PDA

View Full Version : potholes

compo
23-Jan-10, 07:24
which road in caithness has the worst potholes. i would reckon its the south road in wick and geting worse now since the recent big freez. so my question is why isnt the council fixing the roads isnt that why we pay road tax...? http://www.potholes.co.uk/

opel
23-Jan-10, 08:36
U bet me to this post,, i was gonnae put on the very same thing today!

since the snow and gritter damage,, the south road Wick ,, rite from Dunnets to out past the cemetry has turned into an absolute nitemare!! thats both leaving wick and coming into it!
it was bad before the weather,, but now i ABSOLUTELY dread drving over it with my car!! every bump i think... Poor Car!! lol

I slow down to almost a crawl at this part of the road but u just cant avoid all the holes!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE WICK COUNCIL FIX THIS ROAD ONCE AND FOR ALL!!

brandy
23-Jan-10, 08:44
i dont know argyle square is getting pretty bad as well ....

The Angel Of Death
23-Jan-10, 09:52
I put a claim in for damage to my car coming onto the bottom or northcote street and after filling in all the forms was told that the potholes were not ideal and they wouldnt be paying out as it wasnt that bad even though i reported the problems to them twice at that very same spot last year

Long and short i dont think they have any intentions of fixing that parts of the roads and its us thats suffering for it i mean i was quite a bit out of pocket for a burst shocker and then getting it fitted

Stack Rock
23-Jan-10, 10:51
which road in caithness has the worst potholes. i would reckon its the south road in wick and geting worse now since the recent big freez. so my question is why isnt the council fixing the roads isnt that why we pay road tax...? http://www.potholes.co.uk/

The South Road is not a Council road. Its part of the trunk road network serviced by Scotland Transerve.

Cattach
23-Jan-10, 22:02
Pity about the potholes and many have been there for too long but others are the result of the recent weather with frost. As far as car damage is concerned, most people who damage their car oin a pothole have been travelling too fast and not paying enough attention to the road. Most potholes are avaiodable by the observant driver.

compo
23-Jan-10, 22:14
mmso the road runs through the town and is not the councils responsability i find that hard to believe..also its all your won fault if your car is damaged due to the potholesmm well there you have it its no ones responsability and we are all crap drivers..perhaps we should go back to hose and carts or just walk evrywhere. who ever it is that is supposed to keep the queens highways and byways in good order and passable is taking our money and doing what with it..?? repairing the M25

The Angel Of Death
23-Jan-10, 22:50
Pity about the potholes and many have been there for too long but others are the result of the recent weather with frost. As far as car damage is concerned, most people who damage their car oin a pothole have been travelling too fast and not paying enough attention to the road. Most potholes are avaiodable by the observant driver.

So prey tell how you are able to avoid a pothole right at a junction without going over onto the wrong side of the road sometimes you just don't have an option but to carry on through it

Rheghead
23-Jan-10, 23:00
Would anyone be grossly offended if I posted some photos of big potholes in Caithness given that they are clearly objectionable? :confused

golach
23-Jan-10, 23:03
Would anyone be grossly offended if I posted some photos of big potholes in Caithness given that they are clearly objectionable? :confused
Rheg the anti pothole polis will get ye , beware[lol]

laguna2
23-Jan-10, 23:11

I really don't think I can take any more after the photos of the dead fly! Please refrain!

Phill
23-Jan-10, 23:57

Mods, Mods! Ban him, ban him now.
Ban him and burn him, burn him and take pictures so we know he's banned and burnt, I want to see the photo's of him banned and burnt so he can't post any more photos.

And then I'll be outraged at.......at.......erm.....what was this about again....

bingo1
24-Jan-10, 00:45
If my partner goes over another pothole with his car i think that he will take a mental breakdown lol:roll:

brandy
24-Jan-10, 07:29
see and they told me not to buy a 4 wheel drive since i live in the town.. wouldnt need it they said! *grins* well i showed them ! its like off roading every day just driving thru the town!

joxville
24-Jan-10, 10:25

I wouldn't be offened, I love potholes. In fact, the bigger they are the better it is for me, they help keep me in a job. :D

Cattach
24-Jan-10, 11:15
So prey tell how you are able to avoid a pothole right at a junction without going over onto the wrong side of the road sometimes you just don't have an option but to carry on through it

I did not say you could avoid all potholes. If you are taking care at a junction and going at an acceptable speed since presumably the pothole, being large enough to cause damage, can surely be seen, then no damage should occur. Cars on rough roads take a far greater bashing than someone driving one through a pothole slowly at a junction. There is a very obvious pothole at the entrance to Tesco, Thurso and still cars go through it as if they were in the Monte Carlo Rally and into a carpark with a 5MPH limit and a zebra crossing just inside the entrance lane - enough said about drivers who drive too fast for raod conditions and potholes.

hunter
24-Jan-10, 12:46
mmso the road runs through the town and is not the councils responsability i find that hard to believe..also its all your won fault if your car is damaged due to the potholesmm well there you have it its no ones responsability and we are all crap drivers..perhaps we should go back to hose and carts or just walk evrywhere. who ever it is that is supposed to keep the queens highways and byways in good order and passable is taking our money and doing what with it..?? repairing the M25

Trunk roads, i.e. those of national strategic importance like the A9 and motorways, are the responsibility of the Scottish Government. Other roads are the responsibility of the local council. Some very minor roads - maybe a track serving a scattering of houses - have not been "adopted" by the council and are outside the public road network.

The council has some money set aside for road repairs, but I suspect it is not enough to fix immediately all the damage caused by the recent bad weather. Would you be happy to see the money taken from schools, for example, or your council tax increased, or is a more pragmatic approach simply to drive with greater caution meantime?

ducati
24-Jan-10, 12:57
Trunk roads, i.e. those of national strategic importance like the A9 and motorways, are the responsibility of the Scottish Government. Other roads are the responsibility of the local council. Some very minor roads - maybe a track serving a scattering of houses - have not been "adopted" by the council and are outside the public road network.

The council has some money set aside for road repairs, but I suspect it is not enough to fix immediately all the damage caused by the recent bad weather. Would you be happy to see the money taken from schools, for example, or your council tax increased, or is a more pragmatic approach simply to drive with greater caution meantime?

I should expect that the potholes would be filled in time but not much point yet as the weather that effects the roads is not over yet. It is not cost effective to leave the road in poor condition because the HC are responsible in law for damage and injury and do get sued successfully regularly.

Kevin Milkins
24-Jan-10, 13:26
I reported a large pothole at the end of our street, and the nice man at the council said " I will send someone around to look into it"
Coat >>>>Door.

octane
24-Jan-10, 14:53
Just claim off the council or whomever the offending road is. Done it many times for alloy damage...suspension.....etc etc. You must get photos of the offending pothole because soon as a claim goes in the hole magically gets tarred up.

Scotland gas networks have a big part to play on the south road and many others too......forever digging up and using sub-standard workmanship in returning the road to a fit state.

The Angel Of Death
24-Jan-10, 15:41
Just claim off the council or whomever the offending road is. Done it many times for alloy damage...suspension.....etc etc. You must get photos of the offending pothole because soon as a claim goes in the hole magically gets tarred up.

Scotland gas networks have a big part to play on the south road and many others too......forever digging up and using sub-standard workmanship in returning the road to a fit state.

That's exactly what i did and the quote in the letter was the road conditions were not idea but the council wasn't liable for the damage even though i reported said potholes to them twice

Stig
24-Jan-10, 19:56

I don't think we pay "road tax" anymore, its based the pollution your car produces, just another way for the govt to rip off us drivers. We will be ed when we start paying for "road tax" again.[mad]

Turquoise
05-Feb-10, 00:23
U bet me to this post,, i was gonnae put on the very same thing today!

since the snow and gritter damage,, the south road Wick ,, rite from Dunnets to out past the cemetry has turned into an absolute nitemare!! thats both leaving wick and coming into it!
it was bad before the weather,, but now i ABSOLUTELY dread drving over it with my car!! every bump i think... Poor Car!! lol

I slow down to almost a crawl at this part of the road but u just cant avoid all the holes!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE WICK COUNCIL FIX THIS ROAD ONCE AND FOR ALL!!

Exactly what I was thinking today, in that particular order!! Argyle Sq is an absolute mess!

i dont know argyle square is getting pretty bad as well ....

sphinx
05-Feb-10, 00:41
i think the south road is a disgrace in wick beats me how they get away with having the road in such a state it needs done from the 30 sighns in to the traffic lights the council moan the have no money but they had a lot less years ago an they still tared and chiped streets and roads all over wick when i woz young beats me why we pay road tax .............:(

The Angel Of Death
05-Feb-10, 01:13
Same as the stretch of road from the halkirk turn off for a mile or so towards thurso i could have sworn someone carpet bombed it

I swear if the police see me driving over that they will think i am half cut and pull me over

One shocker down and i will be dammed if another one will be going the same way

sphinx
05-Feb-10, 22:24
if we all started to sue the local council for the damage done to our cars bet they would soon sort the road then by the way any damage done by pot holes to your car they would have to sort long as you get pictures of the pot hole and they were in the south road with buckets of tar the other day but what use is that eh...............

piratelassie
07-Feb-10, 00:52
If my partner goes over another pothole with his car i think that he will take a mental breakdown lol:roll:

Maybe he will have a metal breakdown also...:mad:

Dog-eared
07-Feb-10, 01:01
I recently had an operation on my knee involving drilling a 10mm hole right through the joint, top to bottom. The potholes make it very interesting being a passenger ! :mad: