PDA

View Full Version : Haiti Concert

camor
23-Jan-10, 19:51
As much as I feel heart sorry for the plight of the people of Haiti earthquake and I have donated already, a collection of performers trying to prise more money out of the public some how makes me sick. Most of these people are doing no more than massaging their already inflated egos, they could actually be more productive by donating some of their vast wealth to the existing charities in Haiti. Instead they try to shame ordinary working folk to part with even more of their hard earned. I include Simon Cowell who will use this to promote some of his own artists. They should be ashamed of themselves.

cherokee
23-Jan-10, 20:19
Mmm, that's a bit of a controversial topic there Camor.

I can totally understand where you're coming from, but I have to say, where such a world-wide known devastion occurs in a country/area like Haiti, then it doen't really matter where or how aid is delivered to them.

If it takes the like of the big "moguls" to try to ressurrect their game but by doing so, raises the plight of those in utter desperation, then go for it IMO.

No doubt , this will turn into a heated debate, but, as long as certain governments allow the cash to go through to the victims who need it, then lets all applaud anyone willing to show face on TV who are backing the plight of those of have no "voice" for themselves.

Boozeburglar
23-Jan-10, 20:31
I understand your point too. I am sure for some of them that is all it is.

However, there are those amongst them who are genuine.

Some who already donate a huge amount of their wealth to charity also.

You are right though, Simon Cowell's involvement seems suspect to me.

:)

tenabowla
23-Jan-10, 20:38
In particular Simon Cowell, why not just dip his hand in his pocket and donate a few quid of his own, anon, as everyone else does. Just more publicity for him I think.

joxville
23-Jan-10, 20:41
Will it help raise much needed cash for those in need? Yes. :)

Will it help raise the profile of Simon Cowell Inc.? Definitely. :roll:

Now why don't all these 'stars' band together and lobby our Government to provide much needed full and proper equipment to our soldiers in Afghanistan and much better care for the bereaved and injured instead of using public funds to bail out rich bankers. [disgust]

camor
23-Jan-10, 20:42
lets all applaud anyone willing to show face on TV who are backing the plight of those of have no "voice" for themselves.[/quote]

I am of the opinion (and only that) that there is no need for these people to "show face". We have all seen the TV footage from Haiti, which alone would make most people have extreme compassion towards those suffering. These people don't need a voice, the pictures speak for them. We don't need the likes of Madonna or Simon Cowell feasting off their misery.

crayola
23-Jan-10, 20:48
I hope Simon Cowell has donated money towards helping Haiti. I certainly have.

You can do it here (http://www.dec.org.uk/donate_now/)

cherokee
23-Jan-10, 21:06
I hope Simon Cowell has donated money towards helping Haiti. I certainly have.

You can do it here (http://www.dec.org.uk/donate_now/)

That is the main thing in all of this Crayola - well said !!!

Just a wee aside here - "Band Aid" in 1984 brings to mind, "pop groups" of that era possibly jumping on a massive band-wagon of the time, but yet through their efforts, even then, managed to raise awareness and a few pounds to help those in need.

Are we, again, through concerts and media hype, seeing the same again?

If so, then as I have already said... let the band play on !

crayola
23-Jan-10, 21:23
Now why don't all these 'stars' band together and lobby our Government to provide much needed full and proper equipment to our soldiers in Afghanistan and much better care for the bereaved and injured instead of using public funds to bail out rich bankers. [disgust]
That's an interesting question!

I've donated to Help for Heroes (http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html) too. Whatever you, I or anyone else thinks of the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, I will not hesitate for one second to help those who have been injured or the families of those who've been killed.

balto
23-Jan-10, 21:49
where do we draw a line though, we could give and give to all these charities, i dont mind giving on the odd occasion, but to me charity begins at home, and with 4 kids to look after like so many familys there isnt much left over from my wages at the end of each month.

crayola
23-Jan-10, 22:02
Yes of course you put your kids first and quite rightly so. I didn't mean to imply that everyone should donate their hard earned cash before looking after their family and friends. I can afford it at present and I'd rather see my spare cash going to deserving cases than to Ikea or DFS.

balto
23-Jan-10, 22:22
Yes of course you put your kids first and quite rightly so. I didn't mean to imply that everyone should donate their hard earned cash before looking after their family and friends. I can afford it at present and I'd rather see my spare cash going to deserving cases than to Ikea or DFS.
no im not saying you imple this, just making a general observation thats all, sorry to have upset you.

horseman
23-Jan-10, 22:40
Well done to all of you, there is no need to squak about it-your input will be recorded in the book of deserving causes.:)

camor
23-Jan-10, 22:59
This wasn't meant to be for people to say what they would or wouldn't donate to. It was about some of the wealthiest people in show business boosting themselves at the expense of disaster and misery. I couldn't care less whether normal working people put their hands in their pocket, that is up to them, but for some multi millionare to stand on a stage and tell me to donate makes my blood boil.

horseman
23-Jan-10, 23:16
This wasn't meant to be for people to say what they would or wouldn't donate to. It was about some of the wealthiest people in show business boosting themselves at the expense of disaster and misery. I couldn't care less whether normal working people put their hands in their pocket, that is up to them, but for some multi millionare to stand on a stage and tell me to donate makes my blood boil.

Well said on that one.

Rheghead
23-Jan-10, 23:28

I think the problem is that video and music piracy is a symptom of Global poverty. It seems that these disaster appeals often are directed towards the support of poor communities so I can understand the charge that those who have prospered from the entertainment industry should give a proportion of their wealth to the affected area if they have taken so much from it but I suspect they haven't. If they haven't then why should they?

golach
23-Jan-10, 23:28
As much as I feel heart sorry for the plight of the people of Haiti earthquake and I have donated already, a collection of performers trying to prise more money out of the public some how makes me sick. Most of these people are doing no more than massaging their already inflated egos, they could actually be more productive by donating some of their vast wealth to the existing charities in Haiti. Instead they try to shame ordinary working folk to part with even more of their hard earned. I include Simon Cowell who will use this to promote some of his own artists. They should be ashamed of themselves.

What are you lot like, the Celebs are damned if they do donate and they are damned if they dont, so what they put on a show, did they put their hands in your pockets? No they didna, so what!!!!! I believe it was not too bad a show, better than watching Celeb BB and that ilk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pFSe2ALUNU

crayola
24-Jan-10, 00:20
for some multi millionare to stand on a stage and tell me to donate makes my blood boil.
Good! And long may it boil. I'll make a good witch of you yet. :)

Aaldtimer
24-Jan-10, 04:32
I think the problem is that video and music piracy is a symptom of Global poverty. It seems that these disaster appeals often are directed towards the support of poor communities so I can understand the charge that those who have prospered from the entertainment industry should give a proportion of their wealth to the affected area if they have taken so much from it but I suspect they haven't. If they haven't then why should they?

Rheg, that has to be the biggest load of tosh you have ever posted!

..."a symptom of Global poverty"... so impoverished they have computers to indulge in this practice?

Sheesh!:roll:

Boozeburglar
24-Jan-10, 04:37
I have to add my mighty weight to your argument Aldtimer.

My visits to third world countries and the poorest areas therein lend me the impression they have nothing to do with Bono or Beyoncee's latest hit.

:)

Aaldtimer
24-Jan-10, 04:47
Thank you for your support BB!;)

tenabowla
24-Jan-10, 20:37
Still a very valid point publicity/profit hidden behind caring noises!!