though, and should be congratulated.